I just had great purchasing experiences with @rsillsley and @fredeke - can recommend both of them highly

Thank you so much for taking a look, and for your reply.

I've been thinking about the rack size for sure. The thing is that I have an opportunity on a great value second hand 104hp case locally, and having looked at case prices it seems I might not end up paying more if I expanded later into a second case, rather than buying a larger one right now.

There may be a problem with that approach that I haven't clocked though, e.g. If I immediately need more modules than 104hp in order to do anything like what I want. Although if that was the situation it might call the viability of the whole thing into question given cost

You're 100% right that I'm thinking of it as a nexus rather than a standalone synth

Hi everyone

I’m new to modular and about to take the plunge.

I wondered if anyone could give me some feedback on my plan so far. I’ve done a bit of reading into theory and have played around a bit, but feel like there’s still a lot I’m not grasping. So I'd really appreciate any input.

I have quite a bit of modular-compatible hardware - Mother 32, Vermona Mono Lancet, MF-103, 3 x minifoogers, Vermona Retroverb, the Dreadbox Taff2. I also have the Korg SQ-1. I have the Nord Drum and would love to sequence that but understand there may be problems with sequencing by CV. I also have various non-CV-compatible synths and drum machines, which I’m looking to sync and sequence / play alongside. But I want to make the modular the heart of my setup.

The main things I’m hoping for are to sequence and explore repetitive / shifting polyrhythms (including melodic sequencing), the ability to rhythmically modulate my effects pedals (and any modular effects I buy in the future), and to some extent to explore droning and unusual texture.

ModularGrid Rack

I figure I already have two oscillator sources in the Mono Lancet and Mother 32, so for now that isn’t a priority, although I might look to a nice digital voice quite quickly. For patchable LFOs I have the Taff2, the MF-103, and the Mother. And for patchable filters I'll have the Mother 32 and Vermona again. In my head the SQ-1 would be the clock source, but I’m not certain if that will work.

Does my rack make sense, and will it function for what I’m after? Is there anything obvious that I’m missing that would be great for my aims? Anything I should be thinking about and looking at again?

One thing I’m wondering in particular is whether I need a sequencer in there, and how much that would open things up for me. I was looking at the Pittsburgh Sequencer but that only sequences in even steps. Ideally I’d get the A-155 and 154, but I think that may need to wait in terms of cash and space.

Any feedback very much appreciated.

Thanks so much

Ben