the nin expander for zadar is also potentially useful...
-- JimHowell1970

I confirm that, and more :)

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

Fortunately rules exist to regulate transactions, including and especially on the Internet!
Whether for the Business to Consumer, or Consumer to Consumer. But again, ‘the law is a complex matter’.

For example, a particular seller can be (under French law in any case) legally qualified as a ‘merchant’ according to the regularity of his sales activity. Thus, regular acts of sale on a merchant site or even a simple connection site, can make an individual a merchant of fact (within the meaning of the Code of Commerce). Various others criteria can support this... And this is pretty good for protecting transactions.

Not knowing the context of this transaction in particular, the site where it took place, or even its amount and the profit made, and not being a specialized jurist, I will stop here my advice. After all, we are here only trying to bring some leads @lazarusgordon

PS: I have been ordering various gears for years in France, Germany, Spain, etc. No problem to report with La Poste on my side.

So the link is: https://www.ecc.lt/lt/

The law is a complex matter, and the rules vary from country to country. In France, the seller is responsible until delivery. In case of loss by the carrier, he remains liable (unless you have expressly chosen a means of transport different from that offered by the seller). It seems to be the same rule all over Europe, that is if you buy on the Internet in the European Union.

If you are European (Italian for example...) this link could help you: https://commission.europa.eu/live-work-travel-eu/consumer-rights-and-complaints/resolve-your-consumer-complaint/european-consumer-centres-network-ecc-net_en

3x MIA is useful in many situations. Concerning Twin Waves, it is perhaps not the best example because it has 2 attenuators (param 1 and param 2 knobs). That said, 3x MIA will be able to mix and dose two sources of external modulations that will result in a single flow in one of the two inputs (param 1 or param 2 inputs).

I don’t sell modules :) When I write 'We often suggest...' I am referring to this ModularGrid community (and others) that quite often recommends the 3x MIA module. It has many useful functions in a small 6HP format. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/happy-nerding-3x-mia
In fact, it is one of the highest rated modules currently (see the list of ‘Top Modules’ https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modules/evaluationlists)

It is not always relevant to advise this or that module (apart from a few utilities) because the beginner logically has a difficulty in explaining what he is looking for, and the one who advises will naturally refer to his own tastes and orientations.

Take your time. Watch videos. Download and read the manuals for more information, and understand for yourself. I did this for several months before purchasing my first modules.

And start with few modules (but a large box)...

@Dan_ogq

• Leaving a gap between the modules can be risky. A 1HP blank panel from Doepfer costs around 3€. Much cheaper than damage caused by a short circuit due to an involuntary intrusion.

• The 2hp drum modules are of good quality. Richard Devine’s Current Live Setup features a 2hp Kick and a 2hp Hat: ModularGrid Rack

• An attenuverter will allow you to adjust (reduce or increase) the amount of modulation you wish on the tone or the decay of your 2hp Kick, for example. This is an essential tool. The most complete modules have an attenuver for each of their main cv inputs.
    We often suggest a utility module like the 3x MIA: it contains an attenuverter function (among many others). You will be able to dose the modulations reducing the width of an lfo or a random, and this module can even mix several modulations together.

Even the 2hp 'Picnic Basket' (their 'Flagship Lunchbox') is presented with blank panels between modules. And they often do their public demonstrations with these spacers.
https://www.twohp.com/systems/picnic-basket

So the first and best suggestion will be to buy some blank panels (1 or 2HP), really. Not very exiting but much more comfortable.

A small-format macro oscillator like Twin Waves or Beehive (a 8HP clone of Plaits) would be welcome in a small box to complete your Threshold.

Finally I’ll add an attenuverter/attenuator, and probably remove Jam Jam since you have Pam’s.

Your project is interesting. Some indications that may help you...

Among the modules to consider is the Phonogene.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/make-noise-phonogene
It is a ‘historical’ module of Make Noise based on the invention of Pierre Schaeffer (creator of the concrète music). This module is discontinued, but you can easily find it on Reverb.

Today, there is the Make Noise Morphagene (partly based on Schaeffer’s Morphophone). Also excellent are the Instrūo arbhar and Lúbadh. Other manufacturers offer many models to transform, cut and play with the samples.

For my part, I often use the Qu-bit Nebulae V2. This track, in tribute to a piece by Schaeffer and Henry, was made with Nebulae:

The BeatStep Pro is great for sequencing, but you might also need less ‘linear’ and traditional tools. I use Marbles (fantastic), but also the Stochastic Inspiration Generator and more recently the Pamela’s PRO Workout (ideal for organizing gates).

Finally, do not forget a dedicated lfo (ex. Batumi, Ochd), and of course some utilities...

PS. Among the best contact microphones: https://jezrileyfrench.co.uk/contact-microphones.php

Received this morning.

For the description of the module and its installation, the User Manual:
https://www.instruomodular.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/ochd-expander-Manual-web.pdf

Also here, including installation details:

Ugly.. but nice to fool around with
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/tesseract-modular-low-coast
-- T0MMI001

Yeah, very cheap too but it looks like an old car stereo unit with faceplate taken off. urghhh

-- EuroBadger

There are so many ‘old car stereo unit with faceplate taken off’ in the Eurorack world.
Therefore it’s good to reserve a small separate case and place vintage advertising stickers on it.
It’s fun and it puts things into perspective. We used to do that with our cheap guitar cases :)
Nostalgia...

Manufactured by Instruō, 4HP, 16 outs, 5mA, and expander of one of the most popular modules. There are worse pedigrees ;)
I’m waiting for mine this week.

To use a natural or any external sound, exploring it by stretching it, modifying its pitch, filtering it, cutting it into slices... in short by manipulating it in all the most unexpected ways, then associating it with others was the innovation of ‘musique concrète’.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musique_concrète

There are many modules that allow this work: choose the 'Sampling' function in the 'Modules' section (Module Finder) and you will have a long list of modules for this.
This way please :)

Then, you can still associate any other module that will fold the result, distort, create an envelope, place it in a space (with more or less reverb)... Any traditional complementary modular function.

In theory there are two sound synthesis techniques for dealing with acoustics; there is the traditionnal Sample-based synthesis and the Granular synthesis: both are well developed in the modular universe.

Everyone can work in their own way. Personally, and like many modularists, I have currently invested in granular synthesis (Qu-Bit Nebulae, Make Noise Morphagene, alongside Monsoon and Beads which are also effects, modules derived from Clouds). I completed with a more modest module (Tiptop Audio One) to include samples, considering that the computer is also a first way, upstream, powerful and fast to process any audio sources.
But again, to each his priorities, his preferences...

The recording of a radio extract on a Usb key or Sd card can then be processed by a granular synthesis or traditional sampling module, and it can be easily preserved as @wishbonebrewery indicates...
We can therefore think of separating any authentic Fm or vintage radio (or other audio sources like microphone, K7, Cd, Tv) from modular processing, it’s also more economical: in cost and HP.

The looper function allows you to manipulate the audio. This function, which is the basis of the freeze function, is integrated into many modules. But many use an external looper: this is the case of the legendary Todd Barton...

I'm going through a Tangerine Dream "Rubycon" phase again.

-- farkas

Trying to get back on great classic tracks is a good thing. Especially an album like 'Rubycon', almost 50 years old (time flies); and with your AJH Synth modules conducted by the 960, I guess... it shouldn't be unpleasant.

Personally, I'm re-exploring another planet, Altair IV, inhabited by the Krell people 2,000 centuries ago. In support, the 1956 film and a few manuscripts found by Todd Barton... :))

My first series of modules was piously positioned according to common logic.
Then, with the newcomers, we worked it out as best we could... we pushed each other, we made room ;)

For me, order is of little importance, since potentially any chain should be possible (except out > out!). This also avoids automatically reproducing the same eternal chaining.

Only common sense counts! Eg. If you're right-handed, a module like Tetrapad will be easier to handle placed to the right of your setup. And vice versa if you're left-handed.

Use long cables (three quarters of my cables are 1 meter long). This makes repositioning easier as you work.
Sequencer > square vco > filter > vca > fx1 > mixer? No...
Lfo > random > sine vco > folder > vca > fx2 > mixer? No, no...
Lfo > random > square vco > filter > folder > vca > fx2 > mixer... Et voilà!

I feel like I made some relatively informed choices with my rack but I also can't help but wonder if I'm completely discounting some essential modules that would be needed for these to work. Like maybe I don't have enough VCAs/VCOs for the ones I picked out here. Maybe I have too many redundant modules (not that redundancy is always bad but if it hurts the function then it's gotta go).
-- Cat

I think you have fully anticipated the problem. Unless I’m mistaken, Manis is the only vco here capable of providing you with a real drone source (excluding the Swiss Army Knife Disting mk4). At least one complementary vco, with a wide sound palette (like Plaits or Twin Waves, for example) would be needed. And I will add a quad vca to replace or complement the small After Later Audio DVCA. I do not see either lfo and at minimum a small sequencer (although on this point the Doepfer midi to cv indicates perhaps an intention not expressed here). Other comments or questions are possible... and I sincerely hope that others formulate them.

+1 for Jim's suggestion of Maths, but I'd hold off on getting a full size Quad VCA because the 2hp VCA is adequate until you have a larger system.
-- 33PO

And again, not to mention Optomix with its vca function on each channel...

If you decide to opt for the 60 HP Moog case solution, and without prejudging a too specific musical orientation, one could imagine this setup next to your Mother-32...
ModularGrid Rack

It is usually easier to advise you if we know what you expect from your instrument.

The DFAM will be a 'technically' perfect complement to your Mother-32. But as you know, it is a module mainly dedicated to percussive sounds. If you want to join more melodic paths, the Subharmonicon would be a better companion.

And if you want to explore sound with much more freedom and absolutely stick to a small format of 60HP, the possibilities of choice of modules are immense... but the best advice here, especially with a small budget, will be given if you express your desire for this or that musical trip.

There are many solutions to meet your criteria at Noise Engineering. I agree in particular with the suggestion about Loquelic Iteritas Percido. This module is a Hummer H1.

But if you really want to play with the bizarre, while remaining powerful and deep: WMD Synchrodyne, without hesitation. But here you’re dealing with an UFO.

Thread: Acid Sundays

Compression, however light, is an essential function in many genres of music including here. WMD Mscl, Erica Synths Stereo Compressor and Cosmotronic Messor seem good modular options. I personally record in Logic, I keep the live performance but I often add a slight touch of the PSP VintageWarmer2 plugin (a soft analog-style compressor/limiter) to finalize before the bounce.

In any case, the function of this type of module would deserve to be, I think, a criterion in its own right in the list of functions in the ‘Modules’ page. Even if for other kinds of music, the dynamic range of the modular synthesizer really does not need it...

@troux Does your compressor (WMD Mscl, I believe), in addition to its primary function, also add a kind of additional warmth/saturation or does it remain very transparent? Thanks in advance!

As I have already commented elsewhere, this is not only a superb work, it’s also an innovation, a first it seems to me (in any case, I know of no equivalent of such strong association between the universe of the classical orchestra and the world of modular; even less at the concert).

This association is fabulous. As these extraordinary encounters between the classical orchestra and other instrumental universes such as that of the great organs (for example we can listen again to the 3rd symphony by Camille Saint-Saëns).

Listen to this fusion between the timbre of the orchestra’s instruments and the modular synthesizer. Just one example:
After an introduction that develops till a nearly apocalyptic level and ends with two powerful orchestral punctuations (we can listen to them from 5:10), then emerges a very simple and modest note held by the oscillator of a Dixie II+ (note born from the second tutti and revealed around 5:30). This note is joined by the clarinet (at 7:45) then gradually, step by step, developed by other instruments and sections of the orchestra (*).

The modular is an orchestra, the orchestra is a modular!

(*) This passage evokes the famous note held (a B), played by the bassoon and emerging from the final chord of the first movement of Mendelssohn’s violin concerto in E minor, then introducing the second movement by evolving towards a C.

I allow myself to place here the whole video of this performance.

In addition, I encourage everyone to read this very relevant reflection of Luis about the modular synthesizer.
‘We don’t need more synthesizers: we need discipline’ https://coderapuzo.com/synthsanddiscipline/
This will echo many debates here...

(...) triple sloths is good - especially when combined (via a matrix mixer, perhaps) with other modulation sources... a quad lfo (or envelope generator) like batumi or zadar is great (especially with the expanders)...

-- JimHowell1970

To add unpredictability, disturbances, Zadar + Nin is really a good tool. In ‘loop mode’ (‘repeat parameter’ set to infinity), plus the two assignable CVs on some chosen parameters (e.g. Warp, Time), the results are amazing. Here a link to have a look at the Zadar basic envelope shapes: http://xaocdevices.com/manuals/xaoc_zadar_chart_2.0.pdf

If you need an accurate and powerful Delay module, I think it’s better to differentiate specialized modules like Dual Looping Delay (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/4ms-company-dual-looping-delay), or Chronoblob2 (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/alright-devices-chronoblob2) for example, and all those whose function allows a mix of sound manipulations including more or less the Delay function (like Beads, excellent module by the way, or Mimeophon).

Thread: Acid Sundays

Nice Acid Jam. (Every time I listen to this kind of music today, I go back 35 years to the time of K7s, and the ‘Second Summer of Love’ :)
TB-O and TB-EFA sound great. But I also enjoyed the percussion and the use you make of it.
Small question that has nothing to do... On which support did you put the BSP? A music stand, an articulated support?

Your setup seems quite comprehensive. One could perhaps imagine some complementary Lfo modulation source, possibly more 'disturbing' (Ochd, Diode Chaos, Triple Sloths...) or other modules. But obviously this is not really the fundamental problem.

Fluctuations in inspiration are things that commonly happen. And they are not always dependent on the musical equipment. Advice: recharge your energy within the music you love. Then resume your work from these bases. Reflect about how to reproduce some references in your own way. All the creators, whether in music or in other fields, all including the most admirable and innovative, have started from what already exists, then appropriating things their own way.

PS: and take your time to experiment... sometimes also without thinking too much! Venture, avoid only out > out :))

Thread: Rack Advice

If you are a student, you should start by learning the basics...
Here is one of the most recommendable sources: Learning Modular.
https://learningmodular.com/

It includes in particular the following:
https://courses.learningmodular.com/courses/basic-concepts
https://learningmodular.com/glossary/
Etc.

Thread: Rack Advice

If I may, 'Fiat lux' ;)

ModularGrid Rack

This article by Chris Meyer (Learning Modular) will provide you with excellent insight into the subject:
‘Linear versus Exponential VCAs & Envelopes’.

https://learningmodular.com/linear-versus-exponential/

Two very educational videos are also included.

I have long used Synchrodyne, a module with very beautiful and deep wavefolder qualities, it can also jostle very hard in aggressiveness. But it is also an experimental tool that far exceeds the wavefolder function... we do not always know how far it will take you :)) Recently I have completed my palette with Fold 6, a wavefolder very focused on its function: intelligently designed, very progressive, powerful and warm. I definitely recommend it. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/joranalogue-audio-design-fold-6

@Meenthgrea
Available today...
Fold 6: https://www.perfectcircuit.com/joranalogue-fold-6.html
Twin Waves: https://www.perfectcircuit.com/klavis-twin-waves.html
Pico DSP: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PicoDSP--erica-synths-pico-dsp-stereo-effects-eurorack-module

The other modules you mention are excellent.
The CalSynth's clones of Mutable Instruments have a very good reputation.

Some additional elements.

Yes really, Morphagene! Perfect for getting dark moving landscapes and surreal textures. Ideally I should add a good reverb to it: there is a large choice in this area, and at all prices, but you would be interested in the Pico DSP. Its algos are excellent, it has saturations options (saturated reverb, overdrive/ bitcrush) and an unbeatable price-performance ratio.

Well, on the oscillator side: Manis Iteritas (I would’nt have advised you that beast for ambient...). Well known for its industrial and apocalyptic colors. Not very cheap. It’s still on sale but Noise Engineering is currently stopping its production... NATO required it this summer :))

About additive synthesis, there is the Telharmonic (‘3 Voice Additive Harmonic synthesis’): perfect for all kind of drones and many other things. There is also the 4ms Spectral Multiband Resonator...

BUT in order to complete your MiniBrute without spending too much, and next to your Morphagene (and a reverb), I would add instead these two types of modules: a complex oscillator (Twin Waves, or Plaits) and especially a wavefolder that would thicken and make any sound source much more beefy and aggressive (Fold 6 for example).

So in summary, and keeping in mind a reasonable budget: your selection plus Pico DSP, Twin Waves, Fold 6.

As our friend @farkas says: good luck for your mission ;)

The MiniBrute 2s is a complete system. First, if you choose a RackBrute to expand your possibilities, opt for the 6U. The price difference is small compared to the 3U, and above all, you will not be blocked too early by the lack of space: it is always the first recommendation, whatever your artistic project.

Then, to be properly helped here on the choice of modules, it is very useful to know this ‘artistic project’, your wish regarding styles of music in particular. Many modules are relatively oriented to specific universes and this is where the association will really be useful with your Minibrute 2s which is quite neutral from this point of view.

(...) with my lack of HP I need modules that can do many things - it still is hard not to want an Aurora though...oh life is hard.

-- EuroBadger

If I may, think a moment about what you just wrote here. Music is not there to make you suffer...
Please, solve first your case problem. You will find again ‘the light (and fun) side of the modular’ ;)

(...) 'Novation's Bass Station filter was designed by Chris Huggett of Wasp and Oscar fame. Here, it's known as 'Classic', a state-variable creation switchable between 12dB and 24dB slopes. Fresh for the BS2, a further switch offers low-, band- and high-pass modes, greatly extending the filter's usefulness. In all modes, you're quickly aware of the edgy but sparkly maximum resonance, and also that it takes just a smidgen of overdrive to squash any fear of lack of balls. Winding the overdrive higher turns the Classic filter into a pleasantly mashed-up monster. It follows that varying combinations of cutoff frequency, resonance and overdrive yield everything from humongous bass to sound effects and shrieks that will vibrate your granny's teeth out, assuming you're heartless enough to expose her to them. Warm, fluffy and Moogy it isn't.

If this were the full story of the filter I'd be content, but it isn't. There's a second filter on board; a diode ladder design called Acid. This 24dB fat boy operates in low-pass mode only and is noticeably darker than the Classic. Its resonance is wetter and smoother, too. I became an instant convert. As both filters react very differently to high levels of overdrive and resonance, you occasionally get the not-unpleasant feeling that two synths are occupying the same space' (...)

(Paul Nagle - Sound On Sound / September 2013).

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/novation-bass-station-2

...SO WHY ARE THE JACKS AT THE BOTTOM??? WHO MIXES AT THE TOP OF THEIR RACK LMAO??

If this makes it out of concept they better fix the layout seriously
-- maincy

You’re right, it’s a shame. But a lot of modules have this configuration, including some of the most acclaimed! This is an error especially when there is a need for frequent manipulations such as with mixers, controllers, sequencers.

Fortunately there are modules that ‘save the honour’ :) Performance Mixer, Hexmix, Tetrapad, Planar2, A-174-4, Pressure Points, René, Stochastic Inspiration Generator, Eloquencer, Voltage Block, etc.

Otherwise, the right angle patch cables can facilitate accessibility...

Peace!

‘Aimer est le grand point, qu’importe la maîtresse ?
Qu’importe le flacon, pourvu qu’on ait l’ivresse ?’
(Alfred de Musset - La Coupe et les Lèvres - 1831).

Which can be approximately translated by:
‘To love is the great point, what does the mistress matter?
Does the bottle matter, if we can achieve drunkenness?’

The only thing that matters is the pleasure we can experience when listening to music.
Whatever the instrument, as long as it remains that tool at the service of musicians and audiences.

(That said, sometimes, some mixtures... well, you know... ;)

@JimHowell1970
You are absolutely right. That’s why, for example, I plugged the ADDAC207 and the Fold 6 on my row 3, while they are physically screwed (and therefore seem installed) on row 4 in my second RackBrute. See the link.

We are all here to share and remember each other the right practices :)

Ochd, Ikarie: two great choices.
I listened to your generative piece. It seems you were moving quickly in the right direction.
Perfect!

If I may:

Very interesting, congratulations!

AI008 Eurorack Matrix Mixer looks like a good solution...
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ai-synthesis-ai008-eurorack-matrix-mixer

A refreshing topic :)

‘Today, we say goodbye to four of our popular modules: Basimilus Iteritas Alter, Manis Iteritas, Cursus Iteritas, and Ataraxic Iteritas’. (The Noise Engineering Blog - 08/15/2023).

https://noiseengineering.us/blogs/loquelic-literitas-the-blog/goodbye-iteritas

Almost all new modules are combinations or extrapolations of existing modules, that to a large extent can be patched up from what you have (if you have the basic building blocks of synthesis in your rack and not just shiny expensive do it all modules)

-- JimHowell1970

I also had this reflection. We were lucky: we saw the birth of wonderful modules, some of which became classics, and they were easily available and cheaper!

For some time, a certain level seems to have been reached, including by means of the digital. Next step: the AI? I’m not sure to feel concerned...

In the beginning we're understandably a bit voracious, but the more we add on the table, the more discriminating gourmet we become.

Never more true words.

-- wishbonebrewery

Thank’s.

I am definitley becoming a discriminating gourmet, I even feel like my module-buying is slowly coming to an end.... Shocking I know

-- wishbonebrewery

Personally I am not shocked, I feel the same thing.

So, you started curating your modules more precisely when building a patch? Is that what you´re saying?

-- ak47exe

Yes, that's right. And, above all, I simplify things in my production.
In the beginning we're understandably a bit voracious, but the more we add on the table, the more discriminating gourmet we become.

Excellent topic.

I really like this thought by Winston Churchill: 'Out of intense complexities, intense simplicities emerge'.
That's pretty much what I experienced as I let my modular, and my home studio, expand...

For my part, I would add: and as we got older, we end up meeting from time to time :)

Thread: Rackbrute 6U

+1 for Pamela's PRO Workout!

+10 for 'I'd think carefully about what you are missing in your patches - ie I want to do this, but I can't because I don't have that functionality in my case... note these omissions down - and then prioritise them before searching for and ultimately buying new modules' (@JimHowell1970).

And you may find some good food for thought here and there:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/10117
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/10976

I have reworded my answer for even more clarity...

• First suggestion: Erica Synths Black Stereo Mixer V3 (or V2).
    Great little mixer and same brand/aesthetic as your Black Wavetable VCO (as you wished).
    10 HP.

• Second suggestion: Befaco STMix. Excellent small mixer too.
    6 HP.

Both suggested modules accept mono AND stereo.

• Third suggestion: no other module yet :)
    Because your Quad VCA is also a small mixer, 4 voices, but favoring mono.

For an external sequencer, regardless of the size of your setup, BeatStep Pro is a great solution.
In the meantime, and about sequencing melody with Pam’s Pro, see that video at 5:17