MPE capable keyboards? Yeah...I have and use a CME XKey25, which has the "typewriter key-like" keys. I found that it took a bit of getting used-to regarding the action (or lack thereof), but after a month or two, I got very used to it. The nice thing about the CMEs as opposed to the McMillan controllers is that the CMEs retain a typical black and white keyboard with spacing, etc that we tend to deal with when using most any other MIDI keyboard. The only flaw I've seen is that every once in a while, there'll be a VSTi that needs some prodding to recognize the XKey...but that's minor, fixable in seconds.

The nicest thing, though, is that it fits very nicely in front of my Ableton-labelled computer keyboard. Score one for ergonomics!

As for the Continuum...y'know, I've been tempted once or twice to ask Lippold why it's so spendy, but I haven't. And if I really wanted one of those, though, I could probably dip over to his place (a whopping 20 minute walk from here) and pick it up firsthand...but you'll note that I haven't done either. It's still too academic-composition-oriented for me to risk dropping several thou on an experiment in controllers.

This could've been solved by explaining that you needed the power supply specs. MG tends to show only the module current draws.

https://www.meanwell.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=GST40A

That's the spec sheet for the 40-watt brick Intellijel uses.

Hello, this is my 1st post...take a look at this setup. I also have next to it 3 mother 32's and 2 Dfams. I use a Matriarch as keyboard and more resource. I do ambient/progressive music. I humbly am interested in your comments/input. I still have two 104 hp cases above these 3 completed cases (not shown). So 208hp left. Thank you!

Isn’t the Bytom simply a switched OR combiner?

I just asked on their forum! Waiting on a reply.
-- soggybag

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I just asked on their forum! Waiting on a reply.

Big thumbs up! Sounds great.

I haven’t done any scientific experiments only back of napkin calculations.

I bet if you ask Intellijel they have a number. I’m sure they know the current consumption. Why not add it to this database?
-- soggybag

as modular grid is 100% user sourced info: I bet if YOU asked initellijel they might tell YOU and then YOU could update the entry...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

I haven’t done any scientific experiments only back of napkin calculations.

I bet if you ask Intellijel they have a number. I’m sure they know the current consumption. Why not add it to this database?

That's a great start! I love that you went right for the Krell patch. :-) Looks like you have a good set of stuff to start with. Wiggle on!
-- TumeniKnobs

That's a great start! I love that you went right for the Krell patch. :-) Looks like you have a good set of stuff to start with. Wiggle on!

That bass is thumping my subwoofer pretty good. I can hear various things rattling around my office. :-) Nice track. Cheers!

Yeah the Keith M - but it has ”flat” keys so to speak

looks like there's a $200 little red thing... seems to be the cheapest MPE controller out at the moment (unless it's been discontinued - says out of stock on site)

Yes the Haken takes both Midi and Usb I think.

I’m not shure how the Midi signals from the MK88 will show up to be mapped. The MK88 is on it’s way, I’ll know shortly. The midi settings on it seems very verstile. With one or two foot pedals you would get very many control possibilities. My expectations are high - we’ll se 🤗
-- CAJJO

good luck with that... have fun exploring your new keyboard and the taken module... I look forward to seeing a video posted!!!

Yeah the Keith M - but it has ”flat” keys so to speak - no pianolike keys - and it’s more like a $1000 the ones they sell now…Not many mpe offerings on the market. And, strangely, very few keyboards with poly aftertuch. There’s the Hydrasynth, but I have no interest in paying for that synth to get the keyboard.

Yes the Haken takes both Midi and Usb I think.

I’m not shure how the Midi signals from the MK88 will show up to be mapped. The MK88 is on it’s way, I’ll know shortly. The midi settings on it seems very verstile. With one or two foot pedals you would get very many control possibilities. My expectations are high - we’ll se 🤗

sorry, meant MPE...

iirc you should be able to go straight into the Haken module with midi, no??

I was just searching for MPE controllers, wasn't there a tiny one a few years back? single touch controller, not keys... the small Keith McMillan one looks pretty cool for 200 bucks...

ME keyboards ?

The MK88 has 2 midi out - one could go to daw and one to fh-2…

The Continiums are even more expensive now since Haken moved on to the ”slim”version..

But the Osmose from Expressive e is comming, but I guess it to be at least another year before you can actually by it. It has poly aftertuch and vibrato, and is shipped with the Haken Eaganmatrix synth, same as Continium - seems really nice in the videos.

I just got the Haken eurorack module. Setting up the Eaganmatrix with the poly aftertuch on the MK88 will be a learning experinence wich I’m looking forward to explore. I hope it works out well 😅

Thx Jim ! There is the service manual !

NP - 30 seconds with google!!!

Mmm I’m getting the Midi in expansion for Es9, and it should be able to recieve Midi, send it to the DAW, which can send CV out through ES9 ? But Maybe there’s latency then ?

Still not convinced, you can configure the midi to be midi through though - there's an easy way to find out though - create a post in the Expert Sleepers sub-forum on modwiggler - Os responds pretty quickly!

I'd expect quite a bit of latency if it does work! I think you'd be much better off with the fh-2 as it is designed for what you want it to do!

The Haken Continium is out of my reach, and not really a keyboard.
-- CAJJO

no kidding - eyewateringly expensive... but really cool - my daughter and I played with one a few years ago in a dealer - and then ran away once we saw the price tag!!!

some of the smaller ME keyboards are 'reasonably' priced though...

Thx Jim ! There is the service manual ! Mmm I’m getting the Midi in expansion for Es9, and it should be able to recieve Midi, send it to the DAW, which can send CV out through ES9 ? But Maybe there’s latency then ? I’ll look into it more closer. I wonder how the Midi signals from the Elka will be shown in the ES9 ? The Elka has 2 midi out, and is poly with aftertuch - and you can split the keybord in 6 parts - so there’s possibility for assigning funtions to different modules in my rack. Not really MPE+, but on it’s way. I could bot find a good alternative in any new keyboards. The Haken Continium is out of my reach, and not really a keyboard.

maybe this: https://picclick.co.uk/Elka-mk-88-Service-Manual-Schematic-Diagrams-schaltplan-schema-144312053111.html

reading the manual for the es9 - I don't think you can use it as a midi to cv module, midi only appears to be used for controlling the internal mixer etc - I think you'd want the fh-2 to do what you want!

@JimHowell1970
I agree the price of the Mantis is a bit special. It's hard to find a case with a competing price and specs. I picked the 7U because the Mantis was out of stock everywhere when I was ordering. For me, even the thought of ever filling a Mantis was a far away dream :-D I looked at DIY back then, but was a bit overwhelmed.

Availability of everything from small manufacturers with global markets is inevitably patchy... patience is a good thing to have (in any niche market!) DIY can be a bit overwhelming, as with any complex endeavour... but it's always good to remember that 99 times out of a hundred, complex is generally just lots of simple bundled up together... and most quoted statistics on the internet are bullshit! hehehe

Glad we're both having fun with our setups.

yeah... it's the only real important thing...

And Lugia is right, your signature (and your ever interesting posts) are a bottomless repository of wisdom.
-- Arrandan

thanks... always appreciated!!!

@JimHowell1970
I agree the price of the Mantis is a bit special. It's hard to find a case with a competing price and specs. I picked the 7U because the Mantis was out of stock everywhere when I was ordering. For me, even the thought of ever filling a Mantis was a far away dream :-D I looked at DIY back then, but was a bit overwhelmed. Glad we're both having fun with our setups. And Lugia is right, your signature (and your ever interesting posts) are a bottomless repository of wisdom.

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

Anybody using a Elka Mk88 in Eurorack ? It Seems to have many possibilities with poly aftertuch and midi control. Considering using mine with an Es9 to get those cv’s going from midi. Any tips appreciated ! Can anyone help me with the ”service manual” ? The ”user manual” I have.

woa, thanks.
It is really hard to know everything what is available out there.. so someone with much more high overview is really appreciated.

I have just acquired a Messor compressor by Cosmotronic and I find it amazing. In this short track I'm running the Nord Drum 2 thru it. Clipping/overdrive on the kick is very intentional. More patch info in the video description. Thanks for watching.

I am inspired by birth, death and the events inbetween.

https://youtube.com/@aphewgoodman

have you tried timing how long it takes to fail a few times? this should give you a decent idea...

I think you don’t understand the situation. In these cases the power comes from an external brick that supplies +16 volts. The internal “power supply” is not a power supply. Instead the internal system generates +12v, -12v, and +5v from the 16v input. There is definitely a power cost for this conversion!

Knowing the current draw would be helpful. For example, if you had to replace the brick, if you used current of just the modules in the case you’d be short on power.

In my case, I’m running this case from a battery. I can calculate the battery life from the power used by the modules, but that number isn’t accurate. Battery life will definitely be shorter. If I knew the power consumption of the case I could calculate battery life more closely.

Thrashed out a variation on the initial build...
ModularGrid Rack
Mantis cab, as before. But there have been changes.

Top row now starts with a Doepfer A-119 so that you can inject external audio sources into this thing. Then there's a pair of Klavis's wavetable-based dual VCOs, which now gives you FOUR VCOs. Oh, and they've got internal quantizing. So, four VCOs means four VCAs, and that's what the Codex Modulex Veils clone is for here, but it's followed by a six-input panning module that then sets up your stereo chain, plus it allows you to pan/mix two other signals pre-VCF. As for the VCF...I sorta went all-out here and went with a Rossum Linnaeus, which has some crazy-cool features, including thru-zero modulation. After that, two more Veils-type VCAs from After Later, then Beads for some DSP FSU. The Timizoara is after that, next to the TexMix...which now has the PROPER input group so that you can use the Timizoara AND the Rings as 1-in/2-out FX processors via the Master section. The Stereo input group has no level VCAs, no FX sends, etc...but the Mono input module DOES have those, and you really don't need four stereo mix inputs (the build isn't big/complex enough) anyway.

Bottom row begins with the Tempi/Rene pair. Yeah, pair...because the revised Rene and the Tempi have a lot of "behind the panel" hidden functions that let them do a lot more than either module alone. With that there, there's no need for the Pam's and much of the O&_c's functions are also dealt with (like no need for quantizers with the Twin Waves). The Noise Reap uLoaf is a pair of "misbehaved" LFOs that have a "semi-sync" between them...much more complex than your everyday LFOs. And then, the OTHER "DUSG-alike" besides Maths: the Befaco Rampage. Both owe their lineage to the Serge Dual Universal Slope Gen, but the Befaco has some minor differences as well as 2 hp less space requires. After that, a Frap 321 and another After Later dual VCA give you a "manipulation core" for the modulation signals, and then a VOID Dual ADSR gives you two "proper" envelopes. Rings then closes out the row, placed near the TexMix so that you can use it as something of a "tuned space" for short reverbs...with the warpy capability of modulation over a number of parameters that you tend to NOT associate with short room reverbs.

Yeah, this draws out a lot of downright odd and idiosyncratic things...which really will make this build sound and behave more like an integrated instrument. Now, as for the mults...just use inline widgets, stackcables, etc, as there's not really enough space in the build for mults. You need your space in this purely for functionality. Likewise, some other large modules were booted because...large. For example, the Frap 321 actually has a smallscale matrix mixing capability, but it occupies SIX hp as opposed to the 20 hp of the A-138m. And the Morphagene didn't fit at all, but with the Beads onboard, you won't miss it all that much. But yeah, some stuff got cut altogether, others got smaller, and the overall capability went up. Funny how that works in modular...

or maybe they hate shitty ergonomics...
-- JimHowell1970

Like any sensible synthesist should! Although, I'm betting that there's a lot of PC board real estate behind that panel. Formant filters aren't your everyday ol' ladder filter LPF.

Saw the new addition to the sigfile...

read a lot of newbie posts - there are tons here... it'd probably have been a good idea to have done that before actually buying anything - you will run out of space before you know it with such a small case

I'd look at mixing and modulation, at least as important as anything else you could possibly add - probably an fx aid would work well - has a lot possibilities - if you get the xl version you get cv-able bit crushing on all algorithms

see my signature for hints on how to get the most versatility for the least cash...

And a power supply has what sort of power supply requirements?

Seriously, that's what the top bar in the Palettes are. The current draw figures on MG are based on the amount of bus amperage each modules DRAWS...and if a module is the power supply, it has ZERO draw as that's what everything else is drawing current FROM.

@Arrandan

I was just quoting you on the use of "real"...

I see so many people complaining about the price of cases - and then they end up buying ones with 1u rows and often unnecessary built in features - when for the price of a single 4u case they could have almost bought a mantis or for the price of a 7u they could have bought 2 mantises... just so they can get 1u rows, that aren't really anything special... and for the sole purpose of putting utilities in the 1u rows so they can cram more "real" (to borrow your use) modules in the 3u... maybe it's just that I started before intellijel released the 1u row - I think pulp logic had theirs going, or maybe not...

to me there's nothing in 1u compelling enough for me to have one...

if you can find one the intellijel noise tools always seemed one of the better options, though

anyway I'm glad you like your 1u row and find it useful for routing cables

have fun, that's the important thing!

Hi, this is my first post and first venture into modular.

I'm building a small eurorack setup to go along with my MPC Live. Just got the Doepfer A-111-5 and the 60HP Moog case and I intend to get the XAOC Devices Zagrzeb filter shortly:

ModularGrid Rack

My idea is to use this setup to make drones and basslines (hence the Doepfer) and to process MPC samples (hence the stereo filter). I'm looking for suggestions for both those tasks, while the MPC should take care of sequencing, sample playback, it also has a couple of digital synths. The processing doesn't have to be all stereo as I use a lot of mono sounds too. Maybe a more aggressive filter, some saturation, fx... I'm open to all suggestions really since I'm new to this.

@golddrone I have Zadar and it's very extensive and a bit limited at the same time. You can't design your own envelopes like with an ADSR or a Maths. That said, there's a wide choice of envelopes in Zadar to chose from, including traditional ADSR-like envelopes. And you can bend and deform these to match more what you're looking for. For me, it is my main envelope, but I also have a basic AR from Doepfer which works very well for several sounds. I also don't recommend only Zadar. And despite not really getting the Maths hype for half a year, I'm very much planning to get one now. It's just so versatile!

@JimHowell1970 I've been thinking about your comments on the 1U for a while now. I'm not discounting utilities as "not real" or "not full". But a multiple, when patched, there's just no wiggling to it. So having those out of the way centrally (my 1U is in the middle) makes a lot of sense. Aside from the Quadratt, I also like the switched multiple. Both can be set up so that there's plenty of room for wires passing along them while still being easily reachable while playing. So overall, I'm not unhappy with it in the way that I use it now - superhighway for cables with a few useful modules that I can still reach.

On the other hand, I like your alternatives to 1U, like the 3x MIA, a lot. There's obviously much more choice in 3U than the handful of useful modules in 1U. I've been really looking hard at sensible ways of filling up that 1U space and it's just not easy to do it with useful modules that compare well to 3U alternatives. So when designing a DIY rack, I'll most likely not have a 1U rail. I'll keep the Intellijel as well as the 1U modules because even if the new rack would be 600hp, I know I'll run out eventually

As for the price of the rails - well. Compared to the price of an off-the-shelf rack, it's going to be small change anyway...

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

One vote for the Rackbrute from over here! I like the wooden cheeks and I don't like the look of the Mantis. I also have a 3U like the OP and really like how they look together.

this user has left ModularGrid

Yes, more modulation is very important! Besides Maths, I like Intellijel Quadrax with the expander a lot as it provides lots of modulation options.

Hm, those 2 Tex modules seem like an overkill indeed - all I need is to mix up to 4 stereo channels, and volume control on each channel seems enough already. I don't need pan/sends at this point - as I can route things myself the way I want before going into the mix.
That Befaco ST Mix looks perfect fit, thanks..

there might be a lot going on on the pcb... so maybe it's a trade-off between depth and width and the developer had a large but shallow case... or maybe they hate shitty ergonomics...

You're going to need a master section to go with the Tex Mix stereo module - https://www.modulargrid.net/e/tesseract-modular-tex-mix-master-section

Befaco's ST Mix gives 4 stereo channels in a smaller space but doesn't have send & returns, mutes etc., and depending on where you're audio goes after it you might need an output model e.g. ALM HPO (you could of course be going straight to an outboard mixer)

ModularGrid Rack
I've updated everything: I will use 6U Mantis TipTop instead of Rackbrute 3U + 6U.. Aaaand what do you know - I'm out of space already, and I couldn't even fit maths... And I don't have a decent filter yet or analog voice, even the simple one...
Am I missing something crucial? Should I drop maybe some large module for a smaller footprint (I'm looking at that Doepfer matrix cv mixer maybe or Rene 2)?
I've not even started but I can feel already why it's like a drug to a lot of people huehue..
Also that tex mix says it's an expansion, but I couldn't find on their website if this module can be used on it's own as 4 channel stereo mixer or not..

It's a shame this module is twice the size it should be. What's worse is the knobs and jacks still run along both edges limiting placement among other modules. You have all that extra panel space for nothing. I don't get it.

WTF?!?!

Hi there,

David from Switzerland. I'm quite new to Modular Synthesis, so I'm kind of experimenting at the moment. Hope you'll like my short alienish sort of tracks :)

(The typical Krell Patch)

(Some fun with a Erica Synths PICO System II)

(And some more fun with my "Numero Uno" rack)

Cheers,

David

Gotta go with Mantis for next 6U then, I wish I knew it before buying the 3U rackbrute so far.
I'll check that Xaoc FX thanks!
Thanks for advice, I appreciate it.

I'm using the clock output from the Eloquencer. I'm refering to t1 t2 and t3 in every states. I will check the output settings

i finally have finished the frontplate and the prototype PCB.
Now i have clock+reset inputs on the backside of the module which would really open tons of feature possibillities but unfortunately there is no room for additional jacks or controls. And there is no analog or digital pin left on the Arduino UNO as well. I already replaced multiple led pins with an adressable LED strip which only needs a single pin on the Arduino for using 36 RGB leds.

Anyway - i am glad that i was able the create a perfectly working module that absolutely meets my requirement of having a tiny keyboard in the horizontal row of my rack. And i really like the vibrato feature (or the fact that there are no additional modules needed to create such vibratos).

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-akai-synth-station-25-mod

you can try to reproduce the error in a private window/session.
if everything works maybe deleting the cookies will solve the problem.

Maths is a great choice... see my comment above, for why...

ADSRs are useful if you are using a keyboard... they are what keyboard synthesisers tend to use... but with modular they are comparatively rare... AD and AR are more commonly used... but there's nothing wrong with ADSR... I'm not sure I'd commit 14hp to one, though... especially as it doesn't have cv addressable stages...

Zadar is really, really useful, but I don't think I'd want it as a 1st envelope generator...

I'm looking to add a headphone output to my Eurorack as I'm currently just using a headphone attenuator to bring down the output to a level that I can use headphones with. It works ok but it is not a very elegant solution and it seems to crackle whenever I move the headphone cord.

Either the Pico OUT or the ALM HPO are on my list of possible options as each is only 3hp or 2hp. I was wondering if anyone had experience with either of these 2 modules and what your thoughts are? My only concern is that they may not have a wide volume range when used with headphones. I'd like to be able to listen at relatively moderate volume levels and I don't want a module that outputs just loud, very loud and super loud.

Note I read one online review of the HPO that said "that only about a quarter turn of the volume knob is needed to achieve ear-shattering volumes" which is why I'm hoping someone on this forum has real world experience with either of these 2 modules and can comment.

Thanks!

@JimHowell1970 yes i hear ya, endgame was a poor choice of words.

@nickgreenberg suggested i could use some envelopes in the last barebones/starting build i posted and i was looking at the intellijel dual ADSR and the Xaoc Zadar... but now i'm wondering if i should just go with a MATHS instead of a more traditional envelope module to start?

Something like this (sorry to link another build idea). ModularGrid Rack

I'd get the new Xaoc FX unit over the FX Aid/XL/Pro just because they're both the same FX chip, but the Xaoc module has input attenuators and that chip distorts if you breathe on it too hard.

mantis is imo infinitely better than rackbrute... and less ugly, but that's just personal opinion...

mantis is a little bit bigger (20hp/row), has no rack wart, has a super clean power supply (up to video rates - which is low MHz, not just KHz needed for audio), more power on the 12v rail (which is where you need the most)... and because of the size almost always works out cheaper per hp...

nb the 12v power is zoned so you have to pay a bit of attention plugging modules in (each zone is 1A, so no more than 750mA draw plugged in to each zone)

it might be a good idea if you watched your way through at least the first post or so of this thread: https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=106396