Looking at picking up a Clouds/clone to run Kammerl firmware on. Hard to tell which version is the most comfortable to tweak without having them all in front of me so turning to your recommendations. I hate trimmers, but if it's for set and forget stuff like gain in, output level, wet/dry, then it's fine. Looking at uBurst from Momo, Typhoon, and Monsoon from Michigan Synth Works. Or maybe even just an OG Clouds. Thanks for your insight!

Received and built one. Yes, useful.

Be warned the company became untrustworthy for ordering since 2021, they shipped many empty boxes to many customers with wrong addresses in order to generate Covid slowed down false tracking data. $500 in unsent orders from me.

A couple of good transactions with @-ADR- and @gusargrk this month. Good people.

If you already plan to fill this case, take a bigger one.
Obviously you won't like the Disting, so i'm not sure you need to try (I did and just lost my time).
Mutable Stages would fit nice.
This selection looks pretty solid so just start and you will see.

Salut!

As usual, it's in French with uk subtitles :) I've to admit that it's not the more complex/featured drive module but what it does, it does it well!

For years, I've spent a lot of time with Softube Modular, VCV Rack, Voltage Modular, and AAS Multiphonics CV-1. I love them, but I really want to put my hands on real cables and knobs. I think it’s finally time to make the jump. I’ve been researching and thinking about this carefully for months and I’m starting to arrive at a plan I feel really good about. But I don’t have any experience with hardware, so I need feedback and a reality check before I start spending money.

Here’s my latest plan: ModularGrid Rack

More context:

• I am planning to get the Intellijel 7U 104HP preformance case. Do I need to be concerned about power usage of modules with this case?

• I am all about sequencing. I want the option for MIDI input to play along or sync to an external clock, but I’ll often do everything inside the rack with internal clocks and gate / CV sequencers. I want my sequencers to be straightforward, hands-on, and inherently modular, so I can mess around with independent clock rates and resets and boolean gate logic and wiring things together in wacky ways while twisting knobs that always show me their value so I don't get lost. I also like creative limitations. I have a strong sense the Tiptop Z8000 will fit me well as my first CV sequencer, but I don’t know much about the brand.

• I love generative/evolving patches and controlled chaos.

• Several choices were made to support up to four voices. For example: bass, lead, and two percussion. Sometimes I’ll do mono synths and multi-layer drones. I want flexibility to approach things in many different ways. Hence the two quad VCAs and mixing options.

• It's been suggested I put the knobs that I think I’ll use the most on the bottom row for easier access, so I’ve tried to do that (I can only imagine what it will really be like though).

• I didn’t get any multiples. I am hoping it’s fine to split triggers once or twice with Tiptop stackcables. How many time can you split gates and triggers that way? What about CV? I know this might be an issue for pitch, but I’ll be using quantizers so I think it’s manageable.

• I do not want menu diving. I want this to be an instrument I play, completely unlike the feel of using a DAW or software. The Disting is a huge compromise in this regard, and I’m sure I’m going to get frustrated with it (I’ll print out the manual), but it’s clear there is no perfect rack and something is always going to be “missing”. I feel like the Disting can help me figure out where to go next by trying out different module functions and figuring out what is really missing that I should invest in later (when I probably inevitably buy a second rack to put on top of this one).

I have a ton of other thoughts and lots of questions but this post is getting too long so I’ll stop here. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

is this recasing them in a 120hp 12u case??? seems like a waste of money if it is...

if you already have the moog semis I would keep them in their cases and spend the money on a smaller case and some other brands modules to extend their functionality

but it is your money to do what you like with...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Paired with Matriarch, Grandmother, Sub 37 and Sub Phatty

A new unit from Neutral Labs, their Meg. It's a wave manipulator module, produces interesting effects on audio or control voltage signals.
A very straightforward and fast build, pretty good beginner kit.
C.K. builds a Neutral Labs Meg

It's now 50€ more expensive than before at 250€.
Still a great delay for this price

You were quicker than me :)
Note to self: no posting after 10pm
To be honest, when I first saw the setup my though was Hermod, PAMS... then bring down an FXaid, the Cosmotronic and Caio.
One case for most of your inputs, sequencing and for your final FX and outputs to whatever.
I do think you'll have no problem sequencing all the things regardless what you decide for the drums (all good choices of course).
Cheers!

Looks like you're having a good time with what you have and would continue to with what you're proposing.
What's your thought on a sequencing / final mix rack? Kind of a beginning and end of chain type of thing?
With the addition of BitBox you also add 8 potential additional outputs and having a clean space to bring that all together could be cool.
If you go with the Hermod (no exp. but read/see good things) does that impact how, when, how often you use other modules that can clock, control, etc... and is that their best use or could a dedicated or just something else work better?
Maybe some/all of this also depends if you're using a DAW or MIDI in someway?

-- Dub007

Hmm...great points of thought for sure. Do you have any ideas for a module fulfilling that mix rack idea? In my studio setup, I have everything receiving start/stop from Ableton, but can also 'drive' from my Beatstep Pro to my modular setup (which has PAMs), but wondering if I can switch that 'drive' control from BSP to Hermod and then use BSP to sequence other things as well but maybe I'm overextending the sequencing capabilities by doing that? Was thinking if I added Queen of Pentacles I could use the drum outs from BSP to 'dedicate' to that module (or the three substitute modules I call out above).

I am in the DAW most of the time now when I'm in the studio but would like to possibly perform at some point without having to taking a laptop (which I currently don't even have because I'm on a desktop in my studio).

Definitely open to suggestions all the way around :)

JB

Sjajan pedalboard! :)

Notes:
- Signal Path isn't linear, pedals are arranged by needs relative to their interactive features.
- ProCo Rat and Fuzz Factory are placeholders for home-built alternatives.

So, what started out as one Rackbrute 6U, grew to add a 3U as well and of course I have filled up both and now have bought another Rackbrute 6U. The images below include what I have so far. I'm considering adding Queen of Pentacles to the second Rackbrute (which will fill the 30 HP remaining nicely) OR the combination of SSF Entity Percussion/BIA/Befaco Kickall (opinions on those options...or a better one?)

ModularGrid Rack
ModularGrid Rack

I am trying to conceive of a use for the Rackbrute 3U and thinking of some sort of sequencing/modulation unit that sits in front of my two Rackbrute 6Us. Note I also have a Beatstep Pro. I moved the Quadrax + Expander from the 6U above to the 3U and replaced it with the BitBox Micro (on first 6U)...also already had PAMs with the mmMIDI and moved it as well to the 3U

Would appreciate any guidance or suggestions on what to fill up my Rackbrute 3U with. Here is what I had in mind below:
ModularGrid Rack
Would love to hear feedback on any and all of the above...

JB

Instruo's description to me sounds like they're all on a independent frequencies but you cannot change the ratio between them. So if one is 100Hz and the next 120Hz, if you go down one octave it'll be 50Hz and 60Hz.
-- Arrandan

Hi Arrandan,

Indeed, nicely summarised :-)

Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Jorge,

I guess that's it indeed: a semantic thing :-) And as it seems this might be for each of us a slightly bit different ;-) Fair enough.

I use the Øchd in rather large and complicated patches where I need lots of modulation (and have a lack on LFOs) then I like to use the Øchd and where it's not too obvious when I turn that one knob that all behave the same but as a listener you still notice a difference.

Indeed for 4 HP the Øchd offers pretty much.

Anyway, I wish you lots of fun with Øchd and have fun patching around with your modular system, modular synths are the best there is ;-) Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

@JimHowell1970 Ah! Didn't know trigger delays were a thing. Thanks!

I just ordered a bunch of stuff and split the order over Thomann, Schneidersladen and Escape from Noise. All sent to Belgium. These three combined offer most brands, but some esoteric ones, I needed to order directly (Feedback modules and Lakik, specifically). Anything specific you're looking for?

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

Thread: Patch #1

Eveil

potentially yes - there is a chance that the switch could be slightly slower than the sample and hold - in all likelihood it will be the other way round though - the answer is to experiment

if you find that you do have this issue then a trigger delay is the answer - either a dedicated one like the doepfer a-162 or in a more general module that can provide this functionality - you can create one in stages, for example

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Imagine I have a sequential switch with four inputs and one output. The four inputs are each receiving a different LFO. The output of the seq. switch leads to a sample and hold.

Question:
If I send the same trigger to the seq. switch and the S+H, do I have to worry about the possibility that the S+H would capture the seq. switch output before the seq. switch actually switches to the next LFO?

thanks for your fast response. but still no EU vendors ...

If I cut that out, is there an obvious candidate for taking in at least 4 channels of MIDI? Hermod looks like it, but is there something else I don't know about? I've tried the Doepfer A-190-4 and was impressed with how cryptic it was to set up.
-- arthabaska

The Befaco MIDI Thing has four CV/Gate pairs + clock out and start/stop.
I have a couple of those.
It's not as cumbersome to set up as it may appear by reading the manual.

Agreed on the topic of ergonomics. The original Grids was a lot bigger than it needed to be in my opinion, but these micro clones that aim to be literally as small as possible overshoot the mark.

My biggest concern with the clones is ergonomics. The smaller “micro” footprint is not very fun to use in practice, though it might seem like a good trade off.

All EU vendors are gone for a while now whatever country is selected.

-- zykan

Not sure if that fixes your issue but I squashed a bug today that had something to do with the geo location not being refreshed on the Country dropdown.

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

Btw I see there are clones of grids from Michigan Synth Works and Momo modular. https://momomodular.com/products/ugrids-micro-mutable-instruments-grids-black-textured-aluminum

Do you think those would be as good as a Mutable Grids original, or close?
-- nickgreenberg

The clone works in exactly the same way as the original, albeit with a smaller interface. Mutable clones can be a bit of a sensitive subject, but in this case I think it makes sense since the original is discontinued anyway.

From the description on Instruō's website: "Each independent core is free running with rates configured from fastest to slowest arranged from top to bottom. Each frequency range was tuned by ear during development to give the optimum spread of control frequencies running in parallel. Being 100% analogue, the LFO’s will phase organically with the ability to ebb and flow together with their global frequency control."

-- jletra

Hi Jletra,

Okay perhaps I explained it a bit wrong and you might be right about the above part description. My point however is that you don't have really 8 independent LFOs. Okay they might be "free running" but what is free running in this context? There is just one button for all 8 LFOs to speed them up or to slow them down. If you want to call that free running... okay... however that's not what I understand under free running or at least they are not independent from each other in such way I mean that I can't choose (just as an example), LFO 1, 2, 6 & 8 I want to increase their speed. LFO 3 & 7 should stay at their current speed and LFO 4 & 5 should go a bit slower. That's just not possible with this module, they either all 8 stay the same or all 8 go slower or all 8 go faster. That's what I meant. You might be right that they might have their own independent core but to what use is that to me if I don't want them all 8 go faster (for example)?

I hope it's clearer now. I therefore think this module is more suitable for larger setups and not so ideal for a smaller setup, but that are just my 2 cents :-) Kind regards, Garfield.
-- GarfieldModular

Maybe it's a semantics thing, but the LFOs in Øchd are indeed independent. BUT, you have only one control to influence their rate.
That's how I understand the description of the module and how I experience it in practice.
It's the same as if you would use one offset signal to modulate the frequency of different LFO modules. Are they free running and independent? Yes. Although now they share one control, that you made yourself! ;)
Of course, your point of lack of control is valid, but in my opinion that's exactly the strength of Øchd, even in a small rack. You have a range of available frequencies and when using the rate CV input with different flavours of modulation, you can really get a lot out of 4 HP. You can have trigger like behaviour, audio rate modulation, and skewed triangle waves, all happening at the same time. Then with a flick of that knob, you're in a completely different territory, or if you switch between two different CV modulation sources...
But then again, it's limited in use without attenuation, so there's that...

Kind regards to you sir!
Jorge

From the description on Instruō's website: "Each independent core is free running with rates configured from fastest to slowest arranged from top to bottom. Each frequency range was tuned by ear during development to give the optimum spread of control frequencies running in parallel. Being 100% analogue, the LFO’s will phase organically with the ability to ebb and flow together with their global frequency control."

-- jletra

Okay perhaps I explained it a bit wrong and you might be right about the above part description. My point however is that you don't have really 8 independent LFOs. Okay they might be "free running" but what is free running in this context?

To me, free running LFOs are the opposite of triggered LFOs. They start and you cannot reset/restart/trigger them.

Instruo's description to me sounds like they're all on a independent frequencies but you cannot change the ratio between them. So if one is 100Hz and the next 120Hz, if you go down one octave it'll be 50Hz and 60Hz.

Hi and Thanks Garfield, I'll have to listen and see what happens at 9 mins when home from work later :)

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Idea is to have a modular sequencer that can easily be adapted to use with a wide variety of other systems. This allows me to save valuable hp on other systems I can instead just patch into. I went for maximum sequencing and modulation options, with a few useful utilities I would want to use on basically any system I encounter. Currently building, interested in any other recommendations!

Btw I see there are clones of grids from Michigan Synth Works and Momo modular. https://momomodular.com/products/ugrids-micro-mutable-instruments-grids-black-textured-aluminum

Do you think those would be as good as a Mutable Grids original, or close?

Hi Wishbonebrewery,

Great track and a beautiful show case of the STO :-) I love my STO and it looks like you get very well along with the STO too!

That sound that kicks in just before 09:00, wow, I love that sound, very cool :-)

Great work here and thanks a lot for sharing with us. Kind regards, Garfield.

-- jletra

Hi Jletra,

Okay perhaps I explained it a bit wrong and you might be right about the above part description. My point however is that you don't have really 8 independent LFOs. Okay they might be "free running" but what is free running in this context? There is just one button for all 8 LFOs to speed them up or to slow them down. If you want to call that free running... okay... however that's not what I understand under free running or at least they are not independent from each other in such way I mean that I can't choose (just as an example), LFO 1, 2, 6 & 8 I want to increase their speed. LFO 3 & 7 should stay at their current speed and LFO 4 & 5 should go a bit slower. That's just not possible with this module, they either all 8 stay the same or all 8 go slower or all 8 go faster. That's what I meant. You might be right that they might have their own independent core but to what use is that to me if I don't want them all 8 go faster (for example)?

I hope it's clearer now. I therefore think this module is more suitable for larger setups and not so ideal for a smaller setup, but that are just my 2 cents :-) Kind regards, Garfield.

@nickgreenberg yeah one of the modes of the t side is basically grids - deliberately set up to do kick(t1) , snare (t3) and hats (t2) - I usually send t2 to branches (self patched) to do skip/open/closed

Thanks for the ideas above folks! A few comments / questions:
-- the Noise Engineering modules and Dnipro DOT mentioned above could really be a good fit here, I will look at those closely
-- @JimHowell1970 could you explain a little what you mean about marbles as mini-grids+++? I would have never thought of that.

Much appreciated!

NG

Hi jdesole,

I had an interesting back-and-forth with Jim here on my first ideas for a modular, just like you. Jim is 100% correct about the utility modules. Make sure you get enough VCAs, multiples, etc. I have only a few sound sources but I'm already adding 8 more to the 8 I already have. That's because my current 8 can also be used as mixers and you'll need plenty of mixers and attenuators. And attenuverters. And, as I said, multiples.

Another tip: start small. I was looking at the Harmonaig as well, but I decided to start monophonic. That was a good move. For drums/samples, I have the Squarp Rample, which is small and very powerful. I would advise you to look at it. I only have 1 Plaits, 1 bOSC (analog oscillator) and a Feedback Static noise generator. But I've been having a lot of fun mixing analog waves modulating them in several different waves. I've now done a short track with the noise with envelopes for drums (nice old school) and the Rample is doing some bass percussion. I haven't even received my FX Aid and I have only 1 filter and 1 LFO (not really - my envelope is a Xaoc Zadar that I can also use as an LFO). So I'm finding it's much more flexible than I expected. I'm having a lot of fun expanding beyond what I assume are limitations, by creative patching.

You can check out some of my jams in this playlist . Everything was made with this rack. Of course, with one track per day, it's nothing spectacular, but I think it shows some of the flexibility of even a limited setup.

All vendors > In your user preferences you find a drop down menu Country Selection.

Select a country within the EU there.
Click here: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/users/edit
-- modulargrid

All EU vendors are gone for a while now whatever country is selected.

I use a combination of the zularic repetitor and marbles (which is basically a mini-grids+++) for this

OCHD gives 8 random LFOS for modulation.

-- jdesole

Hi Jdesole,

I don't think that's correct. I own a Øchd and yes it does provide me 8 LFO outputs but they are somehow all related to each other. You have one knob to adjust the speed of the LFO but the outputs are kind of "divided clock outputs" from each other. Or in other words, with an Øchd you don't have 8 independent LFOs, no you have in fact one LFO with eight (8) outputs. So it's great for simple LFO functionality for a large setup but for your case & casing with a rather small setup you should rather look for 2 or 4 independent LFOs (either in one or more modules).

When you get started, start with a bigger rack than you planned (you will not regret that in the near future) and start with a few major modules only, then gain some experience, learn from that and based on that new obtained experience and knowledge you then buy the next small batch of modules and repeat the same thing; in other words don't buy everything in one go.

Good luck with the planning, do some more research and reading and once you get into it, have fun with it :-) Kind regards, Garfield.
-- GarfieldModular

I don't think that's correct. They are related to each other in the same way that metronomes in Ligeti's Symphonic Poem are related to each other. Meaning, it you let them run for long enough, you might stumble upon a repeating configuration at some point. From the description on Instruō's website: "Each independent core is free running with rates configured from fastest to slowest arranged from top to bottom. Each frequency range was tuned by ear during development to give the optimum spread of control frequencies running in parallel. Being 100% analogue, the LFO’s will phase organically with the ability to ebb and flow together with their global frequency control."

But this has nothing to do with the OP. You clearly need to research a bit more how some modules work, specially the sequencing ones. It's a big search as there are lots of possibilities and none is perfect, although one might be perfect for YOU. Between interface, functionality, flexibility, amount of channels, etc... it gets quite difficult and you normally don't know how you get along with one until you try it... So I'd take advantage of the 2nd hand market for trying some out! ;)
Regarding that and your 12U project, I remember having read that Pressure Points does not need the Brains expander, if you're pairing it with the 2nd version of René. I might be wrng, but I think that is something that you should research, before you waste money on something you don't need.
As per utilities you do need much more, but their use only becomes apparent when you do start patching and don't have the means to achieve something you're trying to do, IMO. Otherwise its very theoretical and even I didn't get the point of having some I had from the very beginning... But sure enough, things like clock dividers, sequential switches, rectifiers and, in fact, mixing of all sorts, do open all your modules up, as I'm slowly finding out!! :D You need much less big 'guns', if you have the right 'ammunition', I suppose. And those are the utilities.
But they are also, somehow, connected with a kind of patching that lots of people have no interest in apparently, so yeah...
Your build is still very much full of inputs (on the big modules) and almost nothing to send them (as in modulation, event creators/modulators, etc) and even less ways to control how much and how often they are going to be sent (as in, enough VCAs and attenuators/verters). So my advice is to reduce, research and redraw.

One Oscillator, the STO from MakeNoise, I'm finally getting around to using the S-Gate which drives the acid line triggered by the Noise Engineering Bin Seq so can control the pattern on the fly, the Sub of the STO goes into the ReBach VCF-AB which turns anything into dirty acid synth! The Tri output of the STO goes into Monsoon Clouds for a nice wash of sound, then the Sine output of the STO heads into the DannySound #Timbre for some subtle wavefolding before it hits the Make Noise Mimeophon which is clocked.
The nice little blippy filter sweeps come from the FrequencyCentral Boom!
Hope you enjoyed, and thanks for listening / Watching.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

Yeah its definitely in there @farkas its currently doing some hi perc stuff via the ADDAC103 and triggering a synth line. I don't always hit it with CV though and just tweak it manually to find a nice pattern.

Is that what you have been using in your recent videos @wishbonebrewery? That thing looks pretty neat.

I have a https://www.modulargrid.net/e/dnipro-modular-dot-black-panel which is a really simple Euclidean trigger sequencer with CV control. Its nice to use for incidental percussion that flutters around the main percussion and with the CV you can make it change over time.

I've really liked the FXAID serie, I got both the "normal" and the XL. I did a long video of all the reverbs, just follow the link if interested. In another hand, I really love the Context V2, it has a input that can be used for CV modulation of any parameters. And it sounds magic.

fxaid reverbs :

test of the Context V2 :

What about something like Noise Engineering's Numeric Repetitor? A combination of the Numeric and Zularic Repetitors would be a powerful and fun combo at 16hp, and you could probably get both for under $500 used.

hello dear community, I just have posted a instructionnal video with some really cool examples of patching with the Black Dual ASR of Erica Synths. As usual, the video narration is in french but it has nice captions :)
It's a very cool module with some nice options, like the bipolar output. Only regret ? I'd love it to be even faster!

OCHD gives 8 random LFOS for modulation.

-- jdesole

Hi Jdesole,

I don't think that's correct. I own a Øchd and yes it does provide me 8 LFO outputs but they are somehow all related to each other. You have one knob to adjust the speed of the LFO but the outputs are kind of "divided clock outputs" from each other. Or in other words, with an Øchd you don't have 8 independent LFOs, no you have in fact one LFO with eight (8) outputs. So it's great for simple LFO functionality for a large setup but for your case & casing with a rather small setup you should rather look for 2 or 4 independent LFOs (either in one or more modules).

When you get started, start with a bigger rack than you planned (you will not regret that in the near future) and start with a few major modules only, then gain some experience, learn from that and based on that new obtained experience and knowledge you then buy the next small batch of modules and repeat the same thing; in other words don't buy everything in one go.

Good luck with the planning, do some more research and reading and once you get into it, have fun with it :-) Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi TumeniKnobs,

That's a great soundtrack, wow, lovely! So creative music, it's very intriguing to listen at :-)

Thanks a lot for sharing this with us and kind regards, Garfield.