I love Instruo Ceis . Its a vc-ASDR but also has trigger outputs for every stage of the envelope. 🤯
For ambient slow motion things i love XAOC ZADAR

My three standouts:

Vanilla EG:
Intellijel Dual ADSR

Most modulation:
Tins Edgecutter

All-Around Favorite:
Tip Top Z4000 NS

There are plenty of great EGs... and most do what they say on the tin.

Yesterdays first play with the Mimeophon

Its going to be very entertaining :)

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Indeed!! I like the BL mixer too. I can keep the Intellijel mixup together with this one.
Thank you.

Add 'Chaos' subcategory filter to differentiate between chaos and random modules.

Amateur Waveshaper

Hey all!! It's been half a year since I started my Eurorack journey and I'm having a blast!!

This is my current rack: ModularGrid Rack

I pair it with some pedals and reverb on my laptop.
I had to take Maths out cause of space unfortunately (:/), but am getting a skiff this week, so it might get a second chance in!!! :)

I've made this other rack 'fantasy', trying to have an imagination of where I want to go in the future and have a possible final iteration! Maths won't be there.... :D Would rather go with Falistri as an alternative. Rings won't be there either.
I want to incorporate lots of field recording, my double bass as acoustic instrument and texture source, some guitar also. The music I want to create ambient, drone, with lots of lo-fi elements, tape degradation sounds, etc.

ModularGrid Rack

The whole system would be in two 7U (104hp) cases, so I also have an idea for the second 1U row with some mosaic modules and I'm sure I'd like to integrate some Ritual Electronics and possibly the Noise Tools and Stereo In and Out from IJ.

So I'd like some pointers on how to go further, please. As in, what should I add to my skiff (104 hp) keeping in mind I'd like mostly to expand on the modulation further. I know I need a sequencer and would like a second filter that should be stereo, apart from the needed modulation and a real mixer.

Thanks in advance y'all!!! :D

Looks pretty good.

I use a Blue Lantern Stereo Sir Mix-A-Lot
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/blue-lantern-modules-stereo-sir-mix-alot

It's 24HP versus 40 and is $500US cheaper. However it lacks a headphone jack and some features like prefader listen (cue). It's definitely not BETTER than the WMD... but $500 and 16HP is a nice stack of cash if you don't need as many channels... not a recommendation but an option.

Hi! Thanks for listening.
I wrote a little summary of the patch on the youtube video description. Let me know if you need to clarify some detail :)

That's a great listen! Just hit repeat. :-) I'd love to learn more about how it was done. Cheers.

Thanks! Yes, the Piston Honda "exciting" Rings produced some great (but sometimes ear piercing) feedback that sounded killer through my studio monitors. Mylar is awesome, and there are so many other folks producing great tutorial and review content. Soooo much to learn and explore. :-)

Thank you for this!!
If you make some farther changes, let a comment, please.
Don't delete it yet! ^^

...and refresh button does not make it update to the new one.

Is this a new bug? - it used to work better. Not always, but better.

I eventually tried it the way I described it (that is, the Mental-Motion-Channel mounted top-to-bottom in a 9U rack, not beside each other). To my surprise the beautiful patterns make an even more significant whole and the ins and outs is both more easily available and readable. I’ll gather the audio outs into a small mixer module. The channel touchplates are not as immediate as before but the rest really opens up. I’ll try this for a while and see what it brings to the table …

Pseudo generative patch around rings, plaits and plonk.

Just a simple patch around a melody from Plaits, and rampage as enveloppe modulated by ochd.

Thread: Tiki Bleepy

Thank you both. I hear a room full of people playing various percussion instruments. I am not sure what an alien fire drill is, but it sounds fun.

Thread: 2079

Thank you. Glad you like it.

Awesome!!

You have given me lot of homework. I need to study a lot of this, especially those first meeting modules on there.
I understand your arrangement and why is that. It is cool.

What got my complete attention was the small 1HP power checkers, something so important I didn't know it does exist.

But, there is something I really need and you took out; the WMD stereo xfader and compressor, and so the Erica DSP2, these units are essentially to process external stereo audio source and sent it back to the external mixer w/o mixing with the internal audio line, the Intellijel IN/Out on top row in the rack was for that purpose..

My first conclusion is, I need to get out modules for external stereo processing to a small case, like the 4ms pods.

I appreciate all the perspectives and POV in this modular approach.
I need to check all those modules out and distribution, I will be busy for awhile. ^^

Thank you very much, again.
Banzai!!

OK...now that the 416 hp cab is in play, I did some major adjustments to the initial version of that. There was a lot of superfluous stuff in that, and that was dealt with pretty quickly. For one thing, the only mult that's in here now is the 1 x 8 Erica buffered mult on the top row. As for the rest, just use inline mult widgets, and you'll be fine; you don't need several buffered mults, as their primary use is to keep scaled/quantized CVs on pitch by avoiding voltage sag. The Studio Electronics mixers also went away, as they're just too big for a build of this size. Once I got things pared down to size, I dove into the rework. So...
ModularGrid Rack
On the layout: things have been majorly regrouped in favor of function groupings, instead of splaying out all of the various "voices" all over the build. This actually makes the result much more intuitive and easier to patch.

Top row: This is all audio. The buffered mult is first, then the two Pitt oscillators, and then the Bifold. After this, you have the Mob of Emus...and I gave that a Bubblesound hex VCA so that every output of the Mob can now be brought under modulation control via the VCAs. The ONE got co-located with the Beads (a sensible pairing) and then the Panharmonium ends things up with more VCO processing.

Second row: Modulation left, filtering right. The mod sources here (except for a slew limiter, which fits into the signal flow between your MIDI interface and the buffered mult for the oscillator CVs) are all envelopes: Quadrax, Zadar, Dual ADSR, and the Quadrax and Zadar have their expanders. The other side is mostly filtering: Forbidden Planet, Linnaeus, Rings, then a Veils gives you CV control over the levels of four signals. Now, how that works is like this: if you wanted a signal via the Linneaus AND the Rings, you'd patch the left outs into the first and second VCAs, and the rights go to the third and fourth. With the way that the Veils' "breakout bus" works, you then take outputs from 2 and 4, and then you have two stereo pairs under full VCA control. The last bit there is a stereo summing mixer that lets you sum down three stereo signals to one stereo output pair.

Third row: Again, this is split with more modulation and control on the left, and your FX on the right. The MIDI interface is first, then a more complex dual sample and hold with an internal noise source. After that, the Batumi (with Poti), a triple linear VCA for CV/mod control over modulation signal levels, and the MISO fits in before the Maths. Then the FX themselves, with the two Tiptop modules up first, then the Mimeophon and Warps. The Dual Black FX was removed mainly due to redundancy, plus the new output mixer allows a lot more flexibility in terms of FX routing, as you'll see.

Bottom row: Control on most of this, with the main mixer taking up the right end. The left end's small modules all play around with timing: the Pam's, an Adventure Audio clock counter, a quad pulse delay for shifting/swinging clock pulses, a dual-channel stochastic pulse skipper, then a Joranalogue dual window comparator, which allows you to pick off gates from modulation signals or when any CV exceeds a given value. This is a window comparator, also, so you actually get THREE pickoffs per inputted mod signal. And all of these timing modifiers get down to a dual Boolean gate from Frequency Central. All of this allows you to really mess with the clocking and triggering, especially where the control of the different layers in the Z8000 are concerned. One more little module gives you stereo audio inputs, and this is located next to the WMD Performance Mixer, which contains your final level VCAs per input, gives you two different AUX busses to feed your FX from the strips (and this is where those two Tiptop modules come in, since you can simultaneously use the ZVERB and ECHOZ and have them return to the mixer in parallel and NOT series, which is more of a pain to control), panning, your headphone preamp, and a number of other useful procedures.

Lastly, you'll see two little 1U modules on the left side on rows 2 and 3...those are KonstantLabs PWRchekrs, which let you have visual feedback of the health of your DC busses while you use the system.

Now, yes, there's a number of things that were removed...and really, I don't think you'll miss them at all. The big key here was to try and "multitask" as many modules as possible. For example, the dual S&H before was just a dual S&H; in this build, the noise source is integral with that and the module has more complex routings internally. And some other things were added, like the hex VCA after the Mob of Emus, which now lets you "strum" through the six different "voices" and then sum this down, either as stereo (with the lefts in 1-3, rights in 4-6) or mono (just use the mono out). There's a lot of that in here now. But this now has a pretty good balance between modulation, control, generation, modification, and utility across both the audio AND mod/control signal paths. And most importantly, there's plenty of that to go around to really make the audio aspects here shine.

Hi Paratek,

Hmm, no info in the manual (of A-118-1) and no information about it on doepfer.de either :-(

Sorry, no idea, perhaps send an E-mail to Doepfer? Please let us know in case you might figure it out, I would be interested in knowing too. Thank you and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Thread: Craters

Hi Molerat99,

This is a very nice track, almost like a soundtrack, on the other hand hearing ambient and new age influences too. I don't mind more tracks like this, especially when they are longer :-)

Thanks a lot for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Bleepadelic,

How nice subtle is this track? Wow! Beautifully done and so good "under control" as I call it. Perhaps I should consider a Subharmonicon? :-)

Thanks a lot for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

Depends...if you put the Mescaline in a typical cab, that would tend to get messy in the way I describe above. But if you put it in a 1 x 126 cab, now...that would actually preserve the "ecology" of the Mescaline while, at the same time, housing it in something less precarious. And yep, it fills that from end to end. If you wanted to do a lot of gigging with the Mescaline, this might be a good solution. However, you would still have the potential of patchcord snarls right over the middle of this.

How I deal with this: the Softpop and bitRanger aren't in any fixed position, so if they need to go somewhere for the sake of patch clarity, that's not a problem. The Mescaline is also not necessarily "fixed", either...but it tends to stay in a position that allows it easy access to the "non-movable" Dupont pin devices, such as the AE and the FHC quad comparator. But they don't need to go "outside" their patching paradigms, since each device also has 3.5mm I/O of some sort, so there's no need to start stringing Dupont wires all over the whole modular "sandbox" station in here.

The other key to this is the sandbox itself. This has 80 1/4" patchpoints in of itself (Furman PB-40s, all non-normalled) which, along with my unkillable Mackie 1202 (1st gen), allow me to centralize the signal routing for this entire subset of gear. Plus, it lets me have a pair of FX processors (Zoom 9120, Korg SDD3300), a quad gate (Symetrix) and my MOTU interface for either audio or CV/gate/trig work right there, all ready to go. And yes, I did implement the inserts on strips 1-4 on the Mackie, where I use some little short patches to handle the duties of the "normalization" link.

Thank you very much!!

You can search on Wiggle Hunt
https://wigglehunt.com/
Wiggle Hunt (Global modular synth gear search)

Looks like Control and Detroit Modular Have them
https://wigglehunt.com/?query=Pamela%27s+New+Workout&condition=&stock_status=in_&price_min=0&price_max=5000¤cy_code=150&sort=price

Thank you very much!!
I definitely added both of them, I knew about the Pamela, but it is a little troublesome to get a new one.
Where can I get a new one in USA online stores?

Thread: Trance Gates

Thanks a lot :)

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

this user has left ModularGrid

For modulation and clocking, two staples that I own and love are Batumi quad LFO and Pamela's New Workout. Both are superb and powerful modules that can do a lot of things.

Sure...
You are right about the wavefolder modules, I will get rip of one of them for sure. I will most probably keep the bifold for the Xfader option, I need it.
Regarding the Ins/Outs, I do need both at the same time; the top one is for getting in external stereo/mono audio, process it and send it back to the external mixer while the bottom one does what it has to do.
And yes, I am thinking in a sampler playback unit, and definitely you are right again, the Morphagene is one of my options, but most probably I will go for a most simple module on that aspect.
I read about the Riot, but I think it is not for me, I can still do random stuff with the same amount of outputs on the SQ-64. And I was thinking in something a little most elaborated for generating a smaller amount of gates in case of need, like Marbles.
You are right with the Black Module, I was thinking the same, you can't use the S&H and LFO at the same time. It is so bad.
But If I decide to go with the FH-2 instead of the most simple Intellijel unit, I will have LFOs from there. And MOE outputs can generate LFOs too.
If you have a nice LFO on mind, let me know.

Edit: I think I better look for a separated S&H module instead of looking for another LFO. ^^

You certainly have lots of good points.
Thank you very much for your thoughts.

Is anyone know what trimpot at the corner of pcb do?

Aesthetics of the Soviet cyberpunk.
Available for direct order via PayPal.
Worldwide shipping.

A few questions...
There are a few things you seem to have more and more of... like wavefolders.. I see two of them. Do you foresee needing two of them? Is there something about each that the other can't duplicate? The same question for the Intellijel "Outs" and "Audio I/O".

If you're concentrating on mangling, some sort of sample playback/mangling module might be nice... like a Morphegine.

You might want to consider something like a Trigger Riot. You'll hear a lot about clock... surely... but having odd rhythmic triggers controlling sequencer steps, etc. are great for strange results.

The Black Modulator is nice. But it doubles up as S&H as well as an LFO. You can keep it. But I would also get a dedicated LFO module that is fully featured with sync, reset, CV etc. You may want to use both S&H and an LFO at once without compromising.

Try the FH2 for clock... certainly. But you may get a little frustrated with the module having to menu dive.

Whoa, intense! Gave me a case confused robot head bobbing (in a good way)
-- Molerat99

Thank you for the feedback :)

I am inspired by birth, death and the events inbetween.

https://youtube.com/@aphewgoodman

Really enjoyed this piece, thanks! Nature footage and the out of focus shots were nice touches
-- Molerat99

It makes me very happy that you enjoyed the track! 🙏🏻 Thank you for the feedback!

Thread: Trance Gates

Really superb piece, makes me want to dance. All the elements really fit together nicely

Really enjoyed this piece, thanks! Nature footage and the out of focus shots were nice touches

Whoa, intense! Gave me a case confused robot head bobbing (in a good way)

Thread: Tiki Bleepy

This has a neat "alien fire drill" kind of thing going on. Very interesting

Really like the sinister mood! I've learned a lot watching those suggested systems vids.

Thread: Craters

Thanks Tumeni and Garfield, I appreciate the kind words! I definitely had a video game level in mind while working on this patch. As for the patch notes Akemie was the only voice from the modular -> Percall (VCA) -> VCF1 filter -> Disting (clockable delay mode B4). The real magic here is the looper pedal which I used to loop some notes from the Crave. I also played the Crave a bit live during recording. Because the loop pedal isn't sync'd to anything its temporal relationship is constantly shifting.

Thanks Lugia!
Yes, the hp factor and the aesthetic factor are certainly things to consider. The Mescaline is truly a beauty and I don’t like parting the modules even in Modulargrid. Still…
If I try my idea the Folktek modules would occupy 132 out of 336 hp and for now I’d be fine with that. If so, I would rack the Mental, Motion and Channel vertically in the 9U case, in their original order. Yes, this takes a lot away from the aesthetics (however I’m curious about if it wouldn’t make it easier patching between Motion and Channel - I think the original angle between them tend to make this quite finicky sometimes). And I may very well find that my idea won’t work at all.
The cable mess though – it’s already a reality to me. I’ve been patching the Mescaline with Ciat-Lonbarde and Lorre Mill gear from the start as well as syncing it with the Subharmonicon (and recently w eurorack) and my hopes and intentions were that having the Folktek modules mounted with the other modules would make the cable spaghetti a bit less messy (shorter patch cables would be required, the Duponts would be kept mostly to the right of the rack etc) … how do you avoid the worst mess with your different standalone units?
Edit: put it like this – mounting them in a rack I can’t see the functionality of the Folktek Mescaline modules being done actual harm, in the way rackmounting some semimodulars actually might take some of their intended possibilities away. Or am I mistaken here?

Synth=Subharmonicon
Rain=Sv-1b
Meris Mercury7 reverb

Thank you very much!!

I more or less understand your concerns and points and I can see clearly the overall is focused in space, lucky for me, this is not a major problem, but I clearly understood the point. I need to say something on this matter, I literally don't have small hands, and it won't be fun play around with smalls nobs and cumbersome 2HP/4HP modules here and there. I had to decide for the small mixers as a way to get some extra space, but I am still thinking on it. But certainly you are right, I need to look for another OSC, I need two VCO for sure, but they can be smaller than the PitsM. I was already thinking about it.

I know the Z8000 is huge and it can't work alone, but I will paired with the Korg SQ-64. And I will definitely look the Hermod module, this is exactly the reason I opened this thread.

And, yes, I need to think more about the clocking system, but overall the SQ-64 will take care of everything externally, I didn't mean to build a stand-alone rack, I will use my external gear with it. The SQ-64 can handle almost everything regarding sequencing, quantizing, clocking, even step gating/clocking the Z8000 Clock inputs. But, you are certainly right, I need to think more on this.

About Clock system modules, what could be my best option, taking in consideration I can generate divider/multiplier clocks from the Expert Sleepers FH-2 module when needed too. I was thinking in something like the 4ms QDC, but it takes 22HP with its expander.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Edit: I expanded the rack to 416HP, to show the two Mantis is a fact.

Lots of audio...but very little in the way of control or modulation. That's a huge stumbling block, as you NEED the control and mod modules in order to get the audio stuff to do what you want. If I were you, I'd go back and delete this, then majorly rethink the bottom row so that you finally do have the right mod/control complement.

Another point, also...the Z8000 and the Pitt Double Helix are hella huge. Taken together, they occupy 56 hp of the total 208, which is close to 1/4th of the entire build. I noticed that you don't have a problem with a second Mantis...which is good, because if you insist on using these, you're going to NEED that second cab. It's not just that they take up 56 hp, either...you also have to factor in ancillary modules for these. The Z8000, for example, has no quantizer onboard...so there's an extra module. Then you'll want some way to make the clocking more elaborate, which lets the Z8000 really get into complex behavior, especially with some Boolean logic onhand. So...yet more modules. Etc.

Instead of the "Buy another Mantis" option here, try and come up with ways to replicate the behavior you want in the build...but smaller, and with more onboard features. For example, the Squarp Hermod is only two hp smaller than the Z8000...but at the same time, the Hermod has EIGHT channels, MIDI interfacing, quantizing, and so on, which eliminates the space requirement for those ancillary modules.

One other point, also...don't assume that you're going to build a separate effects build, because you'll invariably find that you'll want the use of some of the "main" build's modules. It would make more sense to build up a single, unitized system that contains all of these features and then you can have numerous interrelated patches running FX and sound generation, sometimes even in sync with each other.

That would be me. And I wouldn't do this. For one thing, the observation about the module sizes is very significant...each one is 42 hp, and if you have a 2 x 84 cab, you'll fill 3/4ths of it with the Mescaline. I keep mine in the original stand/rack that Folktek came up with...partly because of the space issue, and partly because the Mescaline was intended as a stand-alone in the first place. And I also use mine with other devices, such as a 160 (soon to be 180) space AE system, a quartet of window comparators from FHC, and a couple of Bastl devices, the Softpop and bitRanger.

If I were to move this to a "proper" Eurorack cab, the interfacing would immediately become an issue. Consider: you would not only have the Dupont pinwires for patching the Mescaline, but some standard 3.5mm cables as well for the Eurorack implementation. This would get messy really quickly, to say nothing of being problematic for the Dupont connections as they tend to come loose far easier than Eurorack TS cables.

Besides, Arius Blaze DID intend these to also have an aesthetic component. Given that, my Mescaline is staying in its rack, where it looks cool and cryptic and mysterious.

Sure...have you had a look at ALM's Akemie's Castle? Also 4-op FM, but it has a much better panel layout that explains what's going on.

Also, there's a few decent librarian/editors for the old Yamaha devices. One of the better ones, which is also FREE (100% open source) is Ctrlr...have a look at what they offer at https://ctrlr.org/ Ctrlr's panels allow you to dive into the "guts" of numerous synths, and then to control those via the DAW or via Ctrlr's panels themselves. Since many of the older rack synths are sort of out of vogue right now, they're relatively easy to snag. Plus, Ctrlr has panels for synths that otherwise would be a total annoyance to use, such as the Roland JV1010. And, if you're used to some basic coding, you can whip up your OWN panel in it, with the aid of various SYSEX tables for the synths. No, it's not as comprehensive as a paid package like MIDI Quest, but it can hold its own with the more common instruments and processors out there.

Aha...remembered another one: SYNTHETIC MUSIC SYSTEMS, from the UK, started about 2001. These guys made patchables...but these patchables were assembled in sort of a modular method to build up a sizable system, all 100% rackmountable. I thought this was actually pretty snazzy some years back, but they also went in a different direction to what was coming down the pike at the time, and that probably contributed to their disappearance. Here's a site that looks back at 'em: https://www.cykong.com/Synths/SMS%20MARS+BOB/SMS-MARS+BOB.htm

Hi Molerat99,

That sounds almost like a soundtrack to me with some great ambient influence. Together with the video, I think you got a nice video jam here! For which movie was this soundtrack again? ;-)

Nicely done and I look forward in hearing & seeing more from you. Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Wishbonebrewery,

Pity of the Roland SH-01, on the other hand interesting that you are getting soon a Mimeophon. Please let us know your experience with that one and hopefully a nice jam with it as well? :-)

I am still hesitating about the Mimeophon however perhaps with a jam from you demoing the Mimeophon, I am perhaps able to confirm I want one :-) Kind regards, Garfield.

Thread: Black Panels

A massive list of Black Eurorack Panels available @ www.audioparasites.com