Whoooaaaaaa, where'd ya get the black maths? Happy it's working again!

Edit: second hand, I gotcha. I'm a bit toasted, myself, today.

If you can't find anything locally, Blue lantern is on etsy. Flavio is easy to contact. I recommend his Dual decay (ddk) module. He makes a few other percussion and fx oriented utility modules I haven't seen elsewhere. Worth a look.

How are you trying to process the kick? Are you wanting rumble? Just smack in general? Cleaning up the low frequency mud? Compression/sidechain ducking?

haha yeah - I don't actually have a pro, just an xl, but I intend to get one at some point in the future - and implement this trick that I saw someone else suggest somewhere - probably modwiggler - I've generally only used it for the lofi setting which I did know the position of - but I want to re-flash it and use it for other stuff - will have to remember to print out the pdf this time!!!

-- JimHowell1970

Duuude, I had my XL racked for 8ish month before I even realized I could re-flash lol. It was in a mylar generative knock-off, so not knowing what it was actually doing wasn't an issue for me at the time. In my live box I reflashed and banked based off of need, so delay into reverb is first slot, and the other less often used effects are around it. I also added the x0x generator algos to record into the Sample Drum. Not perfect, but certainly useful. I would love the Pro, but oh man, 32 effects/utilities/sources are more than enough for my needs. The added cv controls are quite tantalizing! Maybe one day! I'm going to dm you about your video synthesis later, if you don't mind.

Hey, Stoffaboy, where ya at?

the pro version has a screen and holds all the algorithms - so much easier to deal with, without a cheat sheet

if you buy a pro and an xl for example & plan a bit ie set the order of the 1st 32 algorithms to be the same as the other fx aid then you can use the pro as the cheat sheet for the other module

-- JimHowell1970

I've seen you speak about this before, Jim. I know how much you love the pro. It is definitely a solution.

"another alternative might be a Happy Nerding FX Aid Pro..."

Another second for the fx aid series. Any of the FX Aid guys are great, as long as you can keep up with what dot means what. Fx aid has some clouds stuff going on already, and is more instantly satisfying. All the x into y algos are sweet, tho you might still need a small clouds buddy to get some granular going. Even so, 2 og fx aids and a uburst would consume the same hp as the typhoon thing, with an insane ammount of possibilities (making a mental note to try this myself). On the other hand it would consume way more currency.

I also agree with Farkas. 104Hp will likely be too small for what you're trying to accomplish (maaantiiiiissss). That being said, "do more with less" is always a game worth playing.

I highly recommend the Doepfer Wasp filter for what your setup wants to do.
-- benscott

I second the wasp filter, it's quite nice.

Edit: Just make sure your case is deep enough.

Have you looked into filters or VCAs? Unless you plan on running everything through the benjolin all the time, an extra filter with a big ol knoby knob would be great for sweeping the Black Wavetable. A VCA can help get get some really weird sounds going. Modulating your modulators and all that. If you downsized your clouds clone you should be able to squeeze both in comfortably.

For the midi/cv you could save rack space and get a keystep or some type of external midi/cv converter.

Those Caixa cases look great, lots of functionality, which would probably cover your € per Hp between the cases you mentioned. Caixa is €6.37 per hp, the rack brute is €2.15, and the mantis is €1.53. There's always trade offs, In this scenario it's rack space vs physical space vs built in functionality vs cost. Personally, I'd go for a mantis, put in the utility modules I need (and also choose, which is important to me) and then have room to add whatever later on when I start figuring out what's missing

Just some thoughts, have fun!

I'm not a big rack kinda guy, like to move around too much, but it looks pretty heckin' fun to me. If I'm understanding you right, this is not how its going to look in the end, you just laid it out like this to group by function. What's the ultimate layout going to look like?

Of course! Have fun!

Hahaha me too, me too. I'm sure you'll be fine. As fragile as electronics are, they're also pretty resilient. Air conditioners have circuit boards and sit out in the rain and humidity for years. The electrical compartments aren't fully water proof, and they're fine for the most part. I've seen one get damaged from moisture build up, but it was a large swimming pool unit and it was the chlorine gas entering the compartment that destroyed it. I know synths aren't AC units, but as long as your thing isnt waterlogged (beerlogged) you should be good. Am curious to know how it turns out though, holler back when you get that sumbitch runnin again.

"twistenknobs und blinkenlichts" I'm dead lol. Great post Lugia. When I talk to traditional instrumentalists, that seems to be the main idea they hold on this whole thing. It's downright satisfying when they look at me like I'm an alien after I start sperging out on the technical stuff. "Oh, so you're not in it for the pretty lights?" "If the lights serve no purpose I'd rather not have them". Devices with no control over the superfluous lights are a sensory nightmare lol

What is the purpose of this instrument?
What kind of sounds are you hoping to make, and for what style of music? This looks like a basic subtractive synth, and you could accomplish the same thing, with more features and less cost, using a semi-modular. You could integrate it with other cases later.

Are you buying all behringer just for cost reasons, or do you really love behringer that much? (not hating, I love behringer and don'tcare who knows it) 84hp isnt a lot of space and there are plenty of other low cost alternatives that wont eat up so much hp. It's good to budget, but you get what you pay for. (not a dig at behringers quality) Sure you're paying less but you also end up with less space, whereas you might pay a little more for a smaller module but you'll end up with more space to add things later on when budget isn't an issue and you figure out what you really need. You might want to add some flexibility to your budget to get flexibility in your case.

Do you specifically need a keystep pro for all 4/5 channels, or would a regular keystep work, after multiplying the cv and trig? It would save you money so you can buy more/better suited modules to acheive your goals. If you want to syncopate the osc you could use KS for ½ and the s&h circuit for the other ½.

I wouldn't plug headphones into your VCA for a variety of reasons. Mainly you could destroy the drivers, but also you'd likely only get sound on the left side since it's a mono output. Thats not as much of an issue for feeding your interface, but a dedicated output module will work better and save you a lot of trouble when trying to bridge the gap between eurorack and line level audio, but you need room for it in the case, and in your budget.

edit: I see you're using € instead of $, so I'm assuming you're in Europe somewhere, which opens up a lot of diy/built diy options to you depending on where you're located. I'm in the states, but have started ordering from pushermanproductions.com and thonk.co.uk for these reasons. Even with shipping, I'm getting more for less.

Thoroughly dry and don't force it, like Arrandan says, before attempting to energize the circuitry. This should prevent shorts, as that's the main danger. Even though you can't use heat to help dry it a shitload of dessicant packs might help, especially if you can put them inside. The secondary danger is corrosion of the curcuitry. If you can access the internals and check for sticky build up, after drying you might be able to clean some of the the residue with 90% rubbing alcohol and q-tips. Just make sure the excess dries as well.

I learned booze and synths don't mix so well after twisting a knob off of an envelope generator. Thankfully it was just a round pot shaft that had the knob glued on, but still scared me enough to stick to traditional instruments and move the electronics to a safe location, if inspiration hits after a few. Not to tell you how to live your life or anything, I just know that's a bad feeling that can be easily avoided

Can't comment on how they'd compare, or sound quality, but it looks like it would be super useful for voices in a live case, before tying in with your drumage. She thicc, but probably less hp (and less $,€,£) than if you had separate modules for all the functions. Looks very practical and utilitarian.

Excellent choice with the weather drones. I started with a semi-modular, and after getting into it for a while I got the weather drones. I quickly realized that would be the perfect choice for a first module. It's a really good combination of musically usable and modular weirdness. For your output you might want to consider a noise engineering sono abitus. At the time of writing this NE is running 15% off on their site. Same functions, but ¼" Jack's, bigger sturdier knobs, and 4hp instead of 3hp. I own the Pico out and it's a great module, I throw it in tons of cases, but the odd hp size and the tiny pot drive me nuts. To counter the odd hp I usually pair it with 1 or 3 other Pico modules. Recently picked up a 1 hp blank to fill in the gaps if I find myself only able to use 1 Pico unit. That's all personal and ocd related, but worth considering. Have fun!

edit
After re-reading, looks like you have the out already, my bad lol

Ah so that's why they were awful and condescending when i asked support about PNW's expander pinout recently...
-- justarandomgeek

If you care to share, what happened exactly? Treating people badly, especially ones that put food on your table, not so cool.

-- yeahivandalizm

I was looking for info to route the clock signals to ports on a custom case, so I emailed support and they just said "we don't have that information" and ignored any further replies asking for someone who does. So I contacted them on twitter and got told "well you should be able to figure that out yourself". So I got out my logic analyzer and did. By far the worst interaction with a eurorack manufacturer i've had so far.

(i'd list the pinout here, but apparently the Pro's is different so it would be misleading here)
-- justarandomgeek

Yeesh, seems very Apple of them. That case sounds dope though! Received a similar answer from Strymon once concerning a pedals actual dimensions, because the only dimensions I found listed were for the box it came in. Lost all interest after that. This pro version doesn't seem that great tbh. A new screen and some new shapes that could have been a firmware update. Maybe I'm missing something.

Ah so that's why they were awful and condescending when i asked support about PNW's expander pinout recently...
-- justarandomgeek

If you care to share, what happened exactly? Treating people badly, especially ones that put food on your table, not so cool.

https://fxaid.app/

Customize your algorithms, group them by bank, and the world will open up for you. I thought the same way about it until I found out how easy it is to upload whatever algos you want, and in what ever order you want. I still have to use my ears and see what sounds best, but I now know my first 2 banks are reverb, my 3rd bank is delays, and the 4th bank is any algo that caught my interest while browsing. It's not a perfect system but it gives you more control, without relying on a list, and you still get to be in the moment and have fun with it.