My understanding is that Surgeon uses an Electro Harmonix looper for live looping (can't remember which one), and an Octatrack for some sequencing duties. I seem to remember reading that he doesn't especially care for the Octatrack, but keeps coming back to it for some reason or another. I can totally identify with that. I keep trying to incorporate Elektron gear with my modular stuff, and can never quite get into that flow.

Yes, I would recommend that you don't sell Pam's just yet. It's magic may reveal itself to you later. I have mine mostly as a "set and forget" brain that ties my entire system together with a few channels that I change from time to time.
As MCGM said, the Maestro and other basic/utility modules will be useful. I like Voltage Block a lot for a sort of Elektron-style "p-lock" modulation sequencer. That might be a fun addition for you.
Have fun and good luck!

What are you trying to achieve that you can't do now? What kind of music are you making?

Usually called "DJ" filters. Erica Synths makes one:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/erica-synths-black-dj-vcf

Just a heads up, the black Maths is unobtanium at sane prices. I'd recommend looking at the standard silver panel if you are dead set on Maths.

Thread: Thread title

Across the industry I have experienced a +30% failure rate of Eurorack modules. This is unacceptable. These companies should be held responsible for their horrible, low quality production practices.
-- Humdrum

30% failure rate?!? I've not had a single module fail. Is the power in your rack suitable? Seems there might be something else going on.

I'm using an external rackmount compressor (Focusrite Compounder) at the moment, which works pretty well for what I'm doing. I have been tempted many times to get the L-1 Stereo Discrete Microcompressor in my rack though (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/l-1-stereo-discrete-microcompressor). It takes up a good amount of rack space but seems to be the closest thing to a higher end compressor in sound quality and features that you can get without spending a crazy amount of money.
Have fun and good luck.

Thread: Quantum rack

I believe you have to have a Unicorn account. It's an annual subscription. Totally worth it to support the site.
Have fun and good luck!

I have the After Later Audio Pixie full size clone with the newest firmware. Works and sounds great. Kind of ugly though.
Have fun and good luck!

Nice! Gives me kind of a brooding Warp Records vibe. Thanks for sharing.

Really enjoyed that. You took me on a journey. Thanks!

Matrix mixers are recommended pretty frequently here, and I would suggest investigating how you might use one of those to inject some life into your current workflow. They're fun for feedback patching, combining modulation sources, and using as parallel routing. The Doepfer A138 is awesome but large at 20hp. I'm sure there are smaller options.
Have fun and good luck!

All I can really say is that you only have too much of something if you don't use it and you don't have enough of something if you find yourself constantly reaching for something that isn't there. Other than that, it looks like a fun system if you enjoy the sounds and workflow. About 9u / 104hp is where I started really enjoying my system.
Have fun and good luck!

Looking at this from the perspective of a customer, I would personally assume the risk if I used Paypal f&f. I understand there is a risk going into the transaction this way. When the postal/shipping service receives the item, the seller is absolved of responsibility for the package. It would be kind, and expected, of the shipper to help with filing lost package claims and things like that, but the seller completed his or her end of the transaction. Your concern should be with the shipping company, and demanding an adequate response from them. That's how I look at it, anyway.

Sequencer > square vco > filter > vca > fx1 > mixer? No...

-- Sweelinck

I feel attacked. This is all I've been doing for the last week. I'm going through a Tangerine Dream "Rubycon" phase again. Haha

Yes. That's what I suggested initially. Give it a try and let us know if that's what you were hoping for.

Check out the Noise Engineering Quantus Pax if you want multiple quantized Voltage Block channels added to multiple random cv signals.

I think what you may want in this case is a precision adder.

*Edit: I just looked at your rack. Try adding the two signals together in the middle section of your MI Links to see if that does the trick.

I agree with 33PO's recommendations and would also add Schlappi Engineering.
Good luck and have fun!

I don't think my hands could fit in there to tweak all of those little knobs, but I'd be interested to hear some sounds from it. Share a demo tune!

In terms of music - I mostly do variations of ambient, but would want to do something more hard (industrial)

-- dithegrey

Sounds good. Depending on what other gear you already have, I'd say both of my filter recommendations remain in this case. QPAS for the spacey ambient side and FSS Timbral Sculptor for the heavier sounds.

QPAS is great. It has a very unique character that may or may not be what you are looking for. If you are looking for a more "vintage" sounding filter or something with self-oscillating resonance, QPAS might be a good second filter. Be sure to watch some demo videos (MylarMelodies and DivKid have good demos for QPAS). I would recommend taking a look at the Future Sound Systems Timbral Sculptor too. That thing never fails to impress me.
You didn't mention what kind of music you are hoping to make with modular. Maybe give us some details so that we can steer you in the right direction.
Have fun and good luck!

I've enjoyed having MI Warps in my rack. I don't always use a wavefolder so it's been nice to have the other algorithms available instead. the frequency shifter and delay that are included in the Parasites firmware are especially good.
Let us know what you decide!

Also, many Doepfer modules are fairly deep so make sure your rack is deep enough to accommodate them. I was interested in the A154/A155 combination, but my rack could not accommodate the depth of the A154.

Mm... In principle, I know there will be some potential which I will not be able to get. But I think that is part of my own process of learning... I like to think about the usage while I have the things in front of me... Im more a guy who understands things when I see them (and turn knobs with an oscilloscope in front of me) :)

-- sambarroso

I mean physically deep, as in inches/millimeters. Some racks are shallow in depth and cannot accommodate the physical dimensions of an 80mm modules (the A154 sequencer controller, for example). If you are building your own rack, give yourself enough space between the rails and the power headers to fit some of the deeper Doepfer modules.

You have a lot of real estate dedicated to the fixed filter bank, a very subtle module. I would consider eliminating that until you have expanded to a larger rack, and dedicate that space to VCAs that are more "hands on," the Doepfer Dual Quantizer, a sequential switch, and Pamela's New/Pro Workout as a master clock.
Also, many Doepfer modules are fairly deep so make sure your rack is deep enough to accommodate them. I was interested in the A154/A155 combination, but my rack could not accommodate the depth of the A154.
Finally, the layout you have here wouldn't be very ergonomic. Your cables will be criss-crossing and going all over the place. This is something you will figure out as you use your rack, so be prepared to move your modules several times until you settle on a layout that makes more sense. Think about how your 2600 is designed and try to mimic that signal flow as best you can.
Try to avoid 2hp-4hp modules unless absolutely necessary. You'll thank me later. It's tempting to squeeze in a tiny module to add some function that you need, but if you really want single function or one knob per function modules, bigger usually equals better when it comes to tweakability and fun. If you're trying to decide what to do with the remaining 2hp, put a blank panel there and invest in another case. It's hard to turn knobs with any precision when the knobs are tiny and buried in a sea of cables.
Good luck and have fun!

I'm also looking for a module that could do sampling, like cut-up, lopping and mangling of sorts any recommendations?

-- Meenthgrea

I think you are looking for Morphagene by Make Noise.
Have fun and good luck!

@cj18 great start

I really think that the patch bay would benefit from being in the middle row...
-- JimHowell1970

I think you're right. That would make more sense.

Looks like a fun rack. I think I would want the sequencer in the lower left so that the knobs are unobstructed, and the output mixer in the bottom right. That way CV signal flow starts in the bottom left, goes up to the slew and VCOs, and then audio travels left to right and down to the phaser/delay and audio mixer. You could always add another VCO module, more envelopes, and some DC-coupled VCAs, but this would be a lot of fun as is if you want to keep it uniform. I don't have any suggestions for power aside from make sure you have some headroom. Good luck!
ModularGrid Rack

My renegade party days are behind me, but as a thought experiment I put together a little travel rig for the mission at hand out of stuff I already have. More often than not, when I'm sitting at the rack exploring, I am pursuing Emptyset-ish or Surgeon-ish sounds. In fact, a considerable part of my rack is dedicated to music like that. Through more trial and error than I'd like to admit, I've settled on about 208hp of modular (plus a few outboard pieces) for that kind of stuff. I tried to make it smaller than that, but one of the constraints I will NOT give myself is cramped tiny modules with minimal or confusing controls and knotted cable spaghetti blocking the knobs. That's one of those things you only learn after trying it and failing miserably. A larger case has more to do with building a playable instrument than chasing a dragon or consumerism, at least for me and many others that participate in this forum. We all have our own process and self-imposed limitations, often philosophical/artistic/aesthetic, often financial, often spatial... I'm not Emptyset or Surgeon, and I'm definitely not a wealthy man, but I have an artistic vision too, in fact multiple different visions, approaches, and projects at any given time.
Another trial and error process led me to purchase and ultimately get rid of most of my Noise Engineering modules. For me, the UI and sounds didn't match the experience and results I was working towards. Doesn't mean they won't work for someone else, but I'm hesitant to recommend them now. There are several euro manufacturers like that for me, but I only know that after trying them out for myself.
So anyway, here's my portable thought experiment crushing, dissonant, and chaotic rack. Some rhythm, some noise, some distortion, some feedback, some lo-fi... Take the suggestions or leave them.
ModularGrid Rack

Sounds like you know where you want to go with it.
Have fun and good luck!

Just an update for anyone that may stumble across this in the future. I ultimately decided to purchase the new AJH Triple Cross. Three DC-coupled VCAs/crossfaders/panners. I already use a lot of AJH stuff (it's all awesome) and the Triple Cross is geared towards the uses that I had in mind for adding some extra VCAs.

This might be a case where semi-modular is the better option, especially if budget and size are of primary concern. What about the Moog DFAM? It's not going to give you all of the BIA sounds, but does a lot that BIA doesn't. More hands-on, still within the Moog ecosystem since you enjoy Mavis, and it's a techno beast. You could always add a small-ish modulation/effects rack to compliment the Moogs...
Something to consider.

To begin with, you will need some modulation sources. BIA needs a lot of modulation to shine. You could replace Steppy (it only generates triggers) with a NE Mimetic digitalis type sequencer (triggers and CV), which fits very well with BIA
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/noise-engineering-mimetic-digitalis-black
Pam's also gives you many trigger/modulation options.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/alm-busy-circuits-alm017-pamela-s-new-workout.
With the limited space you have, and given that the two voices are "complete" in themselves, perhaps you would not need a filter, but I would add some effects module (delay / reverb) and the leftover space some VCA, mixer for CV ....but I would definitely start with a bigger case.

-- ferranadsr

I agree with all of this. You will want and need a bigger case before you know it. To get the most out of any module, you will find the need for supporting modules. Supporting modules take up space. Imagine all of the functions in a fixed architecture synth or groovebox and then realize that you will need a lot of those functions, sometimes multiple copies of each function. Bigger case than you think you need is pretty much rule #1 in modular land.
Tweaking by hand is fun, but you only have two hands. BIA will require about six hands to get interesting grooves happening. I used the Voltage Block to get cool stuff happening when I had BIA. That's 8 lanes of sequenced modulation in 20hp, not to mention a gate source...
How will you be mixing? Do you want to automate volume and panning? Mixers, VCAs, and more modulation sources can help with this.
Unfortunately, minimal systems usually offer minimal results. The modular world will quickly eat up a lot of space and your bank account, so make sure you understand each part of what you're getting into. What is it that a tiny incomplete eurorack is offering that a groovebox with sequencer or fixed architecture synth doesn't offer?
Have fun and good luck!

*Edit - Just saw that Jim posted at the same time I did. I agree with all of Jim's thoughts regarding small racks.

Aren't there a few different filter types on the BassStation 2? You might find a small collection of inexpensive Doepfer filters would get you in the same ballpark. The A102, A103, and A124 might be good candidates. I've enjoyed every Doepfer filter I've used.
Let us know what you decide. Have fun and good luck!

Just saw that the Noise Engineering Basimilus Iteritas Alter is being discontinued. I thought, ok, maybe
an upgrade coming, but who knows, maybe the market is flooded and they are cutting their losses.
-- halbroome

No, I think the processor/CPU thingie that series is built on is being discontinued so they won't be able to make them anymore. I'm sure they have cool new stuff in the pipeline

The pandemic created an artificial boom in music instrument retail, not just eurorack. Was just reading something a few days ago about Fender having something like $100,000,000 in orders cancelled in 2022. People are using their meager expendable income on other leisure activities now.
Definitely a buyer's market for modules now. I still see people listing on Reverb for insane prices though.

Yeah, man! Gnarly Times A is the winner here! I don't know if you had Ukraine in mind when working on this, but it was very evocative of a wartorn landscape to me. Kind of an early industrial vibe too, which I love. Also, shout out to your Ohio friend. I'm always happy to hear from an Ohioan. :)
I don't know if you have tried out the Doepfer spring reverb (or the Intellijel). I bet you would get a lot of use out of the feedback path in one of those. I kept thinking I was hearing just a little bit of spring in your tracks. Good work! Thanks for sharing (and for the support on my recent track).

Might be worth looking at the 4ms Dual Looping Delay. It's a classic for a reason.
Have fun and good luck.

At the top of your screen, turn on Keyboard Shortcuts. Then hover over the module you would like to flip. Then press "F". Not as convenient as it used to be but it works.

Haven't shared anything in a long time, but I've been working on a new project. It's kind of heading in a minimal, glitchy, clicks and cuts kind of direction (think Oval or Vladislav Delay). I always hate the multi-track stuff I record, and find myself really enjoying my lo-fi one-take excursions, so that's what this is. No fancy panning or stereo tricks going on here, but a lot of my recent recordings have been leaning that way. I'll be sure to share the full project once I complete it. Not everyone's cup of tea as usual. No worries if it's not your thing.
https://ciernyvlk.bandcamp.com/track/m-r-mis-an-thrope

Made with this rack:
ModularGrid Rack
I'll let you all figure out which modules were used. :)
Thanks for your time.

Thread: Change Log

Push entire row of Modules

In the planner there are two new buttons that appear on hover to push one or more modules to the adjacent side.
This can also be used with shortcuts n and m.
The older shortcuts , and . to push only single modules still exist.
The button to flip modules is removed because I think that was not used enough and took too much space. The function is still there with shortcut f for flip.
-- modulargrid

dudes, the rotate/flip fuction was essential.

the way it worked before was way better.

please put it back / make Rotate available.
-- RunnyKine

I agree. Would prefer flip.
Also, it is more difficult to move 2-4hp modules around now. There is a very tiny space that you must grab.
Thanks for everything you do!

Thanks for the recommendations. All good choices. After doing a little more research and seeing your suggestions, I think I'm going to go with the Intellijel Quad VCA. I didn't realize it has cascading CV and Veils does not (at least according to a thread I was reading this morning). Seems to tick all the boxes, and as a bonus it's very inexpensive.
@troux, you are probably right. I now remember recommending the Intellijel a few times based on features/price/size. I had kind of forgotten what a bargain it is.
Thanks again!

I'm still at the "I wonder what happens if I plug that in there?" stage...

-- ModLifeCrisis

That's a great place to be! :)
Have fun and mult away! I bought a bunch of those little star shaped external mults for just this reason. I can't remember who makes them but you can find them for around $6 in the U.S.

Doesn't the center row of the Make Noise case function as a mult (or even multiple mults)? If so, I would probably eliminate any further mults from a case this size. Just my two cents.

Well, I've found myself in need of more VCAs (insert "you can never have too many..." joke here). I was thinking about investing in something that is a little more pricy than the usual suspects, specifically the L-1 Discrete Blacksea Quad VCA/Mixer (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/l-1-discrete-blacksea-quad-vca-mixer), but aside from a few extra features like the lin/exp switches, is it diminishing returns to spend twice as much as something like the perfectly servicable Happy Nerding 3xVCA, Intellijel, Veils, etc.?
I love the Happy Nerding stuff I already have, so I'm sure the 3xVCA would be decent. Is it just an indulgence to invest in the L-1 or something "high end" in that vein? I'm not an audiophile, in fact I usually focus on lo-fi styles, but I'm already pretty covered on that front. I need something on the cleaner side.
Just fishing for opinions, really. What do you all think? Anyone have experience with L-1, or another VCA module that you swear by?
Thanks in advance!

I think that was recently added. You may be able to edit some of them and add the tag if you are bored.

One thought to keep your GAS in check is the fact that if you buy a less expensive module as a means to approximate what you really want, it will cost you more in the long run. I go through this occasionally. I buy something fairly inexpensive because it gets me somewhat close to the sound I'm looking for, and six months later I am selling it at a loss because of the sound or ergonomics/user interface, etc. Save up money to buy what you really want. And go slow so that you actually know what you really want and need to realize your goals.
For what it's worth, I have the AJH MiniMod Ladder Filter and a bunch of other AJH modules. If you want the Moog sound and experience, I can't think of anything outside of Moog themselves that would even get close to AJH in the eurorack format. They're truly stunning and a joy to play. I will keep my AJH stuff until I'm deep in the cold, cold ground.
Have fun and good luck!

The way you have arranged your modules seems well designed, in my opinion...
-- Sweelinck

I agree. Personally, I would probably put the DPO in the top left to avoid bumping the frequency knobs, but if that's not a problem for you, don't bother.

Sounds great! Thanks for sharing.

If the thread title is accurate, I would recommend that you do not go into debt for this setup.
Jim's advice mirrors my own. You will be incredibly unhappy with all of those tiny modules side by side, for many reasons.
I would recommend that you revisit a LOT of the beginner posts in this forum, read a LOT of manuals, and watch a LOT of tutorials before investing any money in this.
Have fun and good luck!