A bit of background
I would like to build a system which I can use and enjoy on its own, but which I also can use as an element in live performances. Up until now I've been using ChucK (sort of like supercollider) to manipulate field recordings and samples I've collected myself over the years along with my 5 string violin+effects+looper. I also like to integrate clips from interviews I've done over the years.
This set-up gives me a lot of options and flexibility, but I have also been thinking for a long time that I would enjoy integrating a modular system in some way to expand my sonic palette (since tbh I don't really like coding synth sounds in ChucK) and because I really enjoyed using modular systems I had access to in college.
Despite some past experience with modular, I still feel very much like a beginner, especially with Eurorack. During my B.A. we were all required to start learning about electronic music and signal flow on a lovely Moog System 35 and two Buchla Series 100 cabinets. I really loved having these systems available, and since graduating I've missed having this option and the feeling of spending hours exploring the possibilities of a modular system. I get some of that feeling coding in ChucK, but it is not really the same, and definitely less tactile.
Additionally, since my only experience is using systems from the 60's and 70's, modern Eurorack modules are somewhat overwhelming in comparison. There's lots I've forgotten and lots of new things, so I've done my best to try and put a system together which:
- I could play and enjoy as it's own system.
- I could feed my violin or recordings into to see if that is a direction I want to explore with modular techniques. (Hence the Rings, Ears, and Mimeophon)
- I'm starting to think that 104HP or 6/7U would be more workable in the long run...
- I've already ordered the case (laser printed from Nonlinearciruit's plans), power supply, and a used STO.
- Maybe a second VCO would be smart to have. MCO, and Dixie 2+ all seem to be good options. Mangrove and Two59 have also caught my eye. I have some options I thought of below, but am interested in your feedback.
- I honestly wanted to include Optomix or LxD instead of ModDemix, but ModDemix was smaller than Optomix and seemed like flexible than LxD. But I could instead take out the Disting and ModDemix and have room for Optomix + a 2hp module.
- I'm a bit concerned about the size maths takes up. I know it is very flexible, but I'm wondering if a small sequencer/midi interface + a 2nd osscilator/lfo + Pip Slope wouldn't be better in terms of having enough elements for a system of this size. Or a Function instead of a Maths and some more compact 2/3hp modules.
- I have a Keystep for external control and would eventually like some sort of MIDI/OSC interface so I can integrate it with my live coding.
Thanks for reading until the end, and thanks in advance for your input. I've been lurking for awhile, so I'm really interested to hear what people have to say.