^^ This. It's sort of amazing how many rack help threads come down to variations on this advice. Just about every new system needs Links + Kinks + Shades + Veils (or equivalent choices from other manufacturers). It's not 100% universal, but it's pretty close.

Do you already have this selection of modules? Or are you planning to get them?

The biggest immediate need I see is for some modulation sources, and VCAs. I'd suggest something like Pamela's New Workout (8 linked clocks, LFOs, etc.) or Quadrax (4 modulation sources which can be anything from envelopes to LFOs, with lots of CV possibilities, along with something like an Intellijel dual VCA, or Veils, Tangle Quartet, or any other multi-VCA module. There are a million options out there, but these are crucial parts of any modular system.

Also, about the Palette groove box thing... sure, they sound amazing. Professional people make these videos, to do a very specific flashy musical thing, in order to get you to part with your cash. But if you had to use the system above for an extended period of time, you'd learn very quickly that it is extraordinarily limited. For short term experiments, those limitations are inspiring. For long-term use, though, they're painful.

You came here looking for advice... so I'm not sure why you're arguing against the suggestions you're receiving.

You're showing a video of a 62hp Palette case (which includes a quad attenuator module, even in its very limited space!), to explain why you don't need attenuators in a 6u 84hp case. That seems weird. But even if you take their example, for a similar attenuator to hp ratio, you would need 10-12 in your case. You have 6.

If space is really the issue, my suggestion would be to ditch Links and replace it with an attenuating mixer module. Plenty of 4hp options that will give you at least three channels of attenuation. Both of your NE modules are going to really want some attenuation on their CV inputs... those 6 VCAs will run out quickly (and if you're wasting your VCAs as attenuators, you won't have anything left as an actual VCA). You could easily use 4-5 just on BIA (I always keep a 4ms SISM module right next to my BIA for exactly this reason).

What Jim said :)

How are you planning to control this? Aside from the lack of sequencing, the only potential issue I see is the lack of attenuators... maybe replace the scope with another mix/attenuator module (there are a million out there... Shades, Triatt, and on and on). Also not sure you need two filters, in a system with only two oscillators (not counting the drums).

Definitely, if it's going to be your only system, DON'T get a Palette. Get a larger case (the Mantis is great... or Eowave has a new 7u case that is reasonable) and give yourself room to grow.

I love my Palette for when I want to focus on a handful of modules... but as a full system, it would get dull fairly quickly, no matter what modules you put in it. It's a nifty case, but it plays a very particular role.

I'd forego the Lofi Junky altogether and go with a Fairfield Circuitry Shallow Water (for my money it's pretty much the most musical effects pedal on the market). You can also combine delay and reverb in one pedal with the EQD Avalanche Run and save some room on your pedal board. For a small case, the suggestion of Pamela's New Workout is excellent. My $0.02, which is probably worth more like 1/2 a penny.
-- baltergeist

I came here to say exactly this re: Shallow Water and Pam's. Very solid advice.

If you are in the States, make sure you check out Juno Records (in the UK) before buying any XAOC. Their prices are great, and their shipping is cheap too.

Also: you're probably going to want the 3hp expander for Odessa. I use it every time I use the module. So I'd suggest adding that in from the start.

Looks sweet!

Since you're new to this, my suggestion would be to start with one row's worth of modules... cover the remaining blank space with blank panels (or make some out of thin wood or even cardboard). Take your time, get to know that row of modules, then after a few months add a couple more toys... it's easy to go too fast, especially with a large, empty case begging to be filled.

This will be fun, if you have tiny fingers. Otherwise, the micro-modules will get on your nerves at some point, particularly the Marbles clone (Marbles, unlike a lot of similar random-based sequencers, is really playable, and not at its best as a "set-and-forget" sequencer). Otherwise, the lack of VCAs is your only real issue.... you're going to want some. Maybe replace the input module with something like Ears, and use the free 4hp to add a VCA module (there are several dual VCA modules in 4hp available).

I think you're actually in pretty good shape for VCAs (six VCAs for a system of this size seems fine). What you may find, though, is that you need more sound sources... unless you count filters self-oscillating, you only have one oscillator here. You don't need to add a second source immediately, but it should probably be high on your list for next steps.

You're in good shape for most other things, I think, but one thing I always like to suggest is Sloths. It would go very well here.

Finally, how are you controlling/sequencing this? MIDI? If not, then you might want some sort of sequencer module.

Yup, this looks like loads of fun.

+1 to OCHD, if you aren't interested in Disting due to the menu diving.

Disting does fit, but it is very tight. Others seem to have used 2hp modules as well. But I'd shy away from having too many modules of that depth... it gets tricky to arrange power cables, when you only have a millimeter or two of space between the board and the back of the case.

A couple thoughts that I hope are helpful, from another Palette user..

1. 3 filters in a system of this size is probably too much. Pick one, or one plus the 2hp module. Remember that Plaits has a built-in LPG, too.

2. You have two dedicated ADSRs and two dedicated LFOs here, which is ok... but you might also find yourself happier with one solid multi-function module like Intellijel's Quadrax or XAOC's Zadar or Mutable's Stages. Especially given that 6hp for a non-VC ADSR is not the greatest use of space (the Pittsburgh module). Any of these options could potentially save you a couple hp, too.

3. Steppy seems like a mistake, given that you have a DrumBrute and KeyStep at your disposal. It is only a gate sequencer, not a CV sequencer, so it won't do you much good with this setup, really. I'd suggest replacing the Steppy with some other utilities: an attenuator/mixer (Intellijel's Duatt or Quadratt), and nonlinearcircuit's 1u Sloth module (great modulation source, and probably best bang for the buck in 1u modules). With the space you have leftover, you could still add a couple of other smaller 1u modules.

4. If you can make room, Pamela's New Workout is just a great workhorse for any small setup. 8 clocks, or LFOs, or envelopes, or Euclidean sequencers, or etc. etc. All with built-in attenuators, offsets, and more. If this were my setup, I'd cut both of your current LFO choices and replace them with PNW, unless you really need the VC.

Others will tell you (correctly) that this case is too small for a starter system... but you can always buy a bigger case later, and use the Palette for when you want to travel, so you can't lose. Enjoy!

I like both versions of this rack, and I think farkas's suggestions are good. One thing to consider, with the idea of getting a Disting and potentially some other stuff in here: Black Hole DSP 2 is awesome, but big. You say you're a guitar player... do you have pedals on hand? If so, you may find that something like a pedal interface module would be a better choice than a large module. No sense eating up rack space for effects you already have access to. The space and $$$ you save would leave you room for other things. (The Lo-Fi Junky might also fall into this category... if you have pedals that serve this purpose, no need to get the module.)

Thread: PRESO MALE

I'd suggest starting here:

• Any two of your sound sources
  • One filter
  • One granular module
  • Shades
  • Quadrax
  • Quad VCA
  • Output module (your Roland pick is fine, but you could go with something more simple as well)
  • Pamela's New Workout (8 clocks or LFOs... so handy!)
  • The Strymon pedal interface module

That's 10 modules... that's a ton to learn out of the gates, but still very powerful. Then after a few months, you'll start to understand what you really need to add next (if anything at all). But Luigi's point is important: do your homework on how synthesis functions first. If you're brand-new to synths, I'd strongly suggest picking up one of the various semi-modular monosynths as a starting point (O-Coast, Mother 32, Neutron, Crave, etc. etc.). Great way to get your feet wet, and get used to patching... and they'll still be relevant once you go for an actual modular system.

I didn't notice the 1u VCA, somehow... I thought it was the left half of the midi unit. But yes, that would take care of that need.

If you're going to be sequencing by midi, then the swap you're describing could be great... but of course, those are two very different modules. If you need sequencing, you need sequencing, not Woggling.

Thread: PRESO MALE

Your top two rows have all the fun toys, but there's way too much redundancy. Few systems really need three granular sampling modules, for instance... especially at this size. Or so many filters. (Etc. etc.)

Your bottom row looks pretty solid... good sequencing, VCAs, function generation, and a mixer. I'd toss the MI Shades in that row as well, since it's a crucial utility module. If you took that row, and added any four modules from your first two rows (two sound sources and two effect/granular/filter modules), you'll have enough to keep you busy and learning for a very, very long time.

The only big recommendation I have for something to add is Pamela's New Workout... it's right up there with Sloths as the best value in Eurorack, and it will fill in some modulation gaps for you as well. Depending on your feelings about using HP on things like mults (instead of stackable cables, for instance), you may also want to add one or two of those (I love Links for this, since it gives you several utilities in a small package).

I wonder if you really need both an LPG and a MMF in a system like this... gives you options of course, but I'd be tempted to pick one or the other. That said, the closest thing you have to a VCA is the Sinc Bucina... so I'd suggest cutting a filter and adding in a 4hp VCA of some sort, then using the last 2 hp for whatever cool thing you can think of that will fit (including the Meng Qi dual LPG, if you absolutely must have one).

Last thought: Nonlinearcircuits makes a 1u version of Sloth that would be a great fit in your 1u section, if you can stand losing the USB port. Excellent random/chaotic modulation for MG. Of course, you could also add Intellijel's 1u dual VCA in this slot. But Sloths is always worth the hp...

I see lots of new modular folks posting Palette case builds, and I totally get it... the case looks cool (and I have one, it absolutely is cool!), and it seems like starting out with just 62 hp of modules plus a 1u row is going to be manageable. But I actually think the Palette case is much better for people with some experience... they will know what they want to achieve, and what they can include or leave out. I myself have a Palette case, plus a Pittsburgh 360 hp case... I use the Palette for when I want to noodle around in a different location, or for when I want to really spend time with a particular module or two. As your only case, you'll quickly outgrow the Palette... and worse, you'll probably get frustrated with the limitations it will inevitably have.

That said, for the same money as the Palette case, you could get a TipTop Mantis... or if you can spend just a little more, Eowave now has a 7u, 104 hp case that uses the Intellijel 1u standard... you can order it from Juno Records in the UK for just a little over $400, and that's a great bargain (the build quality isn't as good as Intellijel's, but unless you're taking it out to gigs all the time, that won't matter).

^^ Was just about to suggest Sloths. Also, you can get a very small 1u version of Sloth that would be a tremendous addition here.

If Plum does provide a cable that connects the 1UOC to the midi jacks, that's great... wasn't aware of that.

For the headphones: no, the 1u headphone module does not use the Palette output jack. You just plug your patch cords from your sound source into the headphone modules two inputs, and voila, you're all set.

I would suggest thinking about Pamela's New Workout. It's slightly outside of your budget, but well worth it.

I think you're going to find yourself wanting a larger case, or smaller modules... you're going to want more modulation sources.

For the original question: it's a toss up. You get a little added flexibility from the Duatt, at the expense of some of the features of the other VCA. I would go the Duatt/VCA route myself.

Finally, another unsolicited thought. You don't have anything here that makes use of the Palette's I/O or midi... which basically means you're overpaying for a very small case. The portability of the Palette is great... but think about how much cooler this system would be if you just picked up a 104 hp skiff, replaced the 1u modules with 3u versions (18 hp), then still had 24 hp of space to play with?

Hi there-- I think you have some good choices here, but here are some suggestions:

1. Replace the 1u effects module with something like Erica Synths Pico DSP.
  2. Replace the current VCA with the Intellijel 1u dual VCA.
  3. Add in a 1u Sloths from Nonlinearcircuits. It's a fantastic modulation source, and it's tiny and cheap.
  4. Replace the MI attenuator/mixer with a 1u version. Transient Modules makes one that is 1u and Intellijel format.
  5. There are tons of ring modulators out there in 3 or 4 hp... so I'd replace the Pittsburgh module with a smaller version.
  6. If you make those swaps, you should still have somewhere between 4-7 hp left to play with. Use that space to add a Disting. It just barely fits into the Palette case, and it basically does whatever you need it to do.... extra VCO, ring modulator, filter, reverb, LFO, etc. etc.

Thread: Start 2

Also, since I see you have a Takaab module on there... if you want to save some $$$, and add a solid filter module, you could substitute their dual low pass gate module for Ripples... you'll save about $100, and it will give you a completely different kind of filter from what you already will have in the Brute.

Thread: Start 2

I don't think you want both the Marbles and the Turing Machine... Marbles is basically a super TM, so having both would be fun but redundant in a system of this size. Also not sure you need a clock divider here (though again: always fun) since Marbles can divide down from an external clock if need be.

Marbles, Plaits, Ripples, Veils, and Disting could easily function as a fun system all on their own, so I think those five would be a great place to start. I'd leave Ripples for the last purchase of these five, since many of the Plaits algorithms have filtering built in.

Not sure where you are from, but before you buy, check out Juno Records in the UK (even if you are not from the UK... their Mutable Instruments prices are ridiculously low).

Nice! Are you in Poughkeepsie?

This is slightly more functional. But you need more, more, more modulation sources. One Maths isn't going to get you far, especially not with modules that are hungry for modulation like... well, most of what you have here.

If you look at things like the Lightbath videos, something is sequencing the voices... in his Loom series, for example, it's Mutable's "Marbles" module.

If you are only processing external audio, I'd suggest replacing Plaits with something like Batumi or Pam's New Workout (and you'd have a little room left for another modulation source in 2-4 hp). That way, you could bring a signal in through Ears, process it with Rings and Rainmaker, and use Batumi/Pam's/extra little module to modulate various parameters.

If, on the other hand, you expect this system to generate all of your sound, you're going to be disappointed. As Lugia said, you need modulation sources... this system has none (in those same Lightbath videos, he uses Mutable's "Stages" module for this role... and in his other videos, he uses many other things).

One other thing I'd suggest... go for 104 HP instead of 84. The size difference is small, and the cost difference will be negligible, but it will give you more flexibility.

I was just about to suggest Marbles for you... the thing is amazing. Also: can be had on a great discount at Juno Records in the UK (with cheap shipping if you're in the US).

I'd suggest unplugging the MIDI for a while, and purposefully making yourself not do what you've been doing... it could even be a good idea, for a short while, to re-mount your modules in the case in a random order, to intentionally bust up the more typical signal path.

Another suggestion, if you haven't seen them already, is the various "three module challenge" videos on YouTube. There's some great, and truly surprising stuff in there. Here's one I recreated today (without even the DLD, which I don't have... with your set-up, you could have a blast with this as a starting point): You have a different filter, but it should work just fine for the purposes of the exercise.

That is a wild looking module... definitely something to consider.

I'll have to check on the SISM (the Quad VCA was already on my short list). Thanks!

My first foray back into modulars, after selling off a 15U Doepfer system about 12 years ago. Things have changed wildly since then!

Anyway, curious about what might be good additions to my current system. The only module here that I don't already own is the Varigate 4+, which I'm definitely planning on adding. Also fairly certain I'm adding a Basimilus Iteritas Alter. And I'd like to get some reverb/delay/DSP in here.

Anyway, what's missing? I feel like I'm light on things like mixers and utilities, but the options out there now are just so staggering compared to "back in the day."

I should say that I pretty much just noodle around for my own amusement, in the ambient/experimental range... this is my only instrument currently, and is likely to stay that way, at least for a good couple of years. Thanks for your thoughts.

ModularGrid Rack