I used the tape delay in disting for ages - and still do, even though I've also got a magneto now - & 2 fx aids ... it's very good for what it is...

-- JimHowell1970

For sure. The tape delay, tuner, and quantizer were about the only algorithms I was using before I sold Disting. Sounds really good.

still would like a dedicated delay so will probably chuck that in.
-- Delicatessen

Remember that you can flash the Ruina Versio to several different delay modules, plus you have Mimeophon and the FX Aid and Disting, which both have several great delays. I still think you might be trying to double (or triple) up on too many functions for the space you have available to start. Again, it's your synth. I just know what did and didn't work for me. I made a lot of the noob mistakes.
Hope you have fun building your synth!

ModularGrid Rack
Alright, here's what I would do based upon your initial guidance of a techno focused drum machine with a mono voice, and my own experience. Above all, you will need to just decide on a couple modules at first and figure out what you are really missing, then go from there. I'm just a dude on the internet, so it's ultimately your decision. These are just some ideas to think about.
First, Three Sisters is not exactly unobtanium, but in my opinion it is overpriced due to scarcity. In its place, I would recommnd the FSS Timbral Sculptor as a multimode filter that includes a wavefolder. It's awesome. Check out DivKid's demo video.
Second, I am not a fan of Maths or Disting. Sold both and never looked back, but they are good for learning purposes. I've never subscribed to Jim's "modular synthesis vs. synthesis with modules" argument regarding Maths. The Moog System 55 and Roland System 700 didn't have Maths... Was that not modular synthesis? Anyway, Quadrax with the QX expander should serve your function generator and logic needs. Add Pam's Pro Workout for all sorts of clocked, random, and quantized waves, and that's a pretty powerful combo. Pam's is the brain that locks everything together. You can get weird swing and off-time gates with the Quadrax/QX combo, but most techno is going to require a pretty tight groove.
I mentioned Vortices in my previous comment. This will give you mono and stereo channels, CV control over mixing (something you were missing in your previous iterations), and clickless muting of channels if you track down the V-Mutes expander. You will want channel muting if you are making techno.
Plaits is so versatile. For a small rack, I think you will find it incredibly valuable. It can serve as a mono synth voice, chord generator, percussion, noise, jack of all trades. Add that to BIA and a good kick drum, and you are in business.
I would ditch the Orion phaser. I think there are better uses of that space, and both Disting and the FX Aid XL have phaser algorithms if you think you'll be doing a lot of phasing (the FSS Timbral Sculptor also does a convincing phaser, btw).
Some of the stuff you chose might be a good purchase once your rack expands beyond 208hp (and, oh yes, it will expand beyond 208hp), like the Compare 2 and compressors. As it is now, you want to get the most out of your rack without sacrificing playability. All of those little 2hp and 4hp modules that you are trying to squeeze in will be a source of frustration. You won't be able to get your hands in between the mess of cables.
Finally, you still have 14hp to play with and I saved you $1100.

Have fun and good luck!

Just listened to some old Nu Groove stuff. A lot of it sounds like 909 or processed 808/909 samples to me, but "Your Love (Club)" by Aphrodisiac reminds me of the Kawai R100, a late 80s drum machine, which was used by a lot of the Wax Trax bands (Ministry, etc.).
Good luck!

A couple things: I second Jim's recommendation against the Instruo matrix mixer. Would recommend something like the Doepfer one at first, though it is much larger.
Also, you have way too many compressors here. MSCL, Messor, and Ghost? I imagine you want sidechain functionality which can be done in a modular fashion with an envelope follower/inverted envelope and VCA. If you want "character" compression, maybe find a single one that appeals to you most. For "character," I've really been enjoying the SSF Vortices mixer. It's subtle but awesome, but you can do feedback patching to get even more grit and character. I handle more transparent compression outside the rack.
Good luck and have fun!

I've read a lot of good things about the Expert Sleepers ES9. Never used it myself, but have definitely considered getting one.

If you can track down a Voltage Block, that will be a good addition to your modulation sources. You probably want to look for a matrix mixer, or at the very least a Happy Nerding 3xMIA, to combine/attenuate/polarize modulation sources.
Have fun and good luck!

From the sound examples you shared, I would recommend Plaits (or one of its clones) with the newest firmware for your second voice. I mostly use analog voices, but have come around to the versatility and charms of Plaits recently. The new FM mode and many of the older modes just sound great. Quadrax is cool, but suffers from some of the same problems as a lot of Mutable Instruments' stuff in that there are button combinations and mode switching and color combos that were hard for me to remember. If that doesn't bother you, Quadrax with the expander is powerful. I like WYSIWYG but that usually means more space/more modules/bigger rack.
The biggest question you should ask yourself as you are building a small rack is how much of a trade-off between knob-per-function and mode-switching/button combos are you willing to endure. If that seems like a headache, definitely plan for a bigger rack.
Have fun and good luck!

I would definitely want more modulation sources. Envelopes, LFOs, random/chaos, etc. Something like Zadar or Batumi would be a good addition to that hole you have in the top row. You could always add external effects to conserve space.
Have fun and good luck.

Just copy and paste the URL.

Hmmm... I would disagree that modular artists are only making techno or ambient, though modular is great for those styles. I know the Melvins, for instance, just completed a modular album of Throbbing Gristle covers. Like any synth music, modular is only limited by your imagination and/or choice of modules. What kind of music are you making?
I'm kind of at the point where I don't need to shop for much gear to explore the kinds of sounds I like, so I'm not sure what's going on in the "synthfluencer" and retail world. Everything is cyclical, so I'm sure there will be ups and downs.
I've found that running everything through my rack is fun... guitars, bass, drum machines, vocals, keys, you name it. If you don't have a preamp of some sort (or multiple preamps!), get one.
This post sounds more like you are bored with the instrument you've built. The Fender Stratocaster has basically been the same for 70 years, and it's still inspiring people. Dive back into your rack and try something new.
Have fun and good luck!

AKG K371. I love them. I had seen some good reviews and found a fair deal on them. I needed something to replace a well worn pair of Sennheiser HD280 that I was accustomed to for years. The AKGs are so much more accurate. I'll probably stick with them going forward.

Don’t worry, I won’t buy it. I save my bucks for Marilyn’s NEW Rehearsal.
-- Sweelinck

Lol!

I've only purchased through Modular Grid, never sold, but I have sold quite a few items elsewhere. My advice would be to list things at a fair price, accurately describe EVERYTHING, use PayPal goods and services for everyone's protection, and ship quickly with sturdy packaging. I know a lot of folks like PayPal friends and family, but I'm not sure I would be comfortable using that with someone who has minimal feedback.
Have fun and good luck.

How well does Octatrack handle modular level signal? You may find that you need a few modules to step down to line level or instrument level. I don't have an Octatrack so I have no idea if the modular signal is too hot or clips.

Progspiration is offering excellent guidance. You will need more space to get the most out of this. You can read back through years of beginner posts here, and so many of those new to modular have a similar tiny case idea, and the guidance is and will always be the same. Yes, a tiny case will make sound, but it won't be interesting for very long. Get a bigger rack to start with. You will want and need to expand quickly if you don't want to get frustrated with the limitations of this proposed palette case. The goal is for this instrument to provide years of fun and inspiration, so give yourself room to grow into a versatile rack that won't be stale in a few months.
Maybe it only makes sense after you get your hands on a few modules. My own initial plan was actually to have a decent sized 9u 104hp beginner rack, and that quickly doubled within a year's time. Once you understand the value and necessity of attenuverters, envelopes, LFOs, VCAs, switches, S&H, logic, and all of the other stuff that makes a synthesizer work, I think the general beginner guidance starts to make more sense.
Have fun and good luck!

I kinda feel like I would swap the Turing Machine or Pachinko for Pamela's New/Pro Workout and VCAs, but only you know how you will use it.
How do you like that Hermippe VCF? That one seems pretty cool.

I would recommend you look at the patch examples in the Pressure Points manual. This is a very basic building block synth patch that they call "Tactile Keyboard," I believe.
Have fun and good luck.

Yes, if you run the E352 output to a VCA. Trigger an envelope with your Pressure Points and have the envelope open your VCA.

I see that you have cross-posted this on multiple forums. Looks like you are getting reasonable guidance on MW.
Good luck and have fun.

Yes, I usually have the Doepfer spring reverb feedback output patched to a VCA or low pass gate and then into a delay and/or filter. Controlled feedback is so fun.
Let us know how it goes once you start adding some modules.

If you want to process external sounds, I would recommend an input module that includes an envelope follower (so that the incoming sound also produces a control voltage that triggers other things in the system). Doepfer makes an inexpensive one, but I didn't care for that one, so I use a Future Sound Systems TG5 which is killer. I do love the Doepfer spring reverb though. In fact, I recently weighed the pros and cons of the Erica, Intellijel, and Doepfer spring reverbs, and decided that the Doepfer was the best option for me. Finally, you may want to check out the Soma Lyra FX module for deep, dark delays. Seems like it might be valuable for the sounds you are trying to make.
Have fun and good luck.

Hi there!!

I was looking for a new module and unfortunately the manufacturer brand is missing:
OXI from spain
and the new module is CORAL, 14HP polyphonic multi-engine synth voice for Eurorack
https://www.synthanatomy.com/2023/02/oxi-instruments-coral-14hp-polyphonic-multi-engine-synth-voice-for-eurorack.html

-- Tourette

Feel free to enter it in if the manufacturer has not already.

Thread: Starter rack

Should I maybe swap the maths out for marbles or something similar??
-- Jerkson

These are two VERY different modules. What exactly do you need and want the module in this space to do? Why Maths? Why Marbles?

Ha! I was just thinking about this. As I get to know my rack better, I actually do find myself half-wishing for a more uniform black panel look. When I was first getting started, I didn't really care and almost preferred an eclectic assortment. I'm getting a little more conservative the longer I do this though. Haha. It's funny that it matters to any of us, but it does for whatever inexplicable reason.

Polyphony is possible but incredibly expensive and severely limited in modular. Saving presets is not a benefit of modular.
It sounds like what you want or need is a fixed architecture synth like the DSI Prophet Rev2 or something similar.
Have fun and good luck.

Natural sort of Rack names

In Rack view under Switch and in the command center the names are now sorted "naturally" instead by string.

was:
1. Rack 1
11. Rack 11
2. Rack 2

now:
1. Rack 1
2. Rack 2
11. Rack 11

-- modulargrid

Yes, there was a message in the Change Log a few weeks ago.

My goal:
I want this rack to be focused only one thing, and thats glitchy percusive/drum sounds. I'm not interested in creating a basic 'kick snare hat' sort of drum machine since I already have a Digitakt and RD9 for more conventional drum sounds. What I really want is to be able to explore sound design but in a rythmic way, both in terms of sequencing and sound modulation.

• One of the most important effects I wan to have is a beatrepeat which would allow me to modulate the lenght of the repeats triggered randomly at clocked intervals. Would Databender be able to do that? Are there any better alternatives?
    • I have not included any VCAs, envelopes or utility modules, this is becuase the three voices I have in the rack already have built in VCAs and envelopes,

-- Adrian97

I would recommend looking at Qu-Bit's Prism along with the Data Bender. I have both, and get more controllable/predictable beat repeat style effects from Prism. I love Data Bender, but it kind of does what it wants, and it's much more glitchy. It takes a little work to make it "musical," and if you aren't planning to add more utilities/envelopes/etc. (which you absolutely should if you want to get the most out of modular), you may find yourself a little frustrated with it. I've found that Prism is pretty awesome for a Warp Records kind of vibe.
Have fun and good luck!

Nice. Really enjoyed that. Nord Drum and VW sound great.

Agree with Jim. Well rounded and playable isn't going to happen in 62hp.
If I may ask, what is it that is drawing you to modular that you aren't getting in other formats? To get a well rounded eurorack, you will likely need to spend a considerable amount of money over a long period of time. You mention that you just want to try stuff out, which can be a lot of fun, but may be very frustrating creatively (and financially) if you you don't have much of a plan for your initial investment. If you must stick with 62hp to begin, I would recommend concentrating on a single one of your initial goals, either random abrupt percussive stuff OR nice melodic harmonious stuff.
Good luck and have fun.

Yeah, I would recommend DFAM with Basimilus Iteritas Alter (with plenty of modulation and effects) if you want to get in a similar vein. Soma inhabits a different kind of universe, so you won't get the exact same experience, of course. Both DFAM and BIA are readily available and reasonably priced.

I second everything @wishbonebrewery said. All great advice.
I unpatch almost everything every time I sit down to play. I have just a few "normalled" connections, but mostly start from scratch. I've tried to eliminate modules that don't encourage experimentation, or get in the way of creativity. Along the way, I've also gotten stuck in ruts but after watching some demo videos or trying to recreate a sound someone else has recorded (especially Autechre, holy cow.) I've had a few epiphanies about new ways to utilize what I do have. If you have a very small setup, you will be limited, so maybe have a few modules on standby to switch in and out for inspiration.
Above all, try to make it fun. If you are stuck, just experiment and make some crazy noise for a while. You might surprise yourself with a cool new tone.

Yes, this is much better option than double ADSR. Do you think that I should replace Pam's with this module or this is just great addition to Pam's features?

-- luinnar

Keep Pam's and Zadar. Pam's is the heartbeat of my entire rack. I mostly set it and forget it and tweak other modules, but it drives almost everything in my rack.
Have fun and good luck.

Yowza! That's a beautiful rack. Infinite possibilities and ergonomically perfect. Would love to hear something from this.
How do you like the Leibniz system? I haven't quite wrapped my head around that yet.
Thanks for sharing.

A lot of the reason to get into modular is the ability to turn anything into a percussive sound source. It's only limited by your imagination. An oscillator, wavefolder, low pass gate, etc... Even a self-oscillating filter, VCA, and envelopes... That's what makes modular fun.
There are plenty of drum oriented modules like Basimilus Iteritas Alter, Plonk, and the now discontinued WMD stuff, but drum machines are far cheaper. Just depends on what you are trying to do, and how deep you want to get into creating your own sounds.
Good luck and have fun.

It's discontinued now, but Warps from Mutable Instruments is a useful wave folder/ring mod/crossfader/TZFM thing (further expanded with the Parasites firmware.) I'm not always crazy about digital modules or remembering modes and that kind of thing, but I've found Warps to be pretty darn useful. You might find something like that valuable in 10hp.
Also, shout out to Sam Prekop! I'm a huge fan of all of his and John McEntire's projects.
Good luck and have fun.

What kind of music are you making? What functions do you feel are missing? Is there something you wish you could do, but can't?
We will probably need some more details so that we can help. Otherwise, people might just start listing random modules.

Future Sound Systems Gristleizer TG4. Enjoy!

I process external drum machines through eurorack using two of these to boost the individual outs: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/blue-lantern-modules-booster-array They are cheap and work wonderfully for that purpose.
I also use a lot of other stuff to process the sounds, but the Worng Soundstage is a cool option for stereo mixing.
Have fun and good luck.

I think 104hp is going to be too small for the amount of variation you are hoping to achieve (twinkly and abrasive). To maximize space and gain a lot of different functions in 10hp with no menu diving, I HIGHLY recommend one of the Noise Engineering Versio modules. You can flash them with different firmware (super easy process) for the task at hand. I love the Desmodus (reverb/delay), Melotus (granular), and Ruina (distortion) firmwares. Melotus could cover your Clouds needs in a smaller footprint and give you access to even more functions if you choose to pursue them. This is one of the better investments I have made in euro.
Have fun and good luck!

Thread: Last 8 Hp

Maybe a sequential switch of some sort? Doepfer makes a decent and inexpensive, but limited, one in 4hp, though there are many different ones that could offer some fun alternatives.

Thread: Last 8 Hp

With a blank panel until you figure out what you need! :)
Seriously though, what functions do you feel you are missing, or what would you like to be able to do that you can't right now?

Just a word of advice, that section of your second row with a bunch of 2hp modules will not be fun to use. If you have to have modules that small, it will be best to spread them out around your rack if you actually hope to make use of them. Better yet, invest in a larger case so that you can utilize modules that have some actual room to tweak knobs and plug cables in, and only use tiny modules to fill gaps. You will thank yourself later.
Have fun and good luck!

Thanks for building it! :)
I have mine perma-patched. Use it all the time.

Yes, I definitely checked out all of the multipads. I'm not working much with loops for drums, but plan to use some of those features for vocal samples (all processed through the rack). The Nord Drum looks cool, but I wasn't looking for synthesized drums as I can do a lot of that sound design in my rack or with the DFAM. The 32GB of memory in the Alesis was one of the selling points for me over the older Roland, though I see that Roland have just announced an updated SPD that looks strikingly like the Alesis with almost the exact same features (for more $, of course).
I'm not a drummer either, and believe it or not I'm not a huge fan of samplers, but it's great to have the ability to have that physical/human approach to rhythm in a largely robotic/sequenced system. As I mentioned, I was getting frustrated with the lack of nuance and dynamics in the modular drums that I had collected. With the velocity layers/multisamples in a decent sampler, that frustration is now gone.
I'm building a hybrid approach with the Alesis. I have MIDI out from one of my drum machines triggering samples from the multipad, so I can still program it in an X0X style without having to play everything via drumsticks, and I'm adding a Mutant Brain MIDI interface to my rack so that I can also trigger events and sequences from the multipad in the traditional way with sticks. It's exactly the approach I was hoping for all along, I just didn't realize that it could be done.
Yes, this approach is expensive too (as all eurorack is). But, the possibilities seem limitless, and I always felt incredibly limited with modular drums. I was able to sell off some of my drum modules to pay for the sampler, and the scope of sounds I have access to is now so much greater for the same amount of expense.
Again, this is just my experience. Your needs are probably much different than mine. I thought a dissenting opinion might be of interest to the conversation. :) The important part is to have fun, and that LXR looks like 100% fun. Just consider what it is you are really hoping to accomplish before you spend your hard earned cash.
Good luck!

Ha! Yeah, I pruned my filter obsession... er, I mean collection about six months ago.

I hate to play devil's advocate, but I'm actually going in the opposite direction with drum modules right now. I do a lot of rhythm-focused stuff so I invested a fair amount into modular drums and samplers, but found I just kept investing more and more because I couldn't quite get the nuance and sound I was looking for. I tried adding an MPC, but that didn't do the trick either. Finally, I added an Alesis Strike Multipad and that was the missing piece for me. Now, I am selling off most of my drum modules (still keeping a couple modules and drum machines).
That LXR looks great, and I actually considered picking up the desktop version. I'm sure you will get great (and fun!) results from it. In my experience though, drum modules can be an expensive slippery slope considering the additional sequencing and modulation needs to keep them interesting. Just wanted to throw that out there as something to consider. Your needs and experience may differ, of course.
Good luck and have fun!

It sounds great. Much cleaner than I expected. The knobs are too close together though. I need to figure out a better spot for it in my rack because it can be a little tricky to wiggle if it is next to other modules with lots of knobs.
I’m very happy with it. Love the sound. Glad I got this instead of a Small Stone. Ergonomics are not perfect.
The Kamieniec might have better features, but I don’t know that it would be worth the extra money for me.

I am an AJH fanboy so I tend to praise almost everything they make. Is there anything specific you would like to know?
I'm not familiar with the Thorn.Audio brand, but AJH has a good track record of building extremely high quality modules and excellent customer service. I'm happy with all of their products.

Warm Star Electronics has a module called The Bends in 10hp. That might be an option to look for. You can find them used occasionally and they are fairly inexpensive.