If you switch the old version of Veils for the new version, you'll save 2hp... and then you could replace the ENVF with a 4hp envelope follower like Mutable's Ears.

Couple of things.

Quadra is discontinued... unless you're looking for a used Quadra, Quadrax is the new version (tons of added functionality, too).

Turing Machine is terrific... but Mutable Instruments' Marbles is essentially an expanded Turing Machine with added functionality. It's really terrific, and I'd suggest using it instead of the TM and expanders.

You don't have a filter in either version... that seems like a serious omission, especially given your oscillator choice.

this user has left ModularGrid

Thanks also curious what Lugia, Garfield, and Jim think for complex analog oscillator goodness. There are soo many choices. @farkas- yes a good LPG is perfect for it as well as good filter and support tools. I have a matrix mixer, another sequential switch and logic module as well as attenuator/mult on wish list to pair up as well. In my two modular systems, I use these support modules a lot with complex patches. Aiming for classic 80s-90s dance house techno industrial sounds like what Ministry, Depeche Mode and others did even though they used mostly Roland and Moog stuff.

@kevin0 perfect sale, would deal again!

This thread has helped me immensely! Providing an update here in case someone like me is looking for advice in the future and can see where I started and where I’m winding up…

It’s pretty clear I didn’t have a solid enough understanding of the basics/fundamentals — I found this tutorial which I found to be the best explanation the basics I’d seen:

With that under my belt I dove into VCV as suggested, as well as an iOS app called “miRack” to try some ideas out and see what I actually needed to get the kinds of results I’m interested in. This was super eye opening, and gave me a hands on understanding of the suggestions that I needed way less randomness and logic, and more sound shaping and control. This has led me to the following revision as my ideal starter kit:

ModularGrid Rack

And then my “day 1 / minimum viable rack” which is where I’ll start my purchases:

ModularGrid Rack

Feeling pretty good about where things are are, but more than open to any further suggestions!

I went with the Furthrrr Generator and couldn't be happier. I pair it with an Optomix LPG fairly often, but I'm thinking about adding a QPAS soon. I like the DPO as well.

If it is very close you could also stack some washers between your rails and the module to give that hairs difference, but make sure you have some long screws if you want washers on the front. Haha

My issues with the NerdSeq largely stem from my philosophy around modular. I prefer to treat my patches less as realization of a cohesive musical idea, but rather a meditative exploration that may or may not grow into something more. I hold on to the NerdSeq in hopes firmware updates, expanders, and creative patching solutions will offer new promise, but I do seriously wonder if I'd be happier with a Metron and a couple Volteras.
-- epsteinframe

I feel exactly the same. It is one of the most comprehensive modules out there. Continued updates have made it to the point it could work stand alone.

That being said, I continue to feel some issue with the philosophy. The interface and act of programming take a little getting used to having never used a tracker, but at this point, it feels incredibly natural and programming on the fly is where I have the most fun. I would highly recommend reading the manual to get and idea for what is capable of and if that's desirable to you.

I am curious if anyone has experimented with the any FSR tile as a way to record CV and Gate patterns.

Make noise DPO + Rossum Linnaeus

As I wait for my new Doepfer monster base case to arrive, I am looking at a new complex analog oscillator to spice up my setups. Considering Instruo CS-l, Verbos Complex Oscillator, Frap Tools Brenso, Endorphin.es Furthrr and Rossum Trident. Also looking for a good filter to complement them. Thoughts? I plan to pair it with Hertz Donut that I want for FM stuff. Add in some drums and I am golden.

Your Portland jam sounds great. I feel like I'm at Berghain. :)
Looks like you have a fairly versatile techno set-up here.
Have fun and good luck!

Hi all,

I wanted to share that i've recently added in a Happy Nerding FX AID and it does a really great job for built in effects.
I have been working on some jams recently as i'm still teaching myself how to play a modular live.
it is an awesome fun. :)

You can check out my latest jam here:

And, I took the case on a trek to Portland and did some jamming while under quarantine in my hotel room.
You can check out that set of jams/random parts here:

Any thoughts and feedback on the jam are appreciated as i'm still learning how to get a reasonable dance sound going. :)

Notes on the setup:
1) All sounds from the Portland sessions were recorded directly from the case.
2) The kick drum is a sample from the 2hp play (i'll put in my own samples soon, but just stated with they had to get it going)
3) My primary voice in the Manis running through the C4BON filter and using the bublesound hex system for VcA control.
The notes are sequenced from the Circles and the notes are coming from the o_C via the Enigma Jr.
4) The drone and background texture is from the Godspeed going into the Squak Dirty and then into the Clouds module.
5) it is put through my mixer and then pulled back through the Compressor where i've used the kick as a side chain setup.
6) then out to either my portable recording device (in the case of going to Portland) or, to my computer if i'm here at home.

Nice, what I was trying, and probably failing, to say was...

by trying to do these things you come across stumbling blocks, this does two things:

1) it lets you know what is missing in your system and what to go for next

2) as you have shown very nicely, it makes you think about how you could achieve something similar without the correct tools

2, imho, is a significant portion of what modular is all about for me, it's about thinking laterally and trying things you would not normally do with a classic synth architecture.

I have just built 2 Entropy to sell!! I know you probably want to do this yourself, but if you are interested and in the UK or EU, it would help me out to have a sale - of course absolutely no trouble if not :)

Good choice by the way, I really rate the Zlob stuff!!

Hi all! I want to suggest 2 new features, dunno id this is the right place...

1) a "new module" alert: when someone upload a new module, you'll receive an alert
2) random module page: a click button in the modules page, in order to let us read about a random module
3) Black panels only option, in the filter checkbox

Hi every one,

This is my first step in modular.
So first of all, thank you for adimitting me in the community. And excuse my approximative English :)

Modular is not the center piece of my setup.
I use an hardware drum machine (TR8S) and a couple of analog synths.
Some of them are semi-modular or modular-compatible (Pro-1 / Circuit Mono Station )
I also have a beatstep pro.
I'm mainly making techno and electro, inspired by Detroit and Berlin based productions.
I also love Surgeon, that is one of my favourite artists.

I just bought the Arturia Rackbrute 3U / 88HP
I would like to add some percussive, evolutive random patterns to my music, as well as ambient pads or drones with a bunch of effects for intros and transitions.
Here are the modules I'm sure for the moment.
I've chosen the SY 0.5 cause he makes exactly the sounds I'm looking for, percussives but pitchables untill you can play notes with. Can adjust the enveloppes too.
Pam's would sequence and control the sounds using beatstep pro clock (I also like the varigate 4+, but he has less functions)
I already have pico DSP for fx and disting MK4. I could change the dsp later for a Erica Synths dual fx or other.
I know that I need VCA's, a filter, Utility, maybe distortion, another voice module (I like Piston Honda sounds) and so on.
But I don't know what could be the more valuables module for the little amount of available space in the rack.

So, knowing this I would be glad to have your modules suggestions ! ;)

Thanks a lot, Cédric

Cinnamon is a definite recommendation, small footprint for a SVF with built-in distortion and input-related cutoff frequency modulation. I couldn't get my hands on the DIY kit since they were out of stock for months so I invested some of the lock-down time to build my own replica based on their schematics. In addition to that it uses the same IC as the Xone Filters in the A&H Xone 42/92 series. Maybe I'm biased because of that ^^ It's a quite straightforward design if you have some experience with filters.

I think this thread here is a good space for people that want to get into Modular and DIY with Befaco, so I will and some more examples what this thing sounds and feels like.

A Krell patch is not really feasible as of now, without filter and good random source. But this here was at least Krell inspired, main focus: Having really slow clock times for the Muxlicer and sampling from random positions in the sequence:

Now that I built most of this Rack from Kit's I have these on my watch list:
Zlob Entropy: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/zlob-entropy2
Bastl Cinnamon: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/bastl-instruments-cinnamon-aluminum-panel

ENVF is difficult to find here in Europe. Recovery two hp from new Veil is there a valid replacement for ENVF?

Edit: maybe the official store is European...

I wanted an Arp 2600 until the shortage and high prices drove me instead to just build my own modular setup. I tried an MS20 and cheaper ARP 2600 and was not impressed. Much prefer my own modular build now.

I may swap out the WMD mixer for the smaller more affordable Befaco Hexmixer. I did make sure to add plenty of support modules and touch controllers and matrix mixer and logic modules. Once I fill this case, I will stack my two 6U cases on it and then save for an MDLR 12-14u portable case. or buy another monster base and two 9U cases.

Oh yes!

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Here is what I have planned (subject to change of course):

ModularGrid Rack

Then put a 12u monster case on top and never worry for long time about space needs. Then I would be well on my way to a wall of the Starship Enterprise command room of modular bliss. Buchla and Serge would be nice to add on day maybe a Volstock pin matrix modular system and Make Noise Shared System plus.

Hi Sacguy71,

Yeah, that sounds like a big monster of a sequencer setup :-) I can't wait for your video! :-D

Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Garfield,

Yes, I pre-ordered Doepfer monster base case:
http://www.doepfer.de/A100_pictures/A-100PMB_front.jpg

I do have a new WMD Metron sequencer on order. Once it ships, I plan to get 2-3 Voltera extenders for CV control since each has 4 CV controls and 1-2 Axxent modules. I also want the Arpitect chord arpeggio module. Since I have 3 percussion modules and plan to get several more, this makes the best sense for my needs.

Hi Sacguy71,

Oh yes! Finally you ordered your monster case and did you made a choice in the sequencer matter :-) Quite curious how you will experience the Metron. Did you already order the Voltera (how many) and Axxent extender modules? I can't wait for your review video :-)

Kind regards, Garfield.

I was literally just working on a patch like that @lugia before I saw your comment, great tip and definitely opens up some interesting possibilities.

the-erc's got it, yep. By having a quantizer at the ready, there's a lot of interesting things you can do, such as scale constraint, deriving arpeggi from LFO curves, making more use of the Stages as a sequencer, and the like. It also functions as a useful on-the-fly transposition tool via its BIAS control. And, with a quantizer on hand, there's some glitchy things that becomes doable, sort of along the lines of using the MS-20's input section. By using the quantizer to "mistrack" incoming audio, and then also employing the Plankton ENVF to mess with the VCF in conjunction with that, this has loads of potential for Aphex-ish percussive glitching. Most people tend to associate quantizing with sequencers, but the fact is that they've got tons of abuse potential beyond that.

There's another twisted thing about those two modules: you can send the envelope gen's outputted CVs to the quantizer AND somewhere else...but one of those ENVF outputs is inverted, so this opens up another stage of glitching that the MS-20 cannot do. For example, you can have the quantizer deriving CVs from the inverted envelope, but FM the complex VCO via its modulation oscillator in the OPPOSITE direction. Pitch goes down as chaotic racket increases, and so on. And of course, if there's a sequencer in a future upgrade, the OP's set already.

what is the use case for the 2hp tune? I'm not conviced of it's usefulness - Pams does quantized doesn't it?

Pam can quantise its outputs but it can't quantise external signals. (Unless they improved the firmware AGAIN while I wasn't looking.) Since it is an LFO at heart and not a sequencer this is a bit melodically limiting. I'm thinking of getting a 2hp Tune just to release my Disting for other duties! Although the Disting has many variations on the theme of quantisation, which Tune cannot do. Sad.

Thanks Garfield,

Actually I pulled the trigger so to speak and ordered a new WMD Metron sequencer and Doepfer monster base case! I need more of a trigger sequencer anyways for drums and bass lines. I will probably consider either the 512 Vector or some other melodic sequencer in the future to complement the drum bass sequencer. The cool thing about Metron are the expanders to use for cv and drum accents with Voltera and Axxent plus get Arpitecht for chord arpeggios similar to what Sinfonion does for way less cost and smaller size. I will post a video review once both arrive. Since I have a few percussion modules, it was important to use versus Korg SQ-1 and Varigate 4+ which are not ideal for complex trigger gate sequencing duties in rack.

Do you say that the 2hp tune can also be done by PAM and therefore you can pass the stages from there?
But then this could limit the use of PAM for other feats with quantized Stages?
Jim is right, the new Veil is large 10 hp instead of 12hp. Instead of two 2hp could be re-added Links that permitted more functions?

what is the use case for the 2hp tune? I'm not conviced of it's usefulness - Pams does quantized doesn't it?
and re Veils grab the new one for an extra 2hp

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Fantastic so dreamy could be an entire ambience type album. Would be nice to see you patch this live for us n00bs to modular.

A fellow banana plug junky I chat with is picking up one of the Korgs. Way too rich for my blood, so I'm very interested in the Behringer too.

Inscrumental music for prickly pears.

Thank you very much at all, so instead of Links, Kinks and Mixup I save space with mix and tune of 2hp and Roti Pola and still keep minimal effects with Stasis Link and Modbox.
Nice. Very clear also the organization of modules in rack.

I'd look at the mi branches code - should have almost everything you need there

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

@humanstrobe good trader, would deal with again!

I can certainly think of a few good and rare old ones. Harvestman Double Andore 1 and Hertz Donut 1 are absolutely fantastic modules that are difficult to get a hold of nowadays. The Livewire AFG was a staple module when I got started in 2010 as well as the Toppobrillo Sport Modulator, both now obscure and hard to find. Of course the elusive QMMG. :-)

On the topic of what 'modern' modules are becoming rare, I figure the Sputnik modules will all essentially be hard to find in the future. They are all very good, and as far as I know all production has seized. Maybe the Roland Demora/Scooper et al are candidates too?

Hiya! I'm in the process of making my first own module. I think using the Atmega 328PU is a common and popular way of making fairly complex task without having to design complex analog circuits. Examples such as the original ALM Pamela, 4ms PEG, Mutable Instruments Grids, Bastl Kompas etc really show this potential.

Now, are there any common tips when designing such machines? Is there a common rule for all arduino projects? What are some pitfalls that you got into when sketching?

I am building a trigger sequencer for the 1u row. Using trigger inputs it will read from a buffer and decide wether or not to output a trigger.

Thankful for absolutely any tips. :-)

Thread: 1st R0deo

Both Intellijel and Mutable Instruments make superb gear! I love my Mutable Instruments Kinks+Links combo for logic and support mixing tools and mults and Plaits is a wonderful macro-oscillator capable of many different synthesis models and can crank out percussion to strings and more. I really like my Intellijel Quadrax module and Plonk is fun as well. I have the Intellijel Quad VCA and mixup are soo useful tools. You really cannot go wrong with these modular companies.

sacguy's version above is excellent... much more functional, and fun as well.

Intellijel and Mutable both make tremendous modules... hard to go wrong with either of them.

OK...I had a go at restructuring this:
ModularGrid Rack
All of the previous modules are still in there. But the additions are all designed to work with other modules as "units".

For starters, I put a 2 hp quantizer right by the Complex VCO. This will let you use the sequencing function of the Stages with actual pitch data being outputted to the VCO. And I added a 2 hp mixer after the VCO to let you sum different waveforms, adding some more timbral complexity beyond what the Verbos VCO does.

Belgrad, then Veils...two of the Veils VCAs can then easily be used for VCO-VCF levels and for the level off of the VCF to the Frequency Central Stasis Leak. That, I chose because it allows you to send in a mono signal, but get stereo chorusing, reverb, or tap delay. This then makes full use of the stereo output capability. The ENVF is next to this, right by the audio input. This rework also puts ALL of the audio path on the top row for an easier signal flow, moving the modulation, etc down so that these signals "patch upward" to the audio modules above.

Bottom: Pam's, Plog, then there's a dual LFO with a LOT of additional functions, notably sample & hold, noise, and 120 degree phase shift for the LFO outputs so that synced-but-rephased modulation can be done with this. Maths, the dual VCA, then I moved the Qx to the left of the Quadrax so that it's a little easier to "abuse" it and the Maths in tandem by crossrouting start and end (and likely many other) signals between these two. Then a Roti Pola, which is there to screw really hard with four channels of that Ochd octal LFO, by combining, attenuating, repolarizing those signals (and others, potentially) into complex LFO curves for elaborate modulations while still leaving four more outputs free for elsewhere.

Lastly, I rehoused the whole thing in a Doepfer A-100 case, since you'd mentioned that above as being where this should all end up. This still has all of the original modules, therefore...but NOW, all of the support modules are amply present that rip the lid off of them, and bring the whole build up to speed. In fact, note that my additions all have to do with the functionality of OTHER modules...this is how you've got to think when building modular rigs. You WANT complex interoperability and functionality to be present, if you need it...but at the same time, the build needs to be straightforward and performable. I think this nails both.

Thanks a lot for the heads-up, I want to wait to get a larger case since I already purchased one.
I've been looking at the Pamela's New Workout and like what I have read about it and the FX Aid too, small form factor for the reverb is a plus.
I want this rig to be more of a side piece to my semi modular gear, incorporate as I see fit to my ambient/ downtempo style.

What is your opinion the mutable instrument & intellijel gear?

Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated sacguy71,

R/

Orium

Hi Mowse,

Wow, that's beautifully done. I don't know how you do it, taming that Telharmonic so nicely?!

I got myself a Telharmonic, I like the beast but taming it? No Sir, I am not able to do that at all however you seem to have made an art out of taming the Telharmonic :-)

Too high sounds? It didn't bother me. I do love high sounds so I didn't mind at all and actually really enjoyed the high tones in your track.

It sounds actually as a beautiful drone... having said that... drone? 17 minutes? ;-) I wouldn't mind if your track had been 17 minutes or more, it would have been a pleasure listening at it.

Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Sacguy71,

I still love to see you play with your system :-)

Ha, ha, at 5:00+ minutes you are taking that patch cable as if to say: "Here, this is all about patching and watch this!" :-) Most probably not intended, you just took a patch cable, however I felt it was a quite fun-moment :-)

Somewhere around the 6:00+ you are using a sound there that reminds me a slightly bit of one of those frogs out from my pond in my backyard for sampling interesting sounds ;-)

That voice I heard around 7:00+ is that from your Plaits module?

Thanks a lot for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

Yes 100% fun support from me too... modular bleeps and bloops and I love your attitude and approach - spot on!!

Right now you have enough to spend some serious time learning... stick with what you have right now and experiment.

Try some tutorials on how to create classic modular patches, I didn't look too closely, but you probably have enough to create a Krell patch - this should be your next video - hint hint ;)

I very rarely shout anyone out for their entry into the world of modular, but you really made me smile :)

Hi Zuggamasta,

He, he, looks like you are enjoying modular synthesizers and the nice thing of all, you made it all by yourself :-)

I noticed you got a Teenage Engineering module too, how is that one, do you like it?

Keep up the good work and thank you very much for sharing this. Kind regards, Garfield.

Yes, I would get a much larger case to start with, perhaps a 9U Doepfer case? You also need more support modules: VCAs, attenuator, matrix mixer, and modulation sources like LFO and function generator. Also, I would get rid of the Rainmaker module way too large for a smaller setup. Replace it with something smaller like Erica Synths Pico DSP or Happy Nerding FX Aid.

Here is a suggestion on your build above to improve it:

ModularGrid Rack

I removed the massive Rainmaker and replaced it with Happy Nerding FX Aid unless you plan on larger case.
-Added LFO with 0chd
-Added function generator- Make Noise Function
-Added VCA- Tangle Quarter is great
-Pamela New Workout: great clock that gives you many other things like logic, Euclidian sequencer, and much more
- passive attenuator

Hello Internet,

Today I got my first module, the Instruo Arbhar. I started to add some modules that I would like to get next, does this community have any thoughts on this setup.

Also, what are some of the best starters.

Thanks,

Orium

Hey you two :)

The DIY modules where all fun and games, but the Muxlicer was annoying as hell: first a missing part, then a burned in switch due to overheated joints and now I noticed one LED did not sit perfect while soldering...

But it is working a at last. there is still so much to do and learn with this setup but I thought it would be nice to document what I was able to quickly come up with today. And after some tests before hand a Patch that is not controlled by midi this time!

I read a bit into the syncing of the pocket operators again and found the befaco outputs cue really useful to attenuvert the signal. And having a clock divider inside of the Muxlicer is great for converting the clock.

Onto more musical patches! And thank you for your kind words!