Thread: Rackbrute 6U

Regarding using the Mother 32 with another VCO, I assume you're meaning using the 'external audio' input jack on the top left of the patchbay. Just note that patching there inserts the signal before the VCF and the VCA in the module, so unless you're looking to turn the Mother 32 into a 2-oscillator voice (going through the same filter and VCA) or to just use the ladder filter in the Mother 32 with an external oscillator, then you'll need something else to mix it with a second voice. Cascading VCAs are always a good idea :)

If you're not sure what modules you'll really need to make patches you're happy with, you should consider spending some time with a program like VCV Rack or another software modular environment to try and make a few basic patches or view other patches to get a basic idea of what you might need. Looking to non-modular hardware synths that you like for guidance can also be a good idea to get a feel for what most would expect to find in a typical synth voice.

Okay, took me a while before i got around to it but I actually checked out what was going on with the module. I found that the tuning was mostly on point, with one or two octaves slightly off, but the first octave was WAY off, playing something around an E when the module had 0V on the input.

Recalibrating the module seemed to fix the issue, but I'm thinking that it may have problems with losing data that should be in non-volatile memory given my issues with the module powering up with the slew rate set to the maximum value. Funnily enough that also happened when I booted it up in calibration mode, so I had to wait a bit for the oscillator to slide up to the new octave whenever I moved on to the next one.

I'm hoping it doesn't do this too much, it'll be annoying having to recalibrate it often. I'll probably reach out to Mosaic as well to see if they're aware of the issue.

Anyone having issues with unstable pitch or pitch out of tune?
-- atom29

I do sometimes feel like mine gets slightly out of tune, though it's close enough that I often can't really tell. According to the manual you should be able to recalibrate it by holding down the shift button while powering it up, but I've not tried it yet. Probably will once I tear down the patch I've got up right now just to try it out. I also notice that sometimes the module likes to boot up with the slew rate much higher than it was when I saved it last. That can make it sound like it's pretty out of tune depending on the patch.