If you can't beat em (build your own 303 with modules), join em (buy an M303 instead). Giving the M303 a workout here, quite nice, though I wouldn't mind some more modulation points.

https://stevehand.bandcamp.com/track/tuesday-acid

Hope you all enjoy 🕺

Thanks troux! Very kind of you!

Inscrumental music for prickly pears.

Thanks, pleased that you like it!

Wow! Sounds great.

systasis001 - Limited Cassette Edition - tracks recorded live on a small modular system. Each packaged with original artwork. I hope that you enjoy!

https://www.systasis.co.uk/product/systasis-001-limited-cassette-edition

Thank you! I have always loved long-form music which started when I first heard Yes and Rush back in the 70s... I'm working on a long ambient piece at the moment. I'm hoping to wrap it up shortly. Cheers.

I am not an expert, but just for interests sake, this is the current situation as I understand it:

The Good Friday Agreement stipulates there will never be a hard border between NI and ROI.

BREXIT requires a hard border between the UK and the EU.

ROI is part of the EU.

NI is part of the UK.

yes really...

yes, really... really...

There is probably a multitude of business opportunities for some enterprising and very brave soul exporting and importing between these countries.

I couldn't deal with the inevitable stress, or the potential jail time, but that's a 20% additional markup on anything you care to take the trouble to drive over the border as far as I can make out...

I would be shocked if there isn't an incredible amount of technically illegal activity going on!

Hi Julia,

I must have overlooked this post, some great tracks you got there, wow! :-) I like the especially first one and that lengthy frozen-reverb at the end, fantastic :-D Nice long tracks, I wouldn't mind if they were even longer.

The usage of amazing and interesting sounds, is superb. Are you planning any concert tour through Europe after Covid? If yes, I hope you don't forget to stop by in Germany ;-)

Thanks a lot for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield Modular.
-- GarfieldModular

Thank you for the kind words Mr. Garfield :) I have a local booking for upcoming November so far, but let's see how it goes. Of course Germany needs a separate tour!

Thanks, I do try!

the thing is you often need more than you think - especially when you start to use them for modulation!

so maybe buy something cheaper or used - an older model veils - which is what I use - for example - or the tallin or doepfer

links kinks and shades ! if you have no other way of creating offset - or even if you do - it's really useful to have it as a separate module - I have maths but never use it as a mixer and rarely as an offset!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hi Jim, that may be the best advice I’ve read thus far. At the moment scanning/searching for VCA’s...Although I would prefer an Intelllijel Quad VCA or Veils 2020, none of them seem to be available right now. I have seen a XAOC Tallin nearby that has exponential and linear but also seems to color the sound and is dual. In doubt....do I wait or should the Tallin do it’s job for the time being to be partnered later on with an Intellijel Quad VCA or Veils. With regards to some utility stuff I was also thinking of MI Kinks and Links...

Lovely @mowse

Hi Mowse,

Oh wow! This is very interesting and a very nice complex sounding jam. Lots of stuff to discover here for the listener.

It's getting late here and I was getting sleepy but you made me fully awake again :-) Well done and thank you very much for sharing this. Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi TumeniKnobs,

Oh wow, that's a lovely and beautiful track and nice loooonggg! :-)

Well, keep the good stuff coming, I can't wait for it! Thank you very much and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Julia,

I must have overlooked this post, some great tracks you got there, wow! :-) I like the especially first one and that lengthy frozen-reverb at the end, fantastic :-D Nice long tracks, I wouldn't mind if they were even longer.

The usage of amazing and interesting sounds, is superb. Are you planning any concert tour through Europe after Covid? If yes, I hope you don't forget to stop by in Germany ;-)

Thanks a lot for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

My top thread is probably "Today my small discovery was..." over on MuffWiggler (https://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=162755&start=1175) with so so many good ideas, but I also love any thread where folks ask for advice on a build as I really enjoy the instrument-design part of Eurorack, and they're also an easy way to learn about new modules.

Cool!

Here's Beads processing my Plumbutter, with Monsoon very lightly processing samples from Coco.

-- baltergeist

Superb @baltergeist!

The Visage Album was the first Record I bought in my Life. I still love Fade to Grey like the first
Time I listened to it. I love those Chord Changes, the Harmonies.

-- Quantum_Eraser

I actually picked up a really nice OG vinyl copy of Visage a year or so ago. My first album was Purple Rain purchased with birthday money in 1984.

Yeah, I love bananas! The bass tones and dial clicks are coming from a couple of Lorre-Mill Double Knots. The Coco is playing two different versions of the same Tetrax loop, and the Plumbutter is providing percussion and kind of cracked melody in the background, with Beads making it whispery.

My favorite threads are the ones where modular users are sharing their creations. I hate when I see people sucking the joy out of the creative and learning processes. And yes, there is a lot to learn just by listening to others’ music while looking at their racks, some massive and some tiny.
There are an infinite number of ways to do this. We all have different budgets, ideas about what sounds and modules are cool, how serious of a hobby this is, beginner modules, rack size (seriously though, get a bigger rack than you think you need if you plan to take this seriously), etc.
To some this is serious business, to others it’s an escape, to others it’s a tool of expression, and to others it’s a toy. We’re not curing cancer here, so I recommend having fun above all. Try to figure out your workflow and desired sound reasonably quickly, do enough research that you pick the right modules for YOU, and don’t make a lot of expensive mistakes. Then share your creations with others so we can all learn from your successes and mistakes.
Have fun and good luck!

Cool!

Here's Beads processing my Plumbutter, with Monsoon very lightly processing samples from Coco.

-- baltergeist

Oh I like the Ciat Lonbarde Stuff. Some Day I will buy a Coco

Thank you, and no. That's me playing my Mother-32 through a few different effects - old EHX Small Clone, MidFi Electronics Scrape Flutter and Random Phase & Vibrato, CCP Bug Caster (a tube OD), Fairfield Circuitry Shallow Water, and the reverb side of the EQD Avalanche Run.

Just a Happy Accident. I sampled a short Piano Loop of Fade to Grey in Beads Buffer. Additional Reverb from DV.

-- Quantum_Eraser

Nice! Love the original, and your take on it is great.
Thanks for sharing.
-- farkas

Thank you! :-)

The Visage Album was the first Record I bought in my Life. I still love Fade to Grey like the first
Time I listened to it. I love those Chord Changes, the Harmonies.

Cool!

-- baltergeist

@baltergeist is the Plumbutter doing the “flute” sound? That’s awesome.

Just a Happy Accident. I sampled a short Piano Loop of Fade to Grey in Beads Buffer. Additional Reverb from DV.

-- Quantum_Eraser

Nice! Love the original, and your take on it is great.
Thanks for sharing.

Cool!

Hi Julia, do you power your whole rack with 2 shuttle controls?
According to the specs sheet, the power consumption on your rack is more then double the "1.000 mA +12V, 700 mA -12V, 1.000 mA +5V" (PSU supplied by 1 shuttle control)...
-- dmnk

Hi!
I see it is almost on the limit, but it works. also it powers the BSP by USB.
I use GST90A12-P1M Meanwell 6.67A DC adapter which gives strong +12V part.

Great dealing with @raimbo. Item packaged very carefully, was provided with clear tracking info and sale was fast and easy.

I see a lot of these "beauty case" (using Dieter's term there) builds. They invariably fall into two camps:

I've been using it too - maybe i got it from Dieter too, but I think I just started spontaneously using it

(I'm also really liking "rack wart" for power modules - especially the arturia one)

Please don't encourage this trend.

-- Lugia

hear, hear!!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Hi Julia, do you power your whole rack with 2 shuttle controls?
According to the specs sheet, the power consumption on your rack is more then double the "1.000 mA +12V, 700 mA -12V, 1.000 mA +5V" (PSU supplied by 1 shuttle control)...

Hey, thanks. Glad you both enjoyed it. I'm checking out Anna Strom's work today while I have some quiet time with just me and the headphones.

Great transaction and communication with @ner0!

I think I bought it after you mentioned it somewhere @farkas, I'd kinda like an Optomix too but a little hard to find.

this defo seems interesting,on my to check out list.

Just ordered 2 of the 2xLPG ver 2 ,really good prices

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

I love PNW for clocked LFOs and Envelopes - especially the skew - magical!

Thanks Garfield, Farkas. I think I'm starting to wrap my head around this thing. I can't wait to get more comfortable with what modular can do and expand. I was lamenting the lack of availability of many modules that look amazing, but it's probably good to stagger new pieces to have a chance to learn what I have, and go easier on the wallet.

Garfield - after spending so much time in the past meticulously programming drums, I started using the EZDrummer VST. It has so many great complex patterns to work with and customize and it sounds great IMO. Since this track was more of a process experiment I didn't spent a lot of time on the drums, just something to add a solid beat.

The Evolvers track on my SoundCloud has many more fills and other drum bits - especially in the Subsequent 37 solo section starting at around the 5 minute mark.

Cheers

I'm going to be a bit of an ass here - and extend it to what are your favourite threads about modular synthesis

my favourite thread is - "i was wrong (still am)" on muffs, especially the first post!

reading it should be a requirement for buying a first case/modules

synopsis - I read the advice of experienced modular synthesists, I ignored the advice, I now realise I was wrong (and still am)

I like threads where people ask for advice and actually take it - decide which modules you want, decide which you need to support them, now pick case dependent on requirements - leaving space for expansion etc etc

I dislike newbie threads where they have already bought a beauty case and want to cram too much in

I dislike threads where newbies complain about the price of modules and cases, as if they are fast moving consumer goods - they aren't - they are niche products - if you want cheaper go for less expensive brands (Doepfer, ladik etc etc) and not trendy expensive ones! - and build your cases (not that it saves that much)

Thread: Beep Boop

cool - have fun - start saving for the next case!

Thread: Beep Boop

My first Eurorack ever!
I've got a Moog 104hp case to fit my modules. I went for something simple with a good amount of variety. Perfect for experimentation and external sequencing with a computer.

Some more DAW-less rambling on the tiny Skiff + PO-33.

Patchnotes:
Muxlicer to OSCA of Paradox and to OSCB with added slew via Rampage
Rampage as envelope generator of the Paradox
Muxlicer "Slice" triggers to Disting with dual Samples form some Iglooghoost samples I had lying around a harddrive.
Main out to my Delay pedal and mixed back in for feedback loops.
Sync with PO-33 over clockdivided Muxlicer Clockout

1. )
    I really like Lugias "Why to NOT get into modular synthesis", there where some super great perspectives there, not only from the original author but from others sharing their experience and view on the world of "getting into modular"
    https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/3579

2. )
    "how do you practice?"
    https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/9275

3. )
    "20U Current - Ivo Ivanov (Glitchmachines)" - Super cool artist showing how to go to work on a big modular setup.
    https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/9063

4. )
    "98HP Jumpskiff DIY (befaco, 2hp, zlob, MI, ZZZ)" - shameless self-promotion: I tried to document my steps into modular here with lots of positive feedback from the community and videos documenting the growing rack and soundscape.
    https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/9200

Just got myself a Nearness and 2x LPG (why did no one tell me about LPGs before??) and they're pretty sweet. Takaab is impressing for sure.
-- troux

Ha! Yeah, I use the 2xLPG and Optomix in just about every patch. I don't really NEED more LPGs, but I sure do want a lot more. I would recommend the Takaab to anyone starting out. I've also been eyeing the FSS P.O.C.A. for after I upgrade to a bigger case in a few months.

Hi,
Have a look to this one:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/paratek-%D0%9A%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%BC%D0%B8%D1%87%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B9-%D1%88%D1%83%D0%BC-black-diy

A dual Jupiter storm.
Beast tek dirty glitch vco is greeeeat.
As said Farkas X1L3 shard is really good.
NLC Brain Custard gives good result.

Hi folks,

I'm new to modular in 2021, but a longtime musician, and familiar with many soft synths.

I've been using Modular Grid and am really liking the rack / module info and the discussion!

In the interest of surfacing and gathering a lot of the best ideas & discussions here, I wanted to ask folks on the forum:

1) what are (up to 5) of your top discussion threads and/or posts on Modular Grid? (Feel free to note your own or other's posts)
2) what is the short description of why you think these threads are great (important, informative, interesting, etc.)?

I'm looking forward to reading some interesting responses. Thanks all!

Nicholas

Expanding upon last night's patch with Vector Space, switched VCO's to two Mother 32's and DPO. This version is completely automated by Rene v2 and Vector Space. Soundstage, MSCL, and SCLPL provide stereo space, compression, and EQ before heading to the Zoom H2N.

ModularGrid Rack

Dear community,
I started with Erica's Techno System in mind. Revisited from today's available standpoint of choice of modules see my build below...
Basic idea is to create a simple groove box with some sound variety on it.

Thank You for your help.
Peace

Yuppers...their prices are also pretty killer, too. Nice utility stuff for not a helluva lot.

Just got myself a Nearness and 2x LPG (why did no one tell me about LPGs before??) and they're pretty sweet. Takaab is impressing for sure.

Heck yeah 🤘🤘 we could use more noise around these parts... and actually I've been thinking about building a noise rack myself 🤔🤔 Hope we hear more from you!

Another useful noise-style maker: Moffenzeef. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modules/browser?SearchName=&SearchVendor=348&SearchFunction=&SearchSecondaryfunction=&SearchHeight=&SearchTe=&SearchTemethod=max&SearchBuildtype=&SearchLifecycle=&SearchSet=all&SearchMarketplace=&SearchIsmodeled=0&SearchShowothers=0&order=newest&direction=asc Much of their stuff is percussion-type modules, but there's a few "wild cards" in there that buck that trend, plus their "abuse potential" overall is pretty high.