Oh thanks a lot for the topic! It reminds me I should set everything to private because I really have to clean up my racks, it's such a mess. But you know how it is, tidying up, we keep putting it off... Yet I can almost feel the dust between the pixels. Fortunately, the cat is there to keep the mice away :)

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

Forgetting utilities, modulation sources, etc. is a very common mistake at the beginning. When we think about our dream house, we are mainly focused on the living room, the bedrooms, the kitchen, the bathroom... Corridors, doors, staircases and closets are less of a dream.

I can only recommend here modules that I use and appreciate:
Buff Mult (buffered multiple), A-180-2 (passive multiple), Sinc Defero (buffered quad attenuator), A-160-2 (clock/trigger divider), A-151 (sequential switch), CalTrans (calibrator and transposer), Booster Stage (amplifier to eurorack systems), Mutes (multi channel mute), Disting mk4 (multifunction module), Listen IO (input/output interface)...

I am French. I have a deep love for French culture and language.
But I try to translate my posts into English as a courtesy to others.

If I understand what you mean by 'opinionated design', Data Bender seems to fit. It is a module that can be very soft or very hard, but its opinions are always very personal :)

High quality delay. Freshly baked, and placed in a boxe designed to keep the audio signal safe and warm... Nessun problema, signore!

Don’t worry, I won’t buy it. I save my bucks for Marilyn’s NEW Rehearsal.

Thread: Rackbrute 6U

Pico & The Final Frontier

Pico MScale
‘The module is not limited for use with Moog Mother-32 only. You can use it as a regular eurorack precision voltage scaler': https://www.ericasynths.lv/media/Pico_Mscale_manual_v2.pdf
- Useful? Yes. For the scale difference -5V +5V / 0V +10V
- Essential? No. Because the pitch of the note can be adjusted by the frequency of the destination sound source.
- Tip: start without it and decide later.
- Testimony: my MScale has made the round trip between case and drawer several times. It is currently on holiday...

Mother-32
There are a few constants among modularists:
- A passion for exploring sound.
- The temptation to acquire new modules.
- Their need for space to house all those modules.

So if you want to, leave your Mother-32 in the RackBrute, but you may soon hear the call of the big spaces.

Modularists are pioneers at heart ('Go West! Young Man'), gold diggers, conquering sound: 'To explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before!

That's why their cases are never large enough.

And this ‘little’ Stereo Krell by Todd Barton using the new Tiptop Buchla Quad Lopass Gate Model 292t...
Wonderful.

Congratulations on your piece.

Below, a historical example of the hoquetus technique: 'Hoquetus David' by Guillaume de Machaut (14th century), vocal version. A beautiful interpretation and a video in which one can visualise the alternation specific to this technique. There are also many instrumental versions.

First, turn on the headlights:
ModularGrid Rack

Then forget about this setup. Sorry, I don't have the strength of @JimHowell1970, or some others, to explain things in detail. And there would be too much to say.

In exchange, if techno is your thing, this rather famous tutorial from mylarmelodies; you'll find more on YouTube. I sincerely hope that this will help you.

I would add that things seem a bit dry here. So for ambient especially, but also techno, one might think of supplementing with a little effect like Pico DSP, FX Aid, or Desmodus Versio?

Remove the version with the black panel from your rack, and click on the version you prefer in the module page: it will be directly added to the rack.

For my part, just a 24HP suggestion chosen for playability and adaptability.

Though at that price you could buy a TR-8S, plus premium cables, and even (being 18 years of age or over - and to consume in moderation) a nice selection of beers from our friend Wishbone Brewery ;)

Personally, I did opt for a mix because I think it’s a good solution: external drum machines (including the ADX-1, TR-707, and a DrumBrute Impact that sounds great and is perfectly suited to live performance), with some ‘percussion’ modules of course.

ModularGrid Rack

That sounds pretty good! And the demo track is very cool: somewhere between Daho and Kraftwerk... Nostalgia.
8 voice polyphonic, multiengine, sample playback, FXs... Impressive.

Ça sonne plutôt bien! Et le morceau de démo est très cool : quelque part entre Daho et Kraftwerk... Nostalgie.
8 voix polyphoniques, multi-moteurs, lecteur d'échantillons, FXs... Impressionnant.

Yes, exactly. You can think of the 4 mono channels as 2 stereo processing tools, each one in order to get a control on ‘real’ stereo panning and / or stereo balance.
Ex: Morphagene left out > A-138s in1 / Morphagene right out > A-138s in2
Or: Monsoon left out > A-138s in1 / Monsoon right out > A-138s in2

Because you need the stereo image of a sample in Morphagene or that of the reverb from Monsoon to be better positioned in the song, or it can also be too wide. So, apart from controlling the stereo image for artistic purposes, you can use it to get a good (or better) phase correlation. The more you reduce the gap (in other words, the more you tend towards mono), the less you get problems of phase cancellation, especially with the bass spectrum.

(This phenomenon does not occur in headphones because the left-right sound distribution is necessarily separated, but it can dramatically happen in the case of monitor diffusion. The vibrations of the left and right loudspeakers cancelling each other out... and parts of the song sag or disappear!)

In conclusion the A-138s could be one of the best tools for ‘real’ stereo panning and / or stereo balance adjustment, ‘to connect between a stereo source and the main mixing’. And as it seems that you have two (If I refer to your Percussion Row. I have only one but I don't blame you :)) we end up with a great additional... ‘Zero HP'.

Easter really is a beautiful day!

An interesting article around these topics:
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/the-difference-between-stereo-pan-and-stereo-balance

What a thread!

At an affordable price (I have one ;) and it works well :) there is also this: https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Koma-Elektronik-Attenuator-Cable/art-SYN0004623-000

I have to admit that I too was scratching my head when I read 'Zero HP'. But I did a search and finally found at least the cables.
Hmm, you'll have to make some sacrifices: https://hifi-solution.com/en/speaker-cable/1471-dragon-zero-hp.html

Now you still have to find the module, but frankly, all this worries me a bit.

20 minutes of good old Krell madness. I particularly like the solo between 17:00 and 18:00. I didn't understand anything he said, as I don't always understand the Krell language, but he said it so well...

It's remarkable how well this style of music fits with the simple film of the modular in action. The cables and flashing LEDs are Krell.

Only criticism: no black cat! But it's possible that she must have taken refuge under the table, or on top of the cupboard? Cats prefer mice.

Quite similar to Intellijel Audio Interface II, available, cheaper and less HP: 4ms Listen IO (I've been using it for live use for 3 years, and with great satisfaction).

These two modules which are less known, with several inputs/outputs, but of which one says a lot of good: Bubblesound Instruments Booster Stage and Reducer (I have the Booster, perfect to make enter synthesizers or drum machines for example).

Credible and affordable solution: Erica Synths Pico Input and Output.

More sophisticated, more expensive, and probably at the top of the podium: Joranalogue Audio Design Receive 2 and Transmit 2, or the superb ACL Audio Interface.

If you want to multitrack in a software (Logic, Ableton, etc.), you'll have to include the Expert Sleepers solutions: ES-8, ES-9.

Thanks a lot! Vous faites vraiment un excellent travail. Document téléchargé. Congratulations!

In ModWiggler a thread has collected various technical information and development proposals.
Phin Head from Stochastic Instruments responded with great interest, being aware that his module is a future #1.
https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=272539

Since you propose the topic here, I would suggest this rack designed for silent performances (as the underground counterculture had initiated them in the 60s).

ModularGrid Rack

“Fascinating.” - Spock.

If you light your cigar with a banknote, then I would not advise you to :

• Listen to a lot of music produced with modulars.
  • Identify the modules used in the styles of music you prefer.
  • Determine a reasonable budget to start with.
  • Choose a case that is large enough (Mantis, RackBrute 6U, Intellijel 7U, whatever).
  • Make a first selection including some core modules (VCA, VCF, modulation sources, utilities, etc.)
  • Set up your project in ModularGrid and submit it to get tips.
  • And maybe leave your semi-modulars in their own cases...

From experience, you could end up running out of time, or space, or budget. Or all three. Unless you light your cigar with a banknote.

PS: I love your avatar ;)

If you're in Europe and don't mind a silver faceplate, SchneidersLaden is currently offering a 9.71% discount on this ‘paleface’ version.
(A piece of information that will probably conjure up things for @wishbonebrewery ;)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/12056

The first track: a lovely hazy, minimalist ballad.
The second (my favourite): a static contemplation with very interesting, dusty and grating sounds. However I ended up listening to it without watching the video too tiring to my eyes.

Both pieces are like little sound paintings. Hence this recurring question, and which is asked in general. Doesn't the image harm the music a bit too much these days? I think it prevents us from seeing what the sound, the music, is telling us... and it leads the ear to become lazy.

As I recently wrote in Mod Wiggler: ‘I am not afraid of YouTube images but of the laziness of the public’.

My reflection should not make us forget that you have done a good job :)

I'm going to provide additional support to an option already suggested here: the BeatStep Pro.

I know this sequencer quite well. My home studio includes two BSPs used for modular, various synthesizers, including Volcas which sound wonderful but have very limited sequencers, or drum modules like the ADX1 which do not include a sequencer. (I also use sometimes an SQ-1 and a KeyStep, I mention this to further support my suggestion of the BSP).

The BSP is very easy to learn, feature rich (random, swing, tap tempo, pattern chaining, memorize, etc), pleasant to work with (very visual, pads are large and responsive, same for the knobs, no diving menu, etc.), two sequencers plus one drum (gate) sequencer, and to top it all off: an unbeatable price. All of these are reasons why so many modularists use it. I don't even see how Arturia could upgrade it.

This does not prevent the integration of certain types of sequencers (or similar) inside the modular for specific uses. For example, as I’m quite focused on random and stochastic, I must say that the BSP will never replace Marbles (*), Stochastic Inspiration Generator or Bloom, and of course all the modules to create random or other specific things (logic, noise, etc. And weird things as Diode Chaos ;) At last, it will not replace the combinations of modules : patching, is still the first reason for the modular.

I almost forgot one little detail: the BeatStep pro is in stock everywhere. A criterion that will now have to be included more often.

(*) There may be an upgrade path here for Arturia and the BSP: see what has been done since Emilie Gillet's work to create the MicroFreak. But I don’t mean that this is desirable, for various reasons...

I think that the importance of ratings should not be overestimated. The diversity of expectations and experiences obviously brings them a rather subjective character. However, a clear trend, one way or the other, becomes real information if the 'survey' is sufficiently broad.

Pamela's NEW Workout: 4.77 out of 364 votes (this 15 March 2023) is a true indication. Personally, I have not (yet) adopted this module for various reasons. But this information (4.77 out of 364), added to the video demonstrations and various comments tell me that... yes, I might be satisfied if I integrate it into my modular.

The other important information, regardless of the rating, is in the 'why'. Why 4 stars rather than 5, for example. A comment on the rating is just as interesting, and often even more interesting, than the rating itself. That's normally what the forum is for. Even a manufacturer can accept an unfavourable opinion if it is motivated.

On this page you will find information that will surely help you: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/10775

My main dislike of black panel designs: I can’t see the knobs as well.
-- Kaleidic

It's true. As a pianist, I actually prefer a traditional white (ivory) keyboard with black (ebony) keys than the other way round. It's more 'readable'.

To complete the original topic, black or brown wooden piano cases were often multicoloured in the past on... harpsichords. And they were magnificently painted.

However, with the psychedelic movement, some pianos were repainted in the 60s. One of the most famous is Lennon's (painted by Dutch design collective artists The Fool).

Today, these different trends can be found in synthesizers and modules.

A bigger case.

As @JimHowell1970 says 'either start with a bigger case or massively scale back what you are trying to do’.
And as you can see, all the people here will advise you to do the former. We say this with the full knowledge of the facts... and to really save you any frustration afterwards.

Utilities and modulation sources.

Once again, we have to underline this other advice from @JimHowell1970 who, with great laudable persistence, tries to remind the necessity of these modules throughout the pages of this forum; and you know what : he is right!

Can you imagine a film with just a few stars and no supporting cast, no extras, not even a little furniture in the set? This is the unconscious bet and the mistake we all make a little too systematically when we approach the modular synthesizer and in front of all its big stars (Clouds, Rings, Morphagene, Basimilus, Bloom, etc.)

Nothing really important to add to what others have said here.
Modular is a bit like cinema. ModularGrid is not the USC School of Cinematic Arts, or the Ecole Nationale Louis-Lumière. But you've come to the right place. The amateurs and even the less amateurs have almost all passed through the benches of ModularGrid :))
Welcome!

It's not a modular, it's a time machine :))

Like @zuggamasta my use of the modular is more experimental, but I am amazed by this type of achievement. In a way, our world of cables and modules is not far removed from 80s synthpop. There was a kind of fascination with machines.

So: well done!

Hi @Raaf.
Bravo for this first video which is already of an excellent level: the framing, the light, the decor, the typography of the comments (with the arrows, very good :) All this is pleasant. I will also make this small criticism: some long texts are not exposed long enough. On the other hand, your diction, which is quite slow, is an advantage. Some video creators forget this often prohibitive aspect: speed + strong local accent = zapping!
Good luck.
I'm subscribing.

It's a good idea to have a topic that pays tribute to the relational and human qualities of some manufacturers.
I would like to take this opportunity to salute two in particular for their availability and the quality of our exchanges: Xodes (France) and Stochastic Instruments (UK). Without going into detail, I can say that these two sincerely love their work and have a real passion for their products. A passion linked to a deep knowledge of music.
Another thing they have in common (but is it a coincidence?) is their love of animals. This is often an excellent indicator.

There is a simple way to do this: you start by making a selection of modules through the features in the 'My Modular' section.

You choose for example: 1 sequencer, 1 or 2 vcos, 1 drum module, at least 1 vcf, 1 envelope generator, 1 vca, 1 lfo, 1 fx, some utilities like 1 multiple and 1 attenuator, 1 mixer, etc.

Don't be afraid to make a mistake, because it is on this basis that many here will be happy to correct your selection by explaining things to you. Okay?

Personally, I don't care about the colour. I just want it to work. But I have noticed that this 'black panel' phenomenon has been growing and gaining ground for some time.

This 'limited black edition' fashion affects all sectors. An example with this telescopic handler for agriculture... Well, I can understand it here, we see the same trend in cars and motorbikes. But when you find this also for your toilet...

alt text

I am not a guitarist and this description is therefore not of direct concern to me, BUT: your research and this video with the details of the patches really deserve congratulations! The modular synthesizer is exactly this alchemical practice, a search for the transmutation of sounds: from the common to the rare (lead/gold).
The modularist's setup is an achimist's laboratory.
Very nice work!

PS: the result (at 9:08) reminded me of the opening scene of Return of the Jedi where C-3PO and R2-D2 enter Jabba the Hutt's Palace :)) The participation of Wogglebug and Afterneath (a great pedal) is of course not unrelated.

I don't know if you have resolved your question, but SSF DivKid Rnd Step is also an appropriate answer.

There are indeed some very nice things here, like the beats at 1:05, or that unexpected bridge at 2:15 and its subsequent modulation at 2:38. This piece is somewhere between ambient and melodic. As for the video, no problem, we're here for the music first, right?

I would add some granular synthesis. Morphagene, Nebulae, Arbhar, etc. Very good for all styles, especially ambient of course. But it’s a question of sensitivity. Excellent selection of modules otherwise...

When sampling an instrument for tonal music, use the 'cycle of fifths': F, C, G, D, A, E, B, etc. But, as explained above, this assumes the ability to multi-sample...
See this rather complete article on piano sampling: https://audient.com/tutorial/pianosample/

For the rest (e.g. atonal percussion, concrete or experimental music), there is no rule.
But, in a modular, filters, wavefolders, envelopes and vcas, will be very useful :))

@Stratx

For drums and percussions, the possibilities are endless because they depend closely on the musical genres. As the principle of these instruments is basically quite 'physical', it can indeed be a good idea to go for external controllers (as the Beatstep Pro), and even to complete with traditional drum machines. I personnaly use both.

Of course I have reserved some elements inside the modular itself, in relation with the its specific qualities and in order to create more complex drum parts...

So, on the trigger side, I currently use: Marbles, SIG, Varigate (which can be based on chance, a number of steps you determine, and all on several different channels), LB5 (logic module), A-151 (sequential switch), A-160-2; plus Nin (Zadar expander with manual trigs), Ears; and DFAM which has an extreme playability.

But there are also many others possibilities that are popular around pure euclidean sequencers.
As always, a question of taste, priorities and investment :)

Excellent concept, and you form a real duo: we can feel a nice understanding for the benefit of both worlds.
The applications seem to be numerous (Jarre will be jealous, he will call you soon :)

About the setup, some modules could favour a cartoon spirit (I think of Morphagene, Data Bender), and controllers (like joysticks, or surfaces like LP1lightplane, Tetrapad), for you to test...

Nice work guys! / Beau travail les mecs !

@wishbonebrewery

Back on MG. I'm a bit late...
But among the things that hold my attention here, there are these relaxed tracks from the Wishbonebrewery :))

So, another piece that doesn't lack charm (even if sometimes a little bit long; honestly, I stopped after 23 minutes, but I had a pleasant little trip under the 'starry vault' of the first part; and I also saw quickly the last part with the voices, which looks like a kind of return to earth).

Two questions:
- Do you remember how you proceeded with those little percussions with some delay (and triggered by Pam, I guess...). The ones that appear around 5:10. They form beautiful clouds of galaxies :)
- How is your black cat? (I have a cousin of his here, on the other side of the channel, in the Somme).

Thanks in advance for your answers, and congratulations for your publications !

When I read your 'intention', yes... (Ideally Zadar + Nin).

Zadar :)

Tarot seems to be a great module, like everything else that Modulaire Maritime does. It wouldn’t be a bad idea for getting new timbres and sometimes a deeper or more aggressive touch. I would go with that. But the choice of one (or more) module is mostly dependent on the musical direction you want to go in.

“Mr. Hammond, after careful consideration, I’ve decided not to endorse your park.” (Dr. Alan Grant - Jurassic Park).

That’s a nice trip! Modular is a long river.