Okay... I think I'm getting close...

ModularGrid Rack

1u
•Swapped dual chainable mixers for Quadratt as it can be used as mixer/attenuator/attenuverter
•Added S&H Module

3u
•Brought Ghost back as it is so ridiculously versatile regarding effects
•Added 2hp Dual VCA

I'm feeling pretty good about this, but I'm unsure if that 2hp slot might be better utilized as something else as there are already two VCA's in the Delta-V? My other thought was the 2hp 4-Channel Mixer to support the Quadratt if necessary. Or maybe an equalizer or trimming module?

this user has left ModularGrid

Fine transaction with @Inzomnia
Thx !

It might sound redundant, but I suggest you play with it for a while without planning or adding anything. Adding a second VCO might be early now IMO.
-- Harko93

Yes absolutely! It's super fun to play already. I just want to fully utilize the power of the Keystep Pro, this is where a second VCO would come in handy. Some drum modules would also be great or rather a drum machine to connect with the Keystep (still not sure what the better choice would be). But GAS is hitting me for sure thats why i plan ahead ^^

Cheers 33PO ///

After reading about the Ghost and watching a couple videos of it in action, it's a total beast! I feel your enthusiasm and hope you're able to pick one up at some point! I'm definitely an advocate of multiple functions housed under one faceplate, and will certainly add Ghost to my ever-growing wishlist of modules to research and/or eventually obtain.

Thanks for the advice on starting slow with a few modules at a time, it's tough to bridle my excitement and approach the whole situation with patience and common sense rather than just dive in like part of me wants to! Perusing the forums here, the multitude of information available from manufacturers, retailers, YouTube, Reddit etc as well as help from people like yourself has been priceless and so helpful. I truly appreciate your time and words.

A mixer with stereo output, with its pan controls, would partially solve this problem.
I have a Tesseract unit Mixer+Master Out
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/tesseract-modular-tex-mix-4-mono-channels
and
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/tesseract-modular-tex-mix-master-section
Good quality-price ratio.
This module has send-return outs, mute switches and it's expandable.

Ghost packs so much sound shaping into a single module it's impressive. Delay, Reverb, Compression (with side chain), VCA, multiple distortions, multi-mode filter PLUS the effects chain can be reordered with a single button press. To be honest I added it here because I want one, and I think it'd be awesome for a small standalone system.

Admittedly separate modules for all of the above will have greater flexibility, but also at greater space and greater cost. None will provide the instant gratification of a single module that does them all simultaneously.

The fun thing about modular is figuring out what works best for each us personally

Common advice to everyone is to get a bigger case than you think you'll need. AND start slow. Get a few modules at a time. Use them for a while to learn what you'd like to add next.

Pam's, Plaits and headphone out is enough to start making noises

Indeed! Cheap and effective. Weird it was not listed here so far, I felt the gap was to be closed :)

--
cmn

Thread: MI clones ?

Totally agree. Solid, quality built and great value also in terms of HP space.
At the moment I have 2 MI clones (uTides2, nRings) + Ornament & Crime:
ModularGrid Rack
but planning to add several more MI clones and other exciting new gear (the COCO family).

--
cmn

if you want to use your computer with modular buy an ES-8, that way you can send each signal separately to your computer and EQ to your hearts content there.

Also think about the frequency of your sounds and try to layer your sounds by octave range. This will result in a cleaner mix

Sometimes on filters you get different outputs like bandpass or highpass outputs which are good to use when you already have your bass sorted.

Maybe something like this..?

ModularGrid Rack

•Swapped Plaits for smaller 8hp Calsynth variant for space conservation
•Swapped Ghost for Pico DSP and Ampla Versio modules for FX and Filter
•Added Headphone out

Does this seem viable? Any noticeable red flags? I could potentially add another Pico Drums to expand percussion/sampling capabilities or maybe a Disting MK4?

Idem que el otro "CLAVSTRO sq1 en la caja - RADIO - picotrig"
Las cajas y la radio lo harían erica synths sample drum,
irían por 2 canales a parte, tendrían su propio fx, y su volumen se controla por 2 atenuadores o se controlan en el propio sample drum

atenuadores:
necesito un atenuador de esos pequeñitos y rojos que valen 30€, se lo pongo a los platos.
2 atenuadores para el mixer doepfer
2 atenuadores para sample-drum

mixer doepfer:
ahí tenemos bombo, plato, dfam, plonk
para que el bombo no tenga mucho fx, le pondría un puntito de paneo, para que no coja mucho fx (casi todo el tiempo estaría el fx en reverb...)

So i have decided to get rid of the Filtamp aswell as Chips and Cells, attached is a screenshot of what my eurorack looks like now. Any more suggestions on what Modules would be awesome to get (mixers, amplifiers, filters (i will look into ripples and forbidden planet))? I thought about getting MI Beads and the Erica Synths Fusion VCO 2 as a second voice. Sequencing will be done by the Keystep Pro. Maybe you have some more ideas :) my setup for now
-- bibop

It might sound redundant, but I suggest you play with it for a while without planning or adding anything. Adding a second VCO might be early now IMO.

Modular level is much higher than line level, so an output module (Ladik, Erica, 4ms, etc) will solve some of the problem. I believe, but I could be wrong, that the Doepfer mixer you're using sends everything out as mono signals. While I'm a big fan of mono mixes, the muddiness you are experiencing is likely due to the fact the the individual outs from your modules aren't going into a traditional mixer, then adjusted for the combined mono out.

It also occurs to me, that if each sound is being output first through its own VCA, you might have better luck with the output from the Doepfer (and its attenuators).

Hey 33PO ///
Thanks for your input and the suggested palette case build, this is so awesome!

The bigger case is eminent, my brother actually does finishing/cabinetry work, so I think it would actually be a fun project for us to team up on and build a custom case that's more accommodating for 300-400hp and beyond. That being said, I'd still like a mobile, self contained Jam-Box of sorts and your build above is definitely along the lines of what I'm hoping to achieve, so thank you again, I really appreciate your thoughts and guidance!

I wasn't aware of the Delta-V. After doing a little research, it looks like a great module and perfect for what I would need, thanks so much for putting that in front of me!

I guess my only question would be if Ghost is more than I would need for the smaller setup? Would I be better off swapping it for two smaller modules? Maybe a Versio and a filter of some sort?

Again, I'm inexperienced and a complete amateur, so I truly appreciate your words of wisdom! This is so helpful! I can't thank you enough!

Okay i did not expect this thread to go like this....

Get a bigger case. TipTop Mantis is a favorite for it's value / high quality

If the 62hp case is too irresistible, here's a small self contained system would be fun to jam with

ModularGrid Rack

3u:
Pam's for sequencing gates and clocked modulation
Pico Seq for note sequencing
Plaits to generate a wide range of sounds
BIA for Kicks / Bass and weird sounds
Delta-V for function generator / VCA
Pico Drums for samples
Ghost for FX

1u:
Steppy for gate sequencing
Chainable stereo mixers

My current rack is this 7U Intellijel that is 100% full (except for the 1U row):
ModularGrid Rack

I found a drawer in my shed that is just a bit larger than 6U 84 hp and at 10cm deep, it's just perfect. I'm going to put rails and power in there (Konstant Labs StrongPWR). For drums and sequencing, I was originally looking at the LXR and a battleship sequencer. But I realized that's just not how I work. I prefer minute control over minute details of randomness a la Autechre and for that, I’ve had a great time with Pamela recently. It's a little elaborate to set up, but it's giving me great results. So I’d start my drum pod based on Pam's in combination with my Oxi. Here's a view of a possible long-term evolution. Never mind the layout - everything left of the gap is what I already have and right could be added:
ModularGrid Rack

I'm adding Tymp Legio and two Skull&Circuits modules for drums. The latter sound very promising and versatile. The former… I really love my current Versio. That's why I’m adding a second here as well. And a Manis Iteritas for the bass part (which could also be done with Skull's Can I Kick It, I think). Punch is there to combine with the noise module.

The existing 7U would then gain some free space, which I could fill up for example like this (same idea - left is existing, right is added):
ModularGrid Rack

The CP3 would replace the Ladik mixer, which I’m barely using as I send everything via the ES-9 to AUM on an iPad. Punk - it's visually great (and sounds great, too) and I can always use more effects.

An important addition is the NE (again!) Vox Digitalis, which I’m planning to use as a sort of microsequencer or triggered by Pam's (hence the RJ45 interconnect, btw). EN Cursus is there as one idea to expand the sonic palette.

Then I want something to experiment with evolving melodies. I haven't decided on the right module yet. That Bard Quarter (also useful as a quant), CVlization and Bloom are there as a kind of mental support that each of those are interesting in there own right.

What do you think?

Both will be powered on the same electrical circuit in the home, sharing grounds. I hope that is sufficient to use both racks interconnected in many ways? I do have interference at the moment from time to time, when I connect the USB of my iPad to the ES-9. I'm hoping that Konstant's filtered bus boards could help with that.

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

Hello! I'm a relative newcomer to the world of modular synths and I'd like some advice on how to reduce the "muddiness" of my output. My basic knowledge tells me it's probably a result of having multiple sounds in overlapping frequencies, but I rarely see racks with EQ and that's my usual solution for that sort of thing. Anyone have recommendations or resources for me?

Currently I pipe everything through a Doepfer A-138n and it just goes into my computer or amp for me to listen to it. My preliminary research shows me info about output modules but I haven't been able to find any concise resources on the topic overall.

Thank!

message sent by one of the people above to my inbox lol:

Wunderbar, Herr greenfly from toodee
Received Today, 16:31
Please don’t call me names, you may not like logic and facts but if you insist on living in a fantasy world, please stay in there and don’t engage with others.
You’re one of those weak minds who ignore parts of the argument that they can’t respond to (like you just did - or is reading a full sentence difficult for you, a recurring theme with you as I understand?) because, well, deep down you know as well as I do that you’re full of shit and have absolutely 0 knowledge on synths but still insist weirdly on sharing that uninformed opinion with others to boost your self-esteem, that’s just sad and so cringe …

^ example of silly person because of course behringer characterising a silly purist with a big nose is anti-semitic lol

It's only some silly people on here that think Behringer is bad, they don't mind Arturia ripping off the exact same code as what you have in Brains.

-- greenfly

What's silly is not doing research then calling other people silly. Or maybe you're ok with anti-semitism (https://www.vice.com/en/article/wxe7qx/a-major-synth-company-created-this-fake-product-to-attack-a-journalist) and scare tactics against criticism (https://cdm.link/2018/06/behringer-have-sued-dave-smith-instruments-forum-posters-for-defamation/) ?
The code wasn't "ripped off", it's open-source, and Emilie said several times she was fine with it. But to understand that this isn't the issue most people have with Behringer, it takes more than half a second of thinking, then some boring reading, and then some more taxing brain activity, all of that before posting stuff. Ah, who does that on the internet nowadays, amarite ?

--- Voltage control all the things ---

Updated the first case taking into account Shakespeare's suggestions:

ModularGrid Rack

I have the Polaris in there for now as I think it'll be a solid filter and I like the phase shifting capability, but the NE Ampla and/or Lacrima Versio modules appear to offer more functionality in addition to the filter aspect?

It's only some silly people on here that think Behringer is bad, they don't mind Arturia ripping off the exact same code as what you have in Brains.

I have all these

ModularGrid Rack

They are all good - the clones are space savers and built very well, I never have issues with them.

There is no question of ethics as Emile made her code open source.

So i have decided to get rid of the Filtamp aswell as Chips and Cells, attached is a screenshot of what my eurorack looks like now. Any more suggestions on what Modules would be awesome to get (mixers, amplifiers, filters (i will look into ripples and forbidden planet))? I thought about getting MI Beads and the Erica Synths Fusion VCO 2 as a second voice. Sequencing will be done by the Keystep Pro. Maybe you have some more ideas :) my setup for now

A distortion unit from Little Fish Audio.
A very simple build, great 1st or second, took me 30 minutes.
And OK distortion. I found (as you can see in the test section) that I got the best results (for my taste) with sequenced notes and using an LFO to modify symmetry. Your taste may vary, of course.

Build

This is from the manual:

"...with a range of 22 Hz to 22 kHz in the audio frequency mode.

In low frequency mode, the total range is
2.4 mHz (a period of 7 minutes) to 180 Hz, with
1 Hz when the knob is centred."

In other words, Orbit 3's LOW mode can get you into audio rates (up to 180 Hz), but I don't know how that compares to Zlob's module and if that is an improvement for your purposes.

Hi,

Does anybody have experience with this company's modules? I am looking to extend my drum capabilities and their Metal-O-Tron II and Can I Kick It? are looking nice. For the Metal-O-Torn, there's a little selection of clips on YouTube. But for the Kick, there's one demo where it plays in the background with the Metal, and another build guide that has it playing in the background as well. Both sound extremely promising but it's hard to judge by the lack of material online.

The company is based in Belgium, like me. Worst case, I can drive by them after work and let you all know how it went ;-)

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

Hello,
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but maybe check out Joranalogue's Orbit 3:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/joranalogue-audio-design-orbit-3

Always happy to deal with @Jihel :)

Enjoy the module :)

Thanks bro, this thread is 2 years old, I just came back to thanks everyone that helped me to start.
I actually have the VB.
Picture of my rack in my last message 🙂
Regards,
-- Zederwald

haha! nice!

Thanks bro, this thread is 2 years old, I just came back to thanks everyone that helped me to start.
I actually have the VB.
Picture of my rack in my last message 🙂
Regards,

Are there any chaos modules that have the ability to go from LFO rates to audio rates "smoothly"? Ideally with some kind of semi-controlled rate knob like in the zlob Diode Chaos. Diode Chaos almost gets there but it barely touches audio rate and doesn't seem to have a ton of room on the knob for exploring up there.
I could do this with a lfo/oscillator like the Pittsburgh oscillator and a clock-based chaos module like the NLC Squid Axom but then the rhythm would not be chaotic, only the voltage.

I suggest adding a Voltage Block to modulate the BIA

Check out:

Hey Shakespeare ///
Thank you so much for your feedback! This is exactly the kind of information I need!

I've had my eye on the Zadar, I just wasn't sure if it was as capable or versatile as Maths. I was definitely not excited about how much space Maths takes up in a 62hp case as it's all pretty valuable real estate. I hadn't come across the NE Versio module in my research, so I appreciate your insight, that's a great suggestion! I had thrown the Intellijel Digiverb 1u tile up top as I would love to have some reverb, I imagine the Versio is much more powerful with more control. There's also the Pico DSP (it's a mere 3hp), would that be comparable? Which Versio Module were you thinking? My thought process was that the NE Vol Ruina would be my filter, the distortion was just kind of a bonus... If I omit this module and go for a Versio would I still need a filter?

The larger case is certainly much more alluring and I feel if I don't break down and go for it now, I will eventually go that route, I just kind of like the challenge (and portability) of a smaller case! What would you add to fill out a 104hp case just out of curiosity?

Again, I can't thank you enough for your time and your words, this is all so incredibly helpful!

I don't think either of these systems really do the trick, especially the second (that one has only a single drum voice, nothing else, which isn't in line with your stated goals).

For the first system: yes Maths is great and does lots of stuff, but in a 62-hp system, it takes up too much space. And the NE distortion module is fine, but it does only one thing. I'd consider removing these two modules and replacing them with something like the following: XAOC Zadar, a Noise Engineering Versio module, and whatever 4-hp module you think might be useful (the Q-Bit Nano-Rand might be fun, since you have no random source or S+H here). That'll cost you a little more, but it will pack a much greater wallop.

A much better idea though would be to move up to the 104hp version of this same case, and fill in the space you don't want to fill immediately with some blank panels (you can even make them out of cardboard). You're going to want the space eventually.

Hi, nice people,

So funny to read this thread, less than 2 years after my first message.
My research was based on a modular system that would "not be the center of my Techno Setup"
How could I be so naive ...haha.
I would like to thank you all guys, @Lugia @Farkas @the-erc.
You and the eurorack-modular community on other platforms have been so helpful.
Your recommendations, combined to my tastes, needs, and restrictions, thousands hours of Youtube videos, brought me to a 208 + 176 hp full of modules.
I'm now reaching my goal to have a single machine, based on random that I could play for hours in a live techno performance.
It's not perfect, for sure (any optimisation is still welcome !!!) but I feel happy and peacefull for now :)
Note that I still have the Roland TR-8S for "Classic" drums patterns, and for sure the beatstep pro.

I made some videos on Youtube if you like, but the best is to come ...

Thank you all guys !

Cédric

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2053328.jpg

Hello to all.

Does anyone know and has tested the clones of the MI modules of After Later Audio?
I have never bought clones of anything and I don’t like the idea.
But now, many MI modules are out of stock and the second hand market is going crazy.
I don’t like the idea of clones but I hate speculation!

So I wondered about After Later Audio and its MI clones.

Are they well constructed?
Do they sound good?
Are they comfortable to play?

Are they correct or ethically questionable?

Thanks for your opinion.

Finnally it got solved despite still have no communication with @grooveserfer but after a month the module arrived, I don't know if something happened to the user or he just sent it and turn off any will of communication, anyway I got mine and hope @slim has his too

As usual, smart contact and fine transaction with @Slim
Recommended Trader !
Thx for all :-)

Thread: vpme.de Qex

...Anyone happen to have a picture of the connections with arrows showing what goes where? ...
-- Thyratron88

hmmm
qex has to be right of QD main module
there aren't that much possibilities to align the connections!?
see the picture on https://vpme.de/qex/

*EDIT
the 16 pin connector has a POWER label at the bottom.
This indicates the position of the -12V / red wire of your ribbon cable

Thread: vpme.de Qex

Just got one of these QEX modules from Perfect Circuit. I was hoping the instructions had an actual picture of what connects to what exactly. It say to install centered on the pins and is easy to get wrong, then says do not connect the wrong way because damage may or will be caused to module. Also make sure not to bend pins. Anyone happen to have a picture of the connections with arrows showing what goes where? Thanks for the help.

Cheers ///
I have two potential builds for a 62HP Intellijel Palette Case and I need some handholding, and/or advice from more experienced people who are willing to offer it!

ModTwo:
ModularGrid Rack

ModSix:
ModularGrid Rack

I am very new to the world of Eurorack Modular, but not distant... I have an array of various synthesizers, drum machines and grooveboxes. The Make Noise 0-Coast has been my introduction to this awesome new world of sonic sounds and I've been saturating myself with information here on ModularGrid, YouTube, Perfect Circuit etc.

The proposed cases above are based on my amateur research and what (I think) my needs and goals are:
•Self-contained
•Sequencing capabilities
•Voice and some form of percussion
•Quality Build (and sound!)
•Intuitive introduction to modular synthesis
•Reasonable cost (I'd like to keep it under $2k)

Ultimately, the final build will be a combination of the two cases, if one doesn't overshadow the other in your humble opinion(s).

Do I have everything I need to make music within these cases? Are there better or more conservatively sized modules than the ones I've picked out? Are there unnecessary modules or any I may have accidentally doubled-up on, maybe one module that can perform the functions of another one and the limited space would be better suited for something else?

I truly appreciate any advice you're willing to offer, be it negative or positive or even "meh.." Thank you for your time and I'll look forward to any responses!

Keep on and stay gold,
Trevor

This thing is brilliant. Perfectly simple and 1000% useful.

maybe something like that until a certain point ...
https://noisyfruitslab.com/2022/01/08/mobile-power-for-eurorack-synthesizer/
-- NoisyFruitsLab

Nice

maybe something like that until a certain point ...
https://noisyfruitslab.com/2022/01/08/mobile-power-for-eurorack-synthesizer/

ecolabaudio.de

The module seems to have many functionalities, but it seems that cv modulation is not one of them.
Maybe a lot of digital effects in 14HP at a ridiculous price.

curious about what brand you using for your Lithium Battery? I'm searching some to be able to travel w my 62hp Palette :)
-- davebrohl

Using this battery I found on amazon, again it is allowable for airline travel as it is 66W (needs to be under 100W). I have traveled by air with it and security did not give it a second look, although they thought my field microphone I was carrying was some sort of taser because of how the Zoom mics look :).
The battery lasts in my little 48hp for at least 5 hours and probably more as I have not done a real test of how long I can go before it dies or start seeing weirdness in the modules.

https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Rechargeable-12000mAh-Multi-led-indicator/dp/B00ME3ZH7C?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Is this any different than these ?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/11728
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/11729

--- Voltage control all the things ---