I do not own a Hydrasynth.

The Hydrasynth has a CV Clock output according to the manual. If the Hydrasynth can sync to your DAW via MIDI, I would assume that it can simultaneously generate the CV clocks you're looking for.

Page 89 of the manual discusses the setting possibilities. There might be lag between the MIDI sync being sent from the DAW until the time the Hydrasynth outputs the clock. Since I don't own the synth... I can't tell you if this is a problem, but the Hydrasynth has offset parameters for just this problem.

You might want to try making the Hydrasynth the true master and slave the DAW via MIDI Clock to it. If you're using a constant tempo, then this shouldn't be an issue. The CV Clock might be more accurate that way.
http://media.justmusic.de/shop/assets/handbuch/10053556_Hydrasynth_Manual.pdf

Experiment a bit and report back. Someone else might have a Hydrasynth and the same questions.

I like Behringer's recreation of old synths that are out of production or only available as a modernized reissue. To me that's fine. The parts to those original synths typically don't exist anymore... so they have to be recreated, moved to a surface mount environment, build them to Eurorack conventions, as well as at least come close to sounding like the original (let's not debate how close for the sake of brevity).

But I find duplicating modern, in-production designs to be too much of an affront. This is a 1:1 rip-off of Intellijel's quad VCA.

If Behringer innovated the design, added more features, changed the ergonomics of it... then I could give it a pass. That's what good cottage industry modular makers do. But this is a bridge too far even for me.

Well that's my $0.02....

Maybe Sweetwater will redirect this to either the Mutable or Intellijel version on their website, like they did with the Swing. I thought that was a nice gesture...and once they did it, you really didn't hear much about the Swing anymore.
-- Lugia

@Lugia Did they really do this? I never noticed but that is a pretty cool move for a company that I thought had done a complete 180 on Behringer. I remember years ago when they didn't even sell Behringer products at all, for whatever reasons they had.

I'm thinking there is a bigger universal picture to my getting into modular...currently not being able to find modules that have been recommended for what I'm wanting to do is forcing me to dive deeper into the two modules I currently have (Maths and Quadrax playing with my Hydrasynth desktop)...however, I did find a FX Aid XL this morning and its now on the way.

I heard that Frap Tools is shipping again, I've been looking to get the 321...that and the QX expander will be coming shortly thereafter...if they are available.

On a more serious note...does availability of modules go in 'cycles'...has the pandemic really hurt the module manufacturers (ie chip and raw material shortages) or is it more the nature of modular in general that availability comes and goes in cycles?

JB

Thanks, @JimHowell1970

With this explicit information:
"rear headers (-> attenuation) -> 1/8" -> 1/4""

It is most certainly you are right, the 3HP version must be modular lvl.
The intention here looks obvious, if you need Line lvls go for the 6HP version.

@Hikove - that's a very good question - I've not built mine (which are the 3hp ones btw) - but I am intending to use them with a es8/es6 combination - which should take both

I suspect they are modular level - as iirc they are pre-fader - but there may be attentuation - not checked the BOM yet - the 6hp versions with 1/4" outputs appear to have some smd ICs (so maybe there is/maybe there isn't), but are also described as usable as standalone 1/8"->1/4" adapters - not that that means anything as signal path could very well be:

rear headers (-> attenuation) -> 1/8" -> 1/4"

most modern mixers/audio interfaces should be able to handle modular level signals - before I got the texmix I was using a cheap yamaha mixer (MG12? cost me about €100 new in the mid-2000s) - and it was fine - just turn the gain right down! or not

if you really want to know send Mangu an email (contact details are on website) - he usually responds pretty quickly

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thank you very much for your points, I took note of all of them and processing!!!

Edir: BTW @JimHowell1970, the Douts's outputs are Line level or Modular level? I am guessing it only makes sense with Line lvl outs, but I must ask anyway. Thanks.

DO REGISTER YOUR DESIGNS! Checkout these websites for copyright protection of your designs:

Patents are expensive, registering your designs isn't. And they will protect against blatant copies of your design work like this one from Behringer FOUR PLAY. They only added a few words and changed colors. But it is clear to anyone that it is a copyright infringement if only the design of the Intellijel Quad VCA is registered.

Hello!

Are there any delay modules similar in sound to the one inside Analogue Solutions Treadstone?

My advice to all companies in the modular synthesis world: DO REGISTER YOUR FRONT PANEL DESIGN! This falls under copyright protection and it makes it very difficult for other companies to almost completely copy that. The FOUR PLAY module from Behringer looks a lot like the Quad VCA from Intellijel, and I'm certain that this will result in a copyright infringement if the design is registered!
Software and Hardware are almost impossible to secure in this way, but at least you can secure your look and feel!

1A = 1000mA

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

I have a couple of the smaller DIY ones (pusherman and york modular) - the AISynthesis one is similar - if you are pushed for space then they are fine - although if I was to buy one now I would probably go for the doepfer or the 4ms vcam - or maybe the doepfer and a rebel technology mix04 - or maybe the nonlinearcircuits clump

I have the tex-mix - I started with a master channel, 4* mono channels, 4* stereo channels - I have added an extra 4*mono channels, plus another and 2 3hp douts in the DIY backlog

plus points - it's inexpensive, it's properly expandable, it has 'most of the features' that the wmd perf mixer has, it's DIYable (if you want to save a bit more cash) - full kits are relatively expensive, but only as all the smd is pre-populated - so only panel furniture and headers need soldering - about 1/2 hours work or so per module - so not madly labour saving - Mangu's customer service is great and shipping is quick

minus points - vcas only on mono channels, no auto-panning, only 1 headphone output, no stereo send return - only 2 mono to stereo, it uses knobs not faders

but for most of these things there is a work around - mostly get more vcas and utilities

I mainly see vcas on mixers to be used for controlling channel gain - not for shaping individual notes

I've just got a doepfer octal vca to pair with 4*stereo channels - yes I know it's linear - but for channel gain I think it should be fine - not tried it yet and won't for a while (a month at least - long story)

auto panning - how much do you use it?? do you really need it on every channel? I don't use them that much, maybe will in the future with better stereo imaging - a pair of vcas, a mult and an inverter - plus whatever you were going to use to control the panner anyway - all of which may already be in your modular - but you may need more of these

there are 2 mono sends available for each track - I use these as l and r outputs into (currently) an fx aid xl and then just use one of the stereo returns

the faders on the perf mixer are quite short - I find the knobs fine though

Hello Garfield,

Thank you very much for your regular attentive listening and all your kind words!
I’m really happy that my music helps someone to cheer up after a hard day at work. I create it mainly in the evenings after my day work and it also helps me to relax and recover.

Wish this Friday will be more easy and pleasant for you :) Have a nice weekend! Cheers!

Hi Oldan,

Not sure where the issue is? I don't see it to be honest, as you mentioned already:

Their website states that "This case has integrated Erica Synths PSU capable of 1.25A per rail (2.5A total)."

And then you checked your PSU (good by the way to check!) and you found this:

OUT ±12VDC / 1250mA (thus -12 V at 1250 mA = 1.25 A and +12 V at 1250 mA = 1.25 A, together 2.5 A; I assume, unless the manual of that PSU says differently)

So that's the same, isn't it, so... where do you see an issue? Did you bought this Erica Synths case new from Erica Synths or an authorised Erica Synths dealer? If yes, then this should be fine.

You could start with one module, then two, etcetera, in case you are still not sure but I don't see an issue.

Have fun with modular and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Effin' Uli...OK, going to have to find some brown duct tape to cover up the Behringer logos on the 2600 and Pro-1.

Maybe Sweetwater will redirect this to either the Mutable or Intellijel version on their website, like they did with the Swing. I thought that was a nice gesture...and once they did it, you really didn't hear much about the Swing anymore.

Thanks, great tip!
Btw (a little bit OT, but…), it’s been a while since I looked into the AE modular, but I did yesterday. Those drone modules (DronX & Drone38) seem really interesting. You’re using them?
-- Noctopolis

Not YET...but they ARE on order. Should be here either late this month or sometime in August with Tangible's general order fulfillment scheme.

Frankly, I love the HELL out of my AE. The primary voicing "cores" on that are very Buchla: a dual DCO and dual VCA, plus two main VCOs, a CVable waveshaper, and manual summing mixer per "core". Six of those. Haven't got anything cut with it just yet due to being stuck in an inexorable studio upgrade, but that sound...daaaaaaaamn...

Hi Igor,

Just hitting the play button again. I just finished a hard and long day work and finally, I am getting rewarded with one of your great tracks :-) I don't know how you do it, but seriously after a stressful day of work, there is nothing better than listening at one of your tracks. This latest track does that just fantastic good :-)

I might end up the rest of the night, keep clicking on the play button, can't get enough of it, too nice ;-) Thank you very much and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Thanks @defragmenteur, I will check out those modules in greater detail! Frames in particular has been baffling to me on prior looks; more soak time with the manual and videos will help.

@Lugia, I'm curious if you would have anything to add to the above discussion?

Thanks all!

They even added the same boost switch. Bruh…

--- Voltage control all the things ---

@Egocentre Are Intelijel designs even open source? This just seems like straight-up theft with the expectation that Intellijel wouldn't be able to pay for litigation against a mammoth like Behringer.

This is a another attempt at getting a quick buck and free advertising by creating outrage. They don't understand or don't CARE about the ethics behind open source workers and deliberately don't put credits anywhere except for their own website that, may I add, nobody visits except their legal team. That's right, just jump into this market, use open source work from a woman without giving proper credits, and call it foreplay because how else would anyone notice your company is run by actual pigs?

EDIT: corrected by @merzky_shoom ; I understood this as a clone of MI's veils mixed with a 1:1 copy of the Quad VCA front panel from Intellijel, well, turns out this time they don't even bother protecting themselves by taking open source work, they apparently just went straight for plagiarism? So eurorack module manufacturers have to buy patents now??

Thread: Trance Gates

It was mainly my computer's in-built sound card, things are now better with the Roland Rubix 22 I grabbed off ebay.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

I'll be trying Clouds into Mimeophon, I'll probably use sounds from the ADDAC103 into Monsoon Clouds (no Reverb) then into Mimeophon, I expect this to be fairly fun.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

Erica Sample Drum is a fun option.

What is the best all-in-one module for messing with drum breaks?

repeat, pitch, reverse, etc. hopefully with lots of cv!

Words fail. This is disgraceful.

Thread: Trance Gates

Is it just me or do I hear pops/clicks/clipping in the audio of the second video? I am very curious about this since a bought the iRig Duo Pro a couple of weeks ago, and no matter what I try I get random annoying little pops and clicks in the audio. Tried all kinds of level settings everywhere in the audio chain, and different video setting on the iPhone, and even tried recording in Airplane mode - but nothing worked. I will be sending it back. I tried recording audio and video separately last night using the iPhone for video and a Zoom recorder for the audio and syncing them together in Studio One 5. It was quite easy to do, so while it is a little more work, I think it's a better, cheaper way to go for me.

Mimeophon is one of the first modules I bought and I absolutely love it. It is very playable and musical, like all the Make Noise stuff I have. Most of the stuff I have posted on MG features the Mimeophon. I also have the Chronoblob and it too is amazing, but in a more standard delay type of way. Chronoblob into Mimeophon, both in ping pong mode, gets you quickly into really crazy delay space. :-)

Hello all

I just got a Erica Synths 2x84HP case with PSU.
Their website states that "This case has integrated Erica Synths PSU capable of 1.25A per rail (2.5A total)."
But looking at the PSU, a Mornsun URA2412LD-30WR3 it says OUT ±12VDC / 1250mA
I'm afraid of burning my brand new modules and their support seems to be a bit slow on replying.
Anyone with a similar case can shine some light please?

@JimHowell1970
Thanks for chiming in! I’m using the Quadratt and Duatt as modulation mixers, offset and polarizers.
The current case is 7U on the first link, meaning the bottom 3U row is the coming skiff.
They would of course stay in one of the 1U rows in the big system! ;)

I have a switch incoming (and I’m really looking forward to it), when one of the ceis gets to the shop, as they were bought at the same time...

The matrix mixer is something I’m really considering, as it’s such a good way to open up modulation possibilities, as you said! Do you have any preference?

the rack as a whole seems very light on utilities - 'the dull polish that keep the shiny modules shining'
I would basically fill the skiff with a variety of these - you can get a lot more out of the modulation sources that you have by multing, mixing and modifying them more - a matrix mixer is especially useful, as are small mixers, offsets, polarizers, switches etc etc etc

New dreamy composition for eurorack modular synthesizer and electric guitar.
This patch formed the basis of the track from the latest album of my band Gamardah Fungus «Polaris».
You can check the full album here: https://gamardahfungus.bandcamp.com
Better to listen with headphones. As usually, more explanations on YouTube under the video.

What do you want to get out of physically patching synth modules that you're not going to get out of a DAW or traditional self-contained synth?

-- Ronin1973

A number of things really, some easy to explain and others not so much.

I've been making music on computers for over 20 years now. I've taken a hiatus from music for the last 5 and I'm looking to get back into it. I currently work on computers doing video editing and social media stuffs so I want something that will allow me to have a more visceral hands on approach top music making and less screens and drawing curves. Ultimately a computer will be necessary in order to capture and finalize but the goal is to do as much of it hands on and live as possible.

The plan is (at this point) to create multi leveled and textured music that is simultaneously industrial/aggressive and delicate/beautiful (yeah...I have no idea what that means either!). The rack I have currently laid out is what I consider Stage One...a few vital components that I either know I will need and have fallen in love with matched top some utilities to create a setup that is somewhat useful with the Minibrute 2S to start with before Stage Two.

Stage Two starts with a greater understanding of what I have, where I want to go and what I need to add to make that happen.

I was literally just playing around with things so I'd say its going to get more entertaining the more I play.

Thanks, great tip!
Btw (a little bit OT, but…), it’s been a while since I looked into the AE modular, but I did yesterday. Those drone modules (DronX & Drone38) seem really interesting. You’re using them?

Hello! I really love how the drony resonator (Cwejman Res-4) sounds in this video by hainbach:

But surely I can't afford that resonator, but I wonder if there is any more affordable resonators that could be interesting for creating drony textures.

Thanks in advance!

Edgecutter looks pretty cool.

Zadar accept gate in the trig input. You must set the point (knob D / sustain mode) on the envelop where the gate will be held.

O.O WoW that mixer is even better than the other two. I even got to free some HPs swapping them. Check my new modified rack out with somehow your ideas on.

Thanks!!

Edit: I think I got on the right direction and almost finish my intentions so far with my built. I can see most clearly where I want to go... ^^

If it's not sending clocks through the Hydra, then a perfectly good approach would be to split the clock with an inline mult or Y-cable. Since clocks are nothing but +5V(ish) pulses, you can split these as needed without major issues.

Another possible performance mixer would be Tesseract's TEXMIX system. In that case, you start with a master module, then add input modules as needed in either mono or stereo strips. Jim really likes this one, although it does have less CV automation potential than the WMD.

One thing I'd suggest if you ARE recabbing a Mescaline: check Folktek's modules, and you'll find a few more that use the Dupont pins...especially some little attenuator banks that can open things up further.

Hi Wishbonebrewery,

Oh wow, so fast already a jam with your new module, nice! :-) Indeed interesting this Mimeophon, so what are you saying, that I should get one too? ;-) I will put it higher up in my wish list :-D

Thanks a lot for demoing the Mimeophon and kind regards, Garfield.

New to modular so apologies for what is probably a very rudimentary question.

I am using Ableton Live with a MOTU 828 (CV outputs). I have a Hydrasynth that I am sending midi tempo signals to and am wondering, if I patch the Hydrasynths output into two of the modules I currently have, should they be tempo synched to the midi tempo I have sent out from Ableton?...does it automatically flow through the clock output from the Hydrasynth into my modules (using a stackcables to go to two different modules).

What is the best way to mange tempo when using a hybrid sort of setup?

JB

Hi Nokulture,

Totally different style than that track I just previously listened at from you and yet very interesting. With a bit of fantasy this could be a great soundtrack for a fantastic movie :-D

Nicely done! Thank you very much for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Nokulture,

Oh that's a nice track, nice and lovely melody, it's really fun to listen at! :-)

Great work and thank you very much for sharing this, kind regards, Garfield.

I love Instruo Ceis . Its a vc-ASDR but also has trigger outputs for every stage of the envelope. 🤯
For ambient slow motion things i love XAOC ZADAR

My three standouts:

Vanilla EG:
Intellijel Dual ADSR

Most modulation:
Tins Edgecutter

All-Around Favorite:
Tip Top Z4000 NS

There are plenty of great EGs... and most do what they say on the tin.

Yesterdays first play with the Mimeophon

Its going to be very entertaining :)