Look into the Moffenzeef Mito for on the fly clock division and rhythm adjustment. It’s a fun module.

I want to do all of the sequencing inside the rack. Are you suggesting a Varigate 4+ in addition or replacement to the Marbles? Just checking that module out now.

-- WeAreTheProject

I would think a Varigate 4+ for more predictable sequencing and Marbles for random duties, so both together would probably be a fun combo.

Hmmm... Maths is a very flexible module. It really can do a lot (check out Loopop's YouTube videos), and would probably cover many of the functions of the Quadrax and Blinds. I've got both Quadrax and Maths in a larger case and I'm finding new uses all the time. You may find a Maths/Batumi combo valuable in this case instead of Quadrax/Blinds, but everyone works differently. Maths was not immediately intuitive for me, but I'm really appreciating it now.
I question the value of the Data in a small case. It's a lot of hp, but again you know your workflow and needs better than I do. The factory build of Clouds is discontinued and you will probably pay a premium for an original build. You may want to take a look at some of the smaller clones like the Monsoon if you want to save some money and space.
Finally, will you be relying on Marbles for all of your sequencing, or do you have an external sequencer? I would take a look at something like a Varigate 4+ if you want to do some more sequencing in the case. Adding some mults and switches might be something to look into as well.
I'm sure some of the other folks here will have other valuable advice for you. Good luck and have fun!

This is a cool setup, for sure. Just a few things I was thinking about as I looked at it: Are the two filters necessary, or would you find any value in replacing one of the filters with a wavefolder like the uFold II? You can patch into your MiniBrute filter if I remember correctly. Also, the Happy Nerding 3xMIA is a 6hp 6 channel mixer/attenuverter/offset/etc. that you may find useful. Finally, I've got a Phonogene (earlier version of the Morphagene) and it's kind of fun for sample manipulation, but if I had it to do over I would have just picked up a decent delay like the Mimeophon instead. Would save quite a bit of hp in a small case.
Just my thoughts, but you know what might work best for your sound and style. Good luck and have fun!

What kind of music/sound are you going for?

While there is wisdom in a lot of this, it's wisdom that is not unique to modular synthesis. There are more acoustic guitars collecting dust in closets than synths. Years ago, I worked in the MI business for a decade, and people constantly bought the wrong tool for what they were trying to achieve, so I get the point of this message. Here's the thing though, if you want to sound like Sonic Youth, Darkthrone, or My Bloody Valentine, you probably don't want to buy an acoustic guitar to learn on. Bang around on an electric, waste a lot of money on pedals and amps, and figure it out. You're not going to achieve that sound and workflow with a Martin D28. Similarly, if you want to make music like the YouTube generative coffee-mug-and-window-overlooking-a-peaceful-garden crowd, an MS20 isn't going to do that. Is that really the right instrument to start with, then? Man, I don't know.
People make amazing music by using instruments in the "wrong" way all the time. Just because you don't know what Boolean logic, half wave rectification, Euclidean rhythms, or even a VCA are right now, doesn't mean you shouldn't start the modular journey (you're going to have to learn about VCAs reeeeeeeaaaaaaaallllll quick, though). There is really no "right" way to use an instrument unless you are some purist gatekeeper. I worked around purists for years and they always sucked the joy right out of making music. They would scoff if you didn't pledge allegiance to some bulls**t Tubescreamer circuit from 1982 or didn't take the same musical journey they did. Ugh...
What is a way of life for some is just a hobby for others, and that's ok. I say the more, the merrier. There are enough good YouTube tutorials out there nowadays for people to make an informed decision about the kind of instrument they want to try out and learn (and maybe fail). I'd rather empower people to give synthesis a try than suggest they are only attracted to the pretty lights and graphics. Sure, aesthetics make a difference for some (there are glittery finish guitars and drums for a reason), but aspiring musicians deserve more credit than just being bandwagon-hopping squirrels. Most people are savvy enough to understand that you don't become Eddie Van Halen, Aphex Twin, Neil Peart, or Brian Eno overnight just because you bought an instrument.
Yes, in the modular world mistakes are very expensive. Also, mistakes lead to new avenues of thought and creativity. Synthesis can be frustrating, but so can learning and becoming proficient in violin, drums, melodica, djembe, or 8-string guitar. There are growing pains with every instrument and technology.
Maybe you don't NEED a modular synth. Maybe you just WANT a modular synth. That's fine. I hope you dedicate some time to it, have fun, and make some cool music with it.

If I was trying to do what you want to do, I would probably approach this rack with a lot more modulation sources and VCAs. If you already have a lot of guitar pedals/external effects, you could save money by picking up a decent external interface module like the Bastl Hendrikson or XAOC Sewastopol II, and using your pedals instead of modular effects (but that's not quite as fun). Obviously, we all approach things differently, and you will probably get a bunch of different recommendations than what I quickly came up with based on your example racks and description. As for me... If money was no object and I was going for a chord capable IDM-ish type rack with some random sequencing, glitchiness, sample manipulation, effects, and a bit of analog monosynth flavor, I would probably go in a direction like this. I'm sure I left out something glaringly obvious, but you know what you like and want better than I do.
ModularGrid Rack

I second all of the module recommendations that Exper suggested above (Atlantis, Rings, Clouds, Mimeophon). Rings even has a hidden setting that has a polyphonic(!) Roland RS09 string/organ chord mode. edit Plaits can also do some pretty chords. I love the BOC sound that you are describing, and if you are looking at modular as a supplement to other (polyphonic) gear, you can achieve some excellent and beautiful results (not just Merzbow-ish sounds, though you can do that too). The Lo-Fi Junky really does seem to be the BOC sound in a box, so you may want to consider that. Error Instruments also has a new module called the Vintagesizer, which is not yet on MG, that does sort of the same warbly thing. I picked up a secondhand Phonogene and a Radio Music for sample manipulation, and I get some trippy BOC-ish sounds that way. The only downside is that I had to invest in some other utility modules to really get the most out of it. Which brings me to my next point...
God forbid we all actually have fun doing this. Yes, modular is expensive. So what? No, modular will never be a substitute for other sound sources. So what? Most importantly it is a fun way to achieve results that you may have never stumbled across otherwise. Sure, I probably could have just picked up an Elektron Analog Keys to achieve a lot of the sounds I like, but I would have been miserable dealing with that interface. Now, I make music that I like all the time. I stopped making music for a long time because I just didn't enjoy using software so much. Now, I am so happy that Eurorack caught on with a wider audience. It really got my imagination running and fostered my creative spirit again.
If you think you would enjoy the interface and experience of modular, GO FOR IT. You can build an instrument that is unique to you. It doesn't have to be some spartan, utilitarian tool if that's not what you want. It can be an instrument that constantly begs you to play and experiment. Just be prepared to do a lot of research if you don't want to waste time and money.

Not exactly the same thing, but they cover similar territory with random voltages. Marbles looks to be more fully featured and controllable than Wogglebug.

Hi Asmodis. I'm not too familiar with the Cells module, but if I remember correctly it's a sequencer that comes with the Nifty Case, right? I don't know if you have any other external gear for sequencing, but you may want to look into something that gives you a little more precise control over pitch/triggers/gates/etc. I know random works pretty well in generative ambient and drone stuff, but at some point you will probably want to impose some order and structure.
And, as far as random goes, the Wogglebug and Marbles do some similar things. Do you need both, or could that space be better utilized with something else (maybe a filter)? Just a few things to consider.
Have fun and good luck!

I’ve had a similar experience with the Loquelic Iteritas Percido... Difficult to dial in sounds that really gel with the rest of a patch. It’s pretty wild in what it does though, and it is keeping me creative.
I’m going to take a look into Temps Utile. I’m not familiar with it. Thanks for the heads up.

Welcome. It looks like you are off to a good start, and VCAs will always be useful. Will you be doing all of your gate and CV sequencing from your DAW or Rene? If not, you may want to look into something like Malekko's Voltage Block for CV or ALM's Pamela's New Workout. I was hesitant to get PNW because I don't enjoy menu diving very much, but the menu system is really shallow and easy to navigate. It was a really valuable addition to my beginner system. Check out DivKid's YouTube video to see everything it can do. You may also find a small multi-effect unit valuable for reverbs/delays/etc. I see a lot of folks recommending the Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4 as an important multi-use effect and modulation source for small systems, but the menu diving on that has kept me away for now.
I'm pretty impressed with the Noise Engineering oscillators for industrial stuff. A lot of people really like their Basimilus Iteritas Alter and Manis Iteritas for industrial drums. The Loquelic Iteritas and Cursus Iteritas are really cool too.
I'm new to this too, so I'm still wrapping my head around good utility modules. Maybe the other folks here can comment on that. Like you, I was initially fascinated by the Mutable and Make Noise approach but I'm learning a ton every day. What I do know is that modulating your modulation sources is pretty fun, so something like a XAOC Devices Batumi may come in handy alongside your Stages (though PNW can handle a lot of LFO duties if you want).
Have fun and good luck.

Also, I think that Erica Synths Bass Drum module may be overkill for your current purposes. To me, it's pretty big and has a small range of utility. If you pick up that Pique, it already has an 808 kick drum simulation in one of the modes and FM drums in another mode if you have the DMC firmware installed.

You will be able to make some harsh noise with the Shard and Basimilus Iteritas Alter. The Malekko Varigate 4+ could be a consideration for you instead of the Mimetic Digitalis for a pitch and gate sequencer. Maybe look into that?
I haven't tried to feed a line input (for samples/external gear) into my Shard yet, but it destroys every other source I have put through it. A distortion would probably be a good addition, or a small guitar pedal i/o if you have some gnarly distortion/reverb/delay pedals that you want to incorporate.
I'm thinking in terms of Merzbow, MSBR, Vomir and that kind of stuff if that's the direction you are hoping to go.

Hi cristoo. I went through the same deliberation about four months ago and have just ordered my second TipTop Mantis. I'm extremely happy with the first one. Plenty of power, decent build quality, the Mantis has 208hp vs the Rackbrute's 171hp (with power supply installed). The bottom row of the Mantis is something like 60mm deep, so you probably won't run into too many modules that won't fit. Some of the Doepfer modules are especially deep, so you should probably compare case depth too. If I remember correctly, they both have threaded rails, so you won't have to deal with sliding nuts.
I think the Rackbrute is meant to be a compliment to the Arturia Minibrute, so if you have one of those as an external synth, it may make sense to get the Rackbrute from an aesthetic perspective. Also, will you be transporting your case to gigs? The Mantis is light, but I don't think I would take it outside of my home without a Decksaver cover and a case/padded bag. Aside from these concerns, the Mantis wins in my book.
The only downside I can think of is that I was not initially fond of the vertical configuration for my Mantis. It didn't feel as stable as I hoped, so I have been using it in the 45-degree and horizontal configurations until my second one and dual mounting brackets arrive.
Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!

Maths is very valuable for all kinds of different modulation. I've got one and have barely scratched the surface. I would recommend downloading the manual/patchbook and looking through it to decide if it is what you need. There's also a great video on YouTube by Loopop called "22 Reasons the #1 Eurorack Module is Maths." With that being said, it is a large module (20hp) which would take up most of the space in your case. As a beginner, I've also found it a little unintuitive and not immediately gratifying in my experience. You have to put in a little work into understanding what it is doing to get creative and get the most out of it. If you decide to expand to a large case, Maths would ultimately be very useful for you due to its functionality.
I just picked up a Pique from After Later Audio. It ships with the "Dead Man's Catch" firmware installed which adds a bunch of different modes to the original firmware. All sorts of different LFO, envelopes, drum sounds, and even a mini Turing Machine and sequencer. Again, take a look through the "Dead Man's Catch" manual (https://github.com/timchurches/Mutated-Mutables/releases/tag/DMC-v0.7-beta) to decide if it's right for you. In a small case, I would probably find a use for Pique and a small mult in every patch. It doesn't have a bunch of patch points to "modulate your modulation," but it does a lot right out of the box and could probably help you decide what you may want to invest in next.
Hope this helps!

I second all of the advice given above. I'm pretty new to this too, but the guidance to plan for another/bigger case and add some utilities and modulation sources has been invaluable to my experience. I've got the X1L3 Shard and a Schlappi Engineering Interstellar Radio, and the possibilities become so much greater with a system expanded with basic plumbing and modulation. For a case this small, you might find some use for a Pique (micro Mutable Instruments Peaks clone), which offers two LFOs, envelope generators, drum sounds, randomness, etc. in 4hp.
Have fun and good luck!

These are all great points, and exactly the kind of questions I was hoping for. Much appreciated.
As far as ease of use, I enjoy both sides. I love WYSIWYG old analog monosynths, but I also enjoy reading manuals and fumbling around to discover capabilities. I may even try my hand at some simpler DIY modules. Like you though, I probably lean to the side of preferring one knob per function.
I'm definitely going to go back to the drawing board on the LFOs and ADSRs. You are absolutely right. I will check out your suggestions. I'll also start checking out multiple outs.
Thanks so much for your time. This is a dream project in the works, and I'm sure much of it will change as I start to build it and wrap my head around the pros and cons. I'll keep an eye on the forums and check in again in a few months when stage one is complete. Have a great day.

ModularGrid Rack

Hello new community! I'm returning to music creation and synthesis after many, many years away. I'm excited to see the growth in the modular world. I'm not new to hardware synthesizers, but I am new to Eurorack, so I would like to welcome any guidance you may offer.
I enjoy the music of Kraftwerk, Brian Eno, Cabaret Voltaire, Underworld, Aphex Twin, Throbbing Gristle, Depeche Mode, Tangerine Dream, Autechre, and everything in between, so I'm looking for a wide palette of sounds. I'm planning to build this 6U-9U rack in stages over the course of a year or two. I sold all of my old synths years ago, but recently picked up a Moog DFAM, Arturia Keystep, Behringer Crave (Mother-32 clone), and I'm adding a Beatstep Pro. It might be fun to play live gigs eventually, but I'm more interested in creating for myself and a few close friends. I don't really enjoy making music via software.
I'm sure I am missing some important utility modules here, or maybe I have picked out some redundant modules? Please offer your wisdom.
Thanks so much. I look forward to participating here in the future as I gain some knowledge to pay forward.

Sorry for the post/delete. My planned rack image has not updated yet, so I will repost when the link is current.
Thanks.