I'm planning on buiding a eurorack to connect to a keyboard for dugeon synth and dark ambient style music. Capable of soft, vintage and retro sound scapes. I'd like to keep everything minimal. Not too many modules with a small case build (65hp). Modules im looking for would be an fm oscillator, a filter, envelope controls (adsr), some vintage or lofi effects. And some delay reverb modules at the end.

I'm planning on buiding a eurorack to connect to a keyboard for dugeon synth and dark ambient style music. Capable of soft, vintage and retro sound scapes. I'd like to keep everything minimal. Not too many modules with a small case build (65hp). Modules im looking for would be an fm oscillator, a filter, envelope controls (adsr), some vintage or lofi effects. And some delay reverb modules at the end.
-- Meenthgrea

with only 65hp you have run out of space before you fulfill your list of wanted modules - at least in any way that takes basic ergonomics, ie playability, into account... it is not unusual for newbies to

this does not include any space for the modules that you have left out that are needed to support the modules you think you want - specifically modulation and utilities... or for any expansion at a later date

further note - an fm oscillator is often paired with another vco in order to facilitate audio rate fm (

NB - the tex-mix master section requires at least 1 of the 4 * (stereo/mono) channel modules to work

I strongly suggest starting with a substantially larger case - tiptop mantis is an excellent starter case & still portable (unless you are a small child) - or significantly rethinking what will go in the case - for example a lot of the effects could be handled by effects pedals (don't forget some pedal interfaces for matching volume/impedence)

take a look at my signature & spend a significant amount of time considering the contents and how they would appky to any modular synth you might want to construct & then revisit the 'dream rack' applying these thoughts...

I'd also strongly recommend starting with a minimum viable synth - a sound source, a sound modifier, a modulation source, a way to play and a way to listen... plus an attenuverter/offset module (happy nerding 3 * mia for example) and a quad cascading vca - some of these functions may be overlap on modules - a Pams can do modulation & envelopes and quantized stepped random for instance & a quad cascading vca can also be used as a mono output

hint: start with the modules that are both wanted and needed and NOT the case

hope this helps...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities