this user has left ModularGrid

I’m building a portable rig but dedicating an entire 104HP Intelijel 4u case just to support modules with a sequencer and single drum voice module nothing else. I have two small modular synths that have support modules like VCAs and attenuators but even so the need for modulation sources, mixers and tools like attenuators and logic will become more important to you over time.

Hi folks,

I am building a travel case that has a sequencer and drum voice and need tips on what would be the essential 1u and other small support modules. Here is a sketch:

ModularGrid Rack

I plan to use it with my Endorphin.es Shuttle System that should arrive next week as well as my other modular travel cases from Make Noise Shuttle System and ALM Busy Circuits Super Coupe.

ModularGrid Rack

Open to ideas and suggestions.

Thanks Garfield,

I have a 104 HP Palette case that I plan to use for the Ground Control Sequencer, Queen of Pentacles and 1u support modules. My build plan so far:

ModularGrid Rack

I also have an Endorphin.es Shuttle System on the way! A trio: Make Noise Shared System, ALM Busy Circuits Super Coupe and Endorphin.es Shuttle System should be perfect mobile rig for me with the OP-1.

tbh I sort of agree - but I think a mantis is still small enough - I was constrained to a mantis for a couple of months earlier in the year - & it was interesting - but I kept reaching for things that weren't there - I appreciate the smaller case (mantis) as a focused environment - I had a deckard's voice and a magneto in there so not that many modules! - but any smaller and I think you miss out so much on the utilities that make the bigger modules shine and of course the ergonomics - I was really glad when I got the rest back though - about 1400 extra hp for me including video, in my case(s)

as for filling the case fast - that's down to you...

I'd say get the 'slightly' bigger case but go slowly... set a budget of 100/month or something... and don't buy a new module until you are thoroughly conversant with the modules you have and how they interact

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hi Sacguy71,

Can't wait for your demo with the Ground Control sequencer! :-D

Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

I agree partly Jim :), but there is something about this focused approach that is really appealing.

• less clutter in your cables
  • easier to work out what's going on in your patches.
  • you are forced to learn a specific module and to learn it well
  • larger cases will inevitably get filled quickly. I would go for a larger case if I could guarantee I would be disciplined but sadly I'm not lol. )
  • As you learn more about modular you realise that there are more uses in the combination of your modules than the obvious

op said techno - to my ears ,the jams especially by mylar are pretty sweet :)

it's definitely possible - but is it a good idea? almost definitely not

starting out so constrained will lead to poor ergonomics, unrealised potential, overspending on cases and possibke disillusionment with modular synthesis

start bigger and reduce (if you feel you need to) once you know what you are doing, what modules you actually want an (more importantly) need and how you work in modular

there is no need to fill a large case with modules - that's what blind panels are for

a mantis is easily portable, by all but the smallest children...
-- JimHowell1970

Thanks Garfield,

Yeah these prepackaged systems are great deal and come with new modules that are not out yet like Milton and so forth. I knew how to use Pamela New Workout already so learning the Squid and Quad Megaslope is easy. Definitely more straight forward than the more esoteric approach of Make Noise modules! Anyways also have some Endorphin.es modules arriving soon including the new Ground Control sequencer and Queen of Pentacles drum synth!

Hey Sacguy71,

This is great, I even didn't realise a thing like ALM - Super Coupe existed. So this is a great eye-opener for me, getting to know the ALM modules. A few modules I had heard of it before, obviously however this video is a great demo beside seeing the Super Coupe rack also getting in "touch" with other modules from ALM.

Ha, ha, that sound and effect that kicks in at 6:18 is great!

Nice work, great demo and thanks a lot for sharing this with us! Let all weekends start like this :-) Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi TumeniKnobs,

Oh wow! This is great, I love this! You are taking it easy and slowly here, yet enough variation to leave the listener left in unbelief... how can a track being relaxed and ambient like this contain yet so much interesting, tense & beautiful, minimal but yet fantastic, variation?! This is an art on its own.

For example that sound that kicks in at 16:14, beautifully done and just one of the tons of examples I could pull up here, wow :-)

Did I just wrote now: "You are taking it easy?" Hell, you didn't! This, at least to me, doesn't sound like easy at all, this is sound engineering at its perfection! Please do let me know if you are going to publish this and more of the likes on CD, preferable SACD or LP, this is a must have!

Thank you very much for letting us into your audio-adventure-world and kind regards, Garfield.

P.S.: I had the Iridium already on my wish list, this track proofs to me that Iridium sounds like a must have synthesizer for any studio! :-) I am increasing the priority for the Iridium!

it's definitely possible - but is it a good idea? almost definitely not

starting out so constrained will lead to poor ergonomics, unrealised potential, overspending on cases and possibke disillusionment with modular synthesis

start bigger and reduce (if you feel you need to) once you know what you are doing, what modules you actually want an (more importantly) need and how you work in modular

there is no need to fill a large case with modules - that's what blind panels are for

a mantis is easily portable, by all but the smallest children...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Definitely some random cv modules would be great fun. I love Marbles and Wogglebug for random weirdness. It really spices up patches and gives some generative options as well.

since you're still looking for other ideas, I gotta mention some software domain stuff:
-- SonicCouture stuff including GeoSonics and others
-- some of the Native Instrument lineup like ScannerXT, Form and others
-- a lot of the GlitchMachines lineup particularly for "tech" sounding textures
-- Spitfire Audio BT Phobos
-- or any sufficiently wierd sample set (like Zero-G Ian Boddy Odyssey) run through granular and other mangling

There's SO much in software, it's really worth a good look. And so much on holiday sale presently. Some modest $s would get you a bunch of the relevant software.

AND assuming you have a DAW to modular setup (like Expert Sleepers unit) you could pass your DAW texture audio into modular for additional mangling

Such a fun portable modular system to complement my Make Noise Shared System and OP-1 for mobile jams the ALM Busy Circuits Super Coupe featuring Pam and Squid Salmple:

It’s probably not the most creative use, but I love adjusting VCA decay, filter cutoff, and reverb or delay feedback simultaneously. I tend to patch that up pretty often.
-- farkas

The first Thing I had in mind was also to control reverb and delay.will have to see if I can control Them in the grand terminal in some way.

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

I think it's possible, you just need smaller modules if you want to stick to a case this size. For instance if you want the functionality of plaits, get knit instead

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/antumbra-knit-white-magpie-panel

I think these two videos will help you plan a small case as both are excellent.

It’s probably not the most creative use, but I love adjusting VCA decay, filter cutoff, and reverb or delay feedback simultaneously. I tend to patch that up pretty often.

@kossu did you buy any chance get inspired by one (or more) minimalist setup videos from Rick Tinez ? If so, remember that while he does have a “focus” Palette case he often makes videos with (which probably makes sense visually than a monster rack, I guess), that’s not all he has. As maybe the constant change in his setup shows, designing a setup that small takes a LOT of experience, and will imply sacrifices in terms of functionality or/and scope. I would therefore echo Jim and Farkas here, so advise to get a bigger case and do a LOT more research.
Other usual modular beginner guidance is also applicable (see other similar posts on this forum): get VCV to try ideas, buy slowly instead of everything at once, …

--- Voltage control all the things ---

I would look to add more random, like divkid rnd step, or a wogglebug, I would also want a dedicated slew, perhaps a make noise function or a joranalogue contour 1.

I have a makrow module from future sound systems.
I got it because I would like some more hands on central over my eurorack.for my ambient music.but havent used it yet.

Whats your favorite Thing to use it for?

I have both but pams gets more use. I only end up using the temps if I want more outs but 8 generally is more than enough if you mult them.

Hi,

I picked up Ornament and Crime a few weeks ago and am really enjoying it. This made me wonder about Temps Utile, and so I looked at some comments/threads on Mod Wiggler to see what people said. Interestingly, most of the discussions dated back to 2017 when Pam's Workout was only just being updated to the 'New' version.

So, I'm curious to hear some thoughts on Pam's New Workout and/or Temps Utile in 2021. Do people think T_U has become a bit redundant since Pam's Workout became Pamela's New Workout (a few years back), or has there been some developments in the Temps Utile firmware that still make it not only a competitor, but a good alternative (or complementary) - even though it has less outs, but then again it's cheaper.

Thanks in advance.

I'm in no hurry to fill the case and I'm mostly looking for inspiration and tips to help me navigate the modular jungle.
My approach is manily sound and synthesis exploration, with a lot of generative aspects. Though I don't mind using it for noisy techno stuff either.

Been considering getting a complex oscillator (perhaps to replace the Pittsburgh Primary Oscillator) but new and exciting modulation possibilities is just as high on the list.

The rack is actually in two parts (right/left separation) and the SQ-1 isn't rack mounted I just included it for fun, since its such an integral part of the rig.

So, any suggestions?

edit: for some reason the forum won't show my entire rack. Click the image to see the whole thing.

ModularGrid Rack

As usual, smart contact and fine transaction with @Slim
Merci Quentin !

+1 to everything Jim said. That is the exact feedback I would offer as well.

I would do more research - a week is really on the very low side...

ignore the case and work out the modules and functionality that you really want

sequencing:
bia with pams - ok
plaits with steppy? are you intending to use plaits as a melodic voice? if so steppy is a trigger sequencer - so no melody - pams acan do something like a turing machine - but I'd want some way to deliberately sequence too

tiny case:
you would be much better starting with a much bigger case, work out your workflow and what module you need to achieve that, and then if you are desperate to only have a micro beauty case scale down - the tiptop mantis or doepfer lc9 are good starter cases

overly large modules:
the delay and attenuators strike me as very large especially for this size case - fx aid xl - much smaller, more versatile - would replace attenuverters with vcas (& maybe a 2hp inverter)

too small modules:
vcas - vcas are fundamentally important to most modular synthesists - they are useful for modulation as well as audio - you probably want more of these - veils is good

Hello Grid,

My first time posting here after spending the better part of the week trying to figure out what I'd need for a solid starter techno rack for standalone playing. I've been working with mostly digital gear in the past and now wanted to give modular a shot. Does this make sense to you, as in, would you enjoy playing a set using this and a midi keyboard only?

view rack

The basic idea is to sequence BIA through PNW and Plaits through Steppy. IV for effects and Lapsus for general noodling with values. I thought Polaris would be a good fit for a general purpose filter.

I'm not exactly sure if the number of VCA's is sufficient. There's the 2hp VCA to help with that, but also I just threw it in because it fit. USB power is there for a midi keyboard and, again, because there was leftover room. I've inverted the rack for easier plumbing. I would appreciate any thoughts on this and critique is especially welcome since it's my first eurorack with a price tag north of 2500€ in the EU.

FYI consider also ES-3/6 for doing ADAT in/out to any interface that takes it. That basically lets you extend a "normal" interface into the modular domain, rather than having to try to find one box that does everything you want. Also the price on ES3/6 is pretty decent too.

Howdy! I got a bunch of new toys to play with (after saying goodbye to a bunch of old ones) and just recorded this long, mellow ambient piece that features the Mother 32, Hologram Microcosm and Strymon Skylab with the Waldorf Iridium for additional
texture and swirly deepness.

=76cfd17d29eb44df9f2cb8aceac9fc9a

I am improvising through the entire recording with constantly changing chord combos on both the Keystep arpeggiator and on the Iridium (using the built-in pads). Also doing manual wiggling of the Maths modulation amount on the M32 LFO Rate and making loads of periodic changes to the arpeggiator speed and divisions as well as the M32 octave range. Also also occasionally lowering the Microcosm mix to zero and dropping the Iridium to let just the M32 and Starlab dance together. I’ve had this patched up for a week and really enjoyed messing around with it. Cheers!

Keystep > M32
Mother 32 > WMD PM > Aux - Microcosm > Starlab
Maths > M32 LFO Rate - Cutoff and PWM
Sloths to M32 Resonance
Batumi to WMD PM Pan
Batumi to Starlab Shimmer
Batumi to Starlab Glimmer
Sloths to Starlab High Damp
Starlab onboard LFO to Delay

Edit: Now with more space!

This sounds great! Just my style. I have yet to try "Beads as a voice" but this is convincing me I should. Thanks for sharing.

Make Noise has a helluva great control setup with the pairing of the Rene and the Tempi modules. There's a backplane connection that those two modules can use to consolidate their operation. Plus, the Rene's also a great touchplate controller in its own right.

Definitely NOT the way the original 1036 works! It should act like the same circuit in the ARP 2600; if I remember right, this is one of the 2500 bits-n-pieces that made it into the 2600.

Get Pams, Euclidean circles and Plaits. You can use Pams for your clock and modulation sources for Plaits. You can use the euclidean circles to trigger Plaits. I would advise you buy a rings or a plonk whilst waiting for the tip top stuff. The wasp would be good too as you have two modulation inputs there too. The Wasp sounds wicked with Plaits in chord mode.

You don't need VCA's until the oscillator comes out as Plaits has a built in low pass gate, but you could get the Veils and use it as a mixer for the time being. Personally I would just get a simple 4 channel mixer, it will be much cheaper for you and these things are really useful all over the place.

The advantage of playing with euclidean circles is to allow multiple rhythms playing off each other to create hypnotic grooves. You would need two sound sources for that. Plaits, Plonk, Rings all work really well with euclidean rhythms as you can get very unusual percussive sounds with them when you modulate with cv ( this will give you that moving sound ) which is what I'm understanding from your brief.

Hope this helps.

Hi Yunyun,

Wow, this is a great track! That sound that kicks in at 0:52, gave me goose bumps! :-) It sounds to me like an almost symphonic composition, very well done!

Lovely video with your rack in the greenery does the rest :-) Thanks a lot for sharing this with us, please keep the good work coming and kind regards, Garfield.

My recommendation would be to buy Pam's New Workout and see if you can get away with using the Euclidean features on it. If you find that you MUST have real-time performance controls then purchase EC V2 later. A great strategy is to not purchase your entire system at once but just enough to get you going. Then add modules as you gain more experience and literal hands-on knowledge of your system.

I will definitely research them and add the to the list of considerations.

I'm highlighting this... because doing your own research, reading the manuals (before buying) will really help you select the best modules for your needs.

-- Ronin1973

completely agree with @Ronin1973 on these points - there really is no substitute for reading manuals as well as watching demo videos before buying modules

3x Mia and the WMD/SSF Toolbox. Both seemed like good utility modules.

Do you have any recommendations? Regardless, I shall look into it more though, and thank you for the reply!

those are great starting points - I'd just grab those 2 and see where you want to go afterwards...

I had already been eyeing Pam's new workout, would you use Pam's or Euclidean circles v2 if you had to choose?

Euclidean Circles V2 is nice because you have easy to read and modify controls. So Euclidean Circles checks all the boxes for real-time performance adjustments. If you are composing on the fly or jamming, then that module makes a lot of sense.

Of course, Pam's does Euclidean plus a whole lot more (that's not Euclidean). Pam's is one of those modules you can make part of the core of your system for clock, sync, rhythm generation, etc.

My recommendation would be to buy Pam's New Workout and see if you can get away with using the Euclidean features on it. If you find that you MUST have real-time performance controls then purchase EC V2 later. A great strategy is to not purchase your entire system at once but just enough to get you going. Then add modules as you gain more experience and literal hands-on knowledge of your system.

I will definitely research them and add the to the list of considerations.

I'm highlighting this... because doing your own research, reading the manuals (before buying) will really help you select the best modules for your needs.

good luck!

Thanks Jim, I agree. The module is on its way back.
The thing is I'm going for a dedicated 2500 case. For general S&H I already have some Doepfers. I'll do some research and if that's the way the original worked I'm fine with that. If it isn't and I get two modules with the same fault I'll have to reconsider the whole thing.

Tetrapad and tete combo
acid rain navigator
-- Broken-Form

Good suggestion on the Tetrapad + tete. I already have a navigator, but I suppose 2 couldn't hurt :). The navigator is still sitting in the GO case (bottom left) but will be moved to the skiff once I reassemble.

Thanks for the suggestion!

1. why buy the doepfer quad vca and then replace with veils? - just buy veils!
  2. do you really need the output module? - probably not - if you are going to play live you might want one, but then probably a balanced one - if not often they are unnecessary, or can be replaced with passive attenuators - this may differ depending on where you live and how good your mains power is...
  3. more utility modules would probably be better - I like to think (very loosely):

which generally gives you best bang for the buck - ie more variety (in patching)/less money
-- JimHowell1970

1. Makes sense
  2. No output module it is to start with, I can add it when I find the need for it
  3. Yea, more utility would probable be better. I did some quick searching and found the 3x Mia and the WMD/SSF Toolbox. Both seemed like good utility modules.

Do you have any recommendations? Regardless, I shall look into it more though, and thank you for the reply!

Big modules and a small case. You might run into issues.

You mentioned Euclidean rhythms. I believe Pam's New Workout has that going for it as well. You can get full-blown sequencers that do Euclidean like the Westlich Performer. That would give you the ability to save your set-up. The Westlich can also be controlled externally via a Novation Launchpad. Which might be something nice as you could mount the LaunchPad within your drum kit for better control.

If space isn't an issue, you may want to check out Tiptop Audio's Trigger Riot. For pitches, you might like Noise Engineerings Mimetic Digitalis. It's compact and can do four channels of CV information. The sequencer steps through 16 positions but is set up via a 4x4 grid that can take triggers to reset, or move the position down or to the right.

You can also add more complexity to your rhythms by incorporating some sort of logic module (a comparator).
-- Ronin1973

Yea, big modules could be a problem. I plan to build the system over time, so the possibility to add another Mantis case is always there.
- I had already been eyeing Pam's new workout, would you use Pam's or Euclidean circles v2 if you had to choose?
- The Westlich seems a little out of reach at the moment, something I might revisit in the future when the need arises
- Both the Trigger Riot and the Mimetic Digitalis looked sweet, I will definitely research them and add the to the list of considerations.

Thanks for the input

Tetrapad and tete combo
acid rain navigator

some great tips,keep them coming

Here is my rack(s) as they stand today. This represents a full Behringer GO and a NiftyCase. Would like to keep a lot of audio and modulation in the GO case, and utilize the Nifty for control modules. Was curious about opinions of control modules here (joysticks, rene or pressure points, real tactile stuff). Not really looking for sequencers per se. I already use a Squarp Pyramid and a CV.OCD to get 4 cv/gate channels for the voices.

Any recommendations of really interesting tactile modules that can work well for providing/altering CV or audio signals? Would also take any suggestions for gaps you may see in the rack (utility and logic, mostly).

ModularGrid Rack

Big modules and a small case. You might run into issues.

You mentioned Euclidean rhythms. I believe Pam's New Workout has that going for it as well. You can get full-blown sequencers that do Euclidean like the Westlich Performer. That would give you the ability to save your set-up. The Westlich can also be controlled externally via a Novation Launchpad. Which might be something nice as you could mount the LaunchPad within your drum kit for better control.

If space isn't an issue, you may want to check out Tiptop Audio's Trigger Riot. For pitches, you might like Noise Engineerings Mimetic Digitalis. It's compact and can do four channels of CV information. The sequencer steps through 16 positions but is set up via a 4x4 grid that can take triggers to reset, or move the position down or to the right.

You can also add more complexity to your rhythms by incorporating some sort of logic module (a comparator).

If you're on a Mac it's possible to aggregate your audio interfaces together into one big virtual interface. So you could use both the ES-8 and your Focusrite at the same time. Not so much luck with a PC.

My latest patch with Beads as the main voice. Additional ones coming from Verbos Harmonic oscillator and Rings.
Still debating with myself if Beads is really for me !

Btw, I already have the following modules which I plan to pull out of my wavetable synth:

• Plum Audio 1uT_u - 4ROBOTS (Temps Utile) - I have the CV ins expander, but alas, no space to squeeze it in :P
  • Intellijel Steppy 1U
  • Mutable Instruments Rings
  • ALM Squid Salmple (no expander yet)
  • 2hp Nse

Hey guys,

I'm still learning my way through the modular world. I've been working with a wavetable build I made recently and have been having a blast. The only thing is I was looking to add some groove-based ryhthms to full blow beats for songs. The goal is to morph from jams, to tracks, and repeat.

I picked up a elektron digitone for some polyphonic fm, as well as plans to utilise the 4 midi tracks with my FH-2.

To give you an idea of my... tastes, i'm not into dance music per say, but I do love dancing to swung grooves. I love harmonic play, dissonance, shuffling/swung rhythms, improvisation, imperfection, noise, grunge, subtlety, restraint.

Now that you have a super clear idea of what im talking about , what do you think of this little sampler+resonator drum machine? Planning to hook up the Digitone via the FH-2 here as well. Predictability and mayhem covered? Any suggestions are most welcome

if it's described as a sample and hold and behaving as described - then it sounds faulty to me

if Thomann say it's faulty immediately, then they've probably come across a number of these with the same problem) just return it - if the replacement still does the same - return it and get something from a more reputable company - doepfer or divkid/instruo perhaps

1. why buy the doepfer quad vca and then replace with veils? - just buy veils!
  2. do you really need the output module? - probably not - if you are going to play live you might want one, but then probably a balanced one - if not often they are unnecessary, or can be replaced with passive attenuators - this may differ depending on where you live and how good your mains power is...
  3. more utility modules would probably be better - I like to think (very loosely):

which generally gives you best bang for the buck - ie more variety (in patching)/less money