It's your thread, so steer away!

I have a bunch of Verbos modules and they're great, but they are quite the investment for someone just starting out. If money isn't a problem by all means, get them, but there are more affordable options for similar features.

You can also download VCV Rack and explore many different sounds in there without opening your wallet. All of the Mutable Instruments are available in there (under the brand "Audible Instruments"). Many other IRL modules have VCV Rack analogs.

If you are interested in AM/FM, you might want to get a complex oscillator. They all seem to be based on an old Buchla 259r, so the difference in tone is what you'll want to focus on. I've had both the DPO and CS-L and I personally prefer the CS-L, but my buddy prefers the DPO. It is all person taste. There is even a Verbos and ACL complex oscillator. There is an old DivKid livestream out there where one of the guests had 2 oscillators to do the AM/FM stuff and then went to a single complex osc and was blown away by the difference. (I think it was James Ciglar on DivKid Modular Podcast #6 - Oscillators).

A Pam's New Workout with the Pexp expander might be a better solution than the Yarns, depending on what you want to do. Pam's by itself is a great multi-function module.

I had to look up DAAT and SynthSense, but if I found the right stuff, you might want a sampler like 1010 BitBox or an ALM Squid Salmple. I have the Squid and it's amazing. Then something to trigger those modules (external hardware includes a BeatStep/KeyStep Pro, or modules like a Euclidean Circles, Pam's New Workout, or even something like a Winter Modular Eloquencer.) I see you said sequencing is taken care of externally, but those 4 jacks on the Yarns get used up very quickly. I personally keep everything inside the case.

Lots of good advice here. I second (fourth?) the idea to ditch the digitakt.

Just in the spirit of offering a differing opinion, save the simple Doepfer-type modules for VCV Rack. Learn their uses there and save your money and the tactile response for more... fun modules. You get more bang for your buck to get some really nice modules that can do more than one thing.

Like a lot of Noise Engineering modules can be used for a bunch of different applications (Basimilus Iteritas Alter, for example, can make really great percussion sounds or be used for bass or noise). Mutable Instruments Plaits is another multi-use sound source (though all MI modules are available on VCV Rack under the brand "Audible Instruments").

I don't like to suggest individual modules but you might want to look at Pamela's New Workout. It is super versatile and you'll probably get one eventually anyway so you might as well get it sooner than later. It is a clock, clock divider/multiplier, LFO, random gate/cv generator, logic, attenuator, etc. It's super useful. Plus it has the MIDI expander and holds time really well, so you can even use it as a master/slave clock for your DT (if you decide to keep it.)

As always, use the forums if you have more questions!

Welcome! It's daunting at first and I made a lot of mistakes along the way which resulted in overspending.

First, what kind of sound do you want to make? An acid setup would be vastly different from ambient, etc. Do you want percussion or just a bass machine? Finding some youtube artists you like and studying their setups can help with this.

Second, download VCV Rack and start testing modules. All of the Mutable Instruments modules are in there, as well as a bunch from many other manufacturers. If you find a module in VCV rack that doesn't exactly exist in real life, there's usually a close match (and vice versa). Omri Cohen on YT is a great resource for rigging up real physical modules within VCV Rack in order to test them out BEFORE you buy. Look at the manuals, look at the youtube videos from the manufacturer, look at DivKid or MylarMelodies' reviews. There are a million resources out there to help you avoid buying modules you don't need.

Third, if you really think this is something you'll want to pursue, consider a bigger case. 84hp gets eaten up quick. It might be better to get a bigger case now and fill it up slowly over time than buy a small case and need to get a bigger one within a year. Also consider a pre-built rig like the Make Noise Shared System, one of the Erica Synths cases, or the ALM Shuttle Coupe. Yea, they're expensive, but they're great collections (Those Dreadbox Chromatic modules look pretty good, so you already have the right idea. ) There are also the Moog Mother 32 and DFAM semi-modulars that area really powerful without going broke too!

Good luck! Sorry I can't be more helpful, but those are some basic points you have to address yourself before getting module recommendations.

Instruo Harmonaig would tie those three oscillators nicely. An Expert Sleepers Disting (Mk4 or ES) is a great modular multi-tool. A Low Pass Gate like a Make Noise Optomix will give you different timbres than just using filters. A complex oscillator like DPO or CS-L can produce some great ring mod, AM/FM sounds. I personally love harmonic oscillators like the XAOC Odessa or the Verbos (my fave brand right now) modules and free running LFOs like Erica Synths Black Octasource or the DivKid Ochd.

It all really depends what sounds you want to sculpt though. There are infinite directions to go from here. Analog/digital/subtractive/additive/whatever

While outside FX are nice, I find it much easier to keep everything in the case, especially when there are really great modular solutions. A Mutable Instruments clone called Typhoon (Original MI Clouds firmware + the two alternate firmwares, Kammerl & Parasites), Make Noise Morphagene & ErbeVerb, Strymon Magneto (also a pedal tho) all come to mind and would add some nice depth to the case.