Hi Gabor,

Great track and great camera position, nice to see you at work! Light? I am totally okay with it, sounds great! What is that device you are operating around/between 0:46 and 0:49, some effects device, but which one?

Ha, ha, the sound that kicks in around 2:33 is great, nice variation! Thanks a lot for sharing with us and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

I flew with it a couple time as a carry-on so I could be the one manhandling it. It was light enough and small enough to not be a problem.

We are launching this module. Maby you would like it. It is a high resolution wavetable oscillator. Very nice to reproduce complexe textures.
More demo are about to be released.. Tomorow

This is the Dimension voice mode. It this mode you can morph in 25 differents wavetables in the same time. I think it is kind of a unique feature in high resolution wavetables formats. ( dont know any software doing it neither )

It is not 25 waveforms, it is 25 wavetable of each 256 waveforms, so 6400 waveforms morphing :)

As you would need a gate output to enjoy the midi fully, i would see things like this

Minimal expension module ( 2hp )
- Midi Trs in
- Midi gate out ( to trigger enveloppes )
- ... any suggestion ?

Maximal expension module > 2hp
- Midi Trs In ( Thru ? )
- Gates... 1, 2 ,3 4
- Separated voices outputs ( i mean 4 not 24. so you would get max 6 unisons voice per output )

I could definitevely add a port at back of the module to make this append next.

But adding midi as the module is ( 10Hp ). I dont see usecase it would be nice except making it a synth voice, and it is not the goal. Tell me if you do not agreee

@ParanormalPatroler,

Sorry missTyped, i mean, for the REST of the system. If you plug your midi in the module, no gate are shown anywhere else so if your module is not a complete voice it is useless.

No there is no amplitude control implented in the module yet as it is a oscillator, not a VCA. Or you would also need a filter etc... this is not the goal here... but to get a massive wavetable oscillator with high resolution wavetable.

@Ronin1973
It think adding a expension would be a good idea as well. But we remain with the problem i said.

What will you do with 24 voices panned on a stereo without a "gate" from midi somewhere ? And if you do VCA, you also need Filter, and everything and the module become a complete voice.

I did also thinked about the poly control when was designing the Dimension but i was not able to respond these questions...

I have an FH2 and is great and you can get lots of expanders for additional CV and triggers. The configuration web page is old-school, but if you set-up a few presets you can save these as configurations that you can load pretty easily. You definitely don't want to use the module for configuration, best to use the UI for configuring a bunch of presets and use the module to load them based on what you are trying to do, (I have a couple depending on whether I am using it for CV, different clocks, envelopes and triggers etc.)

The Expert Sleeper FH2 offers a lot of functionality as far as a USB MIDI to CV converter. You can use your DAW... OR... any standard MIDI controller. However, you'll find programming it or changing the settings from the front panel to be a real pain. Programming it from your computer using the a web-browser isn't so bad. But to make changes using your computer, you'll probably have to quit the DAW so the web browser can take control of the MIDI device from the DAW.

you can definitely get a bunch of guitar effects on the cheap (eurorack can be expensive, but pretty much everything eurorack is),

This thread has a lot of great FX discussion as well

this user has left ModularGrid

For dual filters I really like Rossum Morpheus Z Plane Filter and IME/Harvestman Bionic Lester as there are tons of sound shaping options and ability to even create presets for fast recall later.

I have Quadrax and the expander. Loads of fun and super powerful. Takes some time to learn but a great modulation tool.

Perhaps consider support utilities like a sequential switch and matrix mixer at some point. I use these utiltiies more in complex patches now. They cost less than shiny voice modules as well.

Braids and Plaits were mentioned. Also almost any wavetable voice would work. By changing the "index" in the wavetable synth you can get very nice timbral changes without doing a lot of work to get them. The same with Braids and Plaits as far as adjusting the timbre.

With an analog VCO (saw, triangle, square, etc.), you'll need a lot more modules to get any deep changes to the timbre. That can be a lot more expensive and an lot more room in your case.

Hi, this is not planned for this version of the module.

-- Ziqal

Major deal breaker. I would really rethink this before pulling the trigger on a production run. Even if you have to offer MIDI inputs on a 2HP expansion board, do it. I would choose a competing product over yours based on this factor.

@Ziqal You've already found a solution for #1. I don't get #2, can you explain what the "reset of the system" means? Am I right to assume that you're firing internal envelopes to control the "voices amplitutes etc" ?

My $0.02.

If you're comfortable using non-Eurorack effects from pedals, your DAW, rackmount, or any other source... do that. Generally, they are MUCH less expensive. If you can get what you want... cool.

Where Eurorack effects show their strength are in the 3.5mm modulation jacks populating all those good-good effects modules. That's really what makes them worth paying for. If you can get a nice Eurorack delay module, a nice reverb module (or spring reverb set-up), and then a multi-FX unit to cover everything else... I think you're golden. Any specialty effects like Clouds are nice too. But the costs start to stack up. :)

Very cool. I ordered the Livestock Electronics Maze switch and will post review once it arrives and I have some time getting it sorted out. I also ordered more utilities like a Hikari Quad Switch and also a Joranalogue Compare 2 Dual Window Comparator since Lugia had suggested to me that a comparator would spice up my patches for my MDLR setup with Hertz Donut and Trident. Perfect Circuit has a good Halloween sale right now and these are hard to find in stock so I jumped on the deal. At least support modules are less expensive than fancy oscillators and sequencers! My MDLR case was lacking these things. I still need a good quantizer but will wait for Shakmat to release their quad quantizer or may get the Instruo quantizer next year at some point as my Stillson Hammer has a pretty weak quantizer and my case needs one.

I have u-he (love their soft synths, zebra is a beast) CVilization, lots of great cv mangling utilities, though takes some getting used to to memorize the various modes and color encoders.

Check out their youtube for some good overview tutorials, here is one of the options that can be enabled.

matrix rotation

merry that with a worng vector space and you have lots of cv mangling fun.

Thanks Nick! Yeah that looks cool and affordable. For under $200 very reasonable as well.

Tanks @toodee

Two things come to my mind

1. If i add TRS i would need to take ride of the sync input, wish is usefull for reseting oscillateur phases when unison ( very cool effect). But I could also reset the phase with a note on event of the midi input wish also make sense and maby even more.

2. If you plug a TRS in the module and start playing, how do you get the "note on / gate" information for the reset of the system ? Because it seam to be a absolute need to control voices amplitudes etc

I use Boredbrain INTRFX works great as an effects send/return loop even excepts cv control.

@ParanormalPatroler What do you mean by type A ?
-- Ziqal

How TRS MIDI Works
Many MIDI instruments, effects, and modules now support MIDI over smaller “minijack” connectors, but their implementations > vary:

Type A (now the MIDI standard)
e.g.: Korg, Make Noise
Type B
e.g.: Arturia, Novation
TS sometimes called Type C or Non-TRS
e.g.: Expert Sleepers, Beatstep (Original), MFB

--- Voltage control all the things ---

Thanks for the case tips!

Arjan from 2 Many Synths is currently making some custom synth side panels for me. He also makes eurorack cases, so I'll see what options he has to offer as well.

I am quite accustomed to lugging stuff to gigs. I play drums and percussion in a classical orchestra and some pieces require TONS of stuff to play all the drum scores a composer has written. And you can't just have all that equipment on the floor during the performance as a certain kind of pomp and circumstance is usually required, so you'll haul all sorts of tables and drum stands to the concert hall as well.

Making electronic music is more for my personal enjoyment, but if it ever comes to performing modular synth gigs, I will get a specific case for that job and I can put the modules required for the performance there. So ideally I'd have two cases: one for a fixed setup at home and one that is designed for mobility and quick setup at gigs.

this one is a little bit on the light side

I am inspired by birth, death and the events inbetween.

https://youtube.com/@aphewgoodman

@ParanormalPatroler What do you mean by type A ?

Really nice - has me wondering how to make something similar on my system ...

Just make sure it's type A and I'm onboard. Being able to take advantage of the full polyphony is important.

But like i said, i did not concentrate forces on chords operations for now. ( it can evoluate latter )

I did focus more on the sound, morphing quality, anti aliazing, wave processing algo, user interface etc.

But it is not impossible the module will add a midi trs ( sync input ) in futur...

@ParanormalPatroler i have forseen a way to do it as the sync input is capable of serial midi decoding. But it is not yet implemented. So i can implement it later adding a (midi voices mode) yes.

@Ziqal so there is no way to control the different voices separately other than the on-board chord options? Man, that's a big deal-breaker, at least for me. I'd be ok with just MIDI pins on the back, there are passive workarounds. It's too bad I wasn't aware of this design earlier, I would've pitched the idea to you when the PCB was still in design.

Looking forward to more demos I guess.

@lugia
also the module output is stereo so why would you need 24 filter or VCA you only need two :)
The 24 voices unison are also pannable on L/R outputs ( yes CV controlable )

Hello,

@lugia

the module is not suppose to offer full polyphony with splited output. It is made to generate complexe timbers based on Serum formats wavetable. A TFT miniature full color display is on the module so i can garanty you ll be aware of what is going on through it's interface. (More demo/reviews are coming)

The module bring a lot of digital processing power in 10Hp and play high resolution wavetables "2048 samples per waveforms, this bring a whole new range of sonic texture. (The only module yet that do it is the 1v/oct one) And philosophy is very different. Voices a made to produce very fat stereo unison or/and chord (1voices chords)

So the chord mode is realy not the thing the module offer the best...

So the module is a on steroid oscillator, not a ensemble oscillators. Also the module allow morphing between 25 differents wavetables of 256 waveforms. It make 6400 waveformes availables in CV. I think it is unique

Tanks for your feedback, i definitvely have to add our location on the website.

We are from Belgium

Not sure if this is on your radar yet or not: Future Sound Systems pin matrix, it's even 20% off currently at Perfect Circuit: https://www.perfectcircuit.com/fss-mtx9a.html

@GarfieldModular, this demo sounds great! Thanks for posting .... $#@&, now I want one of these!

Thanks @77or88, I had no idea those trogotronic cases existed! They look pretty badass and roadworthy.

Do you fly with your m202? If so do you pack it in something with more padding or take it as is? I cringe some at the thought of a fine instrument being handled by airport luggage handling.

question for @mog00 and anyone else using pedals, how are you integrating these into your Eurorack setup and/or broader setup? I love pedals too, but haven't yet integrated them in my Eurorack chain and/or DAW chain, it would be great to make that linkage.

https://www.trogotronic.com/product-category/cases/

I have the m202 and it travels amazingly well.

I think the one thing about clouds ( haven’t tried beads) is that it does seem to take some work to get the most out of it, though sometimes I just use it for the reverb. I have had some success with the parasites firmware if you have it you might want to give that a go the resonator is nice and the additional miverb mode is also worth a go.

I love all effects the more the merrier, I love pedals

Pedals,
Chase Bliss moods
Walrus Julianna
Fairchild Shallow Water
Death by audio Rooms

Euro
FX aid XL
Desmodus stereo reverb
Ruina stereo distortion
Uburst (clouds clone)

On my watch list
Mimephone
Vermona Retroverb Lancet spring reverb

Mix and match with bored brains intrfx

All good depending on the patch all provide endless sound design and cross patching.

Hi folks,

As my modular journey continues, I am thinking about a mobile-friendly rig, particularly one that would also be flight friendly

IMO a flight friendly case might include:
-- a case designed for flights / shipping, and/or
-- a case that will fit well in a suitcase for flights / shipping, and/or
-- a case that fits inside a dedicated flight container

My ideal flight friendly Eurorack case would be:
-- significant HP: over 200HP and ideally over 300HP
-- not crazy heavy or a pain to handle / move / carry. I realize HP capacity, flight protection, and weight are likely tradeoffs

Any ideas / recommendations?

I'm thinking my Eurorack setup is going to become more central to my music, and I'd love to have my rig be a travel friendly instrument.

Thanks everyone!

Wow, all these comments came in and I didn't get any notices about it! Well thanks for the input, I'll be digging into comments / suggestions above more soon.

Any further ideas are of course welcomed!

There'll be a point at which the Lehle will start blocking the signal until, by the time you're at DC, it won't pass anything. And actually, the DC on outputs thing with the 2600 goes back to the beginning, as ARP figured that if you wanted to use the 2600 for something of a complex modulation source, you'll need those to be DC-coupled. Smart...but a tad annoying.

Now, how that "stereo" crossfader gets used is interesting. One method is to use it to send a rather complex patch to either the left or right, this then leaves the opposite external output free for routing a lead line. You can also use the stereo out inputs in conjunction with the electronic switch, to create something that abruptly flicks from left to right and back. And so on...like pretty much the entire unit, there's stuff you can explore for weeks at a time and STILL only scratch the surface.

Hi Lugia,

Thanks a lot for the additional information, much appreciated! :-) Yeah the LFO and also the S&H possibilities I have to check further, I had at one time some kind of interesting rhythm out of that, on the other hand I feel it's pretty difficult to get that nicely under control meaning that one still can listen (pleasantly) to the sound, quite a challenge ;-)

Stupid question perhaps but I really don't want to blow or even damage my monitors, with that DC filter in place and let's say really going (far) below the 20 or 30 Hz line, are you sure that's not going to harm the monitors in any way? I don't have money left to get a new pair ;-) I guess keeping the gain at a reasonable mild level should help protecting them?

I am abroad now but once back into my basement studio, I will check it out and experiment a bit more with that, thanks a lot! Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

I've got a few FX modules in synths...

The B.2600 has the digital reverb, although I've heard that there's some potential mods for the FX chip.
My AE system has several: phaser, mid-fi delay, two spring reverbs (with different tanks) and their take on the Spin FV-1.
The Digisound has their BBD-based reverb.
Then there's all of the various widgets that are part of the Field Kit and Field Kit FX.
The modular setup here also has its own 1/4" patchbay for routing and the like, but this also gives access to a Korg SDD3300 (triple delay line unit) and a Zoom 9120, plus four channels of Symetrix gates.

As for the rest of the FX...I ain't gonna type THAT out. There's about 100+ U of very filled processor racks here.

Not only do the VCOs go below 30 Hz, you actually have a pitch continuum right on through the LFO settings. After switching to LFO from OSC, run the COARSE tuning up to where it matches (more or less) what you had at the bottom of the OSC mode...then head for the basement! This is super-useful, btw...the ability to sort out scalar intervals in the subsonic and modulation ranges simply by using the keyboard is something majorly important. Ever since Stockhausen's "Kontakte" and the "magic moment" in it where he shows how the scalar continuum extends across the pitch - rhythm gap and then can even make SLOWER "pitches" in the periodic ranges by using the individual pulses to ping a filter, having the ability to simply PLAY that continuum was (and kinda still is!) a big deal.

Hi @Ziqal, do you have any plans of adding a TRS MIDI input or an expansion, even via pins on the back, in order to take advantage of the 24 voice polyphony fully? Preset chords isn't going to cut it, that's why I'm asking.
-- ParanormalPatroler

Hi, this is not planned for this version of the module.

-- Ziqal

That's probably going to be a problem, then. It's all well and good to have 24 oscillators under a single control, but if this is supposed to truly be polyphonic (paraphonic, actually...who's going to have 24 identical VCFs for that, plus the module doesn't have 24 discrete outputs), it has to do MUCH MORE than preset chord noodling.

I also don't see any way to blow the Serum wavetables into the module aside of putting them on an SD and then loading from that. Nothing particularly novel about that.

This strikes me as being rather vapor-ish. For one thing, where's Ziqal located? I didn't see that info anywhere on the website, even on the order and "about" pages. If I'm going to drop some moolah on a module, I might also want to know where it'll be shipped from so that I can roughly determine how long shipping will take. This also doesn't seem to be designed for the claimed 24-voice polyphony. The panel doesn't show any way to determine chords, nor any way to change them through simply adding a few switches to implement added notes and then having a clearly-obvious chordal table (clearly obvious because live gigs often happen at darkly-lit venues, and you NEED to be able to see what you're doing) for quick chordal switching. Have a look at this: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/qu-bit-electronix-chord-v2 Now, with that, the chordal switching and results are CLEARLY available to the user, and the module clearly has the necessary circuitry needed to address the module's polyphony, down to individual outs for the chordal pitches. It can easily handle inversions, extracts lead lines, shows the chord's modal structure, and the like.

In short, you guys might want to go back to the drawing board on this. Sorry to say, but compared to Qu-bit's and other polyVCO offerings, this isn't going to cut it.

Hi TumeniKnobs, Farkas and Lugia,

Thank you very much, much honoured by your comments :-)

Yeah, it's indeed a bit pity that it got a Behringer logo on it, otherwise it's a great instrument. It's kind of addictive, once I start to play with it I just can't stop any more, keep on having fun with it, trying to get the most out of that filter and it provides me at certain times a bit that kind of old-days-JM-Jarre feeling, great, I love it!

Lugia, I am glad I followed up on your advice, I bought together with this 2600 that Lehle DC filter, so the stereo output (bit of a fake stereo isn't it? Or do I miss there something other than that pan slider?) goes into the stereo (!) Lehle DC filter input and the stereo Lehle DC filter output goes then to the mixer. Makes me sleep better at night and while playing I am a bit less worried about smoking up my new monitors, still the 2600 can do scary things that I sometimes feel quite pity for my monitors that they have to handle such signals ;-)

The 2600 does go under 30 or likely even under 20 Hz if you let it go! I can't see the details on my graphical EQ on the mixer, because it just dives too deep. The above track is best to be listened on a pair of good monitors and subwoofer(s). On my HiFi installation it doesn't sound as powerful and clear as on my monitors. I guess that tells me something about the "quality" of my HiFi installation ;-)

Thanks a lot for listening and kind regards, Garfield.

And if you're NOT up for lugging the modular around to gigs, then you might find THIS useful: https://www.addacsystem.com/en/products/frames-and-power/addac901m-monster-frames/addac901m-21u-monster-frame

As a fixed setup, it doesn't get hardly any better than this. Crazy-stoopid depths for super-deep modules, HUGE power capabilities (20 AMPS!) and even with shipping from Lisbon, it'll still come in cheaper than the 4-row Doepfer Monster. They also have a somewhat more sane 15U @ 197 hp cab, plus you can also get a 2U double rack "crown" which would be pretty useful for housing a pile of tiles...both Intellijel AND Pulplogic, depending on what tile frames you use.

Hi Gumbo23,

This is a beautiful, calm and lovely ambient track. Just what I need after a day of hard work!

Thank you very much for sharing this with us, you saved my day :-) Kind regards, Garfield.

Tearin' up, yep! Exactly what you'd expect from a 2600 in the right hands. I had much the same reaction to my "Xmas Tree" model...the form factor kept reminding me that this was a NEW synth, but I swear that it sounds like you'd expect a pretty new "Orange" to sound back at the end of the 1970s. Until, of course, you flip the filter over to the rev.2 4012...yow!!!

Frankly, the sole problem I've had with my Behringer 2600 is that word right there: Behringer. I (and others) would feel better about this if Tribe would just find a way to get Uli to behave and not steal things (coughcoughPlaitscough).

Excellent comment Sweelinck!

Or just go with a MIDI -> clock interface. One that I'd suggest would be Ladik's M-221...it's got an onboard clock divider as well as various gate/trigger functions for when the interface receives transport control signals. Plus, it's a whopping $80!