Sorry if that's TMI
-- adamj

not at all.... thanks for the insight!

this is a 'known' feature of some electrical items... including modules... it's called 'inrush'

if it's only when plugged into certain places, I'd move it - possibly some busboards have limits...

-- JimHowell1970

Its a phenomena where a capacitor with very low ESR is demanding very high current (becaus of the super low resistance) during startup and therefore the PSU is driven into saturation. That will probably cause trouble initializing digital modules... So yes, moving it would be a good idea... especially considering the lifespan of your PSU

try connecting the power inputs of the opposite modules then! this way you dont need a psu. would be interesting to hear that madness...

i think 40 is to much btw...

Never more true words, I am definitley becoming a discriminating gourmet, I even feel like my module-buying is slowly coming to an end.... Shocking I know

-- wishbonebrewery

Who would have guessed that a bigger case is the cure for GAS :D
Now I´m convinced to go for it.

Just imagine the look in the face of my imaginary girlfriend when I tell her that... lovely

The AI discussion is pointless in my opinion. I realized it when i watched a review of a camera and the person reviewing it was saying "Sony pls make AI happen..." I was like "fuck please no". I´m into photography because of creating and not only because of the result. I mean I love it if the picture turns out to be awsome but i want to create it by myself. AI often feels like a shortcut

I never felt joy in using synth presets either. I guess thats what led me to Modular as well.
The process itself is what brings fun and knowledge in a delightful package :)
Any AI creating a sound for me will kill that nice vibe while you hear your new sound and I guess it´ll also kill the "aha effect" .
But maybe I´m wrong... maybe it´s just another way of being creative.
Anyway, I came to the conclusion that I couldn´t care less about AI synthesis. I just want to enjoy fiddling those beautiful knobs...

Professionally, thats a whole different story. I use bots like Chat GPT for lots of things. For example problems / concepts I just can´t wrap my head around. Things you can´t build on a breadboard quickly. Stuff like this... It´s fantastic in this regard. The most patient coworker I can possibly imagine :)

Thanks all so far... great answers.

Adam, from the name I can tell you have a Volkskabinett from Eric Needham, right? Are you happy with it? How´s the PSU? Any noise or other complaints?

Regarding mixers, I finally gave in trying to find something I'd be happy with in-rack and ended up buying an external mixer

Noise Engineering just released a new mixer... maybe it´s something you like

longer cables & layout - see above... you may find that you want to use your current 6u 104hp case as a control skiff in front if the 15u is vertical - I find that I prefer sequencers, controllers, end of chain mixer etc are best horizontal and at the front

OK, thats probably ergonomically better to have it horizontally or what is the matter?
The Case is not entirely straight. Its straight at the top but concave towards the bottom.

I didn´t think about new cables that will add cost of course.

not really, more an extrapolation of what I was doing with a smaller case... more voices to patch (potentially) - use more utilities to make the most of modulation (multing, combining, inverting, attenuating etc) so less modulation sources can be used to modulate more modules... with related modulation... so things fit together better...

Sounds like the way I like to work anyway... nice

Do you work on patches for a longer time than in a small case?

probably - they take longer to patch - and take longer to finesse

Would you say they got better though?

Regarding mixers, I finally gave in trying to find something I'd be happy with in-rack and ended up buying an external mixer, the Tascam Model 12. It's a digital mixer (6 mono / 2 stereo channels) that handles eurorack levels well. With it I can also record on an SD card on the unit or use it as a multi-track audio interface to record to computer.
-- PragmaticusMax

Good to now! I´m also interested in the tascam Mixers... Do you know if this is true for the bigger models as well? The Model 12 is the only digital one, right?

Basically it's 10 3u frames in 5 rows. (2x 84hp wide and 15u height)

this way i can also fit 19"outboard or a 500 rack inside.

So, you started curating your modules more precisely when building a patch? Is that what you´re saying?

I guess it´s a beginner mistake but every dream rack should have a maths! You´re welcome...

Hi there,

I´m in the market for a big rack (10 x 84hp) and I have a few questions.
I have two smaller racks right now (2x104 each) and I can get a ton of good stuff out of this setup.
Since a while I´m thinking about a bigger "studiocase". A solid wood case with proper Hinton Instruments PSU, sitting on a nice rolling cart thing to move around.... I will keep a small one for live use though.

My questions

What did change for you when you switched to a bigger setup?
Do you work differently?
Do you work on patches for a longer time than in a small case?
Is it somehow harder or more easy to build a sound?
Was it a good step or do you regret it it any way?

Would be nice to hear about your experiences or your thoughts if you´re in the same position.
Thanks

Hi there! Despite the fact that some of their practices are bull****, i have to say most of the gear sounds pretty decent, at least to my ears. Model D is a great example. If i can´t find a Minimoog or a TR909 for less than 6000€ (or find them at all) and want to have those sounds, I don´t see why I shouldn´t use a B product. I know there is a TR8s and it is awesome (first hand experience) but maybe you prefer the simplicity of the original. Roland is refusing to reissue this, I see why and respect that but others maybe don´t. They want a copy, they buy a copy.

I worked in development myself and can understand that they safe tons of money by copying. And this is where it gets nasty. Using products that are actually in production like the Mother32 or Dfam, from a small company thats probably struggling due to corona, chip shortage, whatever... is an absolute sh**move. I don´t think this is helping the industry because we definitely need developers like moog. If they have to shut down operation, that would be a loss for all of us.

Anyway... let´s just have more fun wiggling and choose wisely what to buy.

cheers everybody

Hi folks,

I´m just trying to find some good companionship for my Generate 3. Purpose of the 2x104hp Case is a single voice source, Techno oriented Synth. I found this approach quite appealing since i built a DnB oriented case with the CS-L as the only sound source.

The basic idea was to use the output options of G3 to split out the sound to different signal paths. Maybe this will be tricky due to limited space (and wigglebility in mind). Verbos Multistage, Sequence Selector, Scan&Pan, Multi Envelope are sitting in the Case as well. The rest is more or less undefined.

Does anybody use G3 as a single voice system? If so, what are your suggestions?
What modules did you find work really nice with the G3? Any magical combinations? Something that didn´t work at all?
Whatever tips you can give me, I´m happy to hear it.

cheers

Hi there fellow wigglers,

This is my live Rack right now... I wand to get a flexible fx routing and an "easy to use" transitioning option.

I also have:

Arcaico Raverb, Doepfer Audio divider, f(h) plaque barreer, afa coma reactor, worng LRMSMSLR, a jomox rackonizer, a second joranalogue switch 4, doepfer 182-2 switch, multiples, doepfer dual switch, doepfer ring mod, doepfer random/ noise,

considering: Strymon magneto (thoughts on this one are welcome - the idea was to use it as a "not in time loop thing") , Verbos cv processor, Verbos random sampling, Worng vector space

What would you do to have a nice and easy way to rout FX, making transitions and sound design for this LIVE rack?

Mix is going to Octatrack, thats used to make the transitions on the meta level (like drops, beat change, ...) - so the rack transition should act as a subtle or slow changes option...

All opinions and thoughts are appreciated! No need to only work within the leftover rack space...

Thanks for your help
Cheers

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1720865.jpg

Hi Guys, does this make sense? I want a highly performable Voice.
Thanks

ModularGrid Rack

Hi, thanks for your reply. Could you be more specific?
my questions:
Noise - Why not the noise of MS20 and Dfam?
Sample & Hold (optional) - Yeah thought about that, is the Doepfer 118-2, 148, 184 a good option?
Dedicated LFOs? - Whats wrong with the Pam´s LFO´s?
Dedicated ADSRs? - I prefer using ad. So maybe in a future rack but for now im ok with quadra. Or is there a specific reason like something that is not possible or complicated or... ?
VCAs? - How many would you add?

Thanks a lot for your input.
cheers

Hi Gridpeople,

im not new to synthesis but im new to modular. I have built a nice setup and a little space left. I wanted to ask if you can give an opinion about it and if I missed something really important. If so, feel free to recommend whatever you think.
Also i would love to hear if there is something you would have done differently. Maybe reorder modules for better ergonomics, switch something to have better sound, add VCA`s... whatever. Hit me with your wisdom!

At the moment I am using the rack for live/studio techno, ambient, noisy stuff. I also have some external gear: Octatrack, TR-8s, Dfam, System 1m a Lyra and a MS20+SQ1.

Thanks in advance!

ModularGrid Rack