@farkas @JimHowell1970 @sweelinck yeah for sure getting this piecemeal is the way to go! I'll see how I get on with with whats there at the moment. Disting, the timberal sculptor and a eurorack external input module sounds like a good starting point for kick processing. Pams to follow shortly. I can start with loading samples in the Octatrack as per @obscuremachines (thanks by the way! some cool modules/great advice there) suggestion. I think you're right ahout disting ex - the extra power and slot you get seems like a no brainer

Fantastic advice and arguments here. Wish I knew more to contribute, but i'm sure that knowledge will come! I've always loved hardware synths but the modular world is an entirely different beast, and hey i'm in the market for a new hobby. For me, having the versatility to patch modules in unexpected ways to create something is the allure of modular

Thanks so much again guys, really appreciate the feedback. Yep I fell into the classic camp of wanting to cram as much stuff in, and even with my tiny hands I can definitely see fruststion arising with the wirey mess to come. Love all the suggestions and i'm in the process of modifying @farkas plan to something tuned to my workflow, eg still would like a dedicated delay so will probably chuck that in. Thanks for taking the time out to put something together, completely unexpected and a lovely thing to do. Obviously this plan will change as my needs grow and i start experimenting but in this for long haul

ModularGrid Rack

Right then, thanks again @JimHowell1970 and @farkas for all your wonderful advice. I've rejigged and made a few changes below.

• Removed oscillator/optamix to make space for changes. These can come later
  • Reverted to using Maths. At the very least it'll help me learn modular concepts, plus further down the line, if I find i'm consistently not getting the most out of it THEN I can start thinking of alternatives instead of relying on reddit
  • Add a Quadrax for linear/exponential envelopes plus extra lfos if i need to and also burst duties. Feel less unsure of the amount of modulators now
  • Changed to a more traditional matrix mixer, which is actually less hp than the lion. Small knobs a concern, but at the very least i can learn on it
  • Removed ghost- initially wanted to it for extra duties outside of kick when im not using, but replacing it has meant I can squeeze in more modules
  • Added a 2hp simple panning thing which i'm planning to autopan using logic, more below...
  • Added an extra mixer to the drum channel
  • Added another attenuator
  • Added an fxaid for filtering/reverb followong mimeophon
  • Spruced up the logic by adding an eas, and a 1u flip module
  • Replaced 1u ornament and crime with Disting for quantising/plus additional support modules
  • Added a vca and cheapo low pass gate in the 1u section
  • Removed all compressors as these can come later

Feels like i'm getting somewhere, what do you guys think?

I guess you know this reference video...

-- Sweelinck

Thanks! I've seen his rack he was referring to on here and did pinch a few of his ideas. Good video though, didnt realise this exsisted

@JimHowell1970

Thanks so much for taking the time out to reply and for your suggestions. A lot to unpack there- I'll rejig and come back.

@farkas

Thanks as well! I'm aware of the invert envelope trick for VCA. Yes three compressors is excessive- the thinking behind was to use Ghost for rumble kicks and then messor to glue drums together then MSCL to glue the mix together. Thinking about it, i could replace Messor with one of Jim's suggestions as i'm just being greedy lol

ModularGrid Rack

Hi all, after spending the past few years admiring modular from distance, I feel like its time to take the plunge with my own. Before I pull the trigger on a few modules to start myself off (already have the case, the intellijel one) I'd like some advice please if this is a sensible rack set up and if I need to add more modules to eke out the most functionality from a small space?

Idea here is a techno focused drum machine plus one monosynth (which doubles up as a percussion generator). I'm interested in drones and textures as well, so hoping to use the mimeophon to get some pads going.

I'm concerned I dont have enough modulation sources and VCAs, however im thinking as the monosynth will be the main thing to modulate should be ok? I'm also worried about having zadar as my main envelope generator, and if that's limiting?

I also wonder if i need a logic module in there, but dont know if that will be useful for this setup

i've gone for contour 1 + compare 2 instead of Maths. Would like to add another contour and select further down the line. However i'm ondering if these replacements will be ok or should i rejig the whole set up.

Thanks! Excited to start my journey

Edit: sequencing with octatrack via midi