this user has left ModularGrid

Hope you find this fun beats

Ran it through audacity to remove dead space on track. Used Jomox bass and WMD percussion modules with Doepfer and Plaits for the voices.
-- sacguy71

Mister ''I Know Everything'' Doesn't manage to record his tracks in stereo.
-- Next_G

Hey Mr. Next G A$$hole where did I ever say that I knew everything? You never post anything constructive or useful here and are nothing but a filthy troll. Take your crap elsewhere.

Hey Mr Next_G clown hide behind keyboard warrior, why don't you post your tracks and how to solve issues to help folks here instead of being a sniping dickhead? You are a clown and jerk. Oh BTW the audio is stereo from DAW. Maybe get your hearing checked?

I love the Doepfer SEM and Wasp filters quite amazing and less expensive than a lot other filters. Here is a good demo of the Doepfer SEM filter sweep I used today

Hope you find this fun beats

Ran it through audacity to remove dead space on track. Used Jomox bass and WMD percussion modules with Doepfer and Plaits for the voices.

Update since then, I have the DPO, Trident, and Furthrrr Generator as well as Hertz Donut and Loquelic Iteritas Percido as complex oscillators now. All great but the Rossum Trident is great overall and Hertz Donut can be super aggressive or organ and flute like tones.

Used Queen of Pentacles enjoy

And for me finding the sequencers that mesh well with me has been part of the fun and challenge. So far I’m liking the combo of the Eloquencer with Erica Synths Black Sequencer with a WMD Performance mixer, utilities and few drum modules with a couple voices for bass and melodic stabs.

Yes, more modulation is very important! Besides Maths, I like Intellijel Quadrax with the expander a lot as it provides lots of modulation options.

Same here well quite a few folks are talented and make cool beats on their modulars. Mastering my sequencers and tools has been important for me so I can get decent beats and patterns cooking and then adjust the rest.

Some modular techno I made this week:

I am in an online modular group and we have a weekly modular music challenge that has me focused on mastering my gear. Most of the tracks that I produce are too far out there to be music but over time, my skills develop and I come up with some good tunes. I am really enjoying using my WMD Metron and WMD percussion modules to create beats lately and the Rossum Trident with Mob of Emus into my Rossum Morpheus Z Plane filter sounds incredible! I do find Hertz Donut a tricky beast to sound musical but with the Stillson Hammer (SH) thru the 1v/oct connection to cv on the SH that gets me more results. I clock the WMD Metron to the Stillson Hammer so melody and drums are in sync. All in all, endless fun!

Very true and I don’t regret it in fact modular is most fun I’ve had years in music stuff.

@Gworn, same here. I just do this for fun and creating weird stuff is exciting. I never know what result I will get even if I craft patch and sequencer perfectly.

For me the cost financially to buy modules and space required for a studio are really the only negatives. I do mostly weird experimental stuff that modular seems to excel at compared to traditional synths and I spend all day at work on a computer so the hands on tactile feel of patching cables to make sound is very attractive therapy. Plus I was not able to travel for vacations overseas for 2.5 years so the money I would have spent on vacations was funneled to modular instead. Love it! But now I have a lot of modules and no need to buy anything for a long time until I can master my gear and make tracks I enjoy.

Very poetic and drony. Nicely done! I also like creating weird experimental stuff on my modular.

Groovy dude I dig it!

To celebrate the 4th and cats since modular is all about cool cats making beats, I present a weird funky experimental track!

Now, I know that certain folks here like that NG dude will hate it but don't listen then!

Definitely get a larger case and thank me later. I would go no smaller than 6u. Even better a 9u Doepfer case or perhaps more affordable case would be a Mantis case. Second, you need a lot of support modules! Attenuators, envelope generators, cv mixer, sequential switch, VCAs, so forth.

Recorded some weird ambience today

Two things:

1/ Download and try VCV Rack software
2/ Buy a copy of the book Patch & Tweak

DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT buy anything before doing the above items.

Thank me later :-)

or get an MDLR 14u case and not run out of space for essential utility modules :-)

you are welcome, love the STMix for small cases.

I have the Befaco STMix in one of my smaller cases and love it. Here is some info:
https://www.befaco.org/stmix/

Such a great 4 channel small mixer.

Here are some tips:

1/ get an Intellijel 7u case
2/ Endorphin.es Queen of Pentacles, Black Noire, or VPME Quad Drum for percussion
3/ Quad VCA from Intellijel
4/ Winter Eloquencer sequencer- thank me later
5/ Instruo Divkid 0chd for modulation
6/ Happy Nerding FX Aid for effects
7/ Intellijel Quadrax with expander for creative envelope generator
8/ Intellijel 1u Quadratt for mixer/attenuator/attenuverter

That will get you in the ballpark.

Love my Mordax Data and the developer responds to questions. I want another one for my other case.

I really like my Erica Synths Black Hole DSP v2 as it has stereo and various dry/wet controls and easy to learn. Plus it sounds amazing!

Tesseract mixer with Tukra and Happy Nerding fx aid would be a fun combo for small rig and few utilities like VCA, envelopes, LFO and have killer setup.

Thread: Live jam

Thanks Garfield,

Yeah been busy at work and learning my gear. The module is Hikari Quad Switch and it is fantastic. Different than my Doepfer switch but easy to use and has a few tricks up its sleeve for routing signals in a patch. I like using it with Maze matrix mixer and other tools.

quick sketch of base drum setup

ModularGrid Rack

Just for fun here is what I came up with for a small percussion focused setup with Tesseract Tukra as sequencer/percussion voice and support utilities:

ModularGrid Rack

Cost: About 3k including case/power/modules if buy on sale from retailer with 10% discount and free shipping.

In comparison, the Elektron Rytm MK2 and Jomox Alphabase cost about half that price.

@33PO you are welcome! It is on my wish list as love their modules from demos. Also like Queen of Pentacles and DFAM is fun as well.

Thread: Live jam

Experiment to clock all three modular together

You could save space and money in your rack by getting an all in one drum synth and sequencer like Tukra
https://www.tesseractmodular.com/eurorack-modules/tukra

Gives you 8 drum voices and sequencer in one module not bad price either. Then you only need a quad VCA and few utilities.

Drum machine way cheaper than modular drums but if you want modular drums the key is really a good sequencer like the Winter Modular Eloquencer that is great for sequencing drums. You could get Queen of Pentacles or Quad Drum and have all drums in one module and use a sequencer for that part.

Have to look into the Bear one. I am looking at WMD matrix mixer and other ones for next round. For now my 4ms VCA Matrix and Maze do a great job for my setups.

I agree with Lugia to keep the SV-1b out of a case. I have a Moog DFAM and Make Noise 0-coast and while could technically put them in a case, they would take up way too much precious space.

Here are a few ideas/suggestions for modulation and utilities

Modulation:

1/ Batumi Quad LFO from Xaoc Devices with Poti expander - the gold standard for modulation and fun easy to use
2/Intellijel Quadrax with expander- crazy possibly options for lots of modulation, fun and easy to use
3/ Acid Rain Technology Maestro- six channels of modulation and ability to create your very own LFO chains and save for recall.
Great for live use, fun and wacky modulation potential.
4/ Mutable Instruments Marbles- does so many things and more

I have these and can attest to how fun and powerful they are for creating modulation.

Utilities:

1/WMD/SSF Toolbox- small module with tons of features useful in complex patches
2/Mutable Instruments Kinks and Links: tons of features in small module but sadly Emilie of Mutable Instruments decided to no longer produce any new modules so get them while available.
3/ Doepfer Quad Sequential switch- affordable for modular and works well
4/ Qubit Mixology- a really great four channel eurorack mixer with mutes, pans, sends and looks great and fun to use.

Hope this helps!

A few things:

1. Get a larger case and thank me later. I recommend at least 9u size or even better a 12u case.
  2. More utility modules would help: sequential switch, cv matrix mixer, logic
  3. more modulation sources

Selling smaller cases when you expand is a pain. I know because I have been there.

Yup Jim is 100% correct- for utilities I like WMD SSF Toolbox, Mutable Instruments Kinks and Links combo and Intellijel Quad VCA.

Even so, you really needs a lot of modulation sources to make life interesting. Modulation spices up patches and can help filter sound even better!

For modulation, I like Batumi quad LFO, Quadrax, and Maestro. Those all have lots of modulation features to spice up patches and for me, I burn through modulation like crazy. Take Noise Engineering modules for instance. Noise Engineering modules beg to be modulated with many points for modulation sources. If you have just one, that easily takes up four modulation patch points.

Definitely take those Moogs out of the rack! You can put them together in separate Moog small rack and place next to larger case.

Also you need a lot more utility modules- besides VCAs, attenuator/attenueverters, cv matrix mixer, logic and sequential switch.

I highly recommend a much larger case at least 6u or larger.

I really like time based effects like delay and flanger. Mimeophon and Erica Synths Black Hole DSP are great.

true and WMD percussion modules are quite unique from anything else as well. I can make broken glass and gunshot sounds that do not sound like drums

Agree with Lugia, my cheaper boutique re-issue Roland TR-08 Rhythm Composer cost me $400 sounds great, easy to use, has speaker and battery power option and less expensive than modular drums. I only went modular drums for the unique experimental oddball sounds that I can create differently. Even then, expect to spend 2k easily for case/power, few percussion modules, mixer, VCAs, sequencer and support modules for a very basic Eurorack modular drum setup. Yes, you can get an Intellijel 4u case, add the Endorphin.es Queen of Pentacles or VPME Quad drum, with a good drum sequencer, mixer, vcas and get by on a bit less.

My thoughts:

1. take DFAM out of the rack it wastes way too much precious space
  2. get a larger rack like 9u at the minimum to give room to expand
  3. Add more utilities! Things like VCAs, CV mixer, matrix mixer, logic, envelopes, LFOs for modulation and so forth.
  4. Try free VCV rack software to build test racks for free and learn.
  5. Get the excellent book Patch & Tweak it is great book and reference for modular.

Oh yeah Bionic Lester MK3 is super fun and crazy good. I use it with my Hertz Donut MK3 a lot.

I use cardboard boxes for cable storage yeah its cheesy but dead cheap or mike stands. Otherwise I have to drill holes in my walls to hang cable trays.

So far I am on a no gear 2022 mission to refocus on my setups and having fun.

Get a larger case. You also want more utility modules.