Thanks a lot Lugia, it is very useful and I'm sure I'll be re-reading it a few more times while I do my research on the topic.

This may be a bit offtopic, so I'm sorry if MG isn't the place for this questions. It turns out I'm not only new to modular but to music production too, and there're some basics I still don't get. I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

The issue I'm facing is about sound quality in general. When I record my music it doesn't sound as clean or proffesional as I would like. My setup is quite simple at the moment, this is what I'm doing:

• One MI Plaits sequenced by a Minibrute 2, the out of the Plaits connected to the master input of the Minibrute so it gets mixed with the main out.
  • The main output of the Minibrute goes into a desktop mixer.
  • I also have one Drumbrute connected to that mixer.
  • The main output of the mixer is then connected to the computer line-in for recording.
  • In the computer I'm using QuickTime player for audio recording and I tried adding some compression with the Audicity software too.

I think this are some of the problems, but I'm not completely sure and I don't know how to fix them:

• I'm using a cheap mixer and it may be adding some background noise. Well, this is easy to fix, get a better mixer, but... is it my main problem?
  • Using the computer line-in may be adding even more background noise. Do I need some kind of controller o external gear to properly record my music?
  • QuickTime player doesn't sound to be the best option for audio recording, should I use something more like Ableton? is there anything simpler? I've never used Ableton and it looks pretty complex.
  • Audio compression and equalization: I really don't get these two, I tried adding compression because it seems like everyone is doing it, but what is it? how does it work and how does it affect sound? Regarding the equalization: how can I get it right? how can I know if the mix is well equalized? how can I mke sure it sounds right in different headphones or speakers? and What gear or software should I use for equalization and compression?

There may be more problems with my recording process and I'd appreciate if you guys could point me in the right direction. Also feel free to suggest articles, videos, books or anything else that you think could help me understand the basics of sound recording.

Thanks!

Well, unfortunately the DrumBrute Impact is not connected to the modular, but I guess you meant the Minibrute 2S anyway. Yes, I plan to handle the sequencing portion with its sequencer, it's a 3-track and I think it will be enough for this small set-up.

I'll check out the Poti expander and the Blue Lanterm's mixer, thanks for the suggestions!

Thanks a lot for your comments, it's been super useful!

Based on the feedback I'll be getting the rackbrute 6U instead of the smaller 3U and I'll replace the shapeshifter with a couple of plaits, which are smaller and cheaper too. I still like the shapeshifter a lot though, and having some extra space in the case I might buy one at some point.

As for the filters, I'll go with the Polaris and the Optomix. The G-Storm's Tonus is really interesting and having the input mixers makes it a good candidate for a small system like this, I'll keep it in my 'cool modules' list jus tin case I want to add more filters in the future.

Xaoc's Zadar seems to be a reasonable replacement for the Quadra given the cost, features and size. The Quad VCA I was planing to get still seems a good choice so far.

Regarding the effects I like the Chronoblob 2 suggested by Lugia, but I think I'll get a Pico DSP instead of the Purrvrrb. The Pico DSP is smaller and can provide different effects. The Erbe-Verb sounds really great and I might buy one once I know a bit more about modular synths, for now the Chronoblob 2 and the Pico DSP will work just fine.

ModularGrid Rack

The top row is a bit more expensive than my original rack proposal, but it will be much more flexible and much more fun to play with.

The second row of the case are some modules I'm still considering:
- Most of the time I'm already using all the LFOs in the Minibrute, so I guess having the Batumi will be really useful.
- The 2S clock a bit limiting, as Lauprellim said, and I've been considering the 4ms clock dividers, but having the Pamela's New Workout would give many more options.
- A part from that I think I may be short on mixers, maybe I could add the MI Links or something similar if need to.

I'll be getting my first modules in the next few days . Anyway, I'm still open to suggestions if you guys think I got this rack all wrong or if there are some modules I should reconsider.

Hey, thanks a lot for your suggestions Lugia.

I've been doing some research on these modules as I didn't know them all. I think getting a pair Plaits is a great idea, and the chronoblob2 is also a fantastic suggestion.

Having the delay and reverb in two separete modules makes complete sense, however, I'm not totally sold on the Purrvrrb because it doesn't have any cv and I'd have to tweak it manually. Maybe I don't need the cv as much as I think I do, but I guess I'll make some more research for the reverb module.

The filters you suggested are pretty cool too. I like the G-Storm's one a lot, but wouldn't an Intellijel Polaris make more sense? It would save 2 hp and provide more filter types. Not sure if the Tonus just sounds better or if the mixer makes it worth the extra 2 hp.

I find the Optomix quite interesintg, isn't it like an VCA + VCF? if so, would I still need the Quad VCA at this point? having a couple of Plaits and being able to use the Optomix as an VCA may be enough, or how would I use the Quad VCA in this system?

I'm also considering replacing the Quadra with a XAOC Devices Zadar, there's not a lot of difference on the price and the Zadar seems able to provide many more shapes.

Complete noob as you see, but really appreciate the help and all the knowledge I'm getting here!

Hey guys, thanks for the replies,
I'll consider getting the 6U rack, I think it's the sensible choice just in case I need more space in the future. Regarding the modules sizes, I guess the shapeshifter and the erbe-verb are the guilty ones, can you suggest smaller replacements for them?

I've watched a couple of videos about the Expert Sleepers Disting suggested by Laupellim, it seems a very powerful module, however, at this point I'm not sure I would know how to use it or how to patch it with the 2s, there's a lot I still need to learn. Right now I lean towards something that can produce smooth and soft sounds, as the 2s can already pretty harsh.

Hi there!

I recently got a drumbrute impact and a minibrute 2s and I'm now planing to expand it with some modules. I'm a complete noob and I'd like to make sure if this setup makes any sense at all or I'm getting it completely wrong.

I wouldn't get all the modules at once - this modular thing is quite expensive - so I'd buy one at a time starting with the shapeshifter, which I could patch with the minibrute 2s sequencer and VCA. From there I think it makes sense to get more VCAs and envelope generators before getting the erbe-verb, otherwise my patches are going to be very limited.

Does this rack make any sense to expand on the minibrute 2s?

ModularGrid Rack