Hi all,

Any idea about potential next modules from a system like this?

What would you get to fill the rack?

Thank you in advance to everybody

Dan

I'm guessing you have other gear, synths, sound modules etc?
And bear in mind that closely spaced 2hp-sized module are very hard to use once they are patched and close to other modules.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

I'm guessing you have other gear, synths, sound modules etc?
And bear in mind that closely spaced 2hp-sized module are very hard to use once they are patched and close to other modules.
-- wishbonebrewery

you guess right. it's my first system and I ended up with some extra room to fill

I think the issue you say about the 2hp drum kit it's not its real problem with me, since once a CV is patched to for instance to the Pamela, the knob underneath doesn't really need to be moved again. But yes, those 3 can stay together but can't be placed every where, you are right

I am not sure if adding more effects to the drum kit or replacing it with something bigger like for instance the LEPs, not necessarily right now, I am not taking new modules every month

Even the 2hp 'Picnic Basket' (their 'Flagship Lunchbox') is presented with blank panels between modules. And they often do their public demonstrations with these spacers.
https://www.twohp.com/systems/picnic-basket

So the first and best suggestion will be to buy some blank panels (1 or 2HP), really. Not very exiting but much more comfortable.

A small-format macro oscillator like Twin Waves or Beehive (a 8HP clone of Plaits) would be welcome in a small box to complete your Threshold.

Finally I’ll add an attenuverter/attenuator, and probably remove Jam Jam since you have Pam’s.

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

I originally started out thinking that I would be happy with Euclidian patterns for Drum sequencing but I quickly found I wanted more control so added a Roboux LL8 and later a Beatstep Pro. Is this someting you've thought of or are you completely happy as you are as you already have a lot of trigger options?

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Even the 2hp 'Picnic Basket' (their 'Flagship Lunchbox') is presented with blank panels between modules. And they often do their public demonstrations with these spacers.

So the first and best suggestion will be to buy some blank panels (1 or 2HP), really. Not very exiting but much more comfortable.

• Sweelinck

I know what you mean, as you can see all modules from their drum kit lunchbox are already on this rack. Thanks for the suggestion Sweelinck, I will probably add some space in between but without buying any blank panel for the moment. In future I will decide if keeping or replacing them, I mean I like how they sound and they are so small that they allow to add for more modules but I would like a little bit more variety. I would probably add up some dedicated effect or swap it with an analogue drumkit, if I find something that fits, in the future...

A small-format macro oscillator like Twin Waves or Beehive (a 8HP clone of Plaits) would be welcome in a small box to complete your Threshold.

Finally I’ll add an attenuverter/attenuator, and probably remove Jam Jam since you have Pam’s.
-- Sweelinck

interesting oscillators, but I would have to add more clocks and mixers and effects to include more voices, and there's not enough room. Definitely not something for small portable systems (actually I was thinking if adding a couple more voice, but on the drum side, like a double voiced percussion like bongos or something like that, but still, I would need extra clocks and mixer inputs, so.... )

I agree maybe I can remove the Jam Jam from this rack for the prosecution of this thread as it might be seen as redundant, however I can't understand why you would add an attenuverter/attenuator. May I ask you to explain why it would be something useful to add to this particular setup?

I originally started out thinking that I would be happy with Euclidian patterns for Drum sequencing but I quickly found I wanted more control so added a Roboux LL8 and later a Beatstep Pro. Is this someting you've thought of or are you completely happy as you are as you already have a lot of trigger options?
-- wishbonebrewery

You caught me again, I do have an extra module for Euclidean patterns 😁 but I am on the opposite journey as I got tired of classical sequencers and I am more interested in generative music now. That's why one option on the table is also to get extra modulations, I would get a second PAM PRO but I don't like duplicating modules. Maybe I can find something similar, like 2 or 4 extra PAMish channels of CVs modulators, but I still haven't checked if there is actually something like that around (and the PAM PRO itself is quite new).

@Dan_ogq

• Leaving a gap between the modules can be risky. A 1HP blank panel from Doepfer costs around 3€. Much cheaper than damage caused by a short circuit due to an involuntary intrusion.

• The 2hp drum modules are of good quality. Richard Devine’s Current Live Setup features a 2hp Kick and a 2hp Hat: ModularGrid Rack

• An attenuverter will allow you to adjust (reduce or increase) the amount of modulation you wish on the tone or the decay of your 2hp Kick, for example. This is an essential tool. The most complete modules have an attenuver for each of their main cv inputs.
    We often suggest a utility module like the 3x MIA: it contains an attenuverter function (among many others). You will be able to dose the modulations reducing the width of an lfo or a random, and this module can even mix several modulations together.

We often suggest a utility module like the 3x MIA:
-- Sweelinck

good suggestion, it would probably pair perfectly with the Twin Waves...

besides, do you mean you sell modules? you probably know lots of modules... please continue adding modules to the thread

3x MIA is useful in many situations. Concerning Twin Waves, it is perhaps not the best example because it has 2 attenuators (param 1 and param 2 knobs). That said, 3x MIA will be able to mix and dose two sources of external modulations that will result in a single flow in one of the two inputs (param 1 or param 2 inputs).

I don’t sell modules :) When I write 'We often suggest...' I am referring to this ModularGrid community (and others) that quite often recommends the 3x MIA module. It has many useful functions in a small 6HP format. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/happy-nerding-3x-mia
In fact, it is one of the highest rated modules currently (see the list of ‘Top Modules’ https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modules/evaluationlists)

It is not always relevant to advise this or that module (apart from a few utilities) because the beginner logically has a difficulty in explaining what he is looking for, and the one who advises will naturally refer to his own tastes and orientations.

Take your time. Watch videos. Download and read the manuals for more information, and understand for yourself. I did this for several months before purchasing my first modules.

And start with few modules (but a large box)...