I have nothing against Behringer; another MI clone, just like others clones around.

Plaits plus 4 extra osc plus oscilloscope and in black. If I feel I need it I would get this one over other clones.
And I do own 3 OG MI modules...

Lets face it, if this clone had been made by somebody else no-one would complain.

Maybe one day this will be a problem but for now I already have a 6U104HP DIY flightcase (260€) and lots of room (because the neutron goes). Main reason I prefer to rack these semimodular synths is for transport and to keep the system as compact and tidy as possible. If one day I end up needing more room I can always put them back in their case.
The expensive part of eurorack is not the case, is the modules. A 6U104hp full of eurorack modules goes for around 4000-5000€, the 270€ spent on the case is just a 5%

Hello,
I got into modular world quite recently; I started with a Neutron and DFAM and added few things.
I work a with a computer and also stand alone; anything from experimental/IDM to Dark/industrial techno
My actual set up looks like this:
ModularGrid Rack

But I decided to sell the Neutron (despite people complaining about behringer is what got me into modular),; although has lots of patching options the overall sound is not for me . I even end up using the DFAM more for synth sounds. I will also sell the hexinverter Mutant brain; 0-coast has midi, I also own a Korg SQ-1 and my audio interface (presonus studio 1810) can send CV. So I am served (Mutant brain was the first one of these).
I also own a Bastl Kastle V1.5 I am selling too; I barely use it.

I have just bought an 0-coast ( I really like the way it sounds) and a mutable instruments links

I am considering two options, either move to a smaller 84hp case or keep the 104hp one (although there will be quite a lot of empty space for a while)

ModularGrid Rack

ModularGrid Rack

So, so far I own and will keep DFAM, 0-coast, Maths, ALM-06 (really useful if you own guitar pedals) Disting MK4, and links. I also own a Korg SQ-1, Volca Kick and Volca Drum and¡ a Kaoss Pad 3. The mixer is a Behringer QX1204USB
I will probably add a behringer crave (low cost alternative to Mother 32, which pairs well with DFAM) and a Roland TR8S(I prefer a Drum Machine over a sampler like Digitakt, and can not afford Analog Rytm)

I plan to add a VCA (either Intellijel uVCA/Quad VCA or Veils), maybe kinks. I do not want to add many modules at once, I have just scratched the surface of maths and Disting Mk4.

What modules do you think I should or could add to this set up first (I hear Pamela´s workout, ModDemix, and other)..maybe add the VCA/quad VCA or wait, what other utilities ..maybe another filter?
I do not mind (In fact I prefer) to buy second hand and/or old/mkI versions

Regards
Javier

Thank you for your recomendation ..much apreciated.

• Main reason I want to put those on a case is so I can carry them to a friends studio for jamming...They do take a lot of rack space but they give a lot too.. I want them to be properly packed if I am going to move them around. As for the rear outputs/inputs I can just move them to the side of the rack, just will need some sort cables and DIY work. Both synths also offer audio out on the patch bay. It is also true that I do not need to build the case right now, I have first to get to know them well at home.

• Well, regarding modules math comes always a one of the most recomended modules, I think is quite complex but can do lots of thing. For example turning the DFAM into a Subharmonicon .
    In fact I already bought one secondhand (ups!!), a never used mk2 still under warranty for 220€, I could not say no. ;-) It can wait in the drawer a couple of months if necessary, first I ´ll get to know both the Neutron and DFAM.

The disting comes also recommended but after your feedback I think I will just pass. Main reason to go modular is to have full hands on with no menus, Disting does look like a pain in the ass. The other modules have not been thought thoroughly though.

• I still do not have the CV.ocd with me but I guess will serve me to route some modulation/trigers from reaktor blocks to the modular. I do not think I will need the Gate/boost as as far as I know all trigger/gates do respond to 5v. Also one of the neutrons midi cc´s can be assignt to a cv out, there is also a midi gate cv out present.

• As I said before I also own a Bastle Kastle, I saw ST modular sell a DIY eurorack version of it, I may try to convert mine.
    http://www.st-modular.com/eurokastle.htm

• Thank you for your list of recommended modules, I will look into them. Still my budget for hardware is 2000€, which I will spend sooner or later (rather do that on hardware than partying.. money burns in my pocket :-)). So far DFAM 520€ new B-stock, Neutron 275 new B-stock, CV.ocd 130€ Maths mk2 220€ second hand under warranty. That makes 1145€ so far...

• As I said before I also own a Bastle Kastle, I saw ST modular sell a DIY eurorack version of it, I may try to convert mine.

• If I make my own case I think I can do a nice one for less than 200/300€, flight case like; I think I would go for a meanwell RT65B PSU and a single busboard. There would be no much difference in price in making this or a small 3U 40HP case. The RT65B delivers up to 2.4A on +12 and up to 1A in -12 if not under full load, also has +5V altough I do not think I will need it.

Neutron is quite power hungry, according to Behringer 1A but I red somewhere is more like 700mAh. 1.5A might be enough for the whole thing but I preffer not to force the PSU. It will need to feed around 4 to 6 modules, maximum.

Other recommendations regarding PSU/Busboard combo will be apreciated too; 200€ tops

• If I add the ST Modular Kastle to the set up it would mean going for a 6U 90HP case, I would have 10 HP empty space to add something in the future ( out of the modules you recommend one could fit, as there is even an 8hp version of temps, uTemps).

Somethink like this:
ModularGrid Rack

Regards
Javier

Hello,
I am new to modulargrid, beautiful site indeed...

I want to make an eurorack system, to feed my NI Maschine based set up.I do not intend to make songs (I have never been good at it) but rather evolving sesions live like; anything between IDM, Acid and Dark Techno.

In the computer I will be using Maschine MK3 and JAM, Maschine software, reaktor blocks, Maschine Drumsynths and maybe will add Softube modular, as the basic package is quite cheap. Also have some other VST synths

I want to make a 2x84hp eurorack system with Moog DFAM and Behringer Neutron as main sound sources and add a few modules to it. I also own a Bastl Kastle which will integrate fine as has two cv I/O.

To comunicate with the compouter with the system I bought a cv.ocd.

I also have some guitar FX from my grindcore days (Metalzone, compressor, Phaser, eq..etc)

I will use the two audio inputs in my Kontrol audio 1 to feed both the Neutron and DFAM main outputs to the computer and sample and/or add extra FX. Also I can use the two extra outputs on the Kontrol 1 to send audio (extra oscilators, drumloops, etc..) into both DFAM/Neutron

This is my project so far:
ModularGrid Rack

I already bought both DFAM and Neutron; the modules I have thought off are Maths, ModDemix, Disting mk4 and to fill the 2hp gap maybe a clock divider/multiplier? I will make my own case with Doepfer DIY kit (I have just realiced the whole set up draws more than 1.2 amp...Maybe I could dissasemble the PSU from the neutron and fix it to the case, so the neutron would have its own psu and the rest the Doepfer rail.)

The cost will be 790€ for the DFAM/Neutron combo, another 700€ for the modules and around 200€ for the case. Even adding the Bastle Kastle and the cv it does not reach 2000€.

As I am making my own case I can also leave a 1Ux84 rack space empty on top to add some extra functions

Any thougths welcome