I am also considering the WMD MSCL. What would the pros/cons be of module vs external?

I need help with compressor options. I'm mainly looking for sidechain compression for drums. I can't decide whether to go with something like God's Box Lollipop and keep it modular, or use my ADDAC200PI to go through an external pedal like the FMR RNC or Rainger FX Deep Space Pulsar. Any opinions or other options? ModularGrid Rack

I'm not happy with the punch and depth of my kick drums. Before I look at swapping modules I wanted to see if there were techniques or patch ideas that I maybe haven't discovered. What modules and techniques would you use to create massive kicks? And is there anything that you'd change in order to do so? TIA. ModularGrid Rack

I really like the filter on my Novation BassStation 2 and I was wondering what might be comparable in eurorack. I have a Hexinverter Red Dragon, SSF Stereo Dipole and WMD C4rbn. The WMD is probably closest. I feel like the BassStation sounds fatter, and the sweeps are more dynamic. Any suggestions are welcome.

Maybe a ground loop. Are your two cases plugged into the same electrical outlet? (Or to same power bar?)
-- bopodoq

They are plugged into the same power strip. I have an uninterrupted power supply on order for another project. Would that help to correct this? Or is it possible that I am just drawing too much power?

I just bought a Make Noise 104hp skiff and I am getting a hiss anytime I patch a cable from anywhere in the new skiff to the mixer (Doepfer A-138p) in my other case. I've tried multiple cables in multiple locations. I have restarted it. What are some things that I can do to troubleshoot this.

ModularGrid Rack

I tried to create the Herbs & Stones Liquid Foam module on this site. It appeared on my rack when I first created it but now it has disappeared. Does anyone know why that would happen? Would the manufacturer or admin have it removed for some reason? I don't see the manufacturer in the drop down menu either. I don't want to put the work in again if its just going to disappear again.

Does anyone know where I can find a video tutorial or review on the Maneco Labs Clusterverb? I don't see anything on YT or the maker's website.

Thanks (again) Jim!

Hello fellow wigglers. I currently have the ALM mmMIDI module and I am thinking about swapping it out for the Hexinverter Mutant Brain. What I would like to do is use my external gear (Novation BassStation and Erica DB-01) to create arpeggio patterns and then send those patterns to my modular system. Would the Mutant Brain accomplish this?

ModularGrid Rack

I bought a Maneco Labs Grone 2 that I'm pretty happy with and I am considering making a smaller (104hp) portable drone synth centered around it. I haven't been able to find any good videos that show the capabilities of the Maneco Labs Filter Eko and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it or videos that I could reference. Also, while you're here... have a look at this drone rack and LMK if you'd change anything. Thanks in advance (again)!

ModularGrid Rack

Thank you so much for typing all that out. I was looking at the Alan module as a turing machine option but I'm not sure what it would accomplish that PNW or the Winter Modular won't do. I'm going to read this like a dozen times, watch the links and then put it to practice. Thank you so much for your time!

Thanks for this suggestion. I think that its definitely an element that I am missing. I had been looking at pitch shifters and precision adders but couldn't quite piece it together. I ordered one this morning. Such a shame about WMD. Hopefully they'll be back...

I built my synth for drones and generative ambient music but I have an acid techno itch that needs to be scratched. I was hoping to get some patch ideas from the community so that I could break away from repetition and maybe learn something new. I'm still relatively noob (started building in 2020). What are your favorite patches to generate acid bass lines? Would you add or ditch any modules from this rig?

ModularGrid Rack

I've been looking at the ADDAC804 Audio iInterface as a module to connect my iPhone to my synth for samples. Is anyone familiar with some other options to accomplish this task? Could it be done with the ADDAC200PI Pedal Interface or some other sampler modules?

I think Desmodus Versio is that dimension? I have this module but flashed the firmware to something else. Personally found it too wild, but maybe it will work well for you
-- kiunthmo

I cross-posted this to Reddit and the consensus was largely Desmodus Versio. I ordered one and we'll see how it goes.

Perhaps a send/return module like the knob.farm Ferry (4hp, $140) and a really good external pedal? If reverb is really important to you, I don't think in-rack effects match the quality of external ones yet, with the possible exception of the Strymon modules. If you have anything besides modular that you might also want to use effects with (other fixed-architecture synths, guitar, etc.) that tips the balance further.
-- plragde

Can this be done with the Doepfer A-138o? I have only used it as an aux for modules in the past.

I've got 8hp left in my rack for reverb. I could pull a couple 2hp modules that get little use to make 12hp happen if need be. I play around with the psy ambient, droney, lo-fi, spacey stuff and want huge reverb. Can I get that in a 12hp module? I've been looking at TipTop Zverb but I'm open to whatever. Does it make more sense to buy the module or run everything through an external effects unit like Strymon Nightsky or Big Sky?

ModularGrid Rack

more switches! they are so useful for automating transitions between different sections of a composition, or making live adjustments. Since you already have Boss Bow Two for sequential switching, Would consider some simpler bi-directional 1->2 (or 2 -> 1) switches. I just picked up the Instruo Tain and really love it. WMD S3lekt and Acid Rain Switchblade are also popular (although the switchblade isnt bi-directional).
-- stumblefoot

Thanks for this suggestion! I'm going to watch a few videos on the ones you mentioned and the Nonlinearcircuits Chopper.

Correct. The bottom row. Thanks again! I'll have a look at some VCAs and matrix mixers.

I posted a few months back and got some good advice from JimHowell1970 and Lugia about how to get self-modulation and add randomness to what I felt was too structured and monotonous. This week I decided to purchase a second Mantis case. The first 3 rows are modules that I already own. The last row is an expansion of utility modules were either recommended to me, or that I think I need. I'm making mostly ambient stuff and acid and playing it over an external drum machine (TR8s) and a few other desktop synths. The oscilloscope is mainly to help me learn what is happening. I'm looking for holes in my plan. Is there anything I should have that's not here? Anything I should get rid of? I'm still pretty new to this - maybe a year in now.

ModularGrid Rack

THANKS JimHowell1970 and Lugia for taking the time to give me this feedback! I lurk quite a bit here and it always surprises me how generous people are with their info and expertise. I think I'm going to follow Jim's suggestion by getting another case and then start filling it with some of the modules that Lugia suggested. There's goes my stimmy check! lol

I like the sounds that I'm getting now but I feel like they get monotonous unless I'm constantly tweaking. I'd like to add some more structure but I also want to be able to self-modulate or add randomness to that structure to keep things interesting. I'm still relatively noob and have been working on this for about a year now. I feel like I'm missing some utilities but maybe it's just me.

I'm also using some external drum machines, synths and drones to make space ambient and acid techno. I haven't bought the Batumi yet, but I already have the rest. Looking for some opinions on the last 10hp (or 20hp if you think I should skip the Batumi). Thanks!

External:
TR8s
TD3
Lyra-8
Bass Station
Erica DB-01
Grendel Drone Commander

ModularGrid Rack

Amazing!

Thanks for the input. I'm trying to decide between the Falistri and the Maths. The Falistri seems powerful, but it would probably be a while before I grow into it.

I like that idea. I originally wanted the WMD Arpitecht but it was out of stock. I was looking at the Blue Lantern CV Arpeggiator v3 as well. Can a person have too many arpeggiators? Thanks for the input!

I bought the Javelin on the recommendation of a friend because it packs a lot of value into relatively small package. It hasn't disappointed. The Red Dragon is a blast. At first I wasn't sure about it because it can screech and scream seemingly beyond control. Once I learned to tame it a bit I fell in love with it. The bubbly, warbly sounds it puts out are magic. It's now one of my favorite modules in the rack. Thanks for the input. I've had my eye on Maths for a while.

They both look cool. I like that the Erica is expandable. I also went and looked at the logic modules. I have the Kinks. I accidentally put Links in the rack. Thanks again for the help.

I hadn't considered a sequential switch. Thanks for that advice. I'll go down the YouTube wormhole on them.

ModularGrid Rack

I'm a modular noob and looking to fill this 52hp. (I already own the stuff in it.)

Other outboard gear: Novation BassStation 2, Erica Bassline DB-01, Roland TR8-S, Novation Launchkey 25 & Ableton Live.

I'm mainly using the TR8-S for drum tracks and playing the synths over top.

Any help would be most appreciated.