Hello CV nerds,

After playing around in vcv I would like to build a modular system that is compact yet complete ;) lol

• Mixing and fx will be done through an iPad.
  • For drums I will be using a Pulsar 23

I was thinking about something like this : https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2409886.jpg

!

• Do you guys see any incoerance ?
  • Lack of functions ?
  • Do I have enough VCAs ?
  • Do I really need Maths ?

Pulsar 23 works in 0-10v range so I would need a way to amplify eurorack signal by 2 (I think).

• Is Pam capable of sending Pulsar 23 "compatible" gate signals ?
  • Could I use the ES-9 and the Aum iPad app to amplify a function or an LFO before sending it to Pulsar 23 ?
    • Maybe I need a dedicated module ?
  • Do you know any Oscilloscope iPad app that can be used with the ES-9 ?

Last question :

• What modules would you recommand me to buy to get sarted ?

Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge

& the link (cos jpgs suck)

ModularGrid Rack

& onto remarks:

too many sound sources for this size rack... 1 per row is a good rule of thumb... that way you end up with enough space for the support modules that they need to get the most out of them

sequencer and quantizer? quantixer not really necessary as sequencer includes quantizer...and Pams can alsoo act aas a quantizer if needed

how are you intending to use the sampler??? percussion? if so do you really need the plonk?

only 1 massive filter? I'd go for something smaller... so there's more space for something else...

no expanders for zadar/batumi? they are useful...

no submixing? I'd go for a happy nerding 3 * vca - it'll add a vc mixer in...

take a look at my signature and think about how it relates to your rack - the formula especially gives more versatility in 0patching for least expense...

not convinced of the need for a logic module - pams has logic built in...

I'd want a matrix mixer for combining modulation sources to make more interesting ones

the rack is a weird size usually 84hp or 104hp is standard - not 86hp - I'd go for 104hp, this way you will have space to expand and add functions you've missed... or as you start buying modules those you decide you want instead - no plan survives contact with the enemy (in this case the enemy is you)

having mixing and effects in the rack are actually great ideas - it's modular you can connect them however you feel like - delay before a filter... reverb before a vca... mixing sound sources before filtering or whatever - experimentation is key

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hey, thanks

I think you are right, Plonk is not needed here as Squid is a sound source on it's own.
The massive filter seemed a good idea as it is actually 2 filters with drive and fm so it can handle 2 sound sources.
I will have a look at zadar and batumi expander as I am not aware of them
I was thinkin about doing the mixing on the iPad but if space alows it maybe submixing would be usefull

Squid I want to use for cv live looping to build nice melodic and harmonic progressions.
It is something I do in VCV with S&H + VCA + polyphonic quantizer and logic. The idea is to make melodic progressions by grabing a note from the melody and randomly routing it back to the root note input of the quantizer. I also try to change rythms and add silence in the same way. I use logic to space events out or add randomness. But I am not very experienced so maybe there are better ways to do that.
Squid could also be used as a way of building a library off sounds created with the modular. These sound can then be triggered or sequenced and give me 8 more sound sources.

Basicaly what I what to avoid in modular is a continuous flow of sound playing on the same rythm and notes :)

Hey, thanks

I think you are right, Plonk is not needed here as Squid is a sound source on it's own.
The massive filter seemed a good idea as it is actually 2 filters with drive and fm so it can handle 2 sound sources.

there are smaller filters that will do this... also 2 individual filters is often a good idea - they sound different...

I will have a look at zadar and batumi expander as I am not aware of them

read the manuals thoroughly and make sure you understand them before you buy the modules = less surprises - if you have questions, ask...

I was thinkin about doing the mixing on the iPad but if space alows it maybe submixing would be usefull

sub mixing is for adding sound sources oir individual waveforms before processing with for example a filter...

It is something I do in VCV with S&H + VCA + polyphonic quantizer and logic. The idea is to make melodic progressions by grabing a note from the melody and randomly routing it back to the root note input of the quantizer. I also try to change rythms and add silence in the same way. I use logic to space events out or add randomness. But I am not very experienced so maybe there are better ways to do that.

Pams can do this on it's own...

Squid could also be used as a way of building a library off sounds created with the modular. These sound can then be triggered or sequenced and give me 8 more sound sources.

imo that is a lot of sound sources in such a small case - where often each sound source will want processing...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

hey, I don't know if you are still looking for input on this, but I am using Pamelas in conjunction with a Pulsar and think its absolutely brilliant. It can send out a huge variety of random triggers, gates, sequences, envelopes, lfo's. I am sequencing the pulsar from an octatrack which I run through the mutant brain to also sequence two voices in the rack.

I don't use Pamelas that much for jamming but during production this has proven a mighty addition. Mainly due to HP efficiency, as there's not really anything Pamela does in terms of uniqueness. It also saves a lot of crocodile clips in order to do some modulation straight from pam's. I was also thinking of buying the expanders to send a clock from pams to pulsar without using a midi-splitter, but maybe much of that setup is just unneccesary.