I appreciate the input so far. Please check out my "Sweet Cecilia 2" build. That is the one I have gone with. The FH1 will be getting sold. Any interest? I have an expander for it, too. With regard to setting up a larger rack check out my "Current System". It is, indeed, current. Minus the modules in Sweet Cecilia 2. As for the mults, I don't have anything else I would like to put into the 104hp case that will fit. The point is to stay small. Not big. I'm just experimenting. While I would like to have all my modules at the ready (because I'm lucky enough to have quite a few nice ones!), I have lately been spending a lot of time sitting on the floor or my bed playing with the Pro-2. So, it is nice to have a small rack that is easily moved and sits beside or behind the keyboard without a lot of fuss. My full sized rack is not so easy to move. In fact, the last time I plugged it in the lights flickered around the neighborhood and the trolley stopped moving. :-)

(January 12, 2019) The purpose of this rack is to augment my Dave Smith Instruments Pro-2 keyboard synthesizer. I don't have any feedback on this setup yet. But if anyone is interested to hear what I accomplish, let me know on this thread and I will do my best to get back to you.

Thread: First system

Hey, skwidsoundz, that's really good to hear. And you are welcome! Would love to know what you found helpful and useful.

abs / lexi000

The Mother 32 is mono so it only needs a TS to TS 1/4 cable. So what your saying is in order to get each oscillator from the modular to a an external analog mixer or audio interface each on its own channel is you will need an output module in the end signal chain for each oscillator? Mother 32 to an output module then to channel 1 on external analog mixer. 303 Osc to filter, amp, e.g., lfo, effects then another output module to channel 2 on mixer. Wiard Osc to filter, amp, e.g. , lfo, effects then another output module to channel 3 on mixer? And so on so on?
-- Do0mal

I want to be clear here: to answer your question in bold above: YES.

And your examples are correct. I am not aware at this point of anyone who does this. It is perhaps less expensive to multitrack your recording in multiple takes using a single output module. A modular system is more than just a sound source. It's a sound system, but not in the traditional audiophile sense.

Than again it's hard to say. Perhaps you are developing a unique approach that no one else has bothered to develop yet. It's not like a ton of people on this planet are exploring this stuff. It's a pretty small community.

Yes! suomynona is correct.

The minimum signal chain in a modular setup is

sound source -> output module.

That is a the most general (or abstract) signal chain.

A more specific and typical signal chain is

sound source -> VCA -> output module.

This assumes you have a method of turning the volume up and down on the VCA. You could physically turn knobs on a VCA and create some pretty cool stuff. But you will never be able to "turn" the knob as fast as voltage can. That is where the VC part of VCA comes in. For this you need an envelope generator (EG) such as Make Noise MATHS or Erica Synths Black EG/LFO module. Then there is the new Rossum Control Forge with which you can design arbitrarily complex envelopes. And the term envelope as used here can be confusing because even another oscillator can be used to generate envelopes to VCA to open the volume up and close it down. The Mother-32 gives you access to its EG which you can patch in and out, I believe.

Here is a more specific signal chain I used recently in a patch with modules I have

Erica Synths (ES) Black VCO -> Make Noise (MN) Optomix -> MN Erbe-verb -> ES Black Output.

The Optomix was being opened and closed in weird and funky ways using a Synthesis Technologies E350 (Morphing Terrarium). Also, I was using Rossum Control Forge to move around in the wave tables on the E350 which was continually altering the way the MN Optomix opened and closed. Now that I think about it I was sending ES Pico VCO into the second channel on MN Optomix. The same envelope was being used to open and close both channels on the Optomix.

The point here is that modules such as Optomix are mixers which is what you want. The output from your mixer goes to your output module which provides a line level signal to the rest of your outboard equipment to interface with your DAW and keyboards and such. The ES Black Output module is also a mixer as well as an output module.

Taking a signal directly out of a modular system can be done but it will be too hot for most audio equipment which is expecting a line level signal voltage (anyone know what the limits are of line level voltage?).

I hope this helps.

Okay. I think I get it. I'm going with this explanation, "I am trying to create a system and need to know what modules to add to this one I am making on modular grid in order to send audio into a Focusrite Clarett 8 pre audio interface which I have or buy a mixer with plenty of inputs which I don't have yet."

I took a look at the Clarett. Let's say you were interested in connecting only the Mother-32 so that it's audio can be recorded in Ableton. Then what you would do is connect the stereo output on the back of the M-32 to any two of the Clarett's 1/4" inputs. Let's say you chose the two on front. To do this you would need a 1/4" stereo to x2 1/4" mono y-cable or breakout cable. Or you could use a "breakout box" which provides these sorts of connections in a box instead of a cable (it's more flexible options wise). Set your levels and you're done!

Example 2 : let's say you want to instead use the rest of the modules you've specified in your case maybe with or without the M-32. Then you would need an output module such as the Make Noise Rosie or Erica Synths Black Output. The Black Output provides two 1/4" mono outputs which makes it super simple to patch into your Clarett using two mono 1/4" TS (tip-sleeve or mono) cables.

You could patch directly out from any module into the Clarett but the levels will likely be too high. Without a way to trim them, then you will be clipping your signal. You need a way to bring the signal strength of modular down to line level.

Now, you could get patch cables with built in resistors to trim the lines, but quality might suffer. Or! You might want roll your own and solder a resistor into a patch cable! That's always fun.

So, what is your opinion of the M-32 and Clarett Pre8?

abs

Okay. I think I get it. I'm going with this explanation, "I am trying to create a system and need to know what modules to add to this one I am making on modular grid in order to send audio into a Focusrite Clarett 8 pre audio interface which I have or buy a mixer with plenty of inputs which I don't have yet."

I took a look at the Clarett. Let's say you were interested in connecting only the Mother-32 so that it's audio can be recorded in Ableton. Then what you would do is connect the stereo output on the back of the M-32 to any two of the Clarett's 1/4" inputs. Let's say you chose the two on front. To do this you would need a 1/4" stereo to x2 1/4" mono y-cable or breakout cable. Or you could use a "breakout box" which provides these sorts of connections in a box instead of a cable (it's more flexible options wise). Set your levels and you're done!

Example 2 : let's say you want to instead use the rest of the modules you've specified in your case maybe with or without the M-32. Then you would need an output module such as the Make Noise Rosie or Erica Synths Black Output. The Black Output provides two 1/4" mono outputs which makes it super simple to patch into your Clarett using two mono 1/4" TS (tip-sleeve or mono) cables.

You could patch directly out from any module into the Clarett but the levels will likely be too high. Without a way to trim them, then you will be clipping your signal. You need a way to bring the signal strength of modular down to line level.

Now, you could get patch cables with built in resistors to trim the lines, but quality might suffer. Or! You might want roll your own and solder a resistor into a patch cable! That's always fun.

So, what is your opinion of the M-32 and Clarett Pre8?

abs

Doc! Sorry for the really long delay. I've wanted to sit down and reread where we were at and these a long posts, man. It sounds to me like you are on the right track. You're developing experience and stuff. That's all you can do. Keep going. If/when you want to put together a modular setup, then say how much you have to spend and take it from there. There are so many ways to go here it's mind numbing.

MATHS is really cool. I recently was playing around with it and used it to get some amazing bass sounds. I really like MATHS and Optomix as a pair. And Function is excellent, too. If MATHS isn't available as an EG, then you will need something like Function. I like them compared to some other EGs I've used because they can be really snappy or very gracefully smooth and drawn out.

You said something a while back about taking courses locally to learn electronics versus watching YT and teaching yourself. If you have the resources and a little help around you, you certainly can teach yourself. But I would recommend taking a course or two instead. It would probably get you where you want to go faster. It would also engage you with other people interested in similar things. You never know what could happen!

So, where are you at now?

abs

Come to think of it, how do you get audio out of the Mother-32 if it's rack mounted? VC Mix?

Hey, Do0mal. Sorry. You're right. Techno. My bad

So, question: what do you think of the Mother-32?

I've been doing this for a little over a year now. What I'm learning is that a system can always be changing and there may never be a perfect setup. That said I run my synth directly into a Presonus usb interface and then into either Reaper, Studio One, or Logic. Actually, my perferred order is Studio One then Reaper then Logic way down the line. I also run my synth into my DSI Pro-2 keyboard or I run the keyboard into the synth. Either way audio out is somewhere and that goes into the usb audio interface. Or a mixer.

Hmm. I feel maybe I'm still missing the point of your question. Come to think of it, what are you using for audio output? I don't think I see an output module. The Mother-32 has a 1/4" audio jack on the back side when mounted in Moog's case, but if you have it rack mounted, then you have lost the audio output (?). I use Make Noise Rosie and Erica Synth's Black Output module which I prefer now because it's a three channel mixer and provides L and R channels that go directly to studio monitors or usb interface or mixer.

So, one last thing I think of: Erica Synths musician on hand, Kodek, is pretty into techno. There are some great videos of him using their Pico system for some pretty amazing stuff. Perhaps you might get some ideas by watching? Just a thought.

Right now I'm in the process of redesigning my system of 50+ modules and rethinking enclosures. I'm getting to the point in my understanding of modular synthesis and sound and CV that logic modules are becoming necessary. When I started I was overwhelmed with half a dozen modules and no understanding of CV. Looking back I could have started with just an oscillator, a VCA, and MATHS or Function (I like them both), and an output module. What is waaaay more important is knowledge of how to use those few modules well. That knowledge I was lacking and it would have made a huge difference.

abs

Well, I'll kick in here. It's really hard to say where to go with this because there are so many different directions to go. I guess: what are you thinking you would like to do with this setup? And if you already own the Mother-32, Wasp filter and such, then you already have quite a bit there. I can tell you about the Erica Synths modules. They are top notch (but their Fusion line is expensive). I have their Fusion Mixer and I love it. Without knowing how you might want to use this setup, it's hard for me to say. If you're just looking for drones and sound scapes, then the Mother-32 is a place to start and then adding another noise source or oscillator. Go slow. It's an expensive domain here. In fact, now that I think of it, the Wasp filter and Wiard Oscillator fed into the Mother-32 might be interesting. You already have these. You mention other analogue synths. What other synths do you have? Because you already have a modular system going here.

cheers / alex

Does anyone have any experience with the Pittsburgh Modular Structure EP-420 Case? I have two Elite Modular 6U powered cases I'm looking to get rid of and I like the size of the EP-420 except that I would like to use M3 knurlies with it.

Hey, bubblefunk! I've seen you around these parts

The tube mixer is a dream. I love it. Very glad to have it. And the Erica Synths Monster case (6U) is great. I am replacing my Elite Modular portable cases. I have two in great condition. While the ES Monster case isn't really portable. It is nice to have the extra width. The depth is nice, too. I didn't think I would like a tall case but I do.

The Control Forge is another matter. I haven't had time to delve into it much. I've done basic stuff. And I read most of the manual(!). It's a complicated piece of equipment and it is going to take a while to wrap my brain around it. I find I have to sit with a module for a while so my brain can ponder it. The more complicated the module, the longer the pondering. But I'm excited to get playing with it. I watched a lot of videos on YT of people using it as a sequencer. While it can be used as such it seems a waste to me. It's so much more than that.

I see in one of your cases the MI Rings. What do you think of it? Have any tips for me? I've played around with mine, but I haven't dug very deep with it yet. I found a guy on YT called genshi. He has some inspiring songs he's put together featuring Rings. I've learned a few ideas to try from listening to him.

No comments on the rack at this moment. However, I have a Dave Smith Pro-2 which works very well with modular. Kinda was built that way. Have you considered looking at the Pro-2 with a 0-Coast? Or Pro-2 with a Mother-32? Also, Erica Synths (one of my favorites) has some great system options including DIY. I love the Mutable Instruments stuff. MATHS just kinda needs to be there. I recently turned a corner with MATHS and it has become so much more useful to me. It's a lot to absorb and I have a small head :-)

Yesterday I received Erica Synths' Monster Case, new Black VCO and Expander, and the Fusion Mixer V3. Excited to hear the new VCO I patched it to the mixer along with the sub mix, twiddled the knobs and had a great time. (All while I should have been doing other things.) The VCO sounds amazing. Clear and crisp. And a lot of grit if you want to dial it in. Then I ran the output through Erbe-verb just for giggles. Holy Cow! I have never heard Erbe-verb sound so good. I've since played with the Black VCO more and the expander. Love it. Top quality build and the sound is amazing. Finally, the VCO also sounds great through Rossum's Evolution filter. I wonder how Evolution compares with Erica Synths' Fusion VCF.

Okay, Doc. Here is the deal: I don't have a lot of time to write this but I really want to get some information out there. You might already know about Muffwiggler.com. If not, check it out.

muffwiggler.com

1. There is a tutorial/introduction on modular synthesis that you might find helpful. I think it is poorly thought out, but it is a place to start. The link is here.

2. There is another thread on Muffwiggler about DIY cases. Lots of pictures. Some I want to point out to you are the ones with no rails. The modules are being screwed directly into wood! Hey. It works. Just a thought. The link is here.

3. Tell me a bit about what you DO know about modular synthesis. For example, do you know what CV is? Do you know the difference between CV and an LFO? Does modulation make sense? Does audio rate modulation make sense? That sort of thing.

More in a few days...

Modular Beasts

I hear you. I was, likewise, intimidated. My biggest fear was putting voltage into an output and blowing my rig up. It turns out the biggest issue for me is finding the time to deeply learn each and every module and then figure out how to make ‘meta patches’ that do fun and interesting things. I also rushed too much and tried to do too much at first. I needed to learn and absorb knowledge over time.

I have a good intellect but it is a slow intellect. It takes me time to assimilate information, process, and procedure. My brain insists on constantly finding ways to do things better. In any case, as I do absorb information, and once it clicks as it is starting to, things start to take off nicely. I like to think deeply and broadly (more deeply). I’m not interested in quick solutions so much. (I say that now but I change as I get older. So, this is becoming a lie.)
Modular is just so darned exciting. I love sound, too. Rhythmic sounds, drumming, droning, sinusoidal patterns, interweaving melodies and intricate patterns. Sound mandalas. That is exactly what modular is: once a mandala (patch) has been created, it is then destroyed. On to the next one.

DIY Kits and Life

First, I think DIY kits are an excellent idea. Go for it. I have been looking at some DIY kits myself. I really like Erica Synths stuff because I like their quality and the way they think. In fact, I want to point out to you that they have a DIY kit for a complete system Polivoks DIY Module Bundle II. The complete kit including case and powersupply is about 1000 euro. You don’t have to get all the modules, however. You can listen to a sound example of this rig here.

I imagine I’m older than you are. I’ve made it to 50 years now! I can hardly believe it. The point is that I have some experiences to reflect on that have taught me. One of them was building Heath Kits when I was a teenager. Heath Company is no longer around. But there are things such as Arduino and DIY modular kits. Actually, building something like that teaches you so much, even if you get it wrong the first time. If you keep getting it wrong, perhaps you have answered another important question: electronics is not for you! If you do get it right, it just grows from there.

If you are looking for a path in life, have you considered the world of embedded system design? Embedded system programming? Designing and building modular components and modules? Look at Bob Moog, Don Buchla, Tony Rolando (Make Noise), Dave Rossum (Rossum-Electro Music), and more. Certainly, a musician/designer could be an interesting and rewarding life.

Build that custom case!

MIDI, Korg Volca, and How To Spend Money

Still curious how you will find midi works for you. I will keep you posted on what I get out of it down the road as I’m looking to integrate it so some extent. I’m not sure how yet. I’m waiting to see what Erica Synths comes out with as a replacement to their MIDI-CV module (announced). I have also been looking at Mutable-Instruments Yarns.

Regarding the Volca I would ring every bit of use out of it that you can. This leads me to what I want to say about money. I have been down the path quite a few times of spending my hard earned funds in small quantities while never really saving to reach for higher fruit. If you find yourself doing this, I encourage you to stop and save for what is truly worthwhile. Another thing about modular is that if you take good care of your modules, they appear to hold their value well. You can always sell and trade. Hey. Come to think of it: how many places are there near you that buy and sell modules? While you’re thinking about life, perhaps, this is something to do. There are so many paths. Some you will find lead to the same place in strange ways. There is no saying where life will take you and how.

Effects Processor

Yikes! Doc. You’re breaking the bank :-) That’s a nice piece of kit you put together though (with lots of redundancy :-) I think it's a little over done. But tell me more about it and what you are thinking...

I would like to point you at the Rossum Morpheus module as an effects processor. I might be all that you need. Or maybe you will want to add some reverb and delay. But that might be about it. Well, you could add bit crushing to the list. And some distortion. But that’s it! Wow. This is already out of hand and I’m sweating just thinking about it. I can feel my trigger finger.

Anyway, if you look at the Morpheus, tell me what you think of the possibilities as an effects module for guitar and keys and anything else to be thrown at it.

Well, I have lost my interest connection. And I still have more to say. Oh, well. I will have to send this later. I have been out of town the past few days, so I haven’t been able to respond. We had a storm come through last night and power was knocked out. As soon as I am able, I will get this online.

Later, Doc! (2017.05.28 @ 6:55 pm GMT)

Sorry, owikeddal. I'm not following you. You lost me.

Hey, Doc!

I'm glad what I wrote helps. My biggest realization is that I wish I had someone to help walk me through many of the modules I have. I could have covered a lot more ground in the past year+. That being said, some things are starting to click. When I started I had no idea what a control voltage is. What is a gate? What is a trigger? What's the difference?

With the Korg products you listed I can see you are already on your way. Those products are like a small doorway you can crawl through and find yourself in this HUGE arena of modular synthesis. The learning curve is steep if you're on your own. That being said, it isn't really complicated. The modules can be complicated and the patches can be complicated. It is like the game of Go: the rules are few and easy but the game can take a lifetime to master.

The desire to connect a keyboard to a modular system is understandable. Now I can see that such a feeling is misguided. Not that I wouldn't do it. (I do.) I kind of misses the point of modular. I suppose it is paradoxical. A keyboard is not the point, but it is the point if you want it to be. So, I am interested to hear what you make of the midi module. There are also so many good synth keyboards on the market and a lot less expensive than putting a modular system together.

That being said you might want to take a screwdriver to the back of those Korg boxes and see what you can jumper to what. Just a though.

QUESTION : what is it that interests you to build a modular system? For me it is the electronics (not my strength), tinkering, the sound scape, and programming an analogue computer in a physical language of patch cables. Then the meta patch becomes the most interesting part!

Here are some basic observations I've made in no particular order. And I don't direct these at you, per se, but at the modular community for reflection. Perhaps someone else will jump in here and repair my understanding or offer a different perspective.

1. Modular is expensive!
  2. It is highly addictive. Just gotta get that next module.
  3. Everything is a control voltage.
  4. Does your control voltage pass through zero? In other words does it oscillate between, say, -5V and +5V? Or does it travel between 0V and +5V or +10V?
  5. Some people prefer self generating patches. Others prefer sequenced and structured patches. Yet others prefer the expanse of connecting a computer or keyboard to a modular system. I'm interested to explore all of these.
  6. Buy the best you can afford, not the cheapest you can find. You will be happier in the long run. If you don't have much $$$, learn to do more with less. It is amazing what creativity necessity invokes in us.
  7. After you learn how a module works, if it has knobs and buttons, then get in there and start wiggling and pushing. In other words, PLAY the module.
  8. You have to be VERY careful what you watch on YouTube (YT). There are many great videos out there to watch but there are also a lot of assumptions being made that are never addressed or offered for consideration. For example, many reviews of sound modules are run through a reverb (just a bit) to sweeten the sound. This is entertaining, but you're not really hearing the module in question. I do find many videos are good for pulling ideas which I then translate into my own rig experience.
  9. Make Noise has some excellent videos on YT that explain their modules. Consider watching these and figure out how to accomplish similar feats with your own rig. The tutorials on Rene can give some good ideas on using a sequencer for instance.

It looks like you are off to a decent start with the Intellijel modules. I will be interested to hear how useful you mind the MIDI module. I am just starting to figure out how to integrate MIDI with what I'm doing. I tried a year ago and dumped the effort. Too much else to understand first. And MIDI can feel limit(ed/ing) without the proper approach.

Well, Doc, I see you are pricing euros. So, if you are close enough to Latvia to take a trip to Erica Synths, I highly recommend it. And send me pictures. Please! I would love to visit their shop. I live in eastern Tennessee (USA) and Make Noise and Moog are just 2.5 hours from me. Have I visited yet? No. But I'm on my way. :-)

Also, right after my first post to this thread you have started, I rearranged my cases (!). Go figure. So, one of the rigs might have been empty. That has been fixed.

Something else I forgot to mention: check out the Korg SQ-1 sequencer. It's not too expensive and offers a lot. Integrates beautifully with eurorack.

I have more to write but I've gotta go...

alex

For oscillators I considered the Make Noise DPO, Mutable Instruments Braids, and Erica Synths new Black VCO and expander. I chose the Erica Synths modules because they were the least expensive. The DPO is the most expensive. Braids is a close second to the Erica Synths modules. All are excellent in my opinion.

There are many good output modules. I chose Make Noise Rosie simply because I am familiar with it and like it. I rely on it and it delivers.

Make Noise MATHS is so versitle you just have to have it around. It's an envelope generator. It's a sound source. It's an ADSR when used with the Disting module as a gate source. It's a positive or negative voltage source.

The Expert Sleepers Disting is useful in its own right, but it is also a great learning module to experiment with functions that might cost a lot more $$$ if purchased as individual modules.

Erica Synths Black Hole DSP is not strickly necessary, but it brings a lot of fun into modular synthesis. Without it it is kind of like shooting black and white photographs when you really want to be shooting color.

Make Noise Pressure Points is purely optional but can really help when learning.

I THINK IT IS IMPORTANT to point out that there are more cost effective ways to get involved in synthesis if you don't know anything about it and putting a system together. For example, Moog Mother-32 or Make Noise 0-Coast. There is also the Erica Synths Pico system. If $$$ is no object, then take a look at Macbeth Studio Systems. They have a stand alone synth which is pretty sweet and classical. I think Doepfer and Pittsburgh Modular also make stand alone packages. Finally, there is also the DIY synth voice from Erica Synths if you might enjoy building your own synth and then playing it. And it sounds pretty good.

Hey, Doc! It looks like your post has been left out here with us crickets.

My Experience

I've been experimenting with eurorack modular for a little over a year now. I have two travel cases and a skiff I use. You can see my setup on my account (current system #1 and current system #2). I am in the process of rearranging my gear and selling off some modules which I hate to part with but they don't fit into my rig anymore. :-( Like Rossum's Evolution filter is a really sweet module but it's out of place for me now. You can check out my planned rig which is Erica Synths Rack v4.4.0 (horizontal arrangement). I also have a Dave Smith Instruments Pro-2 which I'm crazy about. LOVE that keyboard. Very well thought out. And a Nord Lead A1. That last one is a great keyboard synth to learn on. It helped me a lot. The Pro-2 interfaces with eurorack modular very nicely.

Your Question

If this is your first system, you have quite a mishmash of modules. It looks very much the way I started out a while ago. I had no idea what I was dealing with. However, I quickly learned how expensive modular synths can be! If you're interested in ambient sound and sound shaping to start, then you really only need an oscillator and an output module. This isn't very practical, but it can work. Let's take it a step further. I would add another oscillator or get a dual oscillator module. I see in your "I don't know what I'm doing" rack you have the Batumi and the Deeper A-111 which can work. Alternatives to this are Make Noise DPO, Erica Synths Black VCO and Expander, Mutable Instruments Braids. I highly recommend any of these modules for a sound source. Good quality and keepers.

The reason two oscillators are more fun (in case you don't know) is because you can play around with signal beating where two waves of same or different shape are near each other in frequency or an integer multiple of each others frequency. Very good for ambient.

Basic Signal Flow

By the way, since you are new to all this, the basic signal flow goes like this: (oscillator) -> (optional filter) -> (VCA) -> (optional filter) -> (optional mixer) -> (output).

The simplest pathway is (oscillator) -> (output).

A step up from that is (oscillator) -> (VCA) -> (output).

Modulation can come into any of these paths at any point. You can use an LFO for oscillation or another sound source. In fact, you can do pretty much whatever you want, just try not to put an output into an output. Many better modules are protected against this though.

I see in your rig that you have multiple low frequency oscillator (LFO) sources. You probably have too many. The MATHS module is excellent. But it's complicated. It is not so much how it works but what can be done with it. Exploring the MATHS module to fully understand it is a small job. But very worthwhile. The Make Noise manual has some excellent exercises to try. Even better (from my experience) is find someone that would be willing to walk you though it's operations and teach you how to use it not just how it works.

Voltage Controlled Amplifiers (VCAs) are important if you want to shape the sound by volume. And you will. However, for every VCA you will likely need an envelope generator (EG) or LFO. Typical envelope generators are AD or AR, or ADSR. Let me know if you need clarification on what these are. I see you've selected the Doepfer A-131 and the Intellijel Dual ASDR. These can work for you.

The Pressure Points module is also a good idea. It is a great learning tool and is fun to play around with. It can be used for control voltage (CV) or pitch information (to a sound source). With multiple oscillators you can play three note chords.

Wrapping It Up

If you are interested in ambient sounds and such, then I would forget about most of the modules you have in your rig. No sequencers yet, for example. (That means you would have no need at this point for a clock or clock divider.) Stay with the basic signal chain and learn how things work. It's a steep learning curve and you won't benefit from making it harder on yourself. That's my two cents.

One other thing I would recommend adding because of the joy/fun factor is a reverb and delay module. I have used Erica Synths Blackhole DSP, Make Noise Erbe-verb, Synthesis Technologies E580 mini delay, and the Expert Sleepers Disting. I would recommend the Blackhole and the Erbe-verb most for the money. And I completely forgot to mention the Disting a while back. I recommend looking into the new Disting module by Expert Sleepers. It has delay and reverb functions. It is not any easy module to work right out of the box (Os loves to be cryptic, I think. And he programs in his sleep :-). The new mk 4 disting is more accessible though. And it has many functions that can teach you what other modules you might like to spend $$$ on in the future. For example, clocks and clock dividers and sequencers. And it can convert midi files to CV and play audio and granulate! In fact, the Disting modules are also a small job. :-)

So, my final thoughts, since you asked, are start light, learn, and build up saving your $$$ for better more meaningful modules as you gain experiment and start putting A and B together. $4000+ is a lot to spend if that is what you are thinking. If it were my money, I would want to make it count. Then again you could always purchase a gorgeous acoustic guitar for $36,000. Heck. You could spend that much on a drum set!

I like to share what I learn. It helps me learn more. So, if this has been helpful to you, please...ask questions. I will do my best to point you in the right direction.

alex (lexi000)