:), nice and calm!

Lovely
-- jingo

Thanks.

Ukugene ;-)
-- wishbonebrewery

Ha ha! Congratulations. You win the prize for best pun of the week. :)

Very nice ModLifeCrisis, thanks for sharing.
How long did it take you, all in all?
-- wiggler55550

Hi, do you mean to make the video? Too long! I'm amazed by how long filming takes me. I'm using the most basic of basic equipment - an iPhone taped to a mic stand. The hardest thing is to get the framing right. It's a lot easier playing the ukulele. But in answer to your question - probably half a day, maybe a little more. Sometimes I wonder why I'm doing it, but at the moment it is giving my brain something to munge on so I'll carry on. :)

I've just realised I may have been posting my videos in the wrong section - Patches, which seems to be for pictures of how to patch up the modular and comments about it. I'm sorry about this. I've posted my latest video here instead. Seems to be a better place for it.

Hi, I've been thinking recently that I need more CV control. One contender is the Planar 2 from Intellijel. I'm also interested in the Make Noise 0-Ctrl. Both of these would add a fair bit of movement to my patches I think. However, while ruminating on this topic it suddenly occurred to me that I already have the perfect CV controller...

Hi ModLifeCrisis,

I just uploaded the STO review report, available here:

https://garfieldmodular.net/index.php/make-noise/make-noise-sto/

Thank you very much for reading it and kind regards, Garfield.
-- GarfieldModular

Hey Garfield. Thanks for letting me know. I just downloaded it. Wow, that's a really in-depth review. I've read your overview and agree with your opinion about the STO. I don't have one, but it would be a good VCO to have. Just wish I had the space. One day, I will obviously have to get a bigger case. Thanks again. Regards, MLC

Hi ModLifeCrisis,

Now that's a lovely long track! The way you play with those sounds is beautifully done, it's a pleasure to listen at it :-)

He, he, very recognisable that you sit behind the computer and reshuffle the racks with your (future) modules and indeed quite additive; I experienced that as well. I need to start doing that for my new studio setup somewhere soon as well but still hesitating because I know once I start, I barely can stop...

Thank you very much for your nice demo video and the great sound, this is how every weekend should start, very enjoyable :-) ! Kind regards, Garfield.
-- GarfieldModular

Hi Garfield, thanks for the response. I appreciate it. It is very hard to stop, once you stop. I'm now considering a mainly Mutable Instruments set up and am too afraid to start it. :)

That is a great patch and performance! Love it. The slow degradation of the repeats on the El Capistan is such a great subtle morphing effect. So many great disparate sounds brought together in a very cohesive way.

And I totally understand the ModularGrid addiction. You're not alone. I've fully embraced it and it's been a remarkably fulfilling journey so far. Modular tickles me in so many ways - the scientist part of my brain is more stimulated now than it has been in decades, the musician part of my brain has been seriously broadened, the hobbyist/collector side of me is getting satiated. I'm thrilled to have discovered this experience.

I always enjoy your videos. Please keep them coming.

Cheers
-- TumeniKnobs

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it. And good to know I'm not alone. I love the way you're embracing it. I think that is very healthy and something I should maybe try. Cheers to you too. Regards, MLC.

I may have been spending too long on Modular Grid recently. I have been building bigger, more elaborate racks on Modular Grid and can't seem to leave it alone. This is surprising because in my recent modular videos I have noticed that I never use all the modules I have for a single patch in just 84hp. So I decided to create a patch that uses everything, plus a few extras. I liked the result and recorded a YouTube performance.

On Todd Barton's Patreon site he set us a 1-minute performance-patch-composition challenge. I don't think I managed the 'patch' part, but there is a lot of fading in and fading out and something tricky with the Morphagene. I'm looping into the Strymon El Capistan, which is off camera. If anyone else fancies having a go at this, why not post the results here. Might be fun... :)

Hi Garfield,
Thanks for your reply. I'm cross with myself for never checking out what the Model CV input did, but it's a nice surprise. All manner of fun with that one. It's one of the things I really like about modular is the constant learning journey. Keeps my tired old brain active. Kind regards to you too.
p.s. I'd like to read your review of the STO when you have the time to finish it :)

I've made three stupendous discoveries this week.

First, I learned how to transpose a sequence on the SQ-1. I love the SQ-1 but I've always been a bit frustrated that you can't easily transpose a set of notes up and down. But I've discovered that if you stick to 8-note sequences you can use the A and B channels to shift the sequence about by using the FM input on Plaits, or the Varispeed on the Morphagene. Great stuff.

Second, and best of all, I've downloaded an app that lets me swing the sequencer. The SyncKontrol from Korg plugs into the Sync in on the SQ-1 and has a swing function. This is great for giving your modular a bit of a shuffle. Really pleased to have discovered this.

And finally, and I'm embarrassed not to have known this, I've learned what the Model input on Plaits does... doh!

Hi Garfield, thanks. I'm glad you like the introductions. I'm never sure whether to include them so it is good to have some feedback. The churchy drone is from Plaits. I love the chord setting, and find it easier to manage than the Telharmonic, which I had for a while. All the rest comes from Animoog, which I've 'discovered' and really love. I'm thinking it's going to have a permanent place in my tiny modular setup. I just need to find a way to get it to keep still!

And yes, that's Pippin. We had her for a short while and the field in the film is where we used to take her for walks most days. The final clip, where she is running through the white wild garlic, was her last ever walk! To be honest, I wasn't really keen on having a dog but once we got her she got under my skin. Still miss her, especially when we go for a walk...

I've been having fun with Morphagene again, this time teaming it up with the Animoog app, along with Maths and an SQ-1. My two discoveries for the week are: 1) I can modulate the Morphagene with just the moisture in my fingers and 2) what an amazing app the Animoog is. Thanks for watching. :)

Dammit...this is making me want to add that "Maths skiff" to the sandbox...pair of Maths + a MISO to feed ALL of the patchables here.
-- Lugia

Yep, I think two Maths would be great - although that would be nearly half my rack! :)

Hi ModLifeCrises,

Wow, what a sound you got there! Weird and beautiful at the same time, well done! :-)

Thank you very much for this demo and kind regards, Garfield.
-- GarfieldModular

Thanks. I surprised myself with the sound, especially the 'cuckoo' which just sort of emerged from nowhere. I think the cuckoo was Maths end of cycle into FM input of Maths, creating a cuck-ooo two note phrase. Crazy! :)

Hello ModLifeCrisis,

Thank you very much for the interesting demo. Gives me a good appetite for the Morphagene (again) :-)

Kind regards, Garfield.
-- GarfieldModular

Hello to you too :). Thanks. I love the Morphagene. It always surprises me. Some days I can't get anything from it. Other days I switch it on, wiggle a bit and 'hey presto!' find something I really like. I think it's got built-in random... :)

Thanks for sharing! I love to see people making the most of modular. I’m inspired to try some new ideas now.
-- farkas

Hey there. You're welcome. Thanks for taking the time to watch it! V. glad you feel inspired.

Fantastic, I enjoy these videos very much. But it also makes me want to get a Maths, over and over again 😬 I also dig the tune, not to shabby for only three modules (and sq1) used!
-- zuggamasta

Maths is super cool. It's a bit big, especially for my tiny rack, but I can't imagine trying to make a patch without it. I suppose other modules do similar things but I always seem to find a use for it. Glad you liked the tune, it was an odd little ditty. I still don't really know where the cuckoo came from... :)

I've been having fun this week listening to a monthly podcast I've discovered called Source of Uncertainty, which is all about Buchla synthesisers. It led me to rearrange my rack slightly to fall in line with a Buchla paradigm. I then created a patch that sort of uses the Maths as a sequencer...

In episode 5 of the podcast, they discuss two modules, the 281 Quad Function Generator and the 292 Quad Dynamic Manager. According to the podcasters, these two modules are a cornerstone of the Buchla synthesiser designs. What I was really surprised about was how much they have in common with the Make Noise Maths and Optomix Eurorack modules. This is probably not news to most modular enthusiasts, but it was news to me. And it got me thinking... I've got a Maths and an LxD (a half-sized Optomix) so I've basically got half a Buchla already! Not...

I've had a bit of an issue with my Cre8 Audio Nifty Case, and had to take all my modules out. I took the opportunity to place my Maths and LxD next to each other, just as the Buchla 281 and 292 modules are often placed together. I then came up with a weird little patch that, in my head at least, is sort of using the Maths as a sequencer and I liked it enough to record a short performance.

Gosh, that's amazing. I wouldn't know where to start. Hats off to you for creating such a beautiful constellation of modules. I have no idea even what most of those modules do. But no Beads? And no sample modules? You must be able to squeeze something in. I suppose the Disting mk2 can sample. For myself, I like the idea of sample modules in modular... it takes me back to Musique concrète... those were the days...

Thanks for sharing, I'm waiting on a Morphagene myself and this is very inspiring for the upcoming experiments !
I also love using Maths as a drone VCO, very cool tone control possibilities
-- toodee

Congratulations on the Morphagene! It takes up a lot of space in my tiny rack but I don't regret it. From my fledgling experience of modular, I believe you have many exciting sonic journeys ahead of you. If you'll allow me one word of advice... if you find you arrive at a point where the Morphagene is creating something incredible then record it! I've lost count of the times when I've stumbled upon a sweet spot, then tweak some more and never get it back! Happy trails...

I really like the look and sound of Beads and I've been watching YouTube avidly to learn more about it. Unfortunately my little 84HP rack is full up and, anyway, Beads is sold out in the UK. I was interested to learn that it uses a recording buffer, however, and that got me thinking about the Morphagene, which also has a recording buffer. Learning about Beads inspired me to use the Morphagene in a way that is new for me...

This version has interresting patch notes. A lot of information in this muff thread.

-- defragmenteur

Wow, that's great! So is the thread. Thanks so much for pointing them out to me. Back to the drawing board!

Many thanks for the above comments. In another forum someone has said I shouldn't be using a sequencer for a true Krell patch, which is probably true. I need to go back to Todd Barton's video tutorial and study it.

I have had a first go at creating a Krell patch with MI Plaits, Maths and the 2HP RND, plus a few other bits and bobs.

I continue to be interested in the Buchla format and was very surprised to learn that much of the 200e series is digital. Learning how the 25e Buchla oscillator works made me take a closer look at my Plaits module and I have come back to it with increased respect and a desire to see what I can coax out of it. It's not like a Buchla module, I realise that, but I am finding that the more I learn about Don Buchla's work and designs, the more I learn about synthesis and patching in general. I have also been watching Todd Barton's videos over at his Patreon site. This is a great resource, especially if you are new to modular like myself.

Hope you enjoy my video. If you do happen to like it, please can you click the 'thumbs up'. It makes me so happy! :)

Cool. I still want a real Buchla and Serge panel one day. Would be fun to combine with eurorack.
-- sacguy71

Yes, I would like a Buchla too. I'm quite taken by the Easel. It's expensive, and compared to what you could buy in Eurorack for the same money, expensive I suppose. But I'm drawn to how well it has been designed and sometimes less is more. Although sometimes more is more too, I guess...

Sounds great. Plaits shines here. Buchla is alien to me but I'm always blown away by what people do with it. For patch inspiration I've used the Madrona Labs Aalto plug-in, which is inspired by Buchla system. You can get great patch ideas just by noodling around with it. Aalto
-- JoePaige

Yep, I'm finding that it pays to persist with Plaits (sorry about the alliteration!) and when I modulate it I've managed to get some quite gnarly sounds out of it, which I like. I was a bit worried at first that my rack was basically digital but the more I learn about the few modules I have, the more I see that there is always a new way to patch them up and get something cool. Thanks for the tip about Aalto. I've had a quick browse and it looks really cool. I'm going to download the demo and try it out. Cheers.

Excellent idea and video. May have to try this patch. Thanks for sharing!
-- farkas

Hi ModLifeCrisis,

Wow-oh-wow! What a sound you got there!!! That's a kind of sound you want to die for, that good! :-)

Nicely done and thanks a lot for sharing this, kind regards, Garfield Modular.
-- GarfieldModular

Thanks both for your responses. It was quite a fun patch to explore. I enjoyed the performance aspect of it. And I did like the sound I got from Plaits. I'm very new to modular, but one thing I'm finding is that I need to have the patience to twiddle and twiddle and try a wire here and a wire there, for ages, and sometimes, if I'm lucky, out of nowhere I'll get this amazing sound. Often not, too, of course. Or I'll get a sound I like then lose it again...

I've recently become interested in Buchla synthesisers, in particular the Buchla Easel. I've been very taken with Todd Barton's demonstrations of this instrument. One of the things I found interesting was that learning about the deceptively simple design of the Buchla Easel, helped me to think about how I might patch my own micro modular set up. I came up with a playable patch that I don't think I would have arrived at if I hadn't learned about the Easel and the way Todd patches it. I guess it's obvious that studying synthesisers will teach you about patching but it is a new idea to me - looking at what Don Buchla considered to be essential for a performance synth gave me fresh eyes when it came to my own patching.

I was inspired enough by this to make a short video, which I've posted on YouTube. Here is the link, if you'd like to watch it.

What do you think? Have I missed anything out? Any better alternatives out there. I plan for FX post rack, and to keep it 'small and perfectly formed' - partly because I'm new to this, and also because of financial reasons. I've already purchased Maths, Plaits and the Lxd so they are a given. Everything else could change. Any advice/comments gratefully received. Thanks.

ModularGrid Rack

Thank you everyone, very much, for your input. I will certainly look into all these options.

I've been having super fun fiddling around with putting modules in and out on the modular grid app. So far I have come up with the following, including Plaits (which I have already bought).

Plaits
Maths (Make Noise) - seems to be able to do so much and I like the fact that I don't understand it!
Telharmonic (Make Noise) - another funky looking oscillator
Stages (Mutable Instruments) - I think I could use it for envelopes, triggers and LFOs
Ripples (Mutable Instruments) - seems like a safe bet for a filter and can also be an oscillator and LFO
Doepfer A132-3 Dual Linear/Exponential VCA - figuring I'll need at least two VCAs
Narrow Mini Mixer (Doepfer) - guess I'll need one.
Disting Mk4 (Expert Sleepers) - maybe use an effect but also be good in case there is anything else I need as it appears to be able to do almost anything! I like the fact I could use it as a sampler or another oscillator.

What do people think?

I have just purchased Plaits from Mutable Instruments as my first module.

My plan is to create a small modular rack 84HP, to go with my other hardware synths and use it to create sounds I cannot get from more traditional analog synths. I already have a Prophet 6, Boomstar 5089 and a Roland SH-09, so I feel I am covered for pads, bass and leads. I have also purchased the Nifty Case, so this gives me Midi in, two channels of CV gate and a basic audio out.

What I am after is stranger sounds, more esoteric wobbles and weirdness, beautiful plinks and plonks. I really liked the sound of Plaits and like the fact that it is digital. I have plenty of guitar effects and also an El Capistan Strymon pedal, so I don't necessarily need any reverb or delay.

My question is: what modules do you think would go well in a small set up to complement Plaits? I don't want my modular system to grow and grow beyond the 84HP (famous last words!). I'd like to keep it small and only buy a few modules, each of which can do a lot and each of which fits in beautifully with the others.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.