Thread: PRESO MALE

Way too much "sexy" going on here. You're missing a large amount of the boring stuff that serves to make all of that expensive, snazzy crap do what it should. Yes, there's definitely a lack of modulation sources, but without more VCAs, attenuators, mixers, and other stuff that has sleepy panel graphics and a lack of blinkenlichts und twistenknobs, you've got a MUCH bigger issue building here than simply dropping a few more EGs in will fix.

Starting with the above, and prior to adding anything, remove as much as you possibly can (and be brutal!) while maintaining the sort of base functionality you're aiming for. My bet is that about half of what's there will go away in this process. Then, go back in and double only certain modules when that doubling will contribute to the sound of a single patch. Doubling VCOs for detuning, for example. Next, if the idea here is to have a second voice-path, add that back in...but again, be as simplistic as you can, just like the above.

At this point, there should be a lot more open space. Now...start chucking in the "boring" stuff. The result won't look as dazzly as the above...but it will work far better than where your above build is heading.

But before doing ANY of that...go and check some tutorials on how synthesis methods work. Seriously...because you have 4 oscillators (but not...exactly), you don't have to have 3 VCFs. You'll get a LOT more punch out of taking all four and mixing them, then feeding that through ONE filter. This is one example; there are others present here, and one of the worst ideas I can think of is plunging into a $10k swimming pool without reading the manual to find out how to put the water in first. And modular synthesis can easily become that...OR WORSE.
-- Lugia

thanks Lugia for your reply.
can I ask you if you could provide me with some specific module that you will add (I'm thinking about what you said, " VCAs, attenuators, mixers, and other stuff that has sleepy panel...") so I'll look them out and study more.

About modulation, what do u think about Tides (2018) and Quadrax?

Your top two rows have all the fun toys, but there's way too much redundancy. Few systems really need three granular sampling modules, for instance... especially at this size. Or so many filters. (Etc. etc.)

Your bottom row looks pretty solid... good sequencing, VCAs, function generation, and a mixer. I'd toss the MI Shades in that row as well, since it's a crucial utility module. If you took that row, and added any four modules from your first two rows (two sound sources and two effect/granular/filter modules), you'll have enough to keep you busy and learning for a very, very long time.

The only big recommendation I have for something to add is Pamela's New Workout... it's right up there with Sloths as the best value in Eurorack, and it will fill in some modulation gaps for you as well. Depending on your feelings about using HP on things like mults (instead of stackable cables, for instance), you may also want to add one or two of those (I love Links for this, since it gives you several utilities in a small package).

-- Shakespeare

thanks for you reply.
About the granular, I've decided to drop off (for now eheh) the Abhar, since with Morphagene and Clouds i'm well covered in that field.
I choose Falistri over Maths, to provide more movement in my rack and I've choose those three filters (quite particular in my point of view), 'cause with 4 osc. I thought that three filter, at least, will be a good idea.

I'll look out for the MI Links, thank you.
And you where suggesting to put another MI Shades. Do you have some alternatives to suggest me?

I was thinking also to add a Tides or Quadrax.

thanks again

Hey there,

Any suggestion about this rack? I'm missing something really important? (I'm talking about modulation and so on).

Thanks for your time.

Stay safe out there and fuck covid

I'll say "Clouds" from Mutable Instruments. Incredible module for sound design stuff, u have a lot of fuctions in this super cool module, u can also "freeze" the sound, and than u can play with it (changing pitch, adding reverb/delay, cut the greeze sample into small pieces and so on).
Yeah. I think that you really need a Clouds

And maybe, 4ms SMR.

Cheers
Marco

user @loopino 100% recommended.

In my country, Italy, it's not really easy to find someone involved in this modular shit, but at the end of the day, when u find one, it's a blast.
I'm talking about user @tFunk, 100% recommended. Really good seller.
Looking to do more business with him in the future.

ModularGrid Rack

Hey there!
First of all, thanks to this amazing site and thanks to all of you for discussion about eurorack. I'm literally spending hours reading, watching, all the incredibile info on this community. So, again, thank u.

I've decided to open my first thread ever (i mean, ever.) because i would like to have some input, feedbacks from you guys.
About what? Of course about what i should buy for my modular, what i really miss there bla bla.
As you can see in the pic, i already own all of that module (i found a lot of really great deal on the marketplace, some module are not already here, but they will arrive).

So, what i miss guys? What i really need?
You don't see any effect module, because i will use my Earhquacker Device Pedals "Avalanche" for an incredibile and complex reverb and delay. I don't care about interaction with midi and computer (even if i have the doepfer A-190-3 just in case). I have also another sequencer (Pittsburgh Sequencer), a Korg SQ-1 and a Noise (Doepfer A-118) and a Mutant Bassdrum (Hexinverter).
So fell free to guide me, help me, suggest module or something that i really need (i've an extra doepfer case, the little one..)
I'm building and playing with my modular in many ways, but let's say that i'm really into (fucked up) all the ambient /drone (melodic) stuff. So, keep in mind that please.
My two fav band? Nine Inch Nails and Stars Of The Lids.

Thank to all of you for your time, and if u wanna write me, cool, otherwise, cool as well.
Take care, take care, take care (yeah, Explosions In The Sky).

Cheers,
Marco from badapuppi Italy