I finally got my first modular system a few months ago after spending years playing with software synths on Ableton and VCV rack. I started with the Pittsburgh lifeforms and a 2x84 case and I've added several modules in the meantime. But as I've filled up my case I've made a few missteps (the SCM and 160-2 together do not have the functionality I want from a clock generator and I stupidly bought a Doepfer ADSR that's too deep for my current case) and I want to be very intentional going forward about my gear acquisitions and generally avoid buying stuff that I'll have to sell later.

I like dense, textured techno (Blawan, Shed, Kangding Ray, etc.) but I'm especially inspired by how artists like Barker, Caterina Barbieri and Lorenzo Senni use little-to-no percussion in their compositions, and that's the direction that I want to take my own music. I might eventually complement this system with a DFAM for minimal percussive lines and/or a full-featured drum machine if I decide to go back to 4/4 techno, but I'm not super concerned about that right now.

I don't really anticipate playing live, but I'd like to be able to work on tracks at home with as little overdubbing as possible. Ideally, I'd be able to compose something that is relatively complete without opening my computer and then record it into Ableton to arrange and add final touches. That being said, delay and reverb are crucial to my sound and I think I'll have to rely on VSTs for those until I get a bigger case. I use a beatstep pro as a controller, but I might switch to/add a qunexus for better arpeggios.

Finally, I find software to be frustrating, which is why I made the jump to modular. I can deal with digital controllers like the beatstep and qunexus, but I would strongly prefer to avoid any module with screens/menus/memory/etc.

This is my current case:
ModularGrid Rack

This is my plan to fill up my current case:
ModularGrid Rack

I realized that the QCD does everything I want in a clock (should have got it the first time...) so I'm trying to sell my current clock generators/modulators. Otherwise, this is just filling in the empty space in the case.

This is my ideal setup for my current case:
ModularGrid Rack

I really like the Pittsburgh Lifeforms, but there are several parameters that I wish were CV-controllable and its hard to really dial in a sound without relying a ton on external offset and attenuation. I think this setup keeps everything I like from the lifeforms, strips away the parts I don't use, and adds a really wide sonic palette.

This is my dream case:
ModularGrid Rack

I'm not totally set on any of the additional modules here, but when I get a bigger case I think I generally want to add a complex oscillator, a sequencer, reverb and delay, a looper, and the utilities to tie them all together. I will probably get this case custom made and could, theoretically, get an even larger one, but that starts to feel hard to transport. I kind of wish there was space for a Mordax, but I plan to get a Korg NTS-2, so the Mordax seems extraneous. I'm also not totally satisfied with the outputs; I think it would be really useful to have multiple line outs for multitrack recording, but I'm not sure the best way to do that.

Any and all advice and comments would be appreciated! Thanks much!

Thread: Using Reset

yeah just a gate at the start of a sequence should do the job..

as for sending the reset signal to multiple modules, a passive mult (or stackcables, or headphone splitters) should work perfectly, it's a bit of a waste using the buffered mult from links - better for pitch (and potentially if you are re-patching triggers on the fly)

I generally only reset at the start of a track, especially when layering multitrack recording - so manually stop/arm things - black sequencer, BSP, sinfonion and logic (pams is set up to reset by logic not sending a clock for a while and then receiving one)

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

No Problem

I think you'd be much happier with a bigger case and bigger modules - plus it'll give you some space to expand into, which is always incredibly useful

small cramped modules with trimmers instead of bigger modules with (mostly) regular sized knobs are fine for set and forget but a real pain for wiggling - especially as what you already have is predominantly normal knobs!!!

I'd grab a tiptop mantis and look for bigger modules if I were you...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Thanks for the advice man

Totally get that she’s cramped
I was planning on using the extra modules to manipulate patches on the b2600/grandma
And I wanted to replicate the good things that an ms20/k-2 does have

I do have an ssl six as well as several preamps that can handle synths

Thread: Using Reset

I recently acquired a Moog DFAM/M32/SubH three tier setup. In the past I have just clocked everything in my modular setup with PAMs via BeatStepPro (BSP is USB connected to sync with Ableton Live so I can either clock with Live or if I don't want to use Live just use BSP to clock everything). To date I haven't really used "reset" inputs on anything and with the acquisition of the Moog components I'm thinking its about time to learn :)

I also have Varigate 4+ and Bloom in my modular setup and would also like to reset those when needed.

What is used to send a 'reset' signal...is it just a gate on step one from a primary sequencer?
How do you send a reset to multiple devices? I have Links...just send signal to Links 1 in 3 out section?

Very interested in hearing how others use 'reset' and what is driving your use of 'reset'

JB

to me it looks very cramped and I think you are trying to do too much in too small a space...

an external mixer that can handle different levels would be a good idea... I have a Yamaha MG series mixer I bought 15 years ago or so - inexpensive and handles eurorack level and line level easily

Thread: 84HP Rack

I'd start with a bigger case - there is no room here to expand into - & you will almost definitely need that - get a tiptop mantis - best bang for buck (hp/cost/decent power/manufacturer reputation) and save yourself some cash in the long run - buying 2 small cases is a lot more expensive than a single mantis!

I'd also seriously consider a pachinko (mutable marbles clone) over the Turing Machine - it's similar to having 3 turing machines in a single module + random + 3 gates - which are all very handy + it has an internal clock - which iirc tm doesn't - so stops you using up one of the EoR/EoC trigger outs from maths as a clock

I'd generally agree with dubstepjoris about mutable instruments modules - when you could still buy them easily - buy the real thing (so Emilie gets paid), but now that they are almost impossible to buy new then clones are almost all that's available - there may be a few Plaits in the wild - so buy one if you can - same for veils over the uVCA - you will almost definitely need more than 2 vcas!!!

There are also manufacturers that make full size Mutable clones - personally I would go for these - as the ergonomics of mutable instruments modules are near perfect

Good rack to start with I think. Are you planning to create specific types of music with this or mostly experiment? Does it fill a specific need soundwise that you are missing right now? (this is not to judge, do what you want, but purely to see what you want to achieve with this rack).

I have a feeling that some of these modules are selected because people refer to them as good starting points. This is definitely true, plaits is very versatile as well as maths. But considering your current rack size (again, depending if your're planning to expand it in the future) the modules are quite big. This enhances the comfort (especially when playing live) but can be a limiting factor in 84HP. These are just my thoughts, it's up to you to decide if you prefer comfort/playability/hands-on controls or you want more versatility.

• Plaits seems to be a great choice because it offers a lot of different sounds. Mutable Instruments have made their modules open-source, meaning there a quite a few modules out there that behave like Plaits but have different (and often smaller) layout. There's quite some discussion on these forums if it's morally okay to buy clone modules vs. the original Mutable Instrument ones, I don't say one is better than the other BUT given that they are less HP, it might be worth to consider. Obviously less HP means smaller/cramped knobs, especially a smaller "Frequency" knob makes it harder to tune the module.

• The Behringer filter has two independent filters and can be used as a stereo 3 channel mixer. This might be needed for what you want to accomplish, but given that you only have one main sound source I find 16HP for a mixer/dual filter quite a lot. Ask yourself if you need two separate filters AND two separate mixers? Maybe a stereo filter (which you can also use to filter two separate sound sources with the same filter) is smaller and better suited. Although the Behringer filter is nicely priced of course.

• Music Thing Modular's Turing Machine is an amazing module, but if you want to randomly generate melodies with this, you probably want a quantizer (which "forces" the TM's voltage output to a musical scale, such as C minor). However you could also go for a micro Ornament & Crime, which are made by several manufacturers. Most of them come loaded with an alternate firmware called "Hemispheres", which has all kinds to CV utility modules build into it, of which you can load two separate on each half of the module. For example, you can have to ADSR envelopes on one half and a quantizer on the other half, or a slew limiter on one half and two LFO's on the other. It also has asort of Turing Machine built in, but with less hands-on controls.

• I'm not familiar with the Noise Engineering Desmodus Versio, but it seems like a fully featured reverb module with a user-flashable DSP Platform. If you want to modulate your reverb to do all sorts of crazy stuff, this is definitely the module for you. If you want a reverb as something to make the overall sound more pleasant, this again is quite a big module for just that. Maybe you can look into the Disting MK4 or Disting EX, which have a lot of different functionalities including reverb, delay, but also filter, VCA, envelope etc. (sort of like the micro Ornament & Crime but with a less informative screen and more suited for audio processing). Also you can get a Mutable Instruments Clouds clone which has a custom firmware called "parasites", this also includes a reverb, delay, granular, and pitch shifter.

After typing this all out, it seems that I can summarize this into: you have a great start rack with lots of comfortable, hands-on control. There are quite a few modules that have more features in less HP, but this comes with the cost of smaller knobs and less hands-on control, aka less knobs that only do one thing or more menu-scrolling. Consider what is best suited for your needs. Also, if you want to use the Turing Machine to generate random melodies, consider a one-channel quantizer.

Cheers!

La modulación de plato2 la recive de la salida pitch de dfam

SQ1
va dentro de la caja
triger y cv para plonk y dfam

RADIO - O TAMBIEN EL GRANDPA
recive su trig de picotrig (1 trig, cada 2 compases)
El cv viene de maleko: se moviendo el start, con el cv. Cargas archivos largos de una conversación, p.ej. así cada vez que buscas 2 o 3 starts siempre serán diferentes.
Para bajarle volumen, hay que hacerlo manualmente en el mixer doepfer

BOMBO y HAT
sacan su audio al 2HP MIXER,
aquí se acaba de mitigar el plato.
De aquí van para pico dsp y de ahí para afuera

hat:
tienes 2 trig posibles:
-malekko que va a semicorcheas
-picotrig que va a corcheas
en live, puedo switch de uno a otro, cuando cambio de cancion

Pico trig:
Va la mitad de lento (debido a que sq-1 envía la mitad)
Da sus trigers para bombo,plato,caja,radio

MIXER DOEPFER
aquí estan: plonk, dfam, caja, radio

MALEKKO
2 LFOs lento para DFAM, plonk (quizas algun lfo rápido 7x4 en algun preset)
1 cv para radio (con 2, 3 o 4 steps) que se mueve muy lento
1 cv: que sirve de trig a semicorcheas para hat

ENCIMA DE SQ1:
podría haber algo con 6hp (4+2 hp) o algo con 5hp (3+2hp)

ATENUADORES
van debajo (dentro) de la caja

SI el alimentador, está muy cerca de sq1, se le puede poner una tablita o algo, para que no se junten y se recaliente...
A ver si con el case, se puede separar un milímetro de sq1...

DFAM:
recibe su trig de sq1
manda un lfo rápido a hat, (la salida pitch) que cambia el decay de hat

ALIMENTACION:
el alimentador de eowave

Case:
quizás pongo la SH en la case grande de 60hpx2

CIRCUIT:
-tiene los percs, incluido bombo, saca una de sus lineas (Izq, p.ej) por el pedal griego para ganar más punch en el bombo
-controlo SH

DX: manda midi notes a circuit

VOZ:
va a pico input--> fx aid --> pico mix

VOLCA DRUM (aunque en la foto salga otra volca)
(la tengo con un solo layer, para poder editar mejor en directo)
--> pico mix

PICO MIX
entran dx, SH, y voz
pico mix--> pico input --> filtro

quizas saco todo esto, lo meto por circuit y le pongo reverb (una salida de circuit que no vaya al pedal griego)
o quizas saco todo esto por 2hp reverb...

NP!

Gotcha! Nice work around and a rack with everything could be good for purposes in other way.

Thanks Jim

try this workaround

create a large rack that holds everything

when looking at that rack and you filter modules on "my collection" the number of copies of each module in that rack will be displayed

Hi, I'd like to add multiple instance of the same module to my collection. For example, 2 x Intellijel mixup. I could add it twice to a rack, but I'd like to have my MG unicorn collection mirror my actual collection of modules (eurorack) so that I don't forget stuff.

My first post on this forum and I want to say that MG is an awesome tool. Thanks

Current setup was based on a desire to get back into synthesis slowly
So I went semi-modular.
Please don’t flame, had to start somewhere.

I have a keystep pro controlling a moog grandmother, b-2600 and a k-2.
There is a pedal chain and a lexicon pcm-80 for efx and several studio preamps for colour.

This rack is meant to play with the grandmother and the B-2600 and replace the K-2.
The k-2 takes up 3ru in my rack and I’m going to keep the eurorack that way… for now.
I’m happy to keep this synth mono.

I do wonder about the levels between the b-2600 and the eurorack tho the grandmother has a eurorack out.

Thread: Bug Report

It seems like you forgot to unescape somewhere ;)

Modular grid — eeeeescaping

Odd how a recent thread by 33PO has the same rack, or is this the same person asking but using a different name? Or is it the forum bugging out, which it seems to do from time to time...

It sounds great. Much cleaner than I expected. The knobs are too close together though. I need to figure out a better spot for it in my rack because it can be a little tricky to wiggle if it is next to other modules with lots of knobs.
I’m very happy with it. Love the sound. Glad I got this instead of a Small Stone. Ergonomics are not perfect.
The Kamieniec might have better features, but I don’t know that it would be worth the extra money for me.
-- farkas

Thanks for your detailed feedback. I'm going to check out WMD Orion before I decide on the Polychrome

I would consider adding a way to attenuate, offset, invert - for more control over those Ochd LFOs (there was an Ochd in the rack, seems to have disappeared). Sure, you can use the Maths but then they’re all used up.

Acid Rain Junction is pretty compact, or a Doepfer A133-2, or a Befaco A+B*C.

Assuming you’re into ambient/Krell type stuff since there’s no trad sequencer here?

It sounds great. Much cleaner than I expected. The knobs are too close together though. I need to figure out a better spot for it in my rack because it can be a little tricky to wiggle if it is next to other modules with lots of knobs.
I’m very happy with it. Love the sound. Glad I got this instead of a Small Stone. Ergonomics are not perfect.
The Kamieniec might have better features, but I don’t know that it would be worth the extra money for me.

Oh nice, that sounds like a lot of fun! You could even use midi fx upon loopback if you’d like to make things more complicated ^^
Thanks for the inspiration!

this looks like a nice little system as long as you have some way to send CV and Gates to it.

Keystep would be a great addition if you don't have something already

This was an insta-buy for me first thing this morning. I've been mulling over Kamieniec, K-Phaser, or a Small Stone pedal for the last few weeks. G Man knew exactly what I needed. Should be here on Thursday, so I'll report back with my thoughts.
-- farkas

I've been looking at this phaser, what's your feedback :) ?

I'm not looking for anything too big, but just enough to make something that I think would sound good. Is there anything I don't need or could replace with something else?

ModularGrid Rack

What kind of midi data do you use it for?
-- LYFoulidis

Mainly note on-note off (ignoring the pitch value) and CC messages. They can be pretty non-messy in terms of voltage to digital. And if a CC message gets garbled that can often be pretty neat.
So sequencers, LFOs and logic modules are what I translate into MIDI. And also round-tripping those, using a arpeggiator in Logic outputting to, say the Missed Opportunities eurorack module and getting the note on's back from that to a MIDI track.

NEVER actual note values, since you're very correct, that translation can be inaccurate easily with the pitch CV to MIID note value, not worth chasing it to accuracy.
But ramps, patterns, and logic work well because you can take a bit of randomness, that will just enhance things.

I've written a lot of MIDI software over the decades so already have some MIDI pre-filtering virtual devices installed on my DAW so getting rid of bad data, or unmatched on/off pairs, is something I've done a lot.

One of those places where you embrace randomness and glitches to create interesting music

What kind of midi data do you use it for? IME complex midi data can get glitchy, I’m curious to hear how it handles the weird voltages a modular system can spit out :)

I want to be able to use my eurorack modules with my DAW in interesting ways, so I picked up Befaco's CV Thing, a CV to MIDI converter.
Pretty straightforward build, a couple of tricky spots but not bad.
A good module, if you want to work with your DAW get this.

Build

Love the track and especially the video! The source material is great and the editing amazing too. Was this a Visualz RBG effect? However you did it, great job.
-- FredFoxtrott

Thank you for your feedback! For video editing I use Movavi Video Editor Plus 2020 - I bought it when I needed an affordable software for video work and thought I'd found the right value/ratio but it soon turned out this wasn't the case. It has a limited set of video fx with limited features on board and constantly wants me to pay for more plugins/options. The fx I used in this video is called Broken Lens and is one of the better ones Movavi has to offer.
Thanks again and best wishes,
Gabor

I am inspired by birth, death and the events inbetween.

https://youtube.com/@aphewgoodman

Yes! I tend to "mix" everything down on the synth already and only record a stereo sum. Really challenging as the synth voices are so rich and tend to fight each other a lot of times!

eng. below.
Salut la communauté,
Depuis que j'ai commencé à jouer avec le feedback (boucle de réinjection), j'étais à la recherche d'un module vraiment dédié à cette tâche. Et je pense que Dark Matter de Caspecrelectronics x Bastl Instruments est, à l'heure actuelle, la meilleure option.
bon visionnage pour ceux qu souhaite en savoir plus.
Hey community, Since I've started playing with feedback, I was looking for a "deep" module dedicated to that task. In that field, I am very VERY impressed by the Dark Matter, a collab of Casperelectronics and Bastl Instruments.
Let's get into it. In french with trusty subtitles.

F-Ly and Pause

Love the track and especially the video! The source material is great and the editing amazing too. Was this a Visualz RBG effect? However you did it, great job.

Thanks Zugga, I've really been focusing on mixing, because recording multiple synth voices almost always entails working with broad frequency ranges. Articulating every voice in the overall mix can be challenging. This track was recorded all in one go through a four channel mixer, so I've learned that getting the initial recording right is so key.

Just an Idea for your 2hp left.

Either keep them open for later expansion of a small nifty utility you need to accomplish something specific. Or something more utilitarian like a passive LPG, Meng Qi - DPLPG comes to mind (the frontplate is 2hp but the vactrols on the back are a tiny bit lager, which could make positioning a little tricky in such a packed rack.) Also it's passive! So you spare some Amps for the other modules ;)
-- zuggamasta

Ah thats a great idea actually! Heard good things about the DPLPG.

I was wondering, if with Ikarie you will get your filter-finger-fantasies covered. And then, with a heavy heart, sell Belgrad...(!)

Cause if you did you could seriously open up your rack some more! You could even get a small filter if you really wanted two, like WMD C4RBN which presumably is pretty awesome - and then you would still have a good amount of room left!

You could use it for another voice, an additional larger envelope generator like Quadrax or something and then take Cnoc out.

In general (and especially my own rack :S ...) I think envelope generators are underrepresented in a lot of racks. They are so nice for getting the best out of modules and adds potentially a lot of nice rythms to a sound/soundscape but also just simple voicings. E.g. with the help of something like Missed Opportunities to trigger them https://shop.cutelab.nyc/eurorack/missed-opportunities/

Bonus points for the well made Video and the DAW projection in front of you! Such a nice detail.

Just an Idea for your 2hp left.

Either keep them open for later expansion of a small nifty utility you need to accomplish something specific. Or something more utilitarian like a passive LPG, Meng Qi - DPLPG comes to mind (the frontplate is 2hp but the vactrols on the back are a tiny bit lager, which could make positioning a little tricky in such a packed rack.) Also it's passive! So you spare some Amps for the other modules ;)

ModularGrid Rack

Okay I gave it a try too. Still just a quick out of head version.

1. With Veils 2020 (or a clone..) you have enough VCA's to let go of Delta V. I replaced it with Cnoc from Instruo so you still got an extra envelope/function generator besides Zadar. I think that will be enough with Pam's doing stuff too.

2. Navigator from Acid Rain gives your rack some more hands on control, and a way to manipulate some cv

3. I replaced Nin with Ostankino. I think tying some extra functions to it really opens up your sequencer capabilities with Moskwa 2. You could choose a multi-channel cv generator instead though. I would look at Chaos Clank for some fun extra sequencing.

4. Nebulae is a mainstay I think. You definitely need to replace it with something similar at least - Cornflakes, Morphagene, Arbhar or something.

5. I put in Desmodus Versio so you have a delay!! (you need a dedicated delay in Modular, too fun!)

6. Then there was 2hp left. I have heard great things about Pluck, so added it for an extra voice so you have Pizza, Nebulae, Beads and Pluck as potential voices.

ModularGrid Rack

Okay I gave it a try too. Still just a quick out of head version.

1. With Veils 2020 (or a clone..) you have enough VCA's to let go of Delta V. I replaced it with Cnoc from Instruo so you still got an extra envelope/function generator besides Zadar. I think that will be enough with Pam's doing stuff too.

2. Navigator from Acid Rain gives your rack some more hands on control, and a way to manipulate some cv

3. I replaced Nin with Ostankino. I think tying some extra functions to it really opens up your sequencer capabilities with Moskwa 2. You could choose a multi-channel cv generator instead though. I would look at Chaos Clank for some fun extra sequencing.

4. Nebulae is a mainstay I think. You definitely need to replace it with something similar at least - Cornflakes, Morphagene, Arbhar or something.

5. I put in Desmodus Versio so you have a delay!! (you need a dedicated delay in Modular, too fun!)

6. Then there was 2hp left. I have heard great things about Pluck, so added it for an extra voice so you have Pizza, Nebulae, Beads and Pluck as potential voices.

17hp left. But I'm really happy with the latest additions.

Missed Opportunities:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/cutelab-missed-opportunities
My choice over mutable marbles, the random gates are cascading down, making it possible to generate rythmic drum patterns from just one clock. To make the randomness usable it's possible to reset the the current random sequence via CV and generate a new seed via a small button.

Rample:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/squarp-instruments-rample
After a lot of back and forth I landed on this sampler. The four outs are automatically removed from the mix if you plug them in (super smart). The CV assignment is fantastic and easy. The default samples are great, too. I'll report on how well it works to add my own breakbeat slices. As I think this might be quite the hassle to set up. But worth it in the end.

twitter link to a small sketch showcasing how Missed Ops can trigger interesting repeatable patterns on the Rample

Parasite Antifilter pre-orders now available from https://flightofharmony.com
Available as a $189 DIY Kit or as an assembled module for $239.

Originally intended as an EQ, the module invites numerous way to generate and modulate cascading feedback across three bands.
Feedback patching also allows the module to switch from an 11 input / 2 output module to 8 input / 5 output.
Generate ever greater amounts of CV Bias.
Turn pings, envelopes, triggers, loops, and gates into an orgy of sputtering, shrieking noise.

Hi Garfield, this one was an earworm that stayed patched for a while. Thank you, as always, for the kind words.
FF

Hi TumeniKnobs,

I love the relax-ness of this track, it relaxes me down, put me in a good and right mood and though I am sad the weekend is yet over again, your music helps me from not suffering too much of the "oh shit, this is the end of the weekend"-effect ;-)
(which the Sunday usually has as an effect on me like that, knowing that I have to work again tomorrow/Monday)

It cools me down and I am pretty sure due to your music, I can handle the upcoming week! :-) Thanks a lot for sharing this with us and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Fred,

Nice to hear from you again and thanks a lot for the detailed patch notes, very interesting!

The track is great, I love full energy and happy songs. For me this is a joy to listen at, it gives me positive energy and gives me a happy feeling! :-) Thank you very much for that and kind regards, Garfield.

P.S.: It looks like you enjoyed yourself too, great to see you at work.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

I am an AJH fanboy so I tend to praise almost everything they make. Is there anything specific you would like to know?
I'm not familiar with the Thorn.Audio brand, but AJH has a good track record of building extremely high quality modules and excellent customer service. I'm happy with all of their products.
-- farkas

... i'm looking for a wavetabel lfo and i think both of them do the job. what do you think are the main differences between those two modules and are the 100€ price difference worth buying the AJH? greetings

Maybe I misunderstand, but if you are patching the VCO outs directly into the delay, you probably won't get much -- just some weird phasing effect mostly. Sounds like what you are getting.

Put the an amp envelope between the VCO and the delay and see what happens. The VCA out of the M32 will probably do the trick.
-- the-erc

OMG thank you so much! Spent over 12 months not patching this right and wondering why I could never get delay to sound right! Now I've nailed it with the correct patching lol

Hi All! I wanted to see if I can make something cool and "musical" with a bunch of sound sources and a single krell function. I really like how this came out.

This was a one take performance recording. Minor EQing and compression added to the final mix.

The basics here are that there is a single krell function coming from Maths and multed along with the End of Cycle gate. One gate goes to the Stochastic Inspiration Generator which is providing pitch information to four oscillators (Cloud Terrarium, Piston Honda, Elements, Brenso). One gate also goes to the Subharmonicon to drive its two internal sequencers. One gate goes to the gate input of Elements.

The Krell function is driving VCAs for the Cloud Terrarium and Piston Honda, but there is no VCA controlling amplitude for Brenso or Elements. The krell is also modulating the filter cutoff of Bionic Lester (for the Piston Honda).

All four channels of SIG are tuned to some variety of Dm (minor triad, minor 7th, minor pentatonic, etc. so each sound source will never play the same notes, but they do combine to make some very interesting chords.

CT and PH are set to "traditional" krell flowy/stabby sounds, Brenso is legato, but still somewhat abrupt, while Elements is plucky with a silky timbre. The Subharmonicon is mostly set to slow attack and medium release, but gets tweaked in the performance. SubH is quite subtle in this recording but fills a lot of sonic space with at least two of its oscillators always turned up and up to five of the six are dialed in at one point.

All kinds of modulation providing lots of movement throughout. I used Triple Sloths, Tides, Kermit, Ochd, Quadrax and Planar. Effects are from Mimeophon and Starlab. Sloths is modulating the Speed and Depth of the Starlab internal LFO which occasionally does very cool things.

Cheers!

I am an AJH fanboy so I tend to praise almost everything they make. Is there anything specific you would like to know?
I'm not familiar with the Thorn.Audio brand, but AJH has a good track record of building extremely high quality modules and excellent customer service. I'm happy with all of their products.

I'm planning my first DIY case to go bigger than my current Intellijel 7U. Below is what I currently have in there. I'd initially migrate all that and add a few modules, then expand as time progresses. I'd also keep the 7U just in case, for later.

MG says this has a power consumption of 1740mA on the +12V, 830mA on the -12V and nothing on 5V. That makes me completely confused about PSUs like the Doepfer PSU3, which they use on their monster cases. They spec that PSU at +12V/2A, which is barely enough to feed my 208HP. Then -12V/1.2A which is a bit of margin. And then +5V/4A. Why? It doesn't make sense to me at all.

I'm aiming to get 500-600HP. To get to that size, Doepfer ships their monster cases with 4 PSU3s, which gets them 8A on +12V and an incredible 16A at 5V that sits completely unused. I'm not saying there are no modules that use 5V at all - I've filled a 12U monster rack on MG here with some random ideas for modules and I'm at a full total of 4A +12V, 2A -12V and... 215mA +5V. Yeah!

So instead of that, I'm looking at the Konstant Lab HammerPWR set that has +12V/5A, -12V 2.5A and a much more reasonable +5V/2A. Still considering to get the pack with 2 or 4 bus boards. With 2, I can extend with a third at a later stage and save a few bucks. With 4, it's more long term thinking, which I already noticed is a good idea in Eurorack. The 4 bus board pack costs the same as 3 PSU3s by themselves (no power brick, bus boards, ...)

ModularGrid Rack

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

MiniMod Tap-Tempo VC-LFO VS. thorn.audio VC LFO

I travel quite a lot to different countries in the EU and would like to see what modules are available where I arrive. The problem is the region option only contains EU as an option and not specific countries.

Is it possible to add countries please?