Ha! Yeah, I'm not sure I'm up for the real thing.
I checked out the Subharmonicon more in depth yesterday. That is definitely on my watchlist now. It gives me some deep early Depeche Mode vibes on its own. Would be awesome integrated more deeply with modular.

Thanks Lugia. You know, even though it's an intriguing synth, I haven't looked into the Subharmonicon much yet. I checked out a few minutes of an early video, but I was distracted and never came back to it. I'll give it another look. Right now, the only other piece of external gear I have besides the DFAM is the SOMA Labs Lyra-8. I figured that was the closest I could ever get to Fripp's guitar sound on No Pussyfooting. :)
I appreciate the ideas and insight I have gained from you and some of the others here.

Thanks Garfield. I'm sure I will still lurk around the forum and chime in. This is a fun place to hang out. :) I just don't have the need to spend as much time on here researching modules and planning out my rack now. I have a few ideas about switching out Maths and Clouds eventually, but nothing immediate. I'm going to spend some time figuring out Maths' secrets before I make a decision.
I look forward to hearing some more of your music. Take care.

ModularGrid Rack

Well, I’m almost finished building this beast. I started getting pretty serious about putting a dream instrument together at the end of last year, and I should have the last two pieces of the puzzle (the Panharmonium and TG4) in the next few weeks. This website has been so valuable for me in realizing this project. It has been nice gaining insight from all of you and even sharing some along the way. I thought I might share a few things I have discovered for the folks interested in dipping their toes into the Eurorack world (or for those diving in headfirst).
I think I have mentioned before that I have a fairly long history with synths, recording, music etc., so I wasn’t exactly starting from scratch. I sold off all my old equipment years ago, though, and this format was completely new to me. The potential of Eurorack rejuvenated my interest in making some music again. I went from having zero musical equipment in my home to having what I think is a pretty killer synth in a little less than a year. So what did I learn along the way?
First, this thing probably ain’t gonna pay for itself, so be careful with the credit card. I put a few things on the card, but mostly paid cash. I’m not a wealthy man, so I had to make sacrifices and take some opportunities for extra work. Many hobbies are expensive, and this completely overshadows my record collecting habit for its zero-bank-balance-inducing potential. Buy used, DIY, whatever… Just don’t go into debt for this.
That leads me into the second thing I learned. Slow down a little. Buy one thing (or a select few) at a time. This way you can spend some time learning the potential of each module, and decide if it really fits in with your workflow and the kind of music you want to create. I wish I had kept the first rack I built on Modular Grid because it was COMPLETELY different from what I actually built. You will know what you need next after you start incorporating a few things into your rack.
Third: Do your research. From MG to MuffWiggler to DivKid and beyond, there are a million resources to help you figure it all out. Outside of work and actually playing around with my synth-in-progress, I spent most of my free moments researching this big investment. I know you probably want to ask a million questions, but they have already been answered. Take ownership of this journey and put in some work to understand what you are getting into.
Fourth: Don’t be afraid. Don’t be afraid to jump into the modular world. Don’t be afraid to take a chance on an interesting module. It might just change your whole concept, or it might be a dud. So what if it doesn’t end up working for you. Don’t force it. Just sell it and move on. You might take a little financial hit, but chalk it up to the learning process. I’ve bought some crap records in the past. I sold them and bought something I liked instead. Same thing applies here. Don’t dwell on it. If you have actually done a bunch of research and moved slowly, the duds will be fewer and farther between. Also, don’t be afraid to put your music, demos, videos, and experiments out there. If you are going to make some noise, share it with the world. Most people will probably hate it, and that’s ok. Back in the early 70s, the lead singer of the New York Dolls (David Johansen) told Joey Ramone that the Ramones sucked and they should give up. Ignore the haters and just do what you do. You probably aren’t going to be the next Brian Eno, Aphex Twin, or even Merzbow, but don’t let that stop you from enjoying and sharing your creative energy.
Fifth: Don’t believe the hype. Just because a module is popular amongst modular enthusiasts or a “must have” doesn’t mean it’s right for you. A few of my earliest purchases were “must have” modules, and they are among my least favorite (I’m looking at you Maths and Clouds). You can build a generative-ambient-houseplant-and-cup-of-herbal-tea-overlooking-a-beautiful-peaceful-garden rack without Rings and Clouds, I promise (though Rings is pretty sweet). I’m holding on to Maths and Clouds for now, but I’ve found that there are better modules or combinations of modules for what I want to do. You may love both of these, but I bet you will find a few modules that will make you wonder what all of the fuss is about.
Finally, build something that is fun for you. Build something that makes you want to experiment or record all the time. If the module looks like a pain in the a**, it probably is. You don’t have to get into some weird Nietzsche suffer-for-your-art thing. If you get a headache from menu-diving and multiple button combinations, don’t buy those kind of modules. Above all else, have fun.
I’m probably going to be a bit less active on Modular Grid for a while because I actually have the instrument I want now. I don’t have as much research to do and I have a few projects I want to dedicate some time to, to take beyond the lo-fi screwing-around-and-seeing-what-comes-out demo stage. I just wanted to offer some food for thought to the new folks who are standing in the shoes I was in not too long ago. Thank you to all of you who have helped me along without realizing it (Lugia, Garfield, Ronin, and others). This website has been such an invaluable resource for considering different approaches and viewpoints.

P.S. Almost forgot… Buy a bigger case than you think you need. More utilities, modulation sources, and VCAs will make your rack a lot more fun, and modulate the modulators.

I finally broke down a picked up a Disting Mk4 after initially writing it off as too menu-divey. It's a very valuable tool, but not much fun to use. I would definitely recommend it for your remaining 4hp due to the huge amount of utility it offers. Just know that you will be referring to the manual... a lot.

This one looks much better for a small build.
Have fun and good luck!

I echo everything Shakespeare said, and would add to be mindful of the depth of a palette case. With connectors and cables, you are going to be cutting it really close with the Disting and 2hp modules.

Sounds awesome. Something about this track gives me a feeling of nostalgia for the 90s. I'm not sure what it is, but it's a great feeling. :)
Thanks for sharing.

I've never heard Playboi Carti, but I'm digging this. I always enjoy the pad sounds you choose.
Thanks for sharing.

I decided on the Winter Modular Eloquencer. It looks like the best sequencer option for the way I like to work.
I'm sure I will share something soon. I hope you decide to share more of your music as well!

Thanks for your time, Garfield. I really appreciate your willingness to check out my strange art projects.
I love all of that early post-punk and goth (Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance, the Cure, Bauhaus), and I love more obvious synth music like Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk, techno, Aphex Twin, etc. I just like to see what genres my rack and I are capable of with some limitations. My new sequencer should arrive Monday, so I will probably start working on some more complex music soon.
As far as the videos go, I have a whole theme or philosophy behind the muddy distorted aesthetics. Maybe when I am done with this project I will clean my tape heads and put together something more clean and modern. :)
Thanks again, and have a great weekend!

This is my attempt at a late 70s/early 80s post-punk kind of thing. All of the music was recorded live on my modular in a single take with no overdubs, and the video is a glitchy lo-fi mashup of some Cure videos. If you like Seventeen Seconds and Unknown Pleasures, this is my amateur attempt at a similar vibe.
Furthrrr Generator, Plaits, E352, Blck_Noir, DrumF*ck, Gristleizer filter, and Milky Way

As always, thanks for allowing me to fill your time.

I almost bought the AJH Gemini 2412 a few months ago, but ended up just getting their ladder filter for now. The Gemini is a killer filter and I may still get one at some point.

Awesome. Just started listening. I dig some ambient drones.
Glad you are making the most of your new instrument!

Awesome. I like how every sound has room to breathe. That's something I am trying to work on in my music, but I have a tendency to always add more and more until all of the space is gone. You have given each instrument plenty of space.
I need to invest in some of the ACL modules. I'm always impressed with them.
Thanks for sharing!

You will enjoy the Serge stuff a lot more than Rings, for sure. :)

Thank you troux. That was Rings in the Roland RS09 string synth Easter Egg mode. I use that mode more than the standard Rings sound.

Thanks as always for checking it out!
Just about anything I share here is just a single live take with only my modular setup. I rarely do any overdubs and usually just use GarageBand as a tape recorder with very little post-processing. I'm not averse to doing things more professionally, but I'm just having fun with this limited lo-fi approach right now as a way to challenge myself and learn.
It seems Ochd is turning out to be one of those "must-have" modules. In some way or another, it has made its way into every patch I've done since I got it. Best $190 I've spent in a long time.

Hi Garfield. Yes, all modular. The glitchy vocals were actually from the speech algorithm on Plaits with modulation from Ochd. No samples on this one.
Have a great weekend.

Here is the newest installment of my ongoing glitchy lo-fi modular synth and dual VHS project. This one turned out kind of trippy (flashing light warning).

Thank you for taking an interest. I've only recently returned to making music and so the stuff I have put on Bandcamp is just rough sketches at this point. I'm mostly just recording lo-fi live jams and experimenting with different styles at this point, but I am planning to work on some more structured and polished songs soon.
This ADX-1 sounds great. Thanks for the heads up!

Thread: New Thing

Thanks for checking it out Garfield and Sweelinck. Vorwerk Chicken is definitely a cousin of my track!
This one was made using the Moffenzeef Mito to sequence a Buck Modular DrumF*ck and the Loquelic Iteritas Percido (which is too quiet here). I was just messing around and it sounded cool, so I recorded part of it.
I just finished a new video that I may share later.
Thanks again and take care!

Thread: New Thing

Some abrasive improvised modular drums with an accompanying analog glitch video I put together today. Should have mixed the bass a little higher, but whatever... It was recorded on the fly.

You just won’t be able to control different parameters of your pedals via CV (which is the fun of modular). You may find that bothersome, or you may not. Once you get started, you will know what you need next. That’s why it’s a good idea to start a little slow so you don’t waste time and money on modules you don’t really need.

I like Eno’s albums with Robert Fripp a lot, so I would probably want some kind of modular delay unit like the Mimeophon, Magneto, or something similar to add some crazy texture. My next purchase is going to be the Winter Modular Eloquencer sequencer. It might be worthwhile to look at that before you buy Hermod. They’re both powerful, just different.
Have fun!

Hi Caroline. You will want something for triggers/gates to compliment the Voltage Block. You might want to consider replacing one of the Voltage Blocks with a Pamela’s New Workout and/or a Varigate. It would probably be a good idea to replace the mixer with a quad VCA too.
What kind of music are you making?
Have fun and good luck!

The Endorphin.es Milky Way is 6hp and 30mm. You may want to check that one out.

I would think that you might want something like a Triple Sloths or Zadar for unusual or evolving modulation. I just got the Ochd, and it is outstanding with eight "organic" LFOs in 4hp.
Yes, I think a different oscillator would be wise. The oscillators you picked out are ok for basic wave shapes, but you probably won't get great pads with these. Plaits is popular in these small racks for a reason due to its broad range of synthesis types. There is even a 6hp micro Plaits that would provide you with more options than the oscillators you have chosen. Maybe even the Cursus Iteritas for a wavetable-ish oscillator that can do evolving sounds with some modulation. For the "pluck" sounds, you might want a low pass gate in addition to VCAs and envelopes.
I'm not familiar with the 1u modules you have chosen. Will one of them provide triggers for envelopes or gates to keep everything in time like a Pamela's New Workout or other master clock/clock divider? How will you sequence or play everything? Do you have something like a Beatstep Pro, or will you need a sequencing module?
Ronin is right in that a Deepmind or something like that will get you closer to what you want for far less money, unless you have plans to expand beyond this palette case considerably. Unfortunately, that's kind of the state of modular synthesizers.
Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

What about something like this?
ModularGrid Rack

I have most of the modules suggested here, and I think you could get a lot out of them. Some of the other folks here will likely have other recommendations.
As this is a small rack, I tried to pack a lot of functionality and utilities into your rack so you won't get bored quickly. Maths is great, but you can pack a lot more into that 20hp. Disting can serve as just about anything, so it's almost a must-have in a rack this size. For Eno-esque evolving textures, you will want a lot of modulation sources so I have included Sloths for slow random movement, Quadrax for envelopes and LFOs, and Pique for a little bit of everything (envelopes, LFOs, drum sounds, mini-sequencing options, etc.). The 3xMIA attenuates CV signals, and you will also want VCAs to control volume over time.
Let us know how it goes.
Have fun!

I've looked at this rack a few times, but I have some questions first so I might be able to offer some advice: When you say "a lot of chordal voices," are you referring to the chord mode within Plaits? Are you planning to add other oscillators, envelopes, and VCAs so that you can sequence those as chords?
How far are you looking to go with this? If you are planning to sequence with the 0-Control, Hermod might be a bit overkill with a rack this small, but it's pretty common to expand beyond a first small rack so it might make sense in the long run. I'm just not sure what you are envisioning long term.
If you are ok with using external gear, why eat up all of your rack space with the Subharmonicon?
How much prior experience do you have with synths?
Let me know what your thinking is on these, and I'll help if I can.
Have fun and good luck!

It's going to be tough to get what you are describing ("a lot of modulation, bass, leads, plucks, pads") from this setup. What you have built is not too much different than a Behringer Crave, which can be found for about $200-$250. I would recommend picking up a semi-modular (Crave, Mother 32, 0-Coast) for these duties and using the palette case to supplement that with more interesting modules like Plaits, or maybe even an E352? An Intellijel Quadrax or DivKid Ochd will give you a fair amount of modulation. Happy Nerding makes a lot of nice inexpensive 6hp modules like a 3xVCA and many more. I would recommend doing a bit more research before you pull the trigger on this rack so you get the results you describe under your price point.
Something to consider.
Have fun and good luck!

I love the tone of the Furthrrr Generator. I use it all the time and would buy it again in a heartbeat. For whatever reason, though, I struggle with the E352. I bought it mostly for drones and textures, but it sounds so much different than everything else in my rack that I have a hard time fitting it in to what I do. I'm not an analog purist by any means, but that thing has a very clean/digital sound. It's so dynamic and every setting seems to fill the entire audio spectrum, so I've found it hard to layer things over top of it. I likely need to EQ it better. I use the FM and morph settings a lot more than the cloud settings. I'm not sure that I would buy it again, but I'm not in any hurry to get rid of it. I think I just need to spend more time with it. It's pretty deep.
Have fun with your new rack!

It's hard to argue against Mutable Instruments' Ripples for a good all-around filter. The Joranalogue Filter 8 looks really nice too.

Thanks for listening, Garfield. The reggae vibe just started flowing, so I went with it.
Because the lighting around my synth is pretty poor, I usually put effects on any videos I upload to Instagram. You should be able to see my current rack if you click on my Modular Grid profile (though I haven't bought the Eloquencer yet).
Take care!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBMIx4tBpZ6/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Here's a dub reggae type thing I put together using the DivKid Ochd that arrived today. I liken this module to the lightning that brought Frankenstein's monster to life. Probably the best 4hp module you could buy outside of a Disting.
Thanks for checking it out.

Thread: DivKid Ochd

That's a great analogy, Sweelinck. My music is more hippie than scientist, so Ochd should fit right in.

Telharmonic immediately comes to mind, or maybe a complex oscillator through a nice low pass gate. You get a taste of Rings within Plaits, so while Rings is sort of known for beautiful plinks and plonks, I don't think I would have both in an 84hp case.
I'm interested to hear what others have to say.
Have fun and good luck!

Those self enforced limitations have been a revelation for me in recent times. Leaving space and knowing what to remove is so important.
Also, I’m pretty sure I saw Damo Suzuki at an art opening in Leipzig, Germany a few years ago. I didn’t ask, but I could swear it was him.

Or maybe Quadrax instead of Batumi.

I'd say Pam's for sure. Then Batumi?

Many years ago I had a room full of synths and recording equipment: Moog, Arp Odyssey and Omni, DX7, Juno 106, Fender Rhodes, Reason, Ableton, Cubase, plug-ins, guitars, pedals, amps, condenser mics... and I made less music of lower quality than I make today with my entire "studio" that fits on a medium-sized desk.
I love creation, even if it's only for me, and I am now able to create every time I turn on my power switch. The sounds I hear in my head are finally within reach (for the most part). I would have never known this if I had second guessed myself and avoided the modular path.

Mine is shipping out today. If I find a way to put it to good use I will share.

Yeah, the Furthrrr Generator is amazing too. I don't enjoy making music on the computer so I have a fair mix of analog and digital stuff. Different strokes for different folks is the beauty of modular. Whatever you want to accomplish, there is something out there to help. Which again brings us back to the point of thinking in terms of what you, personally, want to accomplish overall, how you like to work, taking an educated guess, and diving in with the first piece(s) of your new system.
Let us know how it goes!

I've done a boatload of research for my personal preferences, and DivKid's and Mylar Melodies' videos on YouTube have been invaluable for helping me decide what would work best for my rack. The beauty of this whole thing becomes apparent when interactions happen. You might make a few mistakes on your way there, and your path might change. I've mentioned before that I only bought a few modules from my original plan due to my ongoing research. It's part of the fun, but can be very expensive for sure.
Check out this video for a module demo from DivKid that is incredible for droning ambient stuff:

The more videos you watch, the more you will be able to envision how different modules will interact to achieve the results you want.

Try to think in terms of a complete system. If Plaits isn’t the right answer for your highly personalized complete system, then it’s also wrong as a first module.

I like Pressure Points as an interactive way to add some humanity into my rack. Often, sequences sound a bit too rigid or robotic, so I like to do chord changes on the fly or trigger percussive sounds or add some modulation to something with my imperfect timing. It's not a substitute for a keyboard by any means, but I'm not much of a keyboard player anyway so PP is just a fun way to switch up a static patch. I've been patching two pitch sequences to an Acid Rain Technology Switchblade (switch) and using the gate outs of PP to switch between sequences while taking the CV outs to other modules.

A low pass gate is from the "West Coast" synthesis style, and serves as sort of a combination filter and VCA. You can open the LPG in Plaits all the way, so drones are possible, or you can set the LPG to a short response (like a simple Decay envelope) for more percussive sounds if you want to send a gate/trigger to the Trig input. When you do this, both the amplitude and tone are affected with brighter frequencies more apparent at higher amplitudes, sort of like a filter opening in tandem with a VCA opening.
Plaits is cool because it combines this pseudo-filter/VCA behavior within the voice module itself so you aren't strictly limited to drones. It's fairly versatile with many different synthesis types and sounds, though with this being modular, nothing is all that fun without other modules. You will need something external to manipulate pitch: Keystep/Beatstep/SQ1/etc., so ultimately a single module in isolation still requires something else to operate.
A better solution to learn synthesis would be one of the more versatile semi-modular offerings like the Moog Mother 32 or Behringer Crave. They offer a single oscillator, filter, VCA, LFO, and sequencer in one patchable package that can be integrated later with a modular setup. To get much out of modular, one single module alone in a rack defeats the whole purpose of specialized modules, and is not really going to help you learn (or be very fun).
Have fun and good luck!

Hmmm... Plaits, maybe? Has a wide variety of sounds suitable for drones and ambient with a built in LPG.

The elusive Ochd just became available at Control for anyone in the US who has been waiting. Not sure how fast they will sell out.