this user has left ModularGrid

OP has left Modulargrid

My music on Bandcamp - Instagram - YouTube

Across the industry I have experienced a +30% failure rate of Eurorack modules. This is unacceptable. These companies should be held responsible for their horrible, low quality production practices.
-- Humdrum

30% failure rate?!? I've not had a single module fail. Is the power in your rack suitable? Seems there might be something else going on.

Across the industry I have experienced a +30% failure rate of Eurorack modules. This is unacceptable. These companies should be held responsible for their horrible, low quality production practices.
-- Humdrum

30% failure rate?!? I've not had a single module fail. Is the power in your rack suitable? Seems there might be something else going on.

-- farkas

I wouldn't go so far as not having had a single module fail - I've had 1 or 2 go - but that's out of a hundred over 7-8 years...

either the OP is incredibly unlucky or there is something causing the problems... quite possibly power as @farkas suggests!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

OP has left Modulargrid

It is obvious to me Klavis is just another low quality Eurorack company who cares little about the quality of their products. 

I strongly disagree.
I have some Klavis modules in my system, they are all good and works as it should.
Very solid built, skiff friendly, they have clean good panel and ergonomic, and are priced well.
Caltrans: is my main tool for tonal stuff and to keep different Oscillators in tune, no problem since day 1, it works perfect.
Mixwitch: again, super clever, deep and useful module, never had any problem.
So, I think that you have been very unlucky...
I can understand the frustration when a piece of gear does not work as expected, but ranting on a Forum and bash a well reputable manufacturer won't solve your issues, nor change the perception of other happy customers.
Eric from Klavis is helpful and for sure cares about his products, have you tried to reach him via mail to explain your module's issue?

at this point id be trying any new modules i got on someone else's system first.

I believe your experience completely but weird stuff can happen and your module failure rate (for whatever reason) is bonkers. Im really sorry that youve felt attacked by folks. i think this is just an interesting problem and people are inclined to try and help, not because we think you are stupid. none of us can tell what your past experience has been but it seems like its been frustrating as hell.

Humdrum:
Yes, I have reached out to Klavis, and i dont need to prove myself to anyone on this forum. This place is obviously toxic. I am simply letting others know about my experience. Take it or leave it, but denying someones experience based on you person perseption is gaslighting. Super not cool. This isnt the only busted module im dealing with at the moment but i wont get imto that cause im sure noone here will belive me anyway. I wont take up any more time on your forum. Here is a video of the issue. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mNvoETjin7nBAN_JE1X5QiPtYTPpy2NL/view?usp=drivesdk

Stop putting words in my mouth.
I'm not deny anything, and I see you like the word gaslighting, cool.
As I said I think that you have been very unlucky, and maybe exaggerating things out of frustration, (you diss Klavis and Mutable Instruments, 2 of the most respected brands in the eurorack format, and for a reason, with unparallel support and quality)
The fact that you had issues with some modules doesn't make the brand horrible and low quality.
If a module is defective or doesn't suit your needs you have warranty and can send it back to the reseller or shop.
I think the best solution is to contact Klavis, and link the video of your issues to them. You said that you already contacted Klavis. What's the response? I Hope you can resolve the issue

In the video you unplug the cable from output A (working) and plug it into input B (shouldnt output anything, so also working as expected)

the arrow from input A to input B means the input is normalised from input A, it doesnt mean its the associated output for A

plugging the cable into input b breaks the normalisation, so the signal going into input a wont be passed through to input b

then you plug the first ochd signal into output A and ... yeah that makes the module work weird. its not supposed to be plugged in there.

it isnt two pairs of in/out... inputs are at the top, outputs are at the bottom (indicated by the dark ring around the socket)

That is why it isn't producing an output/behaving as you expect.

always check which are the inputs and outputs. not all modules can handle incorrect patching... it might be breaking your modules or producing weird behaviour

Merry Christmas

So, this is how certain brands get harmed, myths are being spread about malfunctional modules. Mostly these problems seem to be due to user error.

Ranting on a forum is easy, getting personal after receiving some questions and leaving after is... questionable to say the least.

Calling out false claims is harmful to manufacturers when the person posting them isn't able to fully explain the problem or even worse: is causing the module to fail because of lack of knowledge and/or understanding.

well i guess my next module will be a Klavis. ;) thanks yall for actually being kind and welcoming here. Its made my experience learning modular a joy.

Hi @Amenbreak, I'm not a fan of name calling of anyone, would you be so polite as to delete that meme please?

No matter the level of frustraition in attempting to fully understand a person's modular issues I feel that stooping to name calling is at best way off topic and at worst is hurtful, mean and school-yard childish.

Yes, I realise the OP has left the forum, but that shouldn't matter. We are all here to discus modular Synths and we can dissagree with each other without this.

Thanks

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Just for perspective, I calculated that 31% of modules I bought brand new arrived broken (I probably bought like 50 new ones since I started). Given that at least half of those times, it was capacitors broken off the pcb's, I suspect most of those were due to the terrible courier services we have to deal with in Belgium being careless with the packages.
I know I'm "bonkers levels of unlucky" but as a very unlucky person, I’m kind of used to this and the stellar support made up for it, 100% of those issues were fixed super fast by the manufacturers.

--- Voltage control all the things ---

Yep @amenbreak I appreciate where you are coming from.

'We' the people of the internet behind our sometime faceless usernames never know who we are dealing with or what people are like.

A little story from us in the brewing world:
There is this guy all British breweries know, lets call him Terry for annonymity, well Terry collects beer memorabilia and Terry comes across as manic, demanding and persistent to the point where you are given no option but to be rude to Terry and tell him to F-off.
After our first encounter of Terry we learned from another brewer that Terry was actually autistic and really doesn't mean any to frustraite brewers.
It can be hard to be polite when you get contacted in all possible ways within the space of 10-20mins, then he'll chase those messages up, txt msg, phone call, email, facebook, twitter etc etc All in a very blunt or matter-of-fact manner.

Now we know better and do our level best to treat Terry with the kindness and respect he deserves, when we have new stuff we now shoot Terry a txt msg and let him know so he can send us a Stamped Addressed Envelop. And he's very thankful in response.

So the moral is, we don't know people, we don't understand their circumstances and we all need to learn to think twice. And yeah, I know this is actually really hard sometimes as all the above proves and for us in the brewery we learned from our mistakes.

Cheers

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

hi,
I think that this forum, like the rest of the forums, is completely voluntary, so, it is not necessary to answer a post, not even for allusions.
I believe that, once you have given your opinion, answered the questions asked, or advised in good faith, there is no need to engage in disqualifications, insults or discussions that lead to nothing, I think the best thing is to ignore. Although internally you give him a F*@&- off. It is my opinion.

@wishbonebrewery, first of all, you have one of the best job in the world!
I understand what you are trying to say, and appreciate it. I'll always try to act as zen as I can.
Hi @ferranadsr
yeah, writing on a forum is a voluntary action, from both perspectives.
A guy write some random unfair nonsense about a specific brand (Klavis) due to his error, as Sythic let him noted.
Even after a kindly and constructive response from me and other users, not even a "thank you guys, it was an error of mine, now I have better understanding of things, and I can move on making music" from the OP. He instead send PM saying this place is toxic, calling gaslighters, ecc... then he leaves Modular Grid... pretty childish eh?
Sounds also pretty arrogant to me and I'm tired of folks like this who think they know everything.. so I posted the meme (in my opinion a funny one) maybe it will be usefull to someone who will likes to bash manufacturer in the future without thinking for a second.
In the meme I'm not giving a F*"! off to anyone, nor using any disqualification, insults or name-calling, I'm sorry if you see this things. I see more of - to give the right dimension to the problem. Personally I found the meme funny and non offensive, but we all have a different opinion, it's clear that this meme disturbs you/other users and I removed it.
What disturb me, however are people making false statement, I really like Klavis modules and I want them to be in the eurorack game for a long time, not out of business buried by lies spreaded out by arrogant people. Spreading false myths or insinuation apt to cause harm to a brand is pure defamation, OP even says Mutable Instruments was low quality and had bad support...??? Cooome ooon, how can you say things like that? you shoot on your feet, there's a limit to anything. It's a niche market, companies close, there's chip shortage in the world and personally I feel we don't need any false claim like this, especially under the link of a brand's module in a modular synth forum.
cheers and good music to all!