Hey everyone!

I currently own a Behringer 2600, and just bought a 62hp intellijel palette case. I write music for film, and am looking for build suggestions as to what will give me the broadest sonic palette - primarily darker/gritty sound design (with some ambient capability). I own a digitakt as well, and would love for this build to be functional compositionally away from the computer.

Any suggestions as to what this build could look like?

Thanks all for the replies! Will look into all of these.

Hey everyone!

I'm looking for a percussive/drum synth that can behave similarly to the pulsar in terms of sound (raw experimental percussive sounds) - but at a lower price point. Anyone have any suggestions? Would love to hear your thoughts!

Ya, that’s the only one I’ve been able to find. Looks awesome but expensive :(

Are there any multi-voice semi modular drum machines?

Trying to decide which one to buy…

Using alongside a Behringer 2600. Would love to hear your opinions, or if you have a better option in the same price range?

Thanks so much for the input guys!

Agreed that sample based modules don’t have the power/capabilities for what I’m envisioning. Do you think that the hardware sampler approach could match or have any benefits over what orchestral sample libraries already offer?

Rethinking a bit, controlling the rig with modular might be fairly tedious for what I need it to do… What I really want is to get away for the daw format a little bit and play most of the parts in on a keyboard, but use a sequencer to have a hardware interface. Then my Eurorack is just for sound design, and maybe some audio processing after recording. Does this make sense? Or should I just stick with the standard DAW approach?

The use of samples or digitally recorded audio in modular is more of an adjunct than a method for sample playback. You'd have less expense and more success using something like an Akai MPC Live MkII. It will allow for you to load libraries of sounds as well as interface with the modular synthesis world.

That looks like an awesome machine, but seems to be more beat oriented? Doesn’t look like it has the exact tools I’m looking for, although would probably be great for sequencing modular etc.

Thanks guys!

That sounds awesome Lugia - a few questions:
- Pros/Cons to this approach when compared to a daw?
- What main sequencer could I pair with the sampler? Would have to be complex enough to run a large amount of voices, and not be entirely loop based (continue to move to the next sections of the song), jump to certain sections?
- I’m sure the modulation sources would be helpful in making it feel alive - is there some way to play parts in non quantized? A “humanizer” function (could be done within the rack)?
- Is there a possibility for cv controlled sample switching (e.g. different velocities)? Crossfading between sample velocities?

Thanks for the suggestions! Haha sorry, I totally missed where you said hardware.

Of your non-modular samplers, is there one that would be able to successfully use orchestral samples? Have you tried something similar/had any success with it?

I’ll check out the module suggestions as well, actually haven’t heard of Rample! Looks like it could helpful in terms of sample grouping…

I definitely agree that using samples within a daw is the easiest way - I am a film composer and that is how I work daily.

I am wondering what possibilities there are for running a sample based modular rack that incorporates some element of orchestral samples.

Surely there would be greater opportunity for sound design that incorporates the samples, as well as having a new way of approaching writing.

Hey everyone,

Just for fun, I started thinking about what would be possible (and functional) in a sample based rack - for composing orchestral based film music.

This would allow for custom “sample libraries” loaded straight into the rack, and could be recorded from professional DAW based libraries e.g. spitfire, east west, etc. You would then need to be able to sequence all the instruments individually.

What would a theoretical rack look like? What would be the pros/cons to working in eurorack format, versus the normal daw approach? What sequencers are complex enough to create a non-loop based orchestral score? What sample modules have large sampling capabilities - and on a “one sample per note” basis?

Again this is completely theoretical, and I thought would be a fun discussion about the uses of modular - would love to hear your thoughts!

Good idea as well, I’ll probably go that route after getting the Behringer ARP 2600 (which I believe might be closer to what I’m looking for than the minibrute). Thanks everyone for all the help!

That’s sick! I’m definitely sold now. One last thought I had is if I wanted to incorporate a percussion based module, would it pair well with the 2600? What inexpensive options are there for a more aggressive percussion voice? I’ll do some research myself, but if you have any ideas in terms of pairing I’d love to hear them. And thank you!

That looks like a great option. I also might be able to wait on the KSP for now, and use my current midi controller/sequencer?

Thoughts on the 2600 in terms of versatility in sound? After buying the 2600, what eurorack modules would be best to create more sound/timbre possibilities?

Thanks! Might end up going with the Behringer Crave + a module or two unless another member has a different solution.

Okay, thanks for the help. For the sake of the idea, lets not take the case into account. It seems like it is possible to find or build a small case for relatively cheap… if I need I could find an extra $100-$200 for that.

I’m just interested in what combinations of low cost modules have the most versatility - yield a variety of different sound possibilities.

That is fair, and I have done a lot of research already. Although my goal is to own a large rack sometime in the future, I don’t plan on buying a large case/power supply in anticipation of that. I am going to start with a very small and inexpensive case, size based on the solution I go with (plus room for a couple new modules). Potentially portable, and then it might still have use after I buy a larger case.

I don’t necessarily need simultaneous voices with the small rack, as more than one or two would definitely limit my options in terms of what I can accomplish with it. I hope to eventually be able to compose full tracks in eurorack alone, but I don’t see that happening with such a small budget, so again that will be a future rack.

The main goal for the synth is to have access to a wide variety of sounds that I can sequence within the eurorack (unless an external sequencer is a better option). Mainly techno/edm, and sound design within the score.

So when I say versatility, I mean that it has lots of versatility in sound with a small amount of onboard sequencing. I would then record straight into logic.

Thanks for the answer!

Yes, I know the functionality will be limited. Right now I compose for film using mainly sample libraries in Logic Pro. I own a Roland JD-XI, which I mainly use as a midi controller, as well as a few mics, pedals, etc. Nothing specifically eurorack compatible.

The Behringer Crave looks like a good option, and that might be the way I’ll go if there aren’t any possibilities with strictly eurorack.

Still curious as to what a $400-$500 eurorack option could look like with or without a semi modular as a base. What can I get out of a limited amount of modules? What modules are most versatile?

Hi everyone,

Looking to put together a small modular system with just a few modules to start, and grow from there. I can’t afford a full system right now, what options are there for low cost, but versatile modules?

I know eurorack is generally expensive, but I plan on continuing to collect modules for a larger system - so I do want to go the eurorack route as opposed to other synths, etc.

In terms of style, I will be using this for scoring films, with an edm/techno twist - so lots of sound possibilities is important. Obviously that doesn’t make sense with such a small budget, but that is the eventual goal. Short term, I’m looking to have something I can mess around with while I work towards a larger budget synth.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions!