A few months back I had posted that I wanted a "laptop" rack that I could play around with away from my main setup. This is what I finally ended up going with. About half the modules are things I already owned. No doubt, I'll be revolving some of the modules through my main system as I play with it more and develop a better idea of where I want it to go.

ModularGrid Rack

If this is for exploration, have you considered the Moog DFAM? It's a nice start for playing around with percussion, plus since it's semi-modular, you can later add a small rack with things like external modulation.

One module I've had a lot of fun with is the WORNG Vector Space. It acts kind of like a matrix mixer in that it takes three modulation sources and uses them to create a variety of other modulations. It is a big module, though.

you could always take the knobs off... pots are usable without them but it's much more difficult to knock them out of tune that way...

-- JimHowell1970

I actually hadn't thought of that. I might give that a try.

For my "desktop" rack, I didn't want to get a complex oscillator because I wanted the freedom that individual modules gave me as far as features and routing options.
I've recently been putting together a smaller portable rack and decided to get a complex oscillator as a way to save space. I had considered the Instruo Cs-L, but ended up going with the Cosmotronic Vortex. The Cs-L has some nice modulation routing features, but I felt it was easier to see what was going on with the Vortex. I'm happy with it (though I still prefer individual modules). The only thing I don't like about it is that the tuning knobs are big and close to the FM controls (making it easy to knock the tuning out).

I have the Fold6 and really like it. I've also considered getting the Intellijel Bifold.

Regarding connecting a guitar, I have the Befaco INamp that I can plug a guitar into, but it doesn't really have enough gain on its own. I ended up going through a booster pedal and then into the Befaco.

As for external mixers, I got a Tascam Model 12. It can handle eurorack levels, and you can either record onto an on-board SD card or use it as a multitrack audio interface. Not exacly cheap, though.

This unit is running at some pretty high frequencies. How does EMI from this module affect neighboring modules? I'm guessing all those fans means this thing generates a lot of heat. Wouldn't the case you put it in need to be vented? I didn't see a mention of that in the description.
I'm one of the recent converts to using an external device for the final mix. So now I need to see a good reason to put something in a eurorack case that can be done just as well outside. What advantage does this unit have over just getting a laptop, or even an MPC One (which I currently own) that is a DAW with sampler, other instruments, has MIDI and 8 configurable CV outputs but is less than half the price?

The power thing is something you have to be aware of even with Mantis cases. The +12v power supply provides 3A, but split into three zones of 1A each. It's small enough space-wise, though, that it would take some really beefy modules to hit the max on any one zone.

I was looking at info about the Tallin and I see the modulae description says current draw is 20mA on both the 12V and -12V rails. The descriptions has the "approved by manufacturer" note, but the information on the Xaoc site says the draw on both rails is 50mA. Any know why there is a discrepancy?

I started being more cognizant of function overlap. No need to get a module, no matter how pretty it is, if all it does is perform the same function as a module I already own.

to a large extent this is true, especially of big shiny expensive modules... but functional overlap in utilities is handy... multiple vcas, mults, mixers, logic, clock dividers etc are extremely useful! especially once you've grown beyond a few voices... and are starting to look at multiple layers of control... not just controlling the shape, panning and sound of notes, but also controlling sections of 'songs' - bring in this voice for this section, add this effect for a bar every 4 bars...

-- JimHowell1970

I never really thought about it until you mentioned that, but I guess I view those utilities differently from other modules. I put them in the same class as patch cables. Yeah, the wires all do the same thing, but you need more of them as your system gets bigger to connect all the new pieces.

In the beginning we're understandably a bit voracious, but the more we add on the table, the more discriminating gourmet we become.

-- Sweelinck

Never more true words, I am definitley becoming a discriminating gourmet, I even feel like my module-buying is slowly coming to an end.... Shocking I know

-- wishbonebrewery

When I first got into this, I wanted every module out there. As my collection grew, I started being more cognizant of function overlap. No need to get a module, no matter how pretty it is, if all it does is perform the same function as a module I already own.

The big change for me came when experimenting with patches and I learned what I see as one of the most important rules in eurorack, "Turn the knobs slowly, real slowly." I had a tendency when playing to make these big moves, testing the extremes. It's when you make small control changes that you really learn the module and find all kinds of sweet spots (waves going into phase, amplitudes mixing at just the right level, etc.).

After that I was finding features in modules that I didn't know were there. Now every time I see a new module, I think of all the little extra features my exisiting modules have and I consider if I can already do, with one or more currently-owned modules, what the new module does.

Regarding mixers, I finally gave in trying to find something I'd be happy with in-rack and ended up buying an external mixer, the Tascam Model 12. It's a digital mixer (6 mono / 2 stereo channels) that handles eurorack levels well. With it I can also record on an SD card on the unit or use it as a multi-track audio interface to record to computer.
-- PragmaticusMax

Good to now! I´m also interested in the tascam Mixers... Do you know if this is true for the bigger models as well? The Model 12 is the only digital one, right?

-- ak47exe

The 16 and 24 are both analog. I have no experience with those so can't definitively say they handle eurorack like the 12. I went with the Model 12 because it was the right size for me (I know, famous last words), and since the controls are digital, it can be used as a DAW controller (haven't tried this feature yet, though).

Regarding mixers, I finally gave in trying to find something I'd be happy with in-rack and ended up buying an external mixer, the Tascam Model 12. It's a digital mixer (6 mono / 2 stereo channels) that handles eurorack levels well. With it I can also record on an SD card on the unit or use it as a multi-track audio interface to record to computer.

I currently have the Magneto and Z5000 and really like them both. I also have the Doepfer A-188-2 BBD which is a nice multi-tap delay but doesn't have in internal LPF to attenuate clock noise (it's also uses quite a bit of real estate). I'm planning on getting a Noise Engineering Electus Versio (for delay and reverb). NE has several firmwares that do delays for the Versio hardware. I figure if I don't like Electus, NE lets you reprogram it with one of the others.

Do you have a clock divider? I will sometimes put my VCO through a 4ms QCD and then mix the two. It does thicken the sound. A module I've debated getting is the Erica Black Double Bass. You still need a VCO to feed it, but it supposedly handles the frequency division, mixing, and filtering all in one module. I don't have any hands-on experience with it though, so I can't really say how well it works.

I've replace the original rack with a new setup. I tried to make it less cramped.

I replaced several modules starting with the oscillator and replaced it with an Instruo Cs-L. In my main rack I stayed away from complex oscillators since I wanted the functions as discrete modules so that I had more control, but in this case it's nice to have a lot of tools in a somewhat more compact space.

I still have 6hp to fill, but can't decide what to put there. If I go with this setup, I may just leave that blank until I have a better idea of what I need after I've played with it for a while.

A fan of Joranalogue, I see. I have their Generate 3, which I'm still learning how to use, in my main rack and have considered getting the Filter 8.

Thanks for the suggestions! The problem with using a larger case for a while then trying to come up with something small, is that you want all of the tools you're used to using but you need to make them fit

I had the two filters just to give me the option of having a choice of filter. I can, though, pull out those two filters and replace it with the Morpheus from my main rack (which would give me plenty of filter options) and that would save me 4hp. I suppose the BIA doesn't really need a filter.

The uO_C is there to provide extra envelopes for modulation. I also have it there as a general toolbox. I do have a Batumi in my main case but I also have the expander module with is 3hp (I'd need to add another odd hp module if I don't want to be left with a 1hp hole taunting me).

I totally agree with getting rid of the Flexshaper. Actually, if I remove that along with the Twin Wave and the Bifold (and combining the space I save with using the Morpheus) I can use that space for a complex oscillator like the Instruo Cs-L or the Cosmotronic Vortex.

As for the amount of modulation, I wanted as much as I could get in there, especially for the NE modules which really do thrive on it.

Well, something to think about.

(Edit: Updated rack setup)

A couple of days ago I posted a proposed 4u 104HP Intellijel rack setup that I'd hoped to use as something portable to experiment with. After considering the advice, I realized that to get something truly useful I would, at least, need to have an external sequencer (which goes against the requirement that it be self-contained).

So now I'm back with another proposed case, specifically the Mantis. With the extra room, I can bring over the Usta sequencer from my desktop rack. I also decided to include some other modules from my main rack.

Along with Usta, the other modules I already own are: PNW, Zadar, Time Warp, Kamieniec, Pro Output, and Wasp.

I've also reduced it to essentially two voices: rhythmic and melodic.

Any comments, advice, or suggestions on the new rack design would be appreciated.

ModularGrid Rack

Thank all for the suggestions. I've been using a larger setup for the past couple of years, so trying to squeeze into a smaller space is pretty foreign to me.

It seems like any kind of decent sequencing is going to need a good chunk of real estate. Like I mentioned in my first post, I have considered getting a keystep pro to handle those duties (though that would make it a little harder to use the rack as a laptop). I forgot about O_C (for a bigger rack I prefer discrete modules, but when pressed for space it's a good compromise).

I'm also now thinking about just going with the mantis case. That way I wouldn't need an external sequencer. In my "desktop" rack I have a nerdseq (for when I want to sequence a composition) and an usta (for experimenting). If I go with the mantis, I can move the usta to it and still have a respectable amount of room for other modules. The only trick with mantis is the power zones and remembering that the -12V rail provides less current than the +12.

I think I need to do an exercise with my main rack where I only let myself use a small subset of modules and see where I come up short.

Well, I have some thinking to do. Thanks, again!

I've been putting a rack (actually, multiple small racks) together for a couple of years now with the intention of having a respectably-sized setup for when I finally retire many years from now. The problem with what I currently have is that I can't just toss it in the car and take to a friend's place or bring it to work to fiddle with during my lunch hour (and maybe when in a boring tele-meeting with the mute on). So, I was thinking of coming up with a small case that is portable that I can just play around with.

I'd like to keep it as self-contained as possible (other than speakers). I'm figuring I'll start with an Intellijel 4U 104HP palette. For sequencing, I was thinking steppy and a mimetic (and though it's counter to my self-contained rule, I do keep going back and forth considering a keystep pro).

I wanted three voices: some form of percussion, a bassline, and a melody voice. After that, I'd like a nice little collection of modules for sound shaping and modulation.

The rack I linked is a first draft of what I was thinking of putting together. I'm not really set on any of the modules, and since I'd only be getting one or two modules each month, it will probably change as I go.

I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions. Am I missing anything? Anything you consider a waste of space? Is anything overlapping functionally?

ModularGrid Rack

I had seriously considered the Vector, but ended up going with the Frap Tools Usta. It fit my experimentation style. I also have an external box, the Akai MPC One which has midi and 8 CV outs, for when I want to do straight melodic stuff via a piano roll interface. I'll expand from there, eventually, once I've decided what direction I want to go.

Modular is certainly an expensive adventure. Sometimes the economical route is the only choice, and I wouldn't hold it against someone if they choose that route. But one thing to keep in mind, if everyone gives their money to the cloners instead of the innovators, we are eventually going to run out of innovators.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I've been paying attention to the forum. It's where I learned about Links and Kinks. Also, a while back I treated myself to a nice analog keyboard synth. On it I can modulate just about everything but the color of the case. From that I learned to favor devices that change the sound over the sound makers themselves.

The case I currently have os the Doepfer LC6. The next will be an LC9. Would love the monster, but it's a lot of empty space that I will feel compelled to fill, and with probably a lot of fancy modules I don't really need or want. You know, I just wanted to dip my toe into eurorack. I already feel like I've fallen into the pool and am at risk of drowning. So many modules.

I do have some aspirations for what comes after the LC6. I want to get a couple of other oscs/voices. Right now my eye is on the Erica Wavetable VCO and the IME Hertz Donut. As far as wave shapers, I've been considering the Joranalogue. Hadn't considered the Bifold. Also hadn't considered some of the other suggestions like the SISM. I'll take a look those. I was also thinking of eventually getting the Doepfer matrix mixer.

I'd like to add sequencing for the rhythmic stuff and keep the MIDI for playing melodies. I like the Erica Black, but the USTA looks interesting too.

The one thing I'm having a hard time with is what filters to add. I definitely want something beyond the standard LPF. I'll have to take a closer look at the Linnaeus. I really like the entire Rossum module lineup. Well, I have some time yet before I need to decide.

Anyway, thanks again.

Recently got into eurorack. Looking for some feedback regarding what I have and what I plan to get. I'm totally expecting to expand to another case (wishing I started with the 9U). This case is primarily meant as a sound maker. Sequencing duties will be handled by outside sources.

I currently own a Moog M32, as well as the following modules:
bOSC, Chord, Batumi, Doepfer A-130-2/A-140-2/A-190-4, MSCALE, Viol Ruina, Erica VCF3, and the 2hp Trim.

Primary music interests are Industrial (somewhere between Techno and Trance). Any advice would be appreciated.

ModularGrid Rack