Hi!

I've been having a lot of fun exploring the sonic possibilities of my limited modular setup. I'm now looking to expand on it, and I wanted some opinions on where to go next :)

Modules I currently own:
- Mixup
- Stereo out
- Noise Tools 1u
- Milky Way 1u (although I probably want to sell that one)
- Plaits
- Mother-32

all housed in an Intellijel 4u 104hp case, and sometimes I use my keystep for sequencing.

I honestly don’t really need to make something musical (although I do like it when that happens). I'm just looking for new sounds, and exploration. I have attached a rack idea I put together based on the modules I found online that seemed like a lot of fun. What's your take on it?

For context: I've been a professional guitar player for about 9/10-ish years, and although I love the instrument, I have the feeling that because I know how it works, I don’t really try and get out of my comfort zone, musically speaking. I like the modular because of the feeling of not knowing what It’s gonna sound like after I twist a knob or patch a cable.

That Vermona module is huge. I'm not saying it's a bad choice, but unless it's the main thing you want, it's taking up a lot of space in this smaller rack. Maybe take a look at the Muxslicer for something with a similar vibe that takes up less space.

You'll probably also want a bit more modulation - LFOs, envelopes, and the like. This is what makes modular really tick. The complex ways you can move sound around are much more emblematic of what makes modular special than any sound source.

Plaits doesn't necessarily need a filter, but you'd probably enjoy having another one in here for Plaits or even the noise from your Noise Tools. Noise can be a great voice in its own right for drums or cool sounds (or even melodies with a resonant filter).

Thanks for the reply! :)

That Vermona module is huge. I'm not saying it's a bad choice, but unless it's the main thing you want, it's taking up a lot of space in this smaller rack. Maybe take a look at the Muxslicer for something with a similar vibe that takes up less space.

I'll look into that one. I'm still a bit overwhelmed by the sheer amount of sequencers, and not 100% certain what I'm looking for in that category. The larger footprint isn’t a problem for me - this is a fun hobby, so I'm not against buying a larger case eventually (once I have a better understanding of my wants & needs)

You'll probably also want a bit more modulation - LFOs, envelopes, and the like. This is what makes modular really tick. The complex ways you can move sound around are much more emblematic of what makes modular special than any sound source.

Yeahh that's why I left the empty rack space as is for now :) Just curious, what would you add to this setup? There's so many options, which is great! But I don't really know where to look because of it :P

I don't always like to make specific recommendations, but I'll make suggestions here. Anything I recommend here will be easily sold to acquire something else if you decide to try it and don't like it. Just remember to learn about something as much as possible before buying so you know what you're getting into. Also, please don't buy too many things at once - with a Mother 32 and what you already have, it should be no trouble to go one or two at a time and get comfortable with each module.

If I were you, I would get that Maths. Personally, I'd also be looking at something like the Buchla Tiptop 281t or the Doepfer 143-1 or 143-2. I love the Tiptop one because it's cheap, super functional, and can run a lot of stuff. It can do everything from envelopes to LFOs and even some freeform sequencing if you use it creatively. It just makes my setup come alive. It also gives you lots of individual control of attack and decay, as well as some fun gates and the chance for ratchets. But just look on this site and filter your search by Envelope Generators and Quad, then check out the most popular ones. If you don't mind a bit of fiddling and a screen, the Xaoc Zadar is a really interesting one that is pretty limitless in what you can make.

The Divkid OCHD and its expander are also useful. 8 LFOs in the original unit controlled by a single knob, so you get 8 different modulations but they all connect to each other. You can always use VCAs or attenuverters on individual outputs. The expander gives you more outputs based on the LFOs (the manual can explain them way better than I can here). It's great for creating patches that are unified, but not necessarily by typical musical means.

The Disting Mk4 or Disting EX are great modules for 2 reasons. They have tons of algorithms they can switch between to fill in holes in your system. In addition, you can teach yourself a lot about modular by learning all the functions available and how they can be used, helping you to figure out what you need more or less of (or more or less control over). They can be both great fun and good homework. Ornament and Crime, in various forms, is another great example of this - maybe even moreso because of its focus on modulation, sequencing, and CV tools.

Another thing I like that would fit your "unpredictable patching" logic is the WORNG Vector space. It's hard to describe, but you basically plug in 3 modulations and it gives you 17 different versions and variations on them. To me, this is a nice cheap (albeit big) way to get into the sort of Serge style of patches where you're not really thinking of the traditional musical components and instead just getting the function from the circuit and letting the musical results flow from that. Some of the best modules are the ones that defy simple description in musical terms, and you sort of just have to sniff these out by reading about them.

If you don't already have a way to get your guitar to Eurorack levels, that might be a good idea. Not only for processing the audio, but also using the guitar sound plugged into an envelope follower (like Maths) to control stuff on the synth. You have an amazing modulation and sound source that many of us can't have even if we throw thousands of dollars at the issue. You should use it. Plus Moog synths make great pedals. Imagine having a Moogerfooger 101 with a built-in 32 step sequencer. Turns out you do.

Lastly, I'd look into a matrix mixer that can take CV - there are lots of good options. I have one from BearModules. Honestly, Etsy is a good place to look for these. Low Gain Electronics makes some nice ones, too.

Filters are personal. Just look at a bunch and learn the different types. Don't cop out in terms of size for your filter, either. You want a decent, usable cutoff knob that you can access.

for a guitar input I really like the befaco instrument interface - clean (unlike the doepfer) and has envelope follower and gate extactor built in... and can take mics (including phantom power) as well, so really interesting addition - to quote Ed O'Brien "guitars are oscillators"

maths is almost a no brainer to me - download the 'maths illustrated supplement' and work through it a few times concentrating on what, why and how - it will massively improve your patching game!

modulation is always a good addition - as are utilities - things that can route signals about in different ways and alter them - they also have the advantge of tending towards the less expensive side... if you ask me these are probably the most important modules in a modular to have lots of... see my signature and have a good long think about it & how it would apply to your

if you're a professional guitarist - I expect you have at least a few effects pedals about - get a pedal interface or 2 or 3 and try patching them in - experiment with delays and reverb before filtering etc

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Both a guitar and a pedal input / output would be ideal for you. Not familiar with the Befaco mentioned previously,
but check out what Boredbrain has --

For external guitar pedals:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/boredbrain-music-unifx

And from another company, Noise Engineering, the Nive grad guitar input is good (you'll need a 1/4 > 1/8 cable adapter
which are cheap):

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/noise-engineering-nive-grad

Both are smallish and work well!

your setup needs a good complex modular sequencer! Perhaps get a Winter Modular Eloquencer or an Erica Synths Black Sequencer? That will really make use of your modular!

Thanks for the reply! :)

I'll look into that one. I'm still a bit overwhelmed by the sheer amount of sequencers, and not 100% certain what I'm looking for in that category. The larger footprint isn’t a problem for me - this is a fun hobby, so I'm not against buying a larger case eventually (once I have a better understanding of my wants & needs)

Yeahh that's why I left the empty rack space as is for now :) Just curious, what would you add to this setup? There's so many options, which is great! But I don't really know where to look because of it :P
-- JellyBeard97

a sequencer that can also do modulation- Erica Synths Black Sequencer and Winter Modular Eloquencer come to mind.