Trying not to buy a Starlab. So I tried to emulate it, with the modules I have. Fun exercise (although I am not really into this kind of "ambient")

the thumbnail for this YT clips screams "clickbait", and that alone should be sufficient warning. If someone on YT has something SUBSTANTIAL to post, they won't need clickbait to get attention for it. When I talk about NOT paying attention to YouTube for your information...this sort of thing is PRECISELY what I'm talking about.
-- Lugia

Since you haven't actually watched what you pass such self-important judgement upon, I don't plan on taking notes from your galaxy brain takedowns, meight!

BTW folks here's a patch illustration to go with the vid (it...was linked in the description 😉): https://www.modulargrid.net/e/patches/view/86144

Thanks so much Jtunes_ia for sharing this and everyone (actually) watching it!

Adding an offset to your signal requires its own attenuverter to be put in the chain with -5v to+5v available unless you stack more attenuverters together for greater offset

@nickgreenberg

@TOMMI001 thanks for the news, maybe post again when the units are available? I am in the US, I'm not sure mail from your location in the Netherlands would make sense, but we'll see...

don't know if you're still looking for a solution, Nick.
But this is the link https://www.etsy.com/listing/1144381145/airy-venting-blank-4hp-panel

postage to the US is stoopid, if you are interested send me a DM and we'll figure it out.

I'm looking for Syncable EG modules, feel like it's a primal need on my rack for what I want to create.
So far I found 3 offers in the market:

• 4ms Pingable Envelope Generator
  • ALM Pamela's NEW Workout
  • STG Envelope Generator

Is there anymore modules you guys know of?
I already have a good clock and multi function (FH-2) so the PNW will be mostly redundant, and 4ms and STG are quite big...

EDIT:

Found this one- Rebel Technology Gonies, 10hp with 2 EG

And another one- ST Modular Slopes, 12hp with 4EG outputs

OK...banged on this a whole bunch. A few things were removed (the unbuffered mult, the Mutant Brain, the PipSlope, the 2hp mixer, the headphone tile, and the Stages) and much thrashing around ensued. The result is:
ModularGrid Rack
I treated this as a total fill-out, so that you can get some ideas. Although, it would be quite possible to assemble exactly that above and have a really stonkin' instrument.

TILES: Stereo IN, then the MIDI interface (freed up 8 hp in the 3U stuff), Steppy, a DuATT for mixing/attenuversion, a stereo (mono in) chorus/reverb/delay, then the Stereo OUT.

TOP ROW: Konstant Labs PWRchekr to keep an eye on your DC rails health. Then a buffered mult, as this borders on the edge of necessary due to new CV destinations. Odessa + expander next, then the NE oscillator, and after that, two MORE oscillators with internal quantization. Then the Moddemix (hence the two new oscillators...you can feed one each as carrier sources to a ring mod, or toss them at each other in a single ring mod). Also, note the quantization on the Twin Waves; it also has a clock input to step the quantizing, so you can use a single clock signal for that while it reads something like an LFO to create all sorts of tesselations. Veils follows for VCAs, then your MUM filter is after that for a mono voice. And there's a stereo mixer after this (which is where the voicing goes to stereo) which allows you to pan/mix all four of the VCAs if necessary. And out the other side of that, I put in a Bastl Ikarie, which is a rather neat stereo state-variable VCF to filter the stereo signal. Last is the Typhoon...note where that is, it's important later.

BOTTOM ROW: Pam's, then a Frequency Central Logic Bomb. Now, since you mentioned wanting to mess with generative methods, that Boolean Logic pair has the ability to generate many screwy/complex patterns from the Pam's, the Steppy, and really, all over the place in this. Then the two following modules are for CV "pickoffs"; the Comparator looks at two incoming values and then sends a gate depending on which signal level is where in relation to each other. And the Derivator is for reading CV movement and sending appropriate gates depending on that. Again, these can ALSO bounce off of the Logic Bomb. Erica PICO RND provides noise and other random outputs for the Pachinko...which is actually a smaller clone of Marbles. I tried using the Mutable module...but it was too big here. After that, a Batumi/Poti combo provides four LFOs, then there's a Frap 321 and Happy Nerding 3xVCA, which makes for a good pair of modulation alteration modules. Then a Quadrax with the Qx expander provides four AR or ASR envelopes. But by combining the LFOs and the EGs via the 321, you get even MORE modulation signals, and then the VCAs can control the amplitude of those. And then...a PROPER mixer. The Toppobrillo Stereomix2 gives you four mono input channels with CV over level, pan, AUX send, a CUE bus, mutes per channel, and a mono-send/stereo-return. Oh, and this is where the headphone preamp is now...PLUS it has the ability to be switched to CUE for spot-tuning, etc on the fly while the rest of the mix bubbles along. And this is why the Typhoon and the effect tile are in that general area...you can run them parallel via the AUX loop, or straight-through from the Stereomix2's outputs to the Typhoon and then to the OUT tile.

Now THAT'S an interesting build. It has generative functions (more than I've mentioned here, in fact), it can be MIDI controlled or not via USB, it has isolated I/O via the case's 1/4" jacks, and the whole thing's shot full of easter egg-ish functions from tandemming modules or functions hiding within modules. So...this is what you can potentially get when you mash the skiffs together and then looking at how to complement ALL of those modules with additions and a few subtractions.

Ahhhh...THERE'S the problem. One of the uMIDI listings was set up by Intellijel...who locked it. The other one (NOT set up by Intellijel) has the actual information.

This is a running MG problem. The only way to fix it (that's doable, really) would be to get into their account and UNlock it. Then it would be possible to change the module's status, but any sensible Internet site like MG doesn't go around hacking into user accounts. Other solutions are apparently much more complex and could screw things up. Ultimately, it comes down to makers paying more attention to what's technically THE modular database online. Hell, Arturia even posts the website's link in their synth manuals!

Sweetwater has the Intellijel MIDI 1U, but not the µMIDI 1U, its predecessor, which is indeed discontinued. It's possible the OP wants the µMIDI 1U for some reason (cost?). Or maybe it's just that it's not marked as discontinued on ModularGrid.

Ok so here’s the problem child I have created. These are the modules I currently own and I will build into a larger enclosure. My plan is to create nasty bass and leads that I can sample into my deluge to start until I learn more and progress. I have a Keyboard I plan on using but I’m also very interested in the generative aspect of the modular equipment. Thanks for all the input!

ModularGrid Rack

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1778679.jpg

Reverb's a good choice. Other places I would suggest are Thomann, Schneidersburo, Detroit Modular, Noisebug (used stuff). Or you could just skip all of that and go with Sweetwater...which DOES have these in stock.

I use a Zoom ST-224 Sampletrak, myself. Nice device, can run a number of loops without synchronization of different lengths, ergo I use it for backdrops. The constantly varying VLF and shortwave noises throughout this work are all running on the Zoom: https://daccrowell.bandcamp.com/track/umi-no-kami-ni-kansha

Other than that, which is pretty different from looping as shown here, I do all of the rhythmic loopwork in Ableton Live. And theoretically, there's several other devices in here that can also serve as looping devices, and technically I can get signals from the modular "sandbox" to the other side of the room for control (if I don't use MIDI SYSEX for it, that is).

I'm also in the "study phase" of a work that's more for installation purposes which will use my Akai S6000 to play numerous LONG loops, ala "Music for Airports," but more complex in timbral diversity. I don't think I can get that working until I refit the sampler with a Gotoh or Nalbantov FD-to-digital media device, as the longest loops here will be up to around 10 minutes, and these add-on devices enable storage in the hundreds of gigabytes.

this user has left ModularGrid

I am waiting for this and Volkmire Inferno.

Saving up for one or the Cloud Terrarium that has a color screen and better user interface.

Nicely done!

Bump to keep this on people's radar, I haven't been on top of things as much this year, but ping to my list from last year @Exposure, @defragmenteur, @Rassell, @mowse, @sacguy71, @funbun, @aphew_goodman, @zuggamasta, @farkas, @yalivec, @GarfieldModular, @mog00, @wishbonebrewery, @the-erc, @cyberneticOhm, and anyone else I'm forgetting...

In Europe it's in stock in a few stores (e.g. musicstore.de, martin pas in italy). Don't know where you are located. Probably you'll find it used, too. Like here on MG Marketplace (right on the module's info page below the description) or on Reverb.com, eBay maybe...

This is an attempt to design a Mono > Stereo Snd/Rtn + Dry/Wet & Pan Control patch. Haven’t tried it, but I think it works:

Audio Signal path: Oscillator > Filter > Splits to Dry/Wet (Snd/Rtn)
Dry (Snd) Audio Signal path: Filter > Panner > VCA_1 (Left) &VCA_2 (Right) > Stereo Mixer_1 > Output Mixer
Wet (Rtn) Audio Signal path: Filter > VCA_3 > Mixer* > FX > Stereo Mixer_2 > Output Mixer
Fx’s balance pot is always fully Wet because Dry follows another path*
Dry/Wet (Snd/Rtn) is now controlled by Attenuator’s pot:
Dry/Wet (Snd/Rtn) Balance: Attenuator > Splits to control Dry/Wet (Snd/Rtn)
Dry (Snd): Attenuator > VCA_1+2 (inverted)
Wet (Rtn): Attenuator > VCA_3
Panner’s pot controls L/R for the Dry signal

More voices can be Snd/Rtn to Fx by the same way.

*According to my tests Fx inputs are Stereo only for the Dry Signal. For the Wet Signal they are summed to Mono. Therefore, and as the Fx is always fully Wet Fx’s inputs doesn’t have to be Stereo. A Mono Mixer will have the same results.

[Updated: Click on image.]

Those new panels are dope

I 🤔 think it would be ever more amazing if the wave edit program was higher wavesamples piston Honda would handle this no problem and Kermit also, the reason being , when randomizing waves it tends to put out a lot of duff cycles and 256 kind of hard to get an idea of the shape and renoise tends to help with editing the samples so higher quality all round makes more sense to me

Any news on a release date yet ?

This will be the current state of this skiff as soon as the Doepfer A-130-8 Octal Linear Amplifier arrives for installation. Using it with my Mother Brutron rig and other things listed previously:

ModularGrid Rack

ModularGrid Rack

I've checked every single site I know of and µMIDI 1U is OUT OF STOCK! ON EVERY SINGLE SITE! I'm trying to get this dude but I can't even press a single button that starts with "Add to". Any more sites I could try?

I like the 4ms Dual Looping Delay

I'm not sure that everyone realizes the very real exploratory limitations of the palette-as-instrument.

@farkas Correct, as @Lugia can attest. (I'm starting to think that pallettes only exist for YT videos...)

That said, Mylar does have a point about using loopers with modular. It allows you to add more layers to your sound without taking up as much space as more modules. (The exception, of course, is Mylar's setup.)

So it looks like sound-on-sound/looper modules are the way to go:
* 1010 BitBox
* Make Noise Morphagene
* ALM Squid Salmple
* Etc.

What modules do you guys use?

Yeah, I'll step in to sing the praises of MylarMelodies as well. I've probably learned more useful information about modular from his videos and podcast than all of the forums out there combined. The generosity and modesty of his wisdom and humor is apparent if you look past a "clickbait" title on a single video. I'm not a big fan of the tiny palette videos out there, but I also understand that for a lot of people, modular is not a lifestyle but a hobby and a curiosity. These are just videos to show what can be done with a more modest investment, though I'm not sure that everyone realizes the very real exploratory limitations of the palette-as-instrument.
Mylar is the man. Respect where it's due.

very nice! kind of dark but still with an uplifting vibe:)
-- Audhentik

Thank you a lot ! Yes dark but with some hope :)

Oh yes, can’t wait! Good chance to set up the iPad to continuously record and pick out some good parts later 😀💪

Already excited to hear what everyone sends in this year.

@Lugia I'm glad to see you fired up as usual 🤣 but I must step in to defend our dear friend Mylar. He tends to be super transparent, loves breaking down patches and sharing ideas, and is overall a credit to the community. I think if you watched that generative vid for example you'd come away with an appreciation for someone who's trying to make things accessible without dumbing it down too much. Give it a shot in the Christmas spirit ;p

Generative patches are ones which have a LOT of crossmodulation and internal patch alteration in order to generate non-repeating patterns across SEVERAL voices so that the synth is spinning out a sonic result that is in constant flux.

@Lugia Wow. Did not know. Many thanks from a grateful noob.

Sounds great ambience!

I am down for it and plan to record some new modular tracks by year end.

Thanks Lugia here is the updated case:

ModularGrid Rack

This ends purchases for a while and will focus now on mastering my gear and recordings.

The Intellijel OUT that's at the left end.

Thanks Lugia!

By output tile what module do you mean? I will get a 1u dual VCA as well.

About the only thing that I would suggest is to move the output tile to the right end. This shortens the length of internal wiring needed to connect it with the 1/4" jacks, which helps avoid induced noise from your power electronics. Then another tile to add might be Intellijel's Dual VCA, so that you can have CV control over the output, putting that right next to the output.

Just like last year (album here!, forum post here and here) it's time to let the community shine a little bit and compile everybody's favorite tracks of 2021. So, if you're a member of the forum and have posted a tune in the last year, or even if you're totally new and just want to throw something into the mix, let me know and we'll get this thing put together. All tracks are welcome, pick something you've made that's interesting or that speaks to you or shows what you've learned since you picked this all up, say hello here so we can coordinate, and we'll highlight you and bring everyone a bit more attention for 2022.

I know things are a bit crazy out there at the moment, but this forum continues to be a bright spot for me personally and I'm excited to put together another cool album of everyone's tunes :)

Hi Jim,

Normally in most cases I would agree however, I am also planning to use it to sequence my other small cases (Endorphin.es Shuttle System) and ALM Busy Circuits Super Coupe that do not have sequencers. So I need a way to sequence many other small cases that lack sequencers. But as always, I am open to recommendations of course.

d'y not think the eloquencer and black sequencer in such as small case is a bit of overkill?

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I was able to find a small LFO and envelope generator to complete my travel 7u techno case:
ModularGrid Rack

Thoughts? I have the essentials covered like quad VCA, attenuators/offset, FX, LFOs and envelopes and my audio sources and sequencers. At this point it should be able to stand alone or use with my two portable cases that also have modulation and support tools.

I can attest to what Lugia says and the smallest I could make a useful bit of kit was a 4u Intellijel 104 HP palette case and even then was challenging but used a large module Queen of Pentacles that has filter, 7 drum voices, and effects built in as my main sound source and most other modules are support modules. Then my other small setup is a 7u Intellijel case with mostly sequencers and support modules. I love having a monster case that really helps for larger modules.

Thanks @Lugia, yes that will be my next step, to re-run some of the cabling and try to distribute the draw more evenly across the 4 PSUs. Fingers crossed this will help!

hey there,
I've bought Arbhar 3 weeks ago and wanted to share my first patches i did with it. At the moment i mostly use it in reverb mode and to record different stuff, layering it etc just to play it back. Still have to check out the delay and stereo mode in depth and want to try some different things when i use it as a wavetable oscillator. These patches are all Ambient, hope you like it!

Ah, OK. Big Thanks.
I thought the Jacks maybe assigned / configured at the application layer. Moving on

beautiful patch! really love it:) thx for sharing

Yup...the rule goes something like this: "Always go with a cab (on MG or in real life) that you KNOW is too large...because in all likelihood, it's not." Going with a bigger cab from the start allows you to have better ergonomics, too. While people with small skiffs packed with tiny knobs struggle to control their rigs, someone with a bigger case can have bigger modules, and bigger modules = better ergonomics. When you want that filter sweep, you DON'T want to kick up the LFO speed, change VCO tunings, and other set-ruining nonsense that could be avoided...you just want that sweep!

very nice! kind of dark but still with an uplifting vibe:)

Gee-whillikers! I don't have a looper sitting with my modular, so I guess I'm just not hip and with it anymore.

Bollocks. OK, let's dig into what's going on here...

Why look, he's using a little skiff, so those must be the way to go...right? So...look more carefully, and you'll notice a couple of stompboxes, some additional things (including an Apex tile...uncased, far right) and the RC-505. Said RC-505 also has internal FX, too. So the synth isn't exactly doing what it's capable of alone. The patch is also difficult to sort out, mainly due to slinging patch cables all over the place so that you (and quite possibly, the presenter) can't really tell how things are routed.

Also, one of the links in the "more videos" bar shows the same little Intellijel skiff used for...generative? Maybe so, but probably not. Generative patches are ones which have a LOT of crossmodulation and internal patch alteration in order to generate non-repeating patterns across SEVERAL voices so that the synth is spinning out a sonic result that is in constant flux. Doing this in a tiny skiff is just not going to cut it; it would be the equivalent of hooking up a noise source to a sample and hold to a VCO and saying that that was "generative".

And therein lies another problem. If there was sufficient space in that Palette, the YouTuber would do FAR BETTER by fitting a Bitbox, Squid Salmple, STS, GXN, Rample, and so on into the cab because those can be directly controlled/modulated by sources within the build itself. But there's NOT...so we get to deal with a big, clunky Boss box that takes up about as much space as...

...wait for it...

...another Eurorack case. WHYYYYYYYYY!?!?!?!?!

OK, I'll calm down. But also, the thumbnail for this YT clips screams "clickbait", and that alone should be sufficient warning. If someone on YT has something SUBSTANTIAL to post, they won't need clickbait to get attention for it. When I talk about NOT paying attention to YouTube for your information...this sort of thing is PRECISELY what I'm talking about.

174BPM

Bloom Ch 1 - simple 4 note minor Do Re Me Fa sequence into LEAD input on Chord. Branches turned up manually to 4 part way in. Path moved around a bit.

Bloom Ch 2 - simple control of Chord's chord changes from i to v. Clock triggered S&H (via Pam's) turns the Voicing knob to create the cascading chords partway through (physically plugged it in).

Maths Ch 1 used for EG on SE VCA for Lead VCO from Chord Gate 1 output. Ch 2 for EG on SE VCA 2 to create snare sound from ModBox noise output.

Chord Mix out to Neutron VCF in -> VCA in ->SE Mixer. Gate 2 from Chord into Neutron EG1.

Mixer - 1. Snare(ModBox Noise) 2. Kick (Moog VCO/VCF/EG/VCA) 3. Lead from Chord (via Maths/SE VCA) 4. Mix from Chord (via Neutron)

Pams:
1. x1 gate for kick
3. /2 gate for snare. Euclidean used to rotate to 2+4.
4. Reset for Bloom with trigger set at stop (doesn't really work quite right)
5. x1 gate for s&h trigger in ModBox to trigger movements in Chord's Voicing input
6. x1 gate for Mimeophon clock
7. x1 gate for Bloom clock

Mimeophone L/R outputs to external mixer/PT.