Ah yes, it’s rackbrute indeed - somehow I couldn’t find it by search term “arturia”, That’s why I used similar size one instead..
lol, didn’t know power was not “for granted”, is Mantis case any better in terms of power supply? Or regardless which one you pick you might need power upgrade?

I personally like tesseract tex-mix... it's expandable and inexpensive... but do your research... some people claim there's a lot of bleed and a high noise floor, nothing I've particularly noticed though...

maths is a fantastic module - but it only really comes into it's own when you dig really deep into it...

bigger rack warts - you have used the tiptop uZeus in your rack - if you are using a RackBrute you should be using the Arturia power supply modules (rack warts - they steal racks space and are ugly) https://www.modulargrid.net/e/arturia-rackbrute-6u-3u-power

as for a case being able to power whatever you put in there - hahahahaha - no.

you need to add up per power supply the draw for each rail from the modules and compare it to what the manufacturer states is the maximum draw for each rail - leave at least 25-30% headroom... if not there's always a chance your power supply either shuts itself off, a module fails to power on or, possibly, the power supply decides to die on you...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks for reply Jim!
I was indeed wondering about end of chain mixers available - as it has to be mixed before going in the mixing panel. Maybe some suggestions?
I was indeed looking at maths as it seems an Swiss Army knife.
I’m not sure what you mean with bigger warts? Bigger case or more capable power supply? Those are standard Arturia cases so I suppose they must be able to power whatever you can put in the case?

I'm having problems posting replies to threads - started last night/early this morning (GMT)...

getting the "reCAPTCHA error: incorrect-captcha-sol. Just try again!" repeatedly

using firefox on macOS bigSur

works fine on safari - but I hate safari!!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

So, I bought the Veils module, along with the A-138D and A-183-3.

good call...

I am holding off on the ADDAC modules (I am considering both) until I can find them at a better price/availability. They were my lowest priority in this build anyway.

where are you looking for addac modules? I think the best way unless you are buying DIY modules, is buying direct from addax themselves - I've never seen that much stock of there's in dealers...

I found a good price on the Doepfer A-111-5 while looking around, so I picked up one of those up for a bit of fun :)

have fun...

Now I need a 9u case... :D
-- cj18

yes and keep the unused cases for when you need them in the future...

With regard to DAWs, it looks like Bitwig might be the best option (that I currently own). Otherwise I might need to buy something like Silent Way for use in VCV. I also have Cherry Audio's Voltage Modular and Softube's Modular - maybe they work? I'd have to take a look.
-- cj18

you don't need silent way for vcv rack - cv is native - just connect to appropriate audio interface...

So, I bought the Veils module, along with the A-138D and A-183-3.

I am holding off on the ADDAC modules (I am considering both) until I can find them at a better price/availability. They were my lowest priority in this build anyway.

I found a good price on the Doepfer A-111-5 while looking around, so I picked up one of those up for a bit of fun :)

Now I need a 9u case... :D

Hi,
Just thought you might like to know that the letter C is intermittently not working in the "search name, text" box in the module finder. At first I thought it was my keyboard on my laptop but the same thing happened to me on my work PC this morning but weirdly, when I opened a new instance of the My Modular page in another tab, it started working again.

happy to help, cheers.

hello here!

If some of you prefer a video manual, you're all served. it's in french but has english captions.

I use both the 1-138s and A-138n as sub mixers, esp. the "n" version as it's DC coupled. these are some f the very first modules I own an they still are of a great help, esp. the "n" version, which can handle adio and cv signal (not the "s", which deal with audio signals).
I'd love to see an iteration of the MIXBX with cv over the tracks level/pan/send for sure !

by the way I have also gave the Squeeze of Feedback a test in parallel compression taskes (on beats), and I am very pleased with it, I'd probably get second one for stereo stuff.

@Arrandan... when you build your own cases the rails & inserts are about the most expensive thing... cost of 1u rails = cost of 3u rails... extra case materials & power can be close to 0...

as for the quadratt - I'd rather have a happy nerding 3*mia or mutable shades... or even a triplatt!!! anyday... both 6hp... that's 5-6% of the row - quadratt is 28hp... that's 26% of the row... and that's the most compelling 1u module in lots of ways!!!

& utilities are the "real" modules just as much as vcos and lfos and filters!!!!

exactly - I started about 6 years ago (...) 1800hp+ of rack space

300hp/year. With my much more limited experience, that still sounds about right

not convinced about 1u though - it saves 3.5" in vertical height, but can only hold at most a 3rd of the functionality and in terms of build cost (most of my cases are DIY) costs the same 3u...
-- JimHowell1970

DIY is a great idea. I built my own studio racks on top of a table, so not entirely new to it. Those racks were simpler, but it was a good experience. As for the 1U - Intellijel has some great modules, like the Quadratt. I'll likely buy another, they're so handy. Add some multis and I have decent functionality without losing valuable 3U space. On top of that, it's a superhighway for cable routing that's not in the way of the knobs of the "real" modules. It's why I modded my 7U to get the 1U in the middle. For my 7U, it works pretty well. For 1800 U, well, I'll tell you in 5,5 years!

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

This should show a power requirement. The power in is +16v. The power supplied is +12v, -12v, and +5v. There has to be some power cost there! Also, the two mults are powered, I’m pretty sure, so there is also a power cost there. We need these numbers for an accurate power draw calculation for racks modeled here!

exactly - I started about 6 years ago with a tiny 6u/72hp case... within about 6 months there was only 12hp left... and wanted a maths - enter the mantis... I now have 8 cases in total... iirc about 1800hp+ of rack space - not all filled!!! but it probably will be eventually... GAS ebbs and flows over time... usually in relation to disposable income!!!

not convinced about 1u though - it saves 3.5" in vertical height, but can only hold at most a 3rd of the functionality and in terms of build cost (most of my cases are DIY) costs the same 3u...

for portability I prefer 6u cases - I reckon I could easily carry 18u/104hp at a time - 1 case in each hand and one on my back... but for diy I prefer 9u... less build time/cost...

For the iPhone, you will need the camera connection kit or the Lightning-to-USB converter to get a USB port. I'm using an iPad Pro with a built-in USB-C, which gives the same result. Both have the disadvantage that you're working on battery and your port is blocked so you cannot charge. For the iPad, I can use a charging USB-C hub and charge while being connected to USB devices. I don't know if such a solution is possible for the iPhone. It's important, because as you integrate your iPhone more into your workflow, you'll notice your battery drops very quickly and it's no fun needing to charge half way through your session.

Second - the best way to go is an audio interface. I tried the IK Multimedia iRig Pro Duo but I didn't like it. It's promoted as a mobile unit, but it's pretty big and only offers 2 channels (so 1 stereo, or 2 mono). They tease you with a very extensive software bundle, but forget about that. It's the hardware you want to be useful. If all you want is to play samples into your modular, it may be sufficient.

I also have a Motu M4 on my desktop, which has 4 channels, so it's a bit more flexible. I like it a lot as a basic desktop unit. But for modular, it's still limited.

In my modular, I have an ES-9. I should see if I can do more with it, but I'm using 8 channels from my modular to my iPad with a return to the ES-9 for monitoring. The ES-9 has a stereo 6,3mm dual-jack for that as well as a TRS 6,3mm stereo headphone out. In principle, it's a 16 in 16 out interface. I'm recording all my stems like that as well as the mix, in AUM. Connected via a powered hub that's chargint the iPad, it's a dream solution if you want a flexible connection between your modular and your iPad.

Exactly what Jim said. Consider this: in January, I started investigating a modular setup. In February, I bought a case (7U Intellijel - the 1U is practical e.g. for a Quadratt, which is 4x where Triplatt is 3x) and a first series of modules. I think it filled about 60-70U. No way, I thought, that I'll fill that up any time soon!

This is where I am at now:
ModularGrid Rack

I'm in doubt if I want a second Intellijel 7U and connect them together, because I'm not finding the build quality too great. The other option is to buy a completely different luggable 10U or 13-14U, preferably somewhere 120-160HP.

"endgame" hahahaha there is no such thing - not only does no plan survive contact with the enemy (in this case yourself) - if/when you get to that state, the solution is another case!!

good luck and have fun!!!

now with link...

ModularGrid Rack

you should update to use the even bigger Arturia rack warts... instead of the smaller uZeus rack warts...

is there enough modulation? probably for now, especially if you are leveraging the o&c & pams with the matrix mixer to get more complex modulation... but for the future I'd look at adding at least one more modulation source - my choices would be at least 1 if not more of zadar, batumi, maths... maths in particular if you want to learn more about modular synthesis (as opposed to just connecting modules together - synthesis with modules) - as it has a lot of learning videos & imo even better the 'maths illustrated supplement' - best when thought deeply about - why, what, how - and used as a jumping off point for experimentation instead of just a simple patch reference, though!!!

as for overlap between pams and o&c - not really you need gates and envelopes and lfos - these at least for now cover this reasonably well - & "redundancy" is not a bad thing in modular anyway in lots of cases - modulation and utilities especially!

how are you doing end of chain mixing? externally? otherwise might be an idea to look at this...

utilities - my favourite subject... it's hard to say what you will want or need - I would suggest spending some time looking at all the different types and deeply thinking about them... I usually find logic, sequential switches, sample and hold, atttenuation/attenuversion, offsets, more mixers and more vcas are incredibly useful though...

re effects: I'd look at the fx aid pro instead of the dsp2...

& read through a load of other recent newbie/advice posts - they're pretty much all applicable!!!

to quote @Lugia from another thread!

In fact, some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile, below.

I added some low Bass and a Beat to this...

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

this user has left ModularGrid

Smart transaction with @deOrbiter
Thx !

Arturia Case

Hi all!
I am filling my first case: I'm not new to the synth world but new to modular. I have 2 Arturia cases: one with two rows and one row (that's why there's 2 power switches). I already almost filled the 3U case so far: MI Marbles, MI Rings, MI Beads, Make Noise Morphagene. I need this system purely for synth voices (mono as well as poly voices) + fx, so no drums needed in eurorack as I have Elektron Rytm for that. Which utilities do you think I need to add? Is there enough to modulate everything? Do Ornament Crime and Pamela's Workout not overlap with same functionality?
I also have Elektron A4, which has 4 configurable CV outs: can use that for sequencing and probably going to be master clock for whole system. Maybe some modules that you see are overkill?
Which fx would you suggest? Is Erica Synths Black Hole DSP2 any good as a multipurpose fx? Or better stick with one module per function?
Forgot to mention: music genre is anything electronic, from down-tempo to minimal and everything in between. I'm trying to explore the sonic possibilities beyond traditional synth paradigm.
Have a great day!

Gotcha, that makes sense. For fun I put together a potential “endgame” system but I’m gonna take it slow at first and see how it goes and see where things take me.

ModularGrid Rack

"i'll check out the SISM and Triplatt, as well. probably hard to envision how useful these kinda modules are until yr actually using them."

example: let's say I'm sending an LFO through a quantizer (like Intellijel Scales) to get pitch and trigger outs. Let's say I want 1 octave range of pitch info output from my quantizer, and the LFO outputs -5 to +5v. Then the LFO is giving me 10 octaves of pitch range, I need to scale that down by an order of magnitude, so the range is 1v; I probably also have to shift the center of the LFO range up or down to get to my desired pitch register.

That type of scenario happens super often: the control signal output range is way bigger (or sometimes smaller) than you want, and often with a different center point. Hence the ability to scale and shift is control signals is super important. My example above applies to pitch, but very similar things happen with filter and timbre controls. More often than not, if I'm using control voltage, I have to constrain it in some way to put it into a musical range for the given application.

what are you using for the clock?
are you talking about t2, or t1 &t3? if t2 it sounds like maybe a dodgy module, if t1 and/or t3, then maybe the gate output setting have been changed - see manual ...

@nickgreenberg yeah, i wanted to just scale it back and make sure i get essentials before going into the more fun (and larger) stuff like morphagene and maybe beads/tapo delay/etc.

need envelopes for sure. i'll look into stages or possible clones (too bad about mutable stuff slowly going away). the doperfer single ADSR seems like a good simple utility, or maybe the intellijel dual ADSR for more functionality. the xaoc zadar seems really powerful, too, but i haven't looked at it closely.

i'll check out the SISM and Triplatt, as well. probably hard to envision how useful these kinda modules are until yr actually using them. and i'll check out the batumi expander, as well. might look at the FXAid Pro, too. might be worth it for the screen alone.

thanks again. just ordered a plaits so it looks like i'm slowly on my way.

@golddrone, nice rack update (Thursday July 21) I see that version as having zero waste.

I do think that setup is a bit too bare bones to be deeply usable / enjoyable. IMO some very solid adds would be:
-- envelopes of some kind, depends how many channels of envelopes you want, and how deeply programmable they need to be. I like Stages (not sure that is still buyable) since it is up to 6 very basic envelopes or 1 huge complex envelope depending on how you patch it. That said, there's a lot of merit to smaller, simpler envelope packages.
-- you'll want something to wrangle CV signals with: offset, gain, invert, mix, etc. SISM and Triplatt are my go to's, but there's options on that front.
-- do look at the expander for Batumi, it's good bang for buck in 3HP

That said, overall I think your 2nd rack is a stronger "core" design and is all "no regrets" modules including several top choices in their respective categories (e.g. Pams, Batumi, FX Aid, QuadVCA, Plaits).

Exactly, what Lugia says. If you already have a good baggage of music you listened to, then just let happen what happens on the modular. And listen back. I've been in this sort of feedback loop for half a year or so and people tell me I'm improving, which heavily strokes my ego, and that's much better than Facebook likes. But the main point is this - have fun, listen critically while you're doing it, see if you can tweak things here and there to make it cooler/nicer for yourself, and then listen back to it the days after. You'll find you'll get better at getting a result you like afterwards as well. Not always what you expected, but that's part of the game. And did I say - have fun?

BTW - I liked that jam! If you have something USB equipped like an iPad or a computer, getting a simple audio interface will help the recording quality a lot.

External clock edges nice and square?

I think you have to refresh something to get the thumbnail/jpg to update...

I've always built my tex-mix modules - very easy builds with only panel furniture and headers to add - all smd pre-soldered...

if when you expand - remember to tell Mangu how many modules you have - he'll send you the right ribbon cable for connecting them at the back!

going forward things to look at (ie to add if it was me) would be something like the happy nerding 3*mia (or tiptop miso or mutable shades) and something like mutable kinks (clones are available I believe) or wmd/ssf toolbox (may be unobtanium - may be replaced by a similar wmd module in the future) and maybe a small lfo, if it'll fit...

have fun!!!

@JimHowell1970 SOLD! I never looked at the Tex Mix, but it seems amazing! Love that it's expandable and the price tag is a huge plus! A bit of bleed will certainly not bug me, very used to it:)

ModularGrid Rack
(Not sure why the preview doesn't show the updated rack... hahahaha)

@JimHowell1970 Thank you much! Would the Mixology do the trick on the mixing/panning? I've gotten to use one a while back and liked it quite a bit. seemed very straight forward. And the Black Output instead of the XOH?

do you really need an output module??? what are you intending to use it for?

I think mixology is kind of large for what it does - if it had a headphone out then maybe, but m'eh - do you need cv panning??? it's pretty easy to patch when you do but takes a couple of vca channels...

personally I really like the tesseract tex-mix - it's expandable so you can add 4 mono or 4 stereo channels at a time - has 2 sends (mono) and 2 stereo returns (that can be used as a stereo send/return) and a headphone output... it might have a slightly higher noise floor and a tiny bit of bleed, but to be honest I don't really notice - there might be a bit of bleed on the sends when the channel is muted, but considering the price (really quite inexpensive) I really don't care... vcas on all the mono channels, manual pan on all the channels - main mix and cue mix... also has (iirc pre-fader) direct output expanders available... I go straight from the main modular level outputs into a cheap 10+ year old Yamaha mixer and from there into my main monitors - works great...

4mono channels, 4stereo channels and a master section will take up 34hp - but will probably cost less than 200 of whatever major currency you use - and you can do autopanning if needs be with the vcas and a lfo (or envelope) and inversion and offset and you get a headphone output included

btw - complaints from people about bleed may be because they are used to pristine DAW mixers - idk, but @Lugia and I had a big discussion about this in a previous thread - neither of us could care less about a bit of bleed - most 'classic' albums from the 60s through the 90s and probably into the 2000s have bleed all over them - definitely anywhere there's a microphone used - in some cases the bleed is a feature (planes flying overhead, cars parking outside, dogs barking etc etc) - adds character, if you know what I mean

I don't want to copy the sound. But he is very creative with those modules and it's interesting for me. I prefer a more contribution comment. Thank you anyway.
-- FidlB

to some extent trying to copy someone else's sound can be a valuable part of the learning process... just as playing other people's music can be too!

btw saw your post on modwiggler - no "hate" here... but I do "hate" the hyperbolic use of the word "hate"!!! hehehe

@JimHowell1970 Thank you much! Would the Mixology do the trick on the mixing/panning? I've gotten to use one a while back and liked it quite a bit. seemed very straight forward. And the Black Output instead of the XOH?

@jb61264 I'm fine with some menu diving, especially as it seems to have some good tutorials around! Thanks for that!

@jb61264 Oh man, the DistingEX got my attention! hahahaha
-- GideonFalls

Its very powerful but be warned if you don't like to navigate menu's it may not be the module for you. I love it, it adds so much flexibility and capability to my setup. Actually (IMO) for someone just starting to put together a case, its probably one of the better modules to get early on...as you learn different functions, you find those that you really want/need in your setup and buy a dedicated module for it, then DistingEX can be changed to do other things and the cycle continues as you build out your system. Good manuals/tutorials make it pretty easy to learn/use. If you don't mind navigating a menu system in a module, its a great add.

JB

Thread: vpme.de Qex

any news on this?
-- neykes

available at schneidersladen (Germany) as well
https://schneidersladen.de/de/vpme-qex-quad-drum-expander

I'll let you know how it all comes together. I am not too worried if things aren't perfect first go. I'll just pull the unhappy module out and stick it somewhere else in the future.

In the same vein, I'll go with the A-138D, and pick up something with two channels if I need it down the track. I'm in no particular rush.

With regard to DAWs, it looks like Bitwig might be the best option (that I currently own). Otherwise I might need to buy something like Silent Way for use in VCV. I also have Cherry Audio's Voltage Modular and Softube's Modular - maybe they work? I'd have to take a look.

Ok, great! The A-183-3 fits into the space that I have available, which is a good sign. My rack now looks like this:

nb it looks like that works to me but I have no experience of it - 4 * gain from line level should work ok, you might want to do some further research - please report back...

I have to say, it feels a lot better than it did before. I better understand the purpose of each modules in there now.

good that's an important step...

In my searching, I also came across the ADDAC 200PI. How does that compare to the Doepfer A-138D? I am guessing that the 138D is the better option, with the attenuation and amp, versus simply having two loops available.

you also get crossfading with the a-138d
the 200pi will just do a basic modular to instrument (pedal) level and back
so it's a toss-up - crossfading and gain control vs 2 channels and external gain control (if needed) either from pedals or in rack

As for DAWs, I primarily use either Reaper or Studio One, but also have the light versions of Ableton and Bitwig.
-- cj18

ok bitwig handles cv natively I think, not so sure about the others - I know the full on studio version of Ableton does, but is expensive - which is why I got Logic instead (mostly just use it as a tape recorder and mixdown, but also wanted video in DAW for scoring to picture) - otherwise there are plugins - including vcv rack, that will work with the cv outs of your audio interface

Jitter is fully counterclockwise

Maybe double check the Jitter setting?

Ok, great! The A-183-3 fits into the space that I have available, which is a good sign. My rack now looks like this:

EDIT: it keeps showing the old pic only, so I had to break the link:

https://www.modulargrid net/e/racks/view/1766572

I have to say, it feels a lot better than it did before. I better understand the purpose of each modules in there now.

In my searching, I also came across the ADDAC 200PI. How does that compare to the Doepfer A-138D? I am guessing that the 138D is the better option, with the attenuation and amp, versus simply having two loops available.

As for DAWs, I primarily use either Reaper or Studio One, but also have the light versions of Ableton and Bitwig.

It still needs some work on the mixing tbh...

plaits is dual mono (you could use the dtm to mix these before the filter)
wasp is mono
disting ex can be used as a sound source - as either (depending on what you are using it for) mono, dual mono or stereo
the 3 effects you have - beads, fx aid & magneto are all stereo (all can do mono to stereo)
the output is stereo

nb most vcos are mono

so you could do with a panning mixer (vc or not) and a stereo in/stereo out mixer... I know XOH has 2 stereo channels in, but I'm not convinced that's enough - wouldn't be for me

also you probably don't need a buffered mult... mostly needed for copying pitch information - but bloom has 2 outs - and you only have a single vco...

Hi all. I'm having problems with my cara getting synced right in time when I sync it to an external clock.Well it syncs but with a latency that lets it play a little bit too late. Any ideas about that? Are you have the same issue?

Perhaps a Doepfer A-138s as a stereo input for soft synths? They are a good price at the moment.

no, it's not an amplifier... possibly this: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/doepfer-a-183-3

EDIT: actually, it appears that I'd need an Expert Sleepers module. Is that correct? I can send cv from my Presonus Q2626, but it seems that I'd need as ES module to receive it?

no you don't need a ES module to receive it... check the voltage range though! you might want to amplify...

which DAW are you using?

Thank you so much for the help!

@JimHowell1970 I absolutely see what you're saying! I took the DPO out as I think it might just be a bit "much" and did the same by replacing the filter. The DTM also sounds great, thanks for that. Took your advice on the Pamela too, I've only ever messed around with the Tempi but heard from people that they really like Pamela.
I was looking at the Mantis actually and it's great to hear that they hold up! They look great and the price point is a real plus :)

@jb61264 Oh man, the DistingEX got my attention! hahahaha

this user has left ModularGrid

Thanks for all of the really useful advice. I will keep in mind the 'one module for one purpose' rule!

Perhaps a Doepfer A-138s as a stereo input for soft synths? They are a good price at the moment.

EDIT: actually, it appears that I'd need an Expert Sleepers module. Is that correct? I can send cv from my Presonus Q2626, but it seems that I'd need as ES module to receive it?

This is getting confusing...

Thanks for the info, Jim.

I am going to buy the Doepfer A-138d, but wonder if I should buy the Addac 301B in addition. I get the sense that they will both be useful. Thoughts?

yes the a-138d for effects pedal interface, the addac 301b for expression pedal interface (which will allow you to control the modular with your foot!)

I like the wet/dry dial on the ALM SBG, but the 1/4 jack just speak to me a bit more :)

Aside from that, the Veils module looks like a winner. I have a software version of it somewhere, but the physical one still seems worthwhile. I'd always planned to pick up the set of Mutable modules, when finances permitted.

good luck and hurry up - new ones are getting more and more difficult to find!!!

I should be able to run my soft synths from my AI into the A-138d in my modular setup, shouldn't I? If not, what is the best route, as I have yet to try connecting them.

maybe - but a lot of soft synths really want stereo inputs - depending on your audio interface... spare channels etc etc

veils will amplify up to 4 channels - but then you don't get to use it as a vca - consider a dedicated stereo (or more) audio input or amplifier if you are doing this a lot

I actually have the A-119, so it is good to hear that it is a worthwhile module! I am thinking that the A-119 as my guitar input and the A-138d for my pedals should be compliamentary. And I am going to try out that pedal. For $40 it is worth a shot!

this is what I have (plus a strymon aa.1) and they are definitely complimentary

the pedal @Lugia mentioned is great for plugging into the addac 301b though, as it's an expression pedals - I use old roland/boss ones - as I had them lying around

If/when I get around to putting more I/O modules into my setup (as it grows), I'll remember your advice on having them separate. I was attracted to having them all in one module for space/efficiency, but will now consider just an output.
-- cj18

this kind of also applies to all things in modular - better to have a single module do a single thing as much as possible!!

Yeah, that makes sense. The Batumi seems more like a bread and butter LFO while the Ochd seems like something nice and compact that can provide some easy movement for patches.

I'm thinking about this now as a starting point (or probably even more minimal to begin with) instead of what I originally posted but we'll see. I still have to do a little more research and take everyone's feedback into consideration, I think. Thanks again.

ModularGrid Rack

Thanks for the info, Jim.

I am going to buy the Doepfer A-138d, but wonder if I should buy the Addac 301B in addition. I get the sense that they will both be useful. Thoughts?

I like the wet/dry dial on the ALM SBG, but the 1/4 jack just speak to me a bit more :)

Aside from that, the Veils module looks like a winner. I have a software version of it somewhere, but the physical one still seems worthwhile. I'd always planned to pick up the set of Mutable modules, when finances permitted.

I should be able to run my soft synths from my AI into the A-138d in my modular setup, shouldn't I? If not, what is the best route, as I have yet to try connecting them.

Lugia, thanks.

I actually have the A-119, so it is good to hear that it is a worthwhile module! I am thinking that the A-119 as my guitar input and the A-138d for my pedals should be compliamentary. And I am going to try out that pedal. For $40 it is worth a shot!

If/when I get around to putting more I/O modules into my setup (as it grows), I'll remember your advice on having them separate. I was attracted to having them all in one module for space/efficiency, but will now consider just an output.