Hi all,
I've been into semi-modular synths since 2017 and went modular in 2020. The past few years I have started to grow my module collection and I've just finished my seconds 3D-printed rack. As the distance between the modules gets bigger and I've just got a fresh box of knurlies, I think this is the perfect time to rearrange my rack and have a big reflection on the choice of modules that I've collected!

ModularGrid Rack

ModularGrid Rack

This is how I have the modules in my rack currently. There's not really an order of thought process behind it, except the lower row of the smaller rack where I had the idea to create a paraphonic chord-ish stereo synths in one row. However this workflow is still not really working, as started using the Ensemble Oscillator for FM-bass sounds and patching the other modules to the other side of my other rack as well.

Please help me evaluate my module choice and placement!

Some notes to help you critisize the module flow choice more specific:
- My sequencer is the Arturia Keystep Pro, which has four tracks of CV/Gate/Velo, one of which can be a 8 part drum track as well. I'm leaning towards getting an Arturia Beatstep Pro as well, as I like the workflow and it is way cheaper than having a "basic" (linear 16 step type) drum sequencer in my rack.
- Outside the rack I have a Modal Argon8 Wavetable Synthesizer, Arturia Microfreak and Alesis NanoPiano as other sound sources. As my rack grows I'm considering selling at least one, I'm not sure which one yet.
- Mixer is a 1010Music Bluebox (non-eurorack version), so mixing is mainly done outside the rack. The mixers in my rack are used to create some sub-mixes for drums or bass sounds to have some free channels on the Bluebox for my other synths.
- The Addac 213's are meant to prevent very long cables running from one rack to the other.
- I make music in the styles of melodic to hard techno, house, deep house, breakbeat and sometimes drum 'n bass.

to me there seems to be a lack of filters, effects and utilities...

I'd want at least a reverb, delay and a few more filters... and I can hear you saying "I do those out of the rack" but... applying delays and reverbs early in the chain can work very well...

as for utilities - a matrix mixer (the king of mixers imo) can make limited modulation go a lot further and in much more interesting ways... also some extra attenuverters/offsets would help...

as for layout - I like from top to bottom/left to right:

sound sources, modulation sources, sound modifiers, control - with utilities spread throughout

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hi Jim,
Thanks for your reply! I will take a look into a matrix or another interesting mixer. And indeed add some more atten/offsets and VCAs.

I've initially held back on FX in the rack as I didn't find them very interesting, but I will look into more interesting fx modules. Do you have recommendations on effect modules and interesting other modules to pair them with?

As for the filter, I can't deny that fany sounding cool stereo effect type filters like the Makenoise QPAS are on my whish list, but are also getting expensive fast. For one (or more) filters as well, any recommendations and which modules would you pair them with?

Hi Jim,
Thanks for your reply!

No Problem!

I will take a look into a matrix or another interesting mixer. And indeed add some more atten/offsets and VCAs.

Matrix mixers are partivcularly useful as they do many to many mixing - so you can, for example, take copies of 4 modulation sources (using mults or stackcables) and derive another 4 related, but more complex modulation signals out - they can also be used for setting up send/returns etc - really useful - I've got 2 and another one wouldn't hurt!

I've initially held back on FX in the rack as I didn't find them very interesting, but I will look into more interesting fx modules. Do you have recommendations on effect modules and interesting other modules to pair them with?

fx out of the rack are great too.. I have a decent pedal collection - and use them with my modular via pedal interface modules in most cases (some don't need them), but it's always useful to have a couple in the rack - so you can just patch them in - for example reverb before distortion - with the right module can give shoegazey vibes... I have both an fx aid pro and an xl... I'd recommend the pro as a first purchase out of the 2... it's much easier to tell which algo you are using & there are a few useful features - scope for instance - plus if you want a second effect unit - then you can get an xl or regular fx aid and set them up so that the pro works as a cheat sheet for the other(s) - load the same algos into the 1st32 slots

As for the filter, I can't deny that fany sounding cool stereo effect type filters like the Makenoise QPAS are on my whish list, but are also getting expensive fast. For one (or more) filters as well, any recommendations and which modules would you pair them with?
-- deurstopjoris

most of my filters are doepfer - I particularly like the SEM... they are in expensive and fine... I also only own 1 stereo filter (the q-bit prism) but I often send rings (or other stereo sources) through a couple of different mono filters...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities