Zack, thanks for your suggestions! Will definetely take a look at VCV Rack.

The three 2hp modules with the stacked patch points (the walls) are the problem indeed. The flimsy knobs of the VCA don't help either. I'm thinking of moving the DPLPG right hand side to the Tiptop Module. But then you'll end up with a mess of cables on top of the the Z5000.

On the other hand these modules contribute so much. One thing I learned while compiling this tiny box is you have to compromise with functionality and ergonomics, and for me aesthetics too. Did I mention power consumption?

ModularGrid Rack

This will likely be the final incarnation of my Little Effects Box. Got rid of the 903A and put in a 2hp VCA and a Meng Qi DPLPG instead. The DPLPG is very nice, especially for modulation purpose. For now I'm quite happy with what I can achieve with this little system but also encountered some limitations in functionality and ergonomics.
Thanks again to everybody who contributed to this thread. I learned a lot and might as well buy a bigger case in the near future ;-)

@Jim: Thanks for your very helpful feedback and for sharing your experience! Seems I'm not the first to notice that working with Eurorack is time-consuming and can become addictive because it's a sea of endless possibilities ;-)

@Dave: Also thanks for your suggestions!

For now I'm thinking to swap the 903A with a 2hp VCA and a Meng Qi DPLPG because I have to watch the power consumption of the Doepfer LC1.

And yes, i can see a bigger case on the horizon (sigh).

Jim, you're my toughest critic and I understand your point of view.

The modular world has captivated me while I try not to let my passion get out of hand. On the long run that could be a dilemma.

Yes, the next logical step would be a bigger case. Even though my small system may seem ridiculous to most of the community, I'm pretty happy with it for now. Combined with my Subsequent 37 I can get a lot of movement and noise out of it.

Anyway I would like to replace the 903a with another module, preferably a second synth voice. Does anyone have a suggestion?

ModularGrid Rack

I swapped the 914 for some other modules. Still no larger case ;-)
Any thoughts?

ModularGrid Rack
I finally swapped the Behringer 995 and 903A for a PPW and a Doepfer A-183-5. While I have plenty of fun tickling my Subsequent 37 and the Z5000 with PPW I intend to swap the 914 for one or two synth voices and a mixer. Which modules would you put in the 28 HP that are freed up by the 914?

Since I can't do without the 914 I plan to combine it with the 995 and 903A and a ADDAC104 in a second 48 HP case. What do you think?

Yeah, when you have tasted blood once ...

@JimHowell1970
Thanks for your suggestions. I was aware that my tiny box loaded with uncool Behringer modules won't be regarded as the latest hip thing in this community. One thing I want to avoid is to expand to a full blown modular system so buying a bigger case is no option for me.

@adaris
I guess you are right. I'll swap the bulky 995 with a Doepfer A-138n and a Doepfer A-145-4.

This would make my little effects box even more mediocre. But if anybody can give me an advice how I can fill up the 8HP from the 995 with flashy modules that suit my desire (at least 3 attenuators and a flexible LFO to modulate the Z5000) I might follow these suggestions. Thanks!

ModularGrid Rack

I build this to add a few basic effects to a Subsequent 37. Now is this pure genius or plain boring? I would love to expand on a LFO module but have no space left in the Doepfer LC.