"Chads," huh?

@Lugia the roots were way further back...

Tricky Dicky and Reagan/Thatcher were particular low lights!!!
-- JimHowell1970

Don't remind me. Ronnie got elected during the very first semester of my undergrad, and when that happened, I started making plans to change my degree path. I had been looking at a more academia-based model, getting the degrees and getting onto some tenure track somewhere, but I switched to the "plan B" of going back to TN, transferring to MTSU's Music Industry program, and getting some practical experience back in Nashville. Was probably the right move, as they went after the National Endowments first.

Interestingly, for all of the puffery about "smaller government", Reagan and his cronies only managed to eliminate ONE program in its entirety: CETA (ie: Community Education and Training in the Arts, a program intended to bring arts programs to the inner city, deep rural areas, etc). Says a lot, I think.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1975520.jpg
Hello I am new here :) I thought it would be fun to suffer and go MODULAR I need help building around the modules shown ^^^ kit suggestions and advice very much appreciated
(I am aiming for a celestial generative ambient kit)

We can discuss when the world really started going to hell. End of 19th century Vienna is a good candidate, too. As is the first election of Putin, the rise of extreme right in Europe (also here in Belgium) and now extreme left as well. Facebook has a nice role to play. As a former student of Japan and having visited the country many, many times, I was particularly shocked by the shooting of Shinzo Abe. The timing right after the string of shootings in the States really hit home. I don't think I've seen anything like it in Japan since the sarin gas attacks in the Tokyo metro in 1995.

Thanks for your opinions on the subject. Now, about the track.... ;-)

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

An Echo from Synthrotek. Pretty basic, they are just putting a Princeton tech chip and an op amp on a board with the right support components. They haven’t added any additional circuitry to enhance or modify the chip, it’s a pretty basic unit.
Sounds OK, and good to have as a secondary echo.

Build

Pretty much the last patch I posted but with sort of percussion-linked Theremin samples being modulated in a Prok BD flashed as a RadioMusic, saves me building a Radio Music.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Hi, did you get the Flux yet? If so I’m wondering what you think of it. Cheers!

Thanks for the advice. Really helpful

I have the Rackbrute already, got it £100 cheaper than the Mantis, although I appreciate the Mantis offers more HP and better power. I’m banking on the Rackbrute being enough to meet my needs. Although I don’t quite follow how to move the switch and power to gain another 4HP?

On the VCA, it’s difficult to source the Alyseum. Thoughts on either the Intellijel or Doepfer Quad VCA instead? The latter being a fair bit cheaper.

here's a link to a slighlty old, but still massively applicable and useful learning resource:
https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43964&sid=d750b0736c2737fee8f5381be539a3a2

have fun!!

-- JimHowell1970

thank you so much again

thanks a lot. this is my first experience with synth in general, i'm bass player, i'm a neewbie.
i bought the crave to start in this world and now, a few weeks later i bought any modules to expand it. meanwhile i studied a little the basis of the synth using voltage modular from cherry audio. for now I'm not interested a rack who play without a keyboard.effect like reverbs, delay, chorus etc, for now, I apply them with the daw.
-- monux

if you're a bassist - you might want to look into an instrument input (possibly with envelope/pitch following and gate extraction), expression pedal interfaces (so you can have some control over the modular with your feet, whilst playing bass) & effect pedal interface...

as for filters & waveshapers, I'd see them not so much as effects, but as a fundamental parts of a modular synthesizer, like vcas, vcos, envelope generators and lfos

although all that might be in the (near) future for you...

here's a link to a slighlty old, but still massively applicable and useful learning resource:
https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43964&sid=d750b0736c2737fee8f5381be539a3a2

have fun!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

this user has left ModularGrid
Thread: Bug Report

well, most people who comment their public racks are seeking advice - so you got it...

use the advice to help you think about where you are going with this...

we have a lot of experience here...
-- JimHowell1970

thanks a lot. this is my first experience with synth in general, i'm bass player, i'm a neewbie.
i bought the crave to start in this world and now, a few weeks later i bought any modules to expand it. meanwhile i studied a little the basis of the synth using voltage modular from cherry audio. for now I'm not interested a rack who play without a keyboard.effect like reverbs, delay, chorus etc, for now, I apply them with the daw.

@Lugia the roots were way further back...

Tricky Dicky and Reagan/Thatcher were particular low lights!!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

I'd agree in the main with @Lugia...

and add only get the isolator if you get clipping without it and can't mitigate that with a pad on whatever you are sending it to... you won't do any damage though - I've used an old yamaha mg10 mixer (cost me £100, years ago) and never needed anything to mitigate clipping...

also I'd consider a tiptop mantis case over the rackbrute - a little bit more expensive, but 40hp bigger, better power supply and most importantly no rack wart!! so more space for modules you actually want!

powered with an improved uZeus-derived P/S with ample amps, and it's so reasonably priced.
-- Lugia

it's uZeus studio bus P/S based - not the crappy flying bus board noise monster!!!

well, most people who comment their public racks are seeking advice - so you got it...

use the advice to help you think about where you are going with this...

we have a lot of experience here...

how are you interfacing with your computer? and/or mixing the semi and the rack?

you definitely don't need so many buffered mults - passives will do

no filter?

no waveshaper?

it's a bit pedestrian...

I'd get a better effects module - which can take more modulation and better ergonomics - fx aid xl or bigger!

standard advice: get a bigger rack you'll need it sooner than you think... tiptop mantis is the best bang for buck (hp/price/manufacturer reputation/good power!)
-- JimHowell1970

wait a moment , this configuration is work in progress. i use niftycase to interfacing with daw but actually i'm using the rack only like a companion of behringer crave. i don't have each modules showed in configuration. i use the modulargrid like "bom" ;)

+1 on the Mantis...as usual. 208 hp, easy to tote around, and expandable with another Mantis later on. Even with seasoned modular users, putting together a full build in a little skiff like this isn't an easy task. You wind up losing out since there's either two options there:

1) You CAN do a full build with tiny modules that pose serious ergonomic challenges, or

2) You avoid the tiny modules, but don't have space for a full-on build.

OTOH, building into 208 spaces is FAR easier. You have far fewer situations that require the use of tiny modules, for one thing. And the other: $335, baybee! Yeah...powered with an improved uZeus-derived P/S with ample amps, and it's so reasonably priced.

Mind you, tiny builds DO have their place; I put together a modular parallel guitar processor last night in a Palette 62, for example. But note this one point: that was a "mission-specific" build and NOT a full synth. So small cabs do have a place...just not a place for building full modulars in that small of a space.

Maths, definitely...but in this starter build here, I think you'll have plenty to keep you busy on the starter version here. Plus, you've got 69 hp to build this on out later..and I dropped modules in here that are already set for future expansion.
ModularGrid Rack
Very basic, this...but as noted, it's ready to fill on out as time/budget allows. That's why there's the quad VCA, the 4-in stereo mixer (and its FX send/returns), and the two quad modules from Xaoc with their expanders. The Happy Nerding Isolator 2022 is optional, if you feel OK about sending synth-level to your mixer/interface/etc.

The only caveat I have here is whether or not the ES-8 will fit. It's got a depth of 50mm, and these days most portable cabs top out at 45 or so. It DOES have an 80 hp factory P/S, though, so it might be just fine.

[NB: The Isolator should be to the right of the TexMix master; MG "decided" it belonged where it wound up. Silly website...]

Many thanks!
I was looking at adding Instruo Ochd/Maths/Pamela’s New Workout at some point- maybe they'd be useful from the start?
But grateful for your expertise
Thanks

So does this look like a good starting point with options to get creative or am I missing something key here?

-- MrMojoRisin

Well, yeah, you are...pretty much any and all modulation sources are missing, and you WILL need those in order to make those modules do their thing. In short, they're essential.

Give me a bit, and I'll try and bang out a decent "start here" build in a Rackbrute.

Mmm...I would be more inclined to think that everything started going to hell back in 2001, starting with Dubya giving away the budget surplus, and ending of course...well, yeah. Over on Reddit, on r/vaporwave, 9/11 often gets referred to as "the death of fun", and it really does feel as if that date was a sociological crater that we've never fully crawled out of.

I know! I'm not slamming it, I love it to bits. The VA one is the Cobalt - Argon is the wavetable.

-- Arrandan

Yep, but I keep calling it that because, unlike the PPG Wave 2.3 I had, I can get at pretty much ALL parameters from the panel. The PPG always felt a bit like it had something to hide, control-wise...which often required the Waveterm B to get to, and it just got too irritating. Comparatively, the Argon 8 feels like I'm driving my JP-6...but it's not the JP-6.

Just a good example of how a "redux" can arrive at results that go WAY beyond the capabilities of the original as long as the new company gets what needs fixing AND how to fix it.

how are you interfacing with your computer? and/or mixing the semi and the rack?

you definitely don't need so many buffered mults - passives will do

no filter?

no waveshaper?

it's a bit pedestrian...

I'd get a better effects module - which can take more modulation and better ergonomics - fx aid xl or bigger!

standard advice: get a bigger rack you'll need it sooner than you think... tiptop mantis is the best bang for buck (hp/price/manufacturer reputation/good power!)

my first rack is a companion for the behringer semi modular synth, crave. I will use both instruments to play samples through ableton and mono line with an old oxygen v2 midi keyboard

As usual, smart contact and fine transaction with @Slim
Merci !

ModularGrid Rack

Hi

I’m completely new to modular but looking to build my first euro rack.

I’d be grateful for feedback on the design above. At the moment I am just looking for something to get me up and running.

I want to integrate it into my existing DAW setup with Ableton and use CV tools, hence the ES-8 (I need USB)

I’m planning to house this in an Arturia Rackbrute 6U, so I have plenty of scope for adding more modules later down the line.

I realise this design will benefit from extra modules but I just want something to get started with, while also trying to minimise initial spend.

So does this look like a good starting point with options to get creative or am I missing something key here?

I want to monitor through headphones (hence Pico) and I’ll also be using my Arturia Keylab Mkii.

Grateful for any advice!

I created this yesterday after Shinzo Abe was shot and died. It's a requiem mourning the end of peaceful society, with autocracy and US libertarian inspired gun violence engulfing the world.

Ooooo...don't be slammin' on that Argon8! I've got one...and it's like a bottomless pit as far as sonic capabilities! Sort of a very different take on VA synths...it gets lumped in with them, but this has way more going on than some Roland "ACB" synth. It's actually closer in character to the Access Virus...on 'roids!

-- Lugia

I know! I'm not slamming it, I love it to bits. The VA one is the Cobalt - Argon is the wavetable. And it's got some really great wavetables at that, and good effects too. I bought it to try and learn the keyboard but never got anywhere with that. I'm spending all my waking hours (well, mostly) on my modular nowadays. I need to find a way to integrate the Argon. Should be possible with the Oxi over midi, then Argon out to my ES-9...

Had a bash at this, too...
ModularGrid Rack
Kinda different...I approached this purely as an FX processor.

TILES: Noise Tools is first, provides a master clock (if needed), sample and hold, noise source, and slew limiter. Then a DuATT handles the basic mixing/attenuation for control signals. The Apex offers about 20+ other (mostly modulation) functions, including various envelope generator functions. And the Stereo Out, of course.

ROW: Starts with a little PWRchekr so you can keep an eye on DC rail health. Then the Nonlinearcircuits Env Follower gives you your guitar preamp, plus gate and envelope outputs derived from the inputted signal. I tossed the Ochd in deference to having individually-controlled LFOs via the Xaoc Batumi (and Poti). Then I added a Warps clone so that you can do various sorts of audio mangling before anything hits the Morphagene, which is next. And the Beads is after that...followed by Happy Nerding's 4x stereo mixer. Now, that module lets you take all three processing modules' outputs and parallel mix them, so you can either use the processors in a linear fashion, or you can have them with individually-controlled levels in a parallel configuration. This is VERY flexible in terms of sonics; using that mixer opens this build up a bit farther than expected.

But Jim's quite correct...the Palette 62 is definitely NOT a proper starting cab. But it does make a good case for building something "mission-specific", which this is. No sound generation (not counting the noise source here) as this build isn't really a synth, but this IS a hellacious "stomp-box" as far as guitar processing goes.

Vibrato...if it had an aftertouch sensor. I don't think that keyboard does, though. Therefore, the "hold" makes more sense; I would check how the ARP 2600's "keyboard latch" function works, and then proceed from there. You might consider mounting a 1/4" jack for a momentary-on pedal for this, too.

I could box the Argon 8X that I'm not really using and set them up there. And anyway - room arrangements aren't done yet here. Heck, we don't even have doors yet!
-- Arrandan

Ooooo...don't be slammin' on that Argon8! I've got one...and it's like a bottomless pit as far as sonic capabilities! Sort of a very different take on VA synths...it gets lumped in with them, but this has way more going on than some Roland "ACB" synth. It's actually closer in character to the Access Virus...on 'roids!

Thread: Starter Rack

A few observations...

First up, the Brains supposedly played a part in why Emilie is shutting Mutable Instruments down. Yes, the Plaits (which is what that actually is) was an "open source" project, but having the module basically stolen had to have hurt.

Secondly: are you trying to build two different synthesizers in the same cab here? It seems that way...and I can assure you that you WILL wind up with two different synthesizers, both of which will be pretty compromised in terms of capability.

Third: have you ever had any hands-on experience with those Mutable clones, such as the After Later stuff in this? If not, I'm pretty safe in saying that the tiny knobs with little clearance all mashed together WILL drive you nuts.

Fourth: mults. This build is way too small to accommodate them. In the current version, you lose 8 hp on those alone. You're far better off using the 8 hp for actual functionality, and then using inline mults and/or stackcables to deal with the stuff the mults are there for.

Hmmmm...gonna futz around with this...

[time passes]

OK...got it.
ModularGrid Rack
So what's going on here? Let's see...

TOP: Starts off with a ring mod/slew limiter/sample and hold, then there's four VCOs from Uli's System 100 clones. After that are six VCAs...and why there's six and not four is because I opted to go with a module that gives you two extra VCAs that you can use in cross-mod tricks between the four VCOs. You'll see a little more of that in a bit...anyway, after the VCAs are two VCFs. One is your Tiptop Steiner Synthacon clone, which in this context is more of a "lead" VCF due to the wilder nature of that filter. So as a counterpoint to that, I put in one of G-Storm's Korg Delta VCF clones. These are based around SSM chips and the same filter architecture was also used in the Poly61, and as such, it's the "nice" filter...very smooth, great for pad-type sounds. And then, yep, more VCAs, these being for controlling the VCF output amplitudes. And again, two of these VCAs are for other uses as needed. After this, we get into the mixing stage, where we first see the FX units...both from Tiptop, their Echoz and Zverb...and then a four-in stereo mixer. Now, look at the master section of that, and you'll find the FX send/returns...which are set up perfectly so that you can feed mono sends to the Tiptop FX and get them back in stereo, just like the TexMix is set up for. Oh, and the TexMix has VCA levels on each input strip...so even better control!

BOTTOM: First off, the sequencer section, where I chose a Tiptop Z8000...which is an interesting device in that you get aspects of Buchla and Serge-type sequencers as well as more "normal" sequencing duties. This can either feed the Behringer Sequential Switch (which leaves you with an extra sequencer channel for controlling other things) or the Klavis CalTrans quantizer directly, since it has four inputs on its own. If you want long sequences, use the Behringer to string patterns together and then send its output to the CalTrans. And that can be fun, since you now have three spare channels which can "quantize" modulation signals into semi-random tesselation figures. Noise gen is next, with its own S&H plus a random voltage generator. And then the LFOs...four of them, via Xaoc's well-loved Batumi (with the Poti expander). Maths is next, then a Frap Tools 321 and a Happy Nerding 3xVCA...and those are for altering/modifying/wrecking other modulation sources to get MORE modulation signals. Then at the very end, Xaoc strikes again with their Zadar (and Nin expander) quad EG.

This should keep you busy for a hot minute. I left several "open-ended" bits in there (as noted above) to give you a number of different options for control, modulation, and the like. And the Z8000 has the ability to fix that sequencer aversion...it's a rather complex critter, hooked in with the ability to string sequences and then quantization for each oscillator, meaning that if you wanted to, you could send each Z8000 channel to a channel on the CalTrans, which results in a CV line per VCO. Yeah...four-voice sequencing! And with the current price of the Mantis, you are right at your $4k budget.

Hi community!
In this very short video, we see how to usde the SQUEEZE compressor the "NY" style, which is a method of parallel compression often use in the late 80 or early 90s tht gives great result on drums.

Hi community

A few years ago i found an AKAI synthstation25 keyboard somewhere in the trash.
I never expected that i will find a use for this but recently i tried to create an eurorack module with it's keyboard.
Within a few hours i successfully built a fully functional eurorack keyboard on the breadboard with:
- 1 output jack for CV pitch
- 1 output jack for CV gate with LED indication
- pitch bend potentiometer +/- 1 octave
- another potentiometer for +/- 2 octave shift
- beeing a class compliant midi controller as well (polyphonic for possible usage with hermod's usb host jack)

Next thing i am going to do is creating a prototype PCB and a frontplate (~50 HP)

But before that i should have finished my decision which functionality will be included in the final product.
there is some space left on the frontplate (~15 mm x ~150 mm) where i could add controls for any further features (jacks, potentiometers, leds, switches).

I dont want to build a feature packed keyboard (like keystep). i just want to use the remainig space for something useful.
Currently i have no clock + reset input so "sequential/arpy" features should be avoided

Does anyone have an idea which functionality would make sense?

my ideas:

Vibrato

for low frequency oscillating around the current note pitch
no additional jacks needed
- 1 potentiometer for speed/lfo frequency
- 1 potentiometer for amplitude

Hold

for keeping the gate open until the next note hit
no additional jacks needed
- 1 LED switch

Thank`s for your answer. The modwiggler source is incredible and worth a lot. I don't intend to build my system limited to 62hp. I'm only interested in what's possible in this small space. Or if someone, for example, uses the pallete next to the main case as a travel case.

I have all modules except the 1u modules in my rack
+ Marbles, Plaits, Ripples, Rings, Samara II, Döpfer Quad VCA, Döpfer Narrow Mixer, Yarns, Disting MK4, ALM019 out

And yes, your reply was interesting ;)

Du, den här va inte dålig!! Är det bygger IRL alltså?

Nice Simon.. Ser bra ut :-)

Very cool! I love all the little percussive mechanical bits
-- Gworn

Thanks Gworn. It was mainly achieved by blending enough of the original, plus some delay by the sounds, but I can't recall the rest of the patch. But it was one of those that just worked :)

Nebulae v2 (Bowed Drone mode) > Imitor Versio > Desmodus Versio > Starlab

Hello, everyone,

I would like to start a thread dealing with the 62hp Palette from Intellijel.

It's not a good starter case - best reserved for specific things like sequencing - to compliment a proper case

a much better (and by that I mean infinitely better) starter case is a Tiptop Mantis - it's 104hp with 2 rows which means that you will have space to expand (which you will need) - and it's the best by far case for hp/cost/good power/manufacturer reputation - and it is still very portable (unless you are a small child) - and it relieves you from the burden of 1u modules and the mostly superfluous preinstalled functions

The main module in the system should be Morphagene. All other modules should be based on it.

There are no modules based on the Morphagene - perhaps you mean compliment?

The basic idea for my rack is Morphagene as the first sound source. Tides V2 is the second sound source as an oscillator for atmospheric backings or for modulation. The 4 outputs can be modulated with Ochd via the two VCAs. Beads and FX Aid for the effects section and ears as input for external sound sources. Pamela's NEW Workout for clock and modulation

There is not enough space in a 62hp case for multiple voices and the support modules that are needed to provide the infrastructure that is needed to get them to work... please see my signature for a rough guide on how to get the most versatility from a modular synthesizer for the least cash

Have you got the ears yet? - it's a fantastic module, but it's discontinued (like almost all mutable instruments modules) and potentially difficult to get...

Having found the actual rack (so I could insert the link below) I've inferred that you are a guitar player - me too! I'd want a better input module - if I was starting now I would get a sonicsmith converter ev1 - this has the best pitch follower of any module and adds a vco that follows that pitch...

I'd also want i/o for pedals and some ways of controlling the modular with my feet (whilst playing the guitar) so some combination of foot switches and expression pedals - I'd look at addac for this - they do a great module that comes with a breakout box and some foot switches - you just have to add the expression pedals and you are good to go!!

another issue is that the modules are too cramped - once you have plugged in patch cables - at least some of the modules will have knobs that will not be accessible - eurorack is already very small and ignoring ergonomics can lead to completely unplayable synths - this is at least verging on it... especially aroud the fx aid...

not enough mixers imo!!!

how are you intending to provide pitch information to tides? no midi ->cv module, no sequencer... you could use pams, but it will only be a quantized, looped random signal... also remember that you will need to tune tides to your root note...

also I would strongly suggest doing some more research on modular synthesis - the modulation that you are describing is really just shaping notes from the sound sources - vcas are incredibly useful for other things as well - & for basic modulation - modulation -> attenuator/attenuverter -> modulayion input on module is a good way to go - whilst this is perhaps a little bit out of date, it is still a good learning resource - https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43964

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1947169.jpg

Here's the actual link to the rack - jpgs are useless for people trying to help you!!!

ModularGrid Rack

What would your setup look like around Morphagene in the 62 hp range or what would you change?

predominantly the case into a more sensible one, replace ears, add features that are useful for giutarists - replace the 1u modules with 3u so they will fit in the mantis

if you absolutely must have 1u - then I would want the noise tools module - all the rest are m'eh at best (can you tell I think 1u is an absolute waste of space?)

I look forward to interesting answers

-- FWGW

I hope it was interesting!

Same here well quite a few folks are talented and make cool beats on their modulars. Mastering my sequencers and tools has been important for me so I can get decent beats and patterns cooking and then adjust the rest.

Hello, everyone,

I would like to start a thread dealing with the 62hp Palette from Intellijel.

The main module in the system should be Morphagene. All other modules should be based on it.
The basic idea for my rack is Morphagene as the first sound source. Tides V2 is the second sound source as an oscillator for atmospheric backings or for modulation. The 4 outputs can be modulated with Ochd via the two VCAs. Beads and FX Aid for the effects section and ears as input for external sound sources. Pamela's NEW Workout for clock and modulation

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1947169.jpg

What would your setup look like around Morphagene in the 62 hp range or what would you change?

I look forward to interesting answers

Most of the tracks that I produce are too far out there to be music but over time, my skills develop and I come up with some good tunes.
-- sacguy71

I thought my music was too far out there until I went to a workshop with 8 other modular gearheads and heard what they were up to
Edit: fixed the quote

Like New! Purchased just a few months ago from DM. Comes with box and cable. $385 free shipping. Thank you!

1) Modules usage of bus-signals

i think it would be helpful to add 2 properties to the module specs to have an overview which modules makes use of the 2 signal lines of the power bus:
Bus Gate: in | out | none | unknown
Bus CV: in | out | none | unknown

2) showing rack size in users rack list

for example this list modulargrid.net/e/users/view/200335
Some users have dozens of racks and wouldn't it be nice to see XU x YHP in this list without the need to open each racks detail view?

Some modular techno I made this week:

I am in an online modular group and we have a weekly modular music challenge that has me focused on mastering my gear. Most of the tracks that I produce are too far out there to be music but over time, my skills develop and I come up with some good tunes. I am really enjoying using my WMD Metron and WMD percussion modules to create beats lately and the Rossum Trident with Mob of Emus into my Rossum Morpheus Z Plane filter sounds incredible! I do find Hertz Donut a tricky beast to sound musical but with the Stillson Hammer (SH) thru the 1v/oct connection to cv on the SH that gets me more results. I clock the WMD Metron to the Stillson Hammer so melody and drums are in sync. All in all, endless fun!