Hey all, curious for your thoughts on my first modular system. I've got a lot of experience with and own multiple traditional synths (Moog Sub37, Kurzweil K2700, Hydrasynth Desktop, Akai, MPC One, etc.), but am new to the modular world.

Planning on using it for traditional music creation, sound exploration and for effects with my guitar and trombone.

FYI, I also have a Korg NTS-2 to serve as an oscilloscope.

& the actual link - because...

ModularGrid Rack

I'd take a look at my signature and have a good, long think about how it applies to your rack - it's a rough guide to getting the most versatility in patching for the least expense

imo too many sound sources, not enough modulation or utilities... & too many very big modules...

try to cut down to 2 sound sources... so that you can properly support them... I'd lose either the mavis or the cs-l - this will free up space for more modules...

starlab also takes up a lot of space in a case this size...

I'd probably want a free running lfo and/or perhaps a random/chaos module...

and on to utilities... this is almost always the case in newbie racks... not enough vcas (they are for cv as well as audio - modulate the modulation!!!), not enough mixers (again they are for cv as well as modulation & that cs-l can benefit from quite a few mixer channels before being sent to a filter)... and that's just the tip of the iceberg... utilities are really where modular excels over fixed architecture synths

the arbhar comes with 2 expander modules which may bbe quite handy

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

As an owner of the Mavis and a big fan, I would still highly suggest keeping that in its little standalone case it came with and filling out that area with more practical stuff like what was mentioned above. You should definitely try using it as an effect as well - not only for the filter, wavefolder, and built in modulation, but also for the sample and hold, which makes a great sample rate reduction effect if you put audio in and sample it at audio rate, kind of like a bitcrushed sound. It's a great synth, but especially when it comes with its own decksaver and all that, you might as well just sit it on the side like I do with my Mavis and Pico System III. Save the rack for things that can't go anywhere else - almost no one makes, say, standalone VCAs or attenuverters that are fun and easy to use (there are some "0hp" Eurorack tools you can find, but they're generally small and awkward). The exception is matrix mixers, which are an amazing modular utility and can absolutely be purchased standalone. Even then, though, you'd probably benefit more with that and some utilities in the rack and Mavis on the side than the other way around.

First of all, this is my personal view on your case.
Having a Cs-L requires a bit different westcoast approach to let's say a Mavis. Honestly, I'd replace the Mavis with something else, you have plenty of sounds on board that will 'trash' it (like Cs-L). Disting is a module with 100's of options you will never use, but that's my personal experience. It was one of my first purchases, but I rarely (almost never) used it. It's the swiss army knife that's always in the other trousers, while Maths takes time to learn, it can take care of tons of things. If you love the Mavis, you could go for the Instruo Transistor Ladder which basically defines the Moog sound. Mavis is advertised as 'westcoast crossover' thanks to the wavefolder, but it's not. When you build your first case, it's easy to forget that space costs a lot of money too, and in this case it's just too big and too expensive for what it has to offer (still considering there's a Cs-L and a Plaits clone in there too).

I'd definitely try to find a spot for a LPG like the new MakeNoise DXG which has tons of inputs. It's also a better option compared to VinCA imho, since only the top input works like a VCA. The bottom input feels like a bipolar ringmod and I can never get it to sound right. Mavis will also sound amazing if you 'borrow' its envelopes and patch it to the DXG. Same for the Pixie with a bit of help from Maths. Not using the Arbhar expander will narrow down a lot of creative options. What's really missing here is a random source, like the revived Ultra Random from SSF or even a WoggleBug (if you have the guts). In a case like this, I'd go for Intellijel Sealegs instead of the Starlab which covers amazing sonic territory.

It's a machine that demands devotion close to obsession. It's a machine you can fall in love with.

Thanks all, appreciate the feedback. I do recognize the Mavis takes up a lot of space, but it was the device that got me to take the jump to modular so just made sense to include it in my first rack. And to that end, this is just my first go and I actually ended up getting a lot more than I initially though I would. Based on my reading here, this won't be the end, so I'm sure at some point I will take it out and put other stuff in there.

On the utilities front, I would be curious for a few more specifics. I do have Maths, Pamela's Pro, the Zadar, Quadratt, the Belfaco Instrument Interface, the Intellijel MIDI CV and Expander (I have a Zaquencer that I can use to sequence up to four channels), the Happy Nerdings 4X mixer and lots of utility functions built into the other modules so I thought I was pretty well covered. Still, I am new to this and very much appreciate the learnings I've got from spending a lot of time (probably too much!) on this site and ModWiggler. So let me know.

Thanks.

If it works for you, that's the most important part.

One thing I'd say is to get familiar with all the functions in the Disting. That's a great way to learn what else people mean when they talk about utilities. These are also what help you really break the rules of signal flow and create unique sounds and ideas.

In terms of modulation, you do have some good stuff, but the Maths is really the only hands-on modulation here. Look at stuff where you get as many functions as possible with their own knobs and patch points to control LFO rates or envelope shapes. It's nice to have some more chaotic, organic, and free modulation to complement the programmed stuff from the Zadar and the sequencing. And embrace randomness, S+H, and noise - they can do a lot more than just make stuff squiggle and whoosh in this environment, and can help get things going quickly in musical ways.

On the utilities front, I would be curious for a few more specifics. I do have Maths, Pamela's Pro, the Zadar, Quadratt, the Belfaco Instrument Interface, the Intellijel MIDI CV and Expander (I have a Zaquencer that I can use to sequence up to four channels), the Happy Nerdings 4X mixer and lots of utility functions built into the other modules so I thought I was pretty well covered. Still, I am new to this and very much appreciate the learnings I've got from spending a lot of time (probably too much!) on this site and ModWiggler. So let me know.

Thanks.
-- BobOD

read my signature... and think about it!

maths: yes it has some utilities built in, but if you use it for more than just the blatently obvious, ie you download the 'maths illustrated supplement' and work your way through it a few times concentrating on what, why & how maths is doing what it's doing... and keep using it in this way (& this is really what makes maths worthwhile) then those utilities will be used up in self patching... maths is much more than the sum of its parts... it's in a lot of ways a microcosm of modular - a module that can be self-patched in order to program it to do more interesting things than it appears able to do just by looking at it

pams: again, whilst it has some utilities built in, they are mostly for internal use...

zadar: modulation source. not a utility...

befaco instrument interface: I'd class this as a sound source, not a utility... great module - I have 2...

intellijel midi module & expander: again not really utilities... I kind of left out sequencing, although I'd be tempted to consider them modulation sources...

happy nerding mixer: yes a utillity... but you need lots more of these in practice... they're for cv as well as audio

"utility functions in other modules": only convenient for that module, you'll also need them to be in separate modules so they can be patched elsewhere

utility modules really means modules that can route signals about & modify them... by copying (multing them), switching them about, mixing and modifying them... they're one of the big difference from fixed architecture synths... they're what really allow you to patch your modular in different ways...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks all; much appreciated.