I think it's a combination of quality issues and distaste with some of their business practices. I don't really have a dog in the fight (aside from just generally not liking large corporations), as I'm not really up on their history and far from an expert on all the issues involved. I started my modular journey with 4 neutrons which I still own and use to some degree, they are great bang for the buck and a great way to get started in modular IMO. But I've never tried any of their eurorack modules, and haven't read particularly great things about them. I imagine some of them are probably good value, while some of them probably suck haha.
-- adaris
Thanks

and another vote for the Mantis - by far the best option for a case based on price/hp/reputation of manufacturer/decent power supply... also incredibly portable - I've dragged mine all over the place - by car, plane, train and bus... and that's in the newer bag - there's also a 3rd party suitcase available...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

You'll know i enjoyed this cos i listened through the other day :)
-- wishbonebrewery

I do, thank you! :)

I am inspired by birth, death and the events inbetween.

https://youtube.com/@aphewgoodman

Really appreciate your advice!

I agree with jb. When I got into Eurorack, I was looking at one 84hp rack, based on a free 3U space in my studio's 19" rack. Because of the advice here, I got a 7U 104hp rack instead. A few months later, it's now full. Get a Mantis (6U, 104hp) to start with. It's cheaper than the 7U and the 1U has far less choice in modules anyway. You won't regret going bigger.
-- Arrandan

thanks !

I don't know where the post is, but someone did actual calculations on the wasted $ per HP when you mount a semi modular like M32 (that can easily stand on its own) in a rack. If you have the trifecta (DFAM/M32/SubH) go on Reverb and look up three tier Moog racks...for $100-$150 you can get a really nice wooden three tier rack that you can mount all three of them in (thats what I did with mine). As far as the size case to get, it really depends on what you're goals are...the 6U 88 would give you more HP overall and everyone will most likely tell you that whatever you decide you want to buy for your case, get something bigger. The Tip-Top Mantis cases are highly regarded for their overall value...I personally like the Rackbrute cases because two of them wide fit perfectly on the table I use and I like their design for portability if I ever get the courage to do some live performing
-- jb61264

Thanks a lot man!

I agree with jb. When I got into Eurorack, I was looking at one 84hp rack, based on a free 3U space in my studio's 19" rack. Because of the advice here, I got a 7U 104hp rack instead. A few months later, it's now full. Get a Mantis (6U, 104hp) to start with. It's cheaper than the 7U and the 1U has far less choice in modules anyway. You won't regret going bigger.

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

Rain is once again on the radar. The wet season is returning. Getting ready for a winter of live streaming with a warmup improv on the Moog stack.

Hope you dig it…

I don't know where the post is, but someone did actual calculations on the wasted $ per HP when you mount a semi modular like M32 (that can easily stand on its own) in a rack. If you have the trifecta (DFAM/M32/SubH) go on Reverb and look up three tier Moog racks...for $100-$150 you can get a really nice wooden three tier rack that you can mount all three of them in (thats what I did with mine). As far as the size case to get, it really depends on what you're goals are...the 6U 88 would give you more HP overall and everyone will most likely tell you that whatever you decide you want to buy for your case, get something bigger. The Tip-Top Mantis cases are highly regarded for their overall value...I personally like the Rackbrute cases because two of them wide fit perfectly on the table I use and I like their design for portability if I ever get the courage to do some live performing

JB

I think it's a combination of quality issues and distaste with some of their business practices. I don't really have a dog in the fight (aside from just generally not liking large corporations), as I'm not really up on their history and far from an expert on all the issues involved. I started my modular journey with 4 neutrons which I still own and use to some degree, they are great bang for the buck and a great way to get started in modular IMO. But I've never tried any of their eurorack modules, and haven't read particularly great things about them. I imagine some of them are probably good value, while some of them probably suck haha.

I own a moog mother 32, a subharmonicon and a Dfam. I want to expand my rig and get into modular, I am thinking wether I should include my mother 32 in the eurorack or not?
Also I am not 100 % sure if I wanna go with a 3U 126 hp case or a 6U 88 hp.
I know that I should go as big as I can but I also don't wanna buy something too big, any suggestions?

what do you think of this ?

ModularGrid Rack

Thanks!

Ho, I'm new in modular, well, very new, just finished my empty case and I'm starting to design and find modules for my first patch.
I've noticed that Behringer has a lot of modules, plenty of functions, but people seems not be interested in them.
Poor quality reasons maybe?
I'll wait your opinions.
Sorry for my English....thanks

SO, my request is: Would it be possible to change the default 'Description of your Offer' to remove the * I will ship to xxx only. * so that sellers have to explicitly state where they will ship rather than just use the default copy that says they won't ship abroad?

I have changed the template text a bit

P.S. BONUS REQUEST: Also, it would be so cool to have a rack of the week 'contest' where users' racks get featured based on type of build/ number of views on a rack (or something)
-- pigrabbit

We have something like this on the homepage: the Hot Racks section is generated by user views.

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

You'll know i enjoyed this cos i listened through the other day :)

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

My request is semantic more than a feature. I'm over here in America, and everyday I drool over all the cool modules for sale in Europe and abroad. The vast majority of those modules in the market place state in their ads that they will 'ship to EU only'. I've gotten desperate enough that I sometimes reach out and ask private sellers if they would consider shipping to the US, and they usually are willing, even if the ad says no.

SO, my request is: Would it be possible to change the default 'Description of your Offer' to remove the * I will ship to xxx only. * so that sellers have to explicitly state where they will ship rather than just use the default copy that says they won't ship abroad?

I understand everyone's different, and shipping abroad can be more complicated, but over here in America we are starving for your modules, and gosh darn it, we'll pay the shipping costs!
Note: I have been trying to accrue good module karma by selling my modules to Europeans whenever they request. Is it working?

P.S. BONUS REQUEST: Also, it would be so cool to have a rack of the week 'contest' where users' racks get featured based on type of build/ number of views on a rack (or something). Basically a showcase of users' racks that encourages people to design racks that others can think about/learn from. I know I love wading through people's racks looking for cool build ideas! OK, thanks for your consideration!

Erica Synths has a series of educational modules for learning about electronic music generation. This is the seventh I’ve built, their sample and hold/noise generator.
A very good kit. This one is probably the EDU module that has the most general purpose utility of all the ones I’ve built, would work very well in a pro rack.
Even if you don’t buy the kit, I recommend you download the user manual, it’s a great practical guide to electronics in music.
Build

Thank you for pointing out the EYESY, really a nice alternative. But during my research last night I noticed that I should probably build my own little soft- or hardware videosynth before spending more money on shiny little boxes.

And already sat this set up last year, with additional twitch features even so chat members got their own doughnut with a little name tag:

a broken, glitchy piece centering around the RYK Vector Wave. patch details in the video description.
thanks for watching.

I am inspired by birth, death and the events inbetween.

https://youtube.com/@aphewgoodman

Starting with racks that are deleted today we have that now. You will be redirected to the users profile page.
-- modulargrid

thank you!

Now also available with jacks on the top.

Thread: RYO Aperture

Yes, really annoying. I think you can change the primary face plate as a user, will take a look.

While I still don't get my head around Clouds, the Miverb, included in the alternative Parasite-firmware, is in my opinion a fantastic reverb. Emilie discontinued Clouds, but there are clones around by After Later Audio or Tunefish Modular.

As for mixers, the Doepfer-line offers fantastic value for your money. If you like to DIY, you might want to look at the Befaco STMix as a kit. Not the easiest build for a novice, though, the layout is quite dense.

Thank you, now I need this module.
And a bigger case.
-- zuggamasta

Sorry for that ;)

For me the reason to buy this specific videosynthesizer is that it can be used for XY oscilloscope drawings (Lissajous Patterns) and process them in a "artistic" way.

If you do not want to buy a new case, the Critter & Guitari EYESY could be an interesting "alternative".

Thank you, now I need this module.
And a bigger case.

Building this now. V excited

Thread: RYO Aperture

Pity that someone uploaded a Greyscale panel to this.

Available again at SchneidersLaden.

Having fun with mine :)

c'mon dude, post the link to your public rack, not just a shitty jpg!!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

MI Ripples in the bottom row of the Intellijel case on the left can be exchanged by taste by one of the example filters in the top right corner of the grid - That is if you like the sound of another filter better and it has the connections and attenuators you like.

Also apparently one can just switch the 1U row to the middle just by moving the rails, while the screwed in modules themselves are holding everything in place.

this is my dark ambient rack

ModularGrid Rack
would a tripplesloths v2 give me anything good,or what would you recommend?

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

If possible, put the 1u row in the middle

It seems to me very interesting.

refuse-resist

The small knobs are a bit difficult to reach, but you can't minimize HP and have large controls. The button / knob combos must be memorized and probably could not be used in a dark venue. Otherwise this is a very interesting module to use. I think the compromises they made were well considered. This thing would be twice the HP if was say an In5tro designed module ;-)
-- mntbighker

Thanks for the very considered assessment. Yes, the functionality-footprint tradeoff is something we thought about very carefully, and obviously every player will have their own preference on that continuum. The line we took was that, with all we wanted it to do, yes, footprint would far exceed what was reasonable or practical were it to be 1-button-1-function. We therefore designed it so that the most important musical elements (pitch, duration and octave) are directly accessible on the top layer and the more detailed ones are only ever a single button-hold away, clearly marked on the panel. Finally, it is first and foremost an instrument so a modest amount of muscle-familiarity with it to get everything out of it is, I think, a reasonable solution. There's a lot of comment on how quickly this comes in the user testimonials here...

https://www.stochasticinstruments.com/feedback

...and also a nice demo here (fwd to 24min 45sec). Thanks for engaging :-)

Stochastic Instruments Ltd.
Rethink Random//Perform Process//Create Chaos

Save the World Entire: Vegan
End the holocaust. Change our world with science.

Anxiously awaiting my SIG+ to arrive in the mail any day now...

JB

The small knobs are a bit difficult to reach, but you can't minimize HP and have large controls. The button / knob combos must be memorized and probably could not be used in a dark venue. Otherwise this is a very interesting module to use. I think the compromises they made were well considered. This thing would be twice the HP if was say an In5tro designed module ;-)

Delay/reverb recommendation: FX Aid XL or Pro by Happy Nerding
Mix recommendation: Cosmix by Cosmotronic

JB

Delay/reverb recommendation: status leak by frequency central.. nice easy kit

Thread: Utilities

Also connected:
- Moog Mother32
- Elektron Digitone
- Hologram Electronics Microcosm

A note of caution, the uZeus is designed to be mounted on metal rails, and while it is possible to mount them on 3d printed plastic, it's not ideal, and if you ask TipTop I'm pretty sure they will recommend against it. However, I've got a couple mounted on 3d printed plastic (albeit not in an actual case) and what I've done is put these heat sinks on them to dissipate any excess heat:

I noticed that a bit ago, so I swapped to 4MS Row 25 because it was what the person who modeled my case was using, and they added a little breakout slot to fit it on the top instead of in the main rack.

A note of caution, the uZeus is designed to be mounted on metal rails, and while it is possible to mount them on 3d printed plastic, it's not ideal, and if you ask TipTop I'm pretty sure they will recommend against it. However, I've got a couple mounted on 3d printed plastic (albeit not in an actual case) and what I've done is put these heat sinks on them to dissipate any excess heat:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CVTHZ6W/
https://smile.amazon.com/25Mx20mmx0-25mm-Performance-Thermally-conduction-insulation/dp/B075FRPXQ5/

Actually since the heat sinks and tape are cheap, I've gone ahead and put one on all my uZeus modules, regardless of where they're mounted. It's super easy.

I am finally ready to take the next steps into the modular world. I have an East Beast and a West Pest that I absolutely love, and I'm planning out my build now. I've 3D printed myself an expandable case and am looking towards the uZeus for power.

I'd like to grab myself two modules in particular and I'd like to solicit some recommendations. Given that I'm only entering the world of modular, I'm not looking to go crazy with state of the art stuff, but I'm also not opposed to spending a bit more for something worth the quality.

• First, I'd like a mixer simply to cut down on the amount of output cables I have to feed into my speakers. I think 4 channels in would be best so I could expand in the future, but more is probably better here?

• Second, I'd like some kind of delay/reverb. Probably something simple for now.

• Third, I'm planning to grab a Music Thing Modular Graphic EQ DIY kit. I have no specific interest in the EQ itself, but I saw it recommended as a very simple starter DIY kit and I'm still a soldering novice. Willing to take recommendations here as well (something more easily available in the US would be nice).

TL;DR: Going to put my East Beast and a West Pest into a Eurorack case, would like mixer and delay/reverb module recommendations. Also planning to grab one simple DIY kit to give that a try. All powered by uZeus.

Thanks!

Set the varigate switch in the middle position (2/2) now you have channels 1 and 3 for cv and channels 2 and 4 for gate.
Simply program the step that you want with the fader all on the right (100% prob of firing a gate)
You can advance the sequence with a clock or a trigger pattern to advance when you want instead of a constant clock.
Hope it helps

How do I sync the cv and gate on the Varigate 4+ so that when pitch is outputted, a corresponding gate is fired? Right now it is all out of sync so the envelope is not opening properly.

Thanks

Hello community, Timber is a wave manipulation tool, it can overdrive, fold, fold again, and another slice of folding. It also can be use for its feedback possibilities and can also behave like a VCA. It has 2 section we can intermodulate or cross-fade. We can pick different tastes of drive and the folding stage of the I section can by applied before to hit section II's wavefolder(s).
This video details 5 very nice spots I've stopped by using this amazing module.
Happy watching.

And this one is a video manual, in french with cc!

I'm visual too, so I can relate. But also for simpler matters. I have the Zadar, which outputs 0-10V (attenuatable). Suppose I get that down to 0-3V. Now if I invert that, I get -3-0V. Say I want it to be 0-3V. With many DC sources, it's hard to say if I'm really getting 3V. I was using that to AND the inverse of envelope of a sound with gates, in other words to stop gates from triggering while the sound is still playing. By ear, it's probably good enough. Visually, I feel it's more accurate. Now the question is - do I want to spend €500 on a Mordax for that?
-- Arrandan

Well I would just say that 1) there are cheaper scope options out there than the Mordax, which has 4 channels and does more than just act as an oscilloscope. Plum Audio, FPB, and Intellijel have cheaper scopes, and there may be others I'm missing as well. And 2) If your experience is like mine you're likely to run into other situations where you'll be glad you had a scope. I actually have more than one and I don't regret it at all.

Yeah for me a scope like the the O'Tool+ or Mordax Data is essential. Yes you should use your ears, but viewing things in the scope can save you a lot of headaches as far as diagnosing problems when things aren't behaving like you expect. I'm a visual person anyway so I like to be able to see things in the scope regardless.
-- adaris

I'm visual too, so I can relate. But also for simpler matters. I have the Zadar, which outputs 0-10V (attenuatable). Suppose I get that down to 0-3V. Now if I invert that, I get -3-0V. Say I want it to be 0-3V. With many DC sources, it's hard to say if I'm really getting 3V. I was using that to AND the inverse of envelope of a sound with gates, in other words to stop gates from triggering while the sound is still playing. By ear, it's probably good enough. Visually, I feel it's more accurate. Now the question is - do I want to spend €500 on a Mordax for that?

I found this little gem from Tesseract while browsing for sequencers. With the expander, it just fits in this pod!
ModularGrid Rack
Funny thing is this Tesseract isn't only a sequencer and midi-capable as well. It also has a sample player and a very basic drum synth built in.

I still need to look into it more deeply. There's only 4 cv in and I don't know what they can be mapped on. PS: just looked it up. Those cv ins can be used for literally anything - Euclidean length, filter resonance, drum synth decay, reverb level, you name it. Pretty impressive!

Hey! Paired with a deluge and keystep/beatstep pro, do you think this 12u rack (meant for berlin school/ generative ambient) would be fun to play? i haven't made this in vcv because i have neither a key/beatstep nor a deluge, this is just future planning. constructive criticism welcome!

Yeah for me a scope like the the O'Tool+ or Mordax Data is essential. Yes you should use your ears, but viewing things in the scope can save you a lot of headaches as far as diagnosing problems when things aren't behaving like you expect. I'm a visual person anyway so I like to be able to see things in the scope regardless.

I'm mostly in camp "by ear" too for signal levels too, as Jim says the worst that happens is that something clips off a bit of the signal. Definitely occasionally throw envelope signals into Mordax to get a look at what they're doing though!

IMHO though, other than tuning you really shouldn't chase all that much precision in signal levels! Let it be a little sloppy, it might do something cool!