Thank you Pmwmartens and wishbonebrewery for your ideas and suggestions, really helpful. I know that it will be difficult to stop when I complete 84hp, but even if I start a new case separately, I would always like to have this setup as a complete, flexible and self-sufficient piece in many cases, embedded in my desktop. This is why I would like to make good choices with the modules that occupy this rack.

It is true that I have many options for trigger, gate and modulation. I could always use one of the 3 Disting like Envelope-VCA for example, but maybe it would be smart to save room for a quad vca maybe?

I think if I have to replace something I would remove Marbles. I already have it and I really love playing with it, but I think the combination of Palms with uO_C could be more precise, flexible and usable in my case, although I have never tried them. What do you think?

Any piece of advice will be super appreciated.

Hi,
i have 3 pieces of Meanwell RT65B in my rack and i am quiet happy with it.
the specs are

+12V 2,8A  
-12V 0,5A  
 +5V 5,0A

which is a bit poor on the -12V line.
now i am planning to build a bigger case 197HP x 18U where each of the 6 rows gets one RT65B
I do have a module (WMD Performance Mixer) which is very hungry (430mA) on the -12V line. so i do not have enough headroom for other modules within this row.
it would be possible to add a 2nd RT65B to this row for having one power supply per bus board. but even that is not enough headroom on the bus board the WMD mixer is connected to.

So my question:
is it possible to interconnect all busboards which have a separate power supply?
so my result is 6 pieces of RT65B all connected together in parallel on the secondary lines (-12V, +12V, +5V, GND) for extendig the headroom for all 3 voltages over the entire rack.
As far as i know the voltage won't change as long as it is connected parallel.
thanks for any advice!

I love the extensive CV modulation capabilities! And this slim module is such a rack space saver! *slow clap

Hey moderators, someone added a weird custom panel yesterday and it's being treated as the default HEAD panel. please change this to the actual panel design from ALM. Thanks.

You have lots of Trigger, gate and modulation control there.

For your next 84hp, Ya'no before you up-scale to 104hp and 2 rows ;-)

Some good old fashioned VCA's or simple passive attenuators would be good, add a filter module that will react to Pinging as pings and sweeps are good. VCA-wise you could grab something like a https://www.modulargrid.net/e/future-sound-systems-p-o-c-a-vac1 as it's passive so draws no power and will give you CV-able VCA's.

Grab an Error Instruments Indian Resonator, its got a whole swathe of ambient clicky warbling goodness in it, a great design element.

Make Noise Mimeophon is lots of fun, hopefully one of my next purchases will be a Morphagene, though also tempted by the 2HP Loop.

I thought 84hp would be all I ever needed hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa Enjoy the ride.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

I think you would like to have a double stereo mixer (rings and beads) and a line out. It is a lot easier to mix hands on in the case while performing instead of an external mixer. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ladik-a-312
Also I would certainly keep Plaits, and add a small filter and distortion like https://www.modulargrid.net/e/noise-engineering-viol-ruina-silver-w-knobs

Thank you very much for your reply, Ginger89. It is true that there is a lot of multifunction there but, since I have little space, I prefer to have access to a variety of tools for different scenarios, even if it is not as fast and intuitive as it is with specific modules. It's not really a problem.

You are right in what you mention about Plaits, but it seems to me a very good module in what it does and also versatile, and at the moment (from my beginner's perspective) it is difficult to imagine the setup without this piece. Besides, I would love to consider Stages, but it is bigger than Plaits...

Thank you so much again!

Hey hey. This already looks quite good from a functional point of view. I think all the main aspects should be covered. What I thought was that this is a setup which really involved a lot of menu diving. Half of your modules have soo many functions and menus that it will not be a rack which is intuitive and quick to use and you will spend a lot of time searching in submenus. If you can life with this it is fine. If not I would think of maybe kicking out plaits since soundwise most of the sounds are included in the modes of beads and rings and some of the modules with screens and add a function generator (stages is highly recommended from my side).
Cheers

Bought a Soma Lyra8-FX from @yochwired - highly recommended seller. Very fast replies and shipment, module in perfect condition.

Hello. I am a film composer and I'm designing a small and versatile setup, but I would need some help because I am pretty new at this. I have 84hp in total and I don't want to add more at the moment, because it's a rack attached to the desk in my studio and I love having it there. My intention is to experiment with doing a bit of everything, especially ambient and generative, but in most cases, I am going to use it as one instrument more for my productions, together with my Arturia Keystep 37. I have an external mixer to route my modules there and it goes in stereo to my audio interface. Sometimes it will be the heart of a piece and other I will just make some ambient drones or textures as one more layer or for sound design.

ModularGrid Rack

Could you please tell me if I'm missing something essential? Could you suggest any changes? I think I might be forgetting some nice pieces perfect for what I want.

Thank you very much in advance!

That's not what I'm looking for indeed, thanks for the tip though

this user has left ModularGrid

It's more of a space thing. As I said I have to travel, and every little thing in the bag takes space, so I'm looking for a solution that wouldn't take too much space in the bag.

Wow thanks for the link, it's gonna save me quite some time !
How about using power splitters, such as this ?
https://www.megateh.eu/products/power-supply/power-splitter-1-to-4

Hi all,
I'm a newcomer in the Eurorack realm, and the proud owner of a Moog studio.
I love the Moog boat case. As a traveller, I find its size format really convenient, and also pretty.
So, I would like to extend my setup exclusively with it.
Here's the idea:
I would like to get 3 empty boats with Boat Rocker PSUs, and add some modules.
Each of the boats would be mission specific (drums, effects, mix/master, utilities....).
On top of that I would mount these on a custom stand.
The concept here would be to easily interchange/ detach each boat unit, in case I'm travelling. I could also extend my setup progressively this way. The result would kind of look like a modular-modular case ^^
What do you think about this idea ? Is it good or bad ?
Also, what about powering ? Is there a way to not have to plug each of them separately?
Happy to know your thoughts about it.

I got it working, the sysex from the novation with the erica sequencer midi going thru it will only work if the tx81z is set to receive on midi ch1, doesn't seem to work with any other channel.

Thread: ##DR.180

can the cosmix be chained? does everyone see these meesages or just the owner of the rack?

can't someone help? how to get rid of the cat?

only have modules inside the rack...

and search doesn't return anything for Behringer??
-- ZenMusic

consider yourself lucky? or try looking under manufacturer...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

can't someone help? how to get rid of the cat? and search doesn't return anything for Behringer??

Well, I would first check the incoming data with programs like MIDI Monitor (Mac OS) or MidiOX (Windows). :)

I too "purchased" a module to @grooveserfer.

Communication went fast until payment.

more than 4 weeks later, no news, I contacted him several times and did not hear back.

I still believe the module will actually arrive.

at this moment it seems that we are two users scammed

@grooveserfer we know you have been connected here as you've modified your rack yesterday, just in case of misunderstood we are giving you the opportunity of explain something, I sent you a message here and by mailing twice, the other guy has contacted with you too and is waiting for an answer

Absolutely fantastic. Incredibly low-noise, gorgeous (reversible!) front-panel with a black side and a black/gold side, and daisy-chainable so you can add more channels later. Plus, the knobs are amazingly stiff and satisfying, probably the best knobs in my system.

Hi, I've tried running the midi out from erica black sequencer to a yamaha tx81z which works fine, I recently got a novation zero sl mkii to control the tx81z via sysex, the midi signal is getting to the tx via the novation fine but the sysex won't work, this setup works great if the midi is coming form my daw, is the midi differnet? I assumed the sysex was coming from the novation so it wouldn't matter where the midi was coming from but it obviously does, any ideas??

It seems I've been scammed by the user @grooveserfer, I bought him a trigger expander for the nerdseq, emailing and messages here were fluent until I paid him, he sent me an email with a strange tracking which I clicked and send me to a blank webpage, later that mail appeared totally blank with some Asian characters

I've tried to contact him here and by mail with no answer, I've wait two weeks until posting here, so It seems I've been wasted as I made him a bank tranfer so Im posting here to aware people about this user, he seems to be based in Italy, name Alexander

A 4 voice cluster from ADDAC Systems.
A little sad because it had all the surface mount components installed already so no surface mount soldering today. Makes the build quicker also.
Interesting sounding unit. Because it doesn’t take Note CV, I think it’s best as a drone/background unit, but triggering voices from a keyboard, sequencer, or LFO make it pretty dynamic.
A good unit.

Build

XOR Nerd sequencing the modular and a few polys. Live to multitrack with minimal post eq and compression.

Totally dig it! Great Moogy deliciousness and I love all the different bits transformed and blended in over time. Thanks for sharing. Cheers!

Yes, this whole series is great listening. I get the “etudes” concept and these do work well in it, but I agree with Garfield that these could definitely (also) be longer. :-) Thanks for sharing. Cheers!

That’s a lovely bit of modular ambient goodness right there. Love the variety of sounds and how they all flow. Thanks for sharing. Cheers!

My first case was a 84HP in a 19"-rack as well. It didn't take long to fill it, as was to be expected, but we all have to go down this road as it seems ...
I built my second case (6U 104HP) out of beech wood and bought rails separatedly. I use a TipTop uZeus as power supply. I had a lot of fun building the case, it was not difficult at all and came out significantly cheaper (and nicer ...) as the Mantis. We all know modular is not cheap, but the prices for the cases are far beyond reasonable IMHO.

since the CV bus case is now showing up again, figured i'd through a few more brain cells at it.

Hello
I propose you to take a short tour of Case From Lake where Alberto designs beautiful Eurorack cases quite customizable, from the size through the number of units, the place of the 1U rail, the choice of power supply, the material, the color, in short, the tavern of Ali Baba of the modularists. Thanks to him for his kindness and his wonderful cases! happy viewing!

My two cents... Respecting all opinions, I do buy & use Behringer products [modules, semi-modulars, microphones, etc]...even on stage with "Hans Zimmer live", etc... I use them because THEY SOUND GOOD & THEY WORK FOR ME... to each their own. Blessings to all!!

Wow, thanks for that vid VOW3LLtheVAMPIRE. Wasn't really planning to buy any more Behringer stuff, but now I definitely won't be.

Thread: first patch

If you are really a noob and this is the first track, then it is very high quality. If my first tracks were like this, I would feel more confident.

I don't have Behringer modules. But I'm sure nothing will change because of their reputation.

Big and chunky. Also, not sure how authentic their clone is.

Also, this company is ethically questionable. e.g. suing Dave Smith Instruments, file for Oberheim trademark etc.

Amateur Waveshaper

Interesting design.

I have a triple sloths and really enjoy it. I've also heard of people using one of the outputs from triple sloths as cv in for ochd which would be really nice.

Have you thought about diy? Makes triple sloths very adorable (get PCB and B stock panel).

Soldering was easier than I thought it would be 🙂
-- aevai

im not really into DIY as i havent soldered anything in 30 years,just wondering if having the tripple sloths in my rack would be usefull,if there is any other suggestions what i might need that would be nice,i use a beatstep pro to sequence atm

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

It's not necessarily that people don't like behringer modules... it's more often that people just don't like behringer... they have had a bad reputation for making poor quality rip off products since they started... that combined with the general attitude of Uli don't really win supporters...

not all their products over the years have been poor quality, but the ones that aren't have historically been the minority... too many bad apples...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I started with a M32, DFAM, and Subharmonicon as well!

Definitely agree with what others have already said about keeping them out of your eurorack while starting out.

I have mine in a three tier Moog rack. I bought some 84hp rails and tiptop zeus power supply and made a 9u x 84hp rack to sit beside the Moog one. I could use the Moog rack as a bit of a te plate to cut the sides of the diy rack. They look good together 🙂

Otherwise 4ms pods or powered cases by ALM could be a nice choice.

Would also recommend checking for any second hand cases on modular buy/sell groups.

I have a triple sloths and really enjoy it. I've also heard of people using one of the outputs from triple sloths as cv in for ochd which would be really nice.

Have you thought about diy? Makes triple sloths very adorable (get PCB and B stock panel).

Soldering was easier than I thought it would be 🙂

Thread: First voice

Hello!

I'm just rounding out my first rack (a 104HP skiff), and I need to choose my voice. I'm debating between a flexible traditional voice (my choice being the Erica Synths Wavetable VCO, or a small-form Plaits if I can find it), and the BIA. I've seen people do amazing things with the Basimilus, but I'm not sure which to go for.

I anticipate ending up with both eventually, so it's a matter of which would be a better learning experience and let me make fuller sounds.

I'm going for upbeat EDM sorts of things here.

Thanks!

Thanks man!

c'mon dude, post the link to your public rack, not just a shitty jpg!!!
-- JimHowell1970

Done:)

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

I barely can have an opinion because I have no Behringer modules. But I'm pretty sure it will stay that way. Their reputation for announcing copies of old synths that they deliver a decade late doesn't help. But for me, it's like discussing McDo when you have plenty of good restaurants in the neighbourhood that aren't part of a huge chain. Or Coca vs Pepsi when you have a few microbrews and even some vineyards around. It's so bog standard there's just not much to say. There are other manufacturers who make many very standard modules (Doepfer or Ladik comes to mind) or copies (After Later, for example) that don't make a big fuss about it and announce when they can ship. Much more interesting to discuss modules when you actually can get one to see how it does what it doesb

Modular playlist on SoundCloud