this user has left ModularGrid

Thanks TumeniKnobs!

Endorphin.es are wonderful very unique sound and approach to modular. A bit unconventional controls too as well and funky labels like Make Noise. I usually record audio to DAW via audio interface or to my 1010 Music Bluebox. Since this was a quick and dirty live session, I did not think of it but can record to it next time and split audio from video. I do send the modular output to my 16 channel Mackie mixer. Using the mult hex devices works great to reach long distances between the modular and mixer.

Fun cross patching my smaller systems

this is such a great little supersaw oscillator!

it holds it own too in heavy mix

Maths is so good that it’s one of those rare modules that I have more than one and FX Aid is really good.

Sure in a nutshell a sequential switch let’s you split a signal and route it to different paths sort of like cv mixer but not quite. Chris Meyer of Learning Modular explains it better than my feeble fumbling:

This module comes in a few different forms; in the most common, a few different inputs are routed to one output (although they are usually symmetrical – one input can be switched between several outputs). A pulse or gate input then steps through the inputs one at a time, switching which ones is routed to the output. Fancier sequential switches allow you to set the number of stages, to divide an input clock so it switches at a slower tempo than the master clock, or might directly route a series of inputs to corresponding outputs (with usually a summed output as well).

https://learningmodular.com/glossary/sequential-switch/

It’s a great modular utility along with cv mixer, matrix mixers, attenuators, VCA and logic modules to make interesting patches.

I’m sending prayers to all my friends in Ukraine and Eastern Europe right now.

Love the Black Sequencer it’s powerful and easy to get started. For sequential switch, check out the Hikari Quad switch it’s really good and easy to use. I like using it with a comparator and matrix mixer for creative patching.

I started with downloading the free VCVRack software while reading Patch & Tweak and then bought a Doepfer A100 Basic System. These helped me learn a lot as a complete beginner. Then I bought a lot of gear and now focused on smaller systems cross patched.

Just make your life easier and get a Make Noise Shared System. Thank me later. I’m loving Morphagene and using the Rene v2 sequencer plus Maths is great for modulating it.

Another vote for the Livestock Electronics Maze, I got it yesterday for my new build - it's powerful for 12HP and I really like it.

-- Vow3ll

Right on! I love mine and create presets that let me do transitions and fade in/out cv control on my system. My other modular has 4ms VCA Matrix which is great module as well. Most of recent modules have been to beef up my support utility toolkit.

Hi there,

As a guitar player who moved into modular some tips, first get the book Patch & Tweak such a great guide for beginners to modular! Next download a copy of the free software VCV Rack, it is super helpful to learn how modules and patching work.

I'm not quite sure what modules to start with. I know I need an oscillator, modulation source, sequencer and a VCA so I was thinking of Plaits, Maths, Marbles, and Intellijel''s Quad VCA

Definitely need a good sized case and power supply. I recommend 9u size at minimum and 12u if you can get that for the capable need to not exhaust space too soon. Amalgamod, Doepfer and MLDR make nice cases/power supplies.

Utilities are most important since you can get a lot of mileage with a single VCO and Filter.
You want VCAs, CV mixer, attenuators, mults, LFOs and so forth. I started with Batumi LFO, Doepfer VCO/filter, envelope generator/ADSR, and an Intellijel VCA that is great.

How would I be able to record into Ableton or perform live using a Focusrite 4i4?
Send output from mixer in modular system to an audio interface. I use a MOTU audio interface that receives output from my modular mixer and works well with my DAW and computer.

What are the best resources to get more comfortable with actually patching this rig

Download VCV Rack software on your computer and try building a modular system and patches!
The book Patch & Tweak is great as well.

Fun time this weekend trying various patches with modular

I even had the rare opportunity to try out the new Soma Pulsar 23 synth drum machine.

Jim’s right- I’d ditch the Euclidean Circles and Mordax Data module in a case this size and replace them with something like the Intellijel Quad VCA and a good cv mixer and perhaps add a logic module.

A few suggestions:

1. Remove the Neutron from the case it takes up precious HP and better modules can be used for it on the side. You can chain the Neutron out of case.

2. Get a larger case at least a 12u or 14u case better. If you need compact, the smallest I would get would be something like a Doepfer 9u suitcase.

3. You want lots of support modules like VCAs, attenuators, sequential switch, matrix mixer, logic will really be central to a basic modular system.

4. The book Patch and Tweak is a must to beginners. It really helped me as a total beginner two years ago.

5. You need a good matrix mixer for what you want to do.

To do what you want also get a clock module like Pamela new workout. Having a central clock module will let you sync up the Dnipro dot and Black Sequencer and have more options like logic and so forth.

For sending audio out of the modular and into a DAW, you need either a eurorack mixer and audio interface OR you need to get a module like Expert Sleeper's CV to MIDI/USB interface to convert CV to line audio levels. Expert Sleeper's ES-9 module would do this for you. Actually I need to get one for my Doepfer monster case eventually as well.

My advice- get a Doepfer Monster base case and Doepfer 14u Monster case. Thank me later.

Thanks Garfield,

I did it for two reasons. One is home repairs are my priority and I just spend 7k on new windows and need to install new fencing. That blows my gear budget for the next couple of years. Second, I need to slow down and focus on mastering what I have. I bought a ton of modular gear in the past few years and just scratching the surface. No biggie- I am thankful to have such wonderful modules! I love patching then coming back later to see if I can rise to a new challenge without changing a patch but tweaking something like a parameter or setting on the sequencer for example.

Well I have kept to my no gear 2022 pledge on Elektronauts and focus on learning what I have now. I will wait for video demos and good reviews of the new Buchla Tiptop modules once they are out and have been reviewed heavily.

A few things come to mind as I have actually built such a rack. One- a much larger case at least 6U and the bigger the better.
Two- you need a decent sequencer. I have great experience with ones like Winter Modular Eloquencer it can let you program sequences for recall later to use as preset templates plus view all 8 trigger and cv tracks on one screen- very handy for live use. You need a good trigger sequencer that cannot be understand. Third- attenuators are key and VCAs with envelopes will be essential for drums and bass. Fourth- effects- some reverb is nice on the kick drum and can spice things up a bit. I have the Jomox module and love it but it does take up a lot of space. For bass, any low tuned VCO works. I get mileage out of the Doepfer basic VCO and Noise Engineering Cursus Iteritas. Feed it through a nice filter for squelchy effects when you crank the resonance and get fat bass! I use Doepfer SEM filter and Doepfer Wasp filter for my bass eurorack filters to great results.

Groovy jam! What is the synth with the large white dial on the upper right corner of the video?

Thread: Jamuary

Fun quick patch session

I went with smaller 4 channel mixers that have mute buttons/switches and stereo pan/send/receive that work better for me like Befaco Hexmix, Qu-bit Mixology and Hexinverter Mutant Hot Glue. I feed into larger mixer so works for my needs.

I am using Shakmat Dual Dagger stereo filter with my Acid Rain Chainsaw and it works great. For sequencer, in that small case, I use Endorphin.es Ground Control which works great since I can build a sequence on one voice and play another voice on the keyboard in real time live situation. It lets me send both 1v/oct and gate triggers to Chainsaw and also has 8 triggers for percussion modules. I can create and save patterns for future recall and the new firmware has additional features.

I use Queen of Pentacles for percussion and they play well together. VCAs- I use 1u After Later Audio DVCA and Plum Audio 1u Apex for modulation. These work great in my small 4u palette case.

I like Squid Salmple a lot for sampling and mangling plus it has 8 channels and filter options. Sample time is short but long enough for basic stuff and editing clips is easy. For more esoteric stuff, I use Morphagene. The ultimate Eurorack sampler is the Rossum Assimil8or but it’s a very expensive module.

Eric Synths Polivoks is a nice filter as well and pretty basic to use and has the ability to use as a low pass or band pass filter.

you didnt want a filter or anything dedicated to audio processing ? i hope youve got stackcables or something; otherwise youlll need mults sooner or later. its not a bad rack but it just kinda feels like all that modulations got nowhere to go
-- moremagic

I absolutely do want filters, but just don't know enough about them to make a decision. Are there any you'd recommend as good overall filter modules? Would Morgasmatron be a good choice?

-- canyllyr

Rossum Morpheus Z Plane filter and IME Bionic Lester are super awesome filters that do tons of things. I highly recommend them.
For a basic filter, the Doepfer Wasp is great filter than can self oscillate and get wild or be tamed down. Filters are loads of fun.

Thanks! Yes, if I come up with a good sound, then I try to record to my DAW or to sd card on my 1010 Music Bluebox mixer for later use. Right now, I have half a dozen tracks recorded that I plan to remix into songs this year and produce an album. Rossum Trident is a sweet complex oscillator. Morpheus is crazy good filter.

Have you contacted Mutable Instruments for help? Another idea is to post the question on the Mutable Instruments forum:
https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/

Fun last nite with Rossum Trident oscillator

cool

Yea I heard that the new Matrix movie was a wokefest of bad fan fiction. Same with the Amazon Wheel of Time show that was a hot mess of woke race swapping and far left man hating LGBTQ agenda that disgraced the awesome Robert Jordan novels. Oh hell, guess it’s old movies, books and modular synths for me til this bad agenda ends.
-- sacguy71

This is some fascist garbage that has nothing at all to do with Matrix Mixers, modular, or even the real world. Keep that garbage to yourself and maybe think about why you feel so threatened by casting choices and LGBTQ acceptance, my dude.

On topic, the AIS Matrix Mixer is great and an easy DIY project. I use it constantly. It's nothing fancy but it's dirt cheap if you do DIY.
-- blambo

It’s a free country dude and you sir have the right to my opinion!

I started reading the Wheel of Time books after how bad the show on Amazon was and delighted to enjoy the books a lot. Lot of reading though 15 novels each between 600-1000 pages in length so I am putting my fantasy speed reading skills to test. Lord of the Rings and the Dragonriders of Pern are still my favorite fantasy series of books though. If you liked the Matrix movies, I highly recommend the Spawl trilogy of cyberpunk novels starting with Neuromancer. Quite excellent reading and shorter in length.

I make some cool hi hats from Erbeverb modulated by Maths as well as with Black Code Source for creative way to do so without dedicated percussion modules.

Yea I heard that the new Matrix movie was a wokefest of bad fan fiction. Same with the Amazon Wheel of Time show that was a hot mess of woke race swapping and far left man hating LGBTQ agenda that disgraced the awesome Robert Jordan novels. Oh hell, guess it’s old movies, books and modular synths for me til this bad agenda ends.

I like Hexinverter Mutant Drums Hi Hat module quite a bit. Also have WMD Crucible that is fun for weird stuff.

Indeed and even in my smaller setups, I strive for utilities and tools like VCAs, envelopes and attenuators. My smallest case has these and I use them a lot in complex patches. Now with 1u tools and small hp sized support modules, it makes life easier.

True but for me, dedicated VCAs are better in my experience but I like control and simplicity if possible.

Agree Livestock Electronics Maze is great and can also let you create fade in/fade out transitions of CV control which is really nice for making smooth movements. Still learning mine but all good. My 2022 mantra is no gear purchases so I can focus on what I have no and I even put blank panels to avoid the temptation.

You could run an external drum machine like a Roland TR-8 through a Eurorack distortion module like Schlappi Engineering 100 Grit to get industrial percussion sounds and save money plus free up space in your case for more support modules and utilities. Also besides distortion, I’m finding that feeding drums through a compressor and EQ helps a lot as well.

Yup need more VCAs and in my travel cases I have at least two to four VCAs per small case.

Really looking forward to the Tip Top Buchla modules! I cannabilized modules from monster case to use for portable setups so could use a few Buchla modules later on. Wish Random Source would make their Serge modules for Eurorack affordable as well.

Thanks Garfield! No worries, it is good experience learning how to clean up audio files recorded.
I am working on a modular album and building my sound library of recordings that will be edited, remixed and remastered by end of next year.

Oh wow that’s cool to hear that you can run the MPC Live on battery pack.

I’m using headphones with my Motu 4 audio interface. Works great and such a good audio interface. Recording direct from modular to my DAW is a piece of cake now.

DM sent just now with my modular track. I’m planning to release a modular dance album next year as my personal challenge for the new year. Might as well make music with my modular!

Ok it should be hopefully be fixed now and in stereo:

=4bcb4ce8534941bc9968468fe540cd93&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Spent time cleaning it up with Audacity and had to double track with one left channel and second copy track right and then mix render to stereo. A pain but good learning experience! I will have to clean it up in Studio One later and remaster in Audacity on the PC that I recorded it from. I cleaned it up on Mac but had to download and update my Babyface RME audio drivers on Mac and fun times.

Thanks Garfield yeah I found that issue just now and need to edit the mix on my DAW later today.
Probably is a setting in Studio One to create stereo track and record in stereo mix. I switched from Ableton to Studio One as the DAW is easier to use for me and offers more mixing and editing features so have to master it as well.

Enjoy!

=651722f1d45a40b0a78793d001cb53b4&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

I recorded direct to Studio One for future edit and remixing. Jomix kick, Tiptop 909 clap, Mutant Snare/Hi hats and some fun voicing.

Looks really good and on wish list as well as the Dot sequencer. I probably should pick these up at some point.

How do we participate? I am working on several new tracks and here is a taste:

Fun experiment with new 7u build: