Thread: Acid Sundays

This sounds pretty sick @wishbonebrewery, 8:14 in particular is niiiiice. One question on my mind: do you have a compressor in or out of the rack? I couldn't quite tell but when I've added one to my acid jams it adds a nice extra flavor to take it to the next level.

unfortunately discontinued...

-- JimHowell1970

Life is very tough!!

I like Gnarly Times A a lot too @farkas, learning to do live looping with the Squid Salmple has been nice!! No spring reverb on these track, I do have the Doepfer one but I kept getting weird interference... I'd like to try the Intellijel one since it lets you wire up the tank outside of the rack... matter of fact I should pop on over to Control and see if they restocked it πŸ˜†

That's where the NCOM comes in @JimHowell1970 πŸ˜†

I was reflecting on my NCOM answer and was thinking that this is where we're missing @Lugia nowadays. If he were here he'd be advising you to build your own low bass by mixing in multiple oscillators that are slighly detuned to get that super fat sound. He's got a post somewhere about this (or maybe a few) that I'll go try and dig up.

@Scarfmeister it's definitely pricy, but it works like so: route your VCO's square wave out to a mixer and to the NCOM, then the NCOM into the mixer too and adjust relative volumes for taste. It creates fat subharmonics that can be either octaves or sort of like intervals in which case you get interesting chord like effects. Maths and in general function generators can do this too, but IMHO NCOM just does a pretty spectacular job of it.

Beads has never clicked with me for one reason or another, I'll put +1s behind Magneto, Mimeophon, and throw FX Aid out there as a dark horse contender, tons of options and range even if the others have more depth.

Just released a split with my long-time friend Versioning from Ohio, check it out here.

https://temporarymountain.bandcamp.com/album/split

Versioning has a multi-"desktop synth" setup, including a Neutron and the Teenage Engineering modular.

Both my tracks were made with the following rack, track 1 leaning on Squid Salmple for live looping goodness, track 2 using Rings for feedback. Hope you all enjoy!

ModularGrid Rack

Nice work as always @farkas, I could have listened to 30 minutes of this unfolding easily (nudge nudge)

Serge NCOM is a sneaky contender here, can add some super fat subharmonics.

I can't speak to the complaint. That said your modules are... interesting, but tbh kind of cool. Kudos for thinking outside the box.

PS - If you built an Exhaust fan with case power and a switch to turn it off and on I would probably buy one just for some peace of mind.

IMHO it's hard to go wrong with the Intellijel Quad VCA, always sounds clean and has a ton of features packed in. You might have even been the one to recommend it to me @farkas.

I like that @Sweelinck, thank you!

@Niemandsland feedback patching is pretty tricky, the smallest adjustments in amplitude can cascade and get too loud or descend into silence. I need to get better at that but I'm glad you enjoyed it!

In a continuation of my monomaniacal focus on feedback patching, I re-did a recent piece of mine, extending it and shifting the perspective a bit. The mixing isn't quite perfect, but with headphones there's quite a bit going on while also nothing really happens... I think it turned out pretty sweet and I'd love to hear what you all think.

Made with:

ModularGrid Rack

Nice work and breakdown! That bassline especially sounds great πŸ•ΊπŸΌ

Jim and Radical aren't wrong exactly, but I think this is doable with a few caveats:

1) you will be menu diving
2) you won't get the range you want from a full system, but you can have some fun

Here's my crack at it:

ModularGrid Rack

1) Steppy isn't a great choice here, we can get better sequencing, so it's replaced with a Duatt in the 1U row to create more mixing possibilities for modulation, a scope (always useful), and a lowpass gate for when you want something a little different
2) an Ornament and Crime creates A LOT more opportunity for generative ambient and such, it's super versatile with a bunch of modes and will open this thing up
3) a Pam's can do so much, trigger sequencing like a Steppy but also LFOs, function generation, euclidean rhythms, etc.
4) Warps over a dedicated wave folder, it gives you a bunch of options for other types of sound mangling, and it's still available both used and new
5) ochd is great but you don't have room for it, Pam's replaces the Clep Diaz, and you need some more VCAs, so a Doepfer quad steps in to do the trick
6) FX Aid XL is cool and has lots of effects, you could also choose the ALM multi-effect though it's got fewer effects
7) 6hp for a mixer is too much here and you can use your Doepfer quad VCA for mixing, so I've replaced it with a Nearness v3 and a Disting mk4 opening up all sorts of other functions plus on the fly recording

All together, I think this thing could keep you busy and be a good learning rack to try out ideas and some demo recordings which is honestly half the battle.

It looks like there's already a module page for it?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-liquid-foam-

Thanks @TumeniKnobs!

I've been on this kick since sometime in early 2022, it's kind of amazing how much variation and experimentation you can do with feedback as your starting point. I'm really loving it.

I've been wayyyyyyyyyy deep down a "feedback patching" hole (60 hours of recorded audio) and haven't posted in forever, but I was poking my head above ground today and thought I'd say hello to you all. If you're into feedback patching and want to hear some good drones that take their time to develop, check these two most recent pieces of mine out:

feedback vol 1

feedback vol 2

Made with:

ModularGrid Rack

Super chill, thanks for sharing @jingo

Excellent points @JimHowell1970

Thanks @Lugia, and that's a great suggestion. I've got another rack I can sit next to this that adds some more effects, but 1) you're right that opening up into the pedal space is cheaper and 2) there's a ton more variety available in that space (both of which are interesting facts, I wonder why that is). For the moment I've really been enjoying keeping things focused, one rack designed for a purpose and feel I've learned a lot that way, but down the road I very well may incorporate some pedals and see what I can learn from that too!

Last fall I started working on a sound exploration rack to really play around with the building blocks of synthesis a bit more, try some things that aren't so "Rings into Clouds" (though the rack has a Clouds lol) and that are more about making new sounds, sound design, testing, playing around, and doing a lot of listening. The rack has been through a few iterations but you can see it in its current state here:

ModularGrid Rack

I've got hours and hours of drones recorded on this thing, but recently I started doing some feedback patching (inspired by the La Synthese Humaine guy) and now have hours and hours of that too. 🀣 I've got a lot to learn still and tons of ideas, but I thought I'd share a 30 minute feedback drone from yesterday that turned out pretty well, lots of texture, phases, development... Personally I find this type of music very zen as long as it keeps moving, which this one does. So, check it out and hope you enjoy!

[

Thread: // acou

Looks pretty sweet

Nice work @TumeniKnobs. Question: which rack did you make this with? I'm curious about a few different points.

Thanks @Exposure, and yes that's the Salmple on drums. It's sequenced by the micro Grids with the accent out hitting an envelope to give it a little more oopmh.

Thanks @wishbonebrewery, the 90s were good times so I'll take it!

You could definitely have some fun with this bad boy, no need for a mult from what I can tell though, I'd add an HPO to make life simpler.

That is an interesting one @nickgreenberg, thanks for sharing! And @GarfieldModular thanks for the Waldorf review :)

Thanks @farkas, and yep, that's the FX Aid on reverb with the Reverb Black Hole algorithm.

After spending months working on feedback patches, I took a break, redid my acid rack, and had some fun cranking this out tonight, hope you all enjoy!

Made with:
ModularGrid Rack

The MCO is turning out to be a particularly versatile oscillator, MSCL adds a nice touch, Squid Salmple rules, having just rebuilt the rack I think there's a lot for me to explore but so far so good.

Nice one @farkas, whenever you get that Ohio warehouse rave gig booked let me know I'm definitely coming πŸ•ΊπŸ•Ί

Have you used that one @GarfieldModular? I'm definitely curious.

@Lugia I'm thinking I want something a bit more flexible, the L-1 compressors come to mind and I'm also curious about Vintage Synth Labs AWM-3

@M01C and @JimHowell1970 changes made! And thank you @GarfieldModular, happy to give a bit back here for all the great folks who've helped me along on my journey :)

@Sweelinck, you're talking Conrad's language for sure. If you're interested check some thoughts out here http://media.hyperreal.org/zines/est/intervs/conrad.html

I think I'm almost assuredly going to get a Tanh at some point, that L-1 looks cool too thanks for the recommendation @adaris.

I've been doing a ton of feedback patching lately and have had luck with the "Build Your Own Compressor" DUSG approach to keeping things under control, but I'm starting to think about getting a dedicated compressor module just for this purpose, so I'm curious: anyone have any compressor modules they think are great for feedbacking?

Thanks!

I can't let a LaMonte mention go by without saying, Tony Conrad did it first and did it better!! Drone for the people >>> Fake occult elitist drone πŸ˜›

It looks like there's one used right here on ModularGrid :)

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/offers/view/557750

Will get that fixed @JimHowell1970. @Quantum_Eraser I checked my email and I never got a WeTransfer from you. If you can send one over to the email I sent you here we can slot it in.

@Quantum_Eraser I'll take a look and get back to you. Should be easy to correct.

We're live! Sorry for the delays you all, but happy to get this out, excellent work for everyone in 2021 :)

https://communitymodularelectronic.bandcamp.com/album/best-of-modular-grid-2021-cme-032

I was doing my own version of the 3 module challenge the other day with an FX Aid, a Res EQ, and a QPAS... feedback patches are fun. Nice work as always @wishbonebrewery!

You haven't missed it @funbun, we're having supply chain issues and you can still sneak on! 🀣🀣

Seriously for everyone else, real life has intervened as seems to happen nowadays, but I'm aiming to get this out this week. Will update then :)

I think you might find this a frustrating exercise as 62HP is just too small, I'd at least go to their 104 HP palette, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. So, voila!

ModularGrid Rack

1) Pam over Algorhythm, no question here at all even if you lose some manual control it does a ton PLUS euclidean so we get several HP back and lots more triggers.
2) Swapped a Disting EX for the Erica FX, it does so much it's silly.
3) Swapped a 1U pique and a Duatt for the Quadratt, your Percall can already do mixing (1 and 2 + 3 and 4 are normalled) and Pique is a great module that does a ton and it will be a secret weapon here to add modulation and character
4) Added Ladik's quantized 4 step sequencer to make things more melodic, but kept the other one as well for things like chord progressions (using your disting as a precision adder for example) or controlling euclidean rhythms on the Pam (Pam channel set to / 64 triggers the Ladik non-quantized sequencer which then feeds back into Pam's CV input1 which you can set to adjust euclidean offset, count, etc)
5) Added a System X ADSR cause it rules and you don't want only AR envelopes, and it means you won't always be using one channel on the Pique for that.

Hope this helps!

No worries all, we're running a bit behind. For those who haven't DM'ed me say hello and we'll sort getting your files.

What about RRR or Anna Logue @wishbonebrewery? Both bangers

What about Hauntitled or Juniper @farkas? Both are pretty fantastic!

@farkas, @JimHowell1970 you two got anything cookin up?