Thread: Starter kit

Possibly - the reason to use the Pams as master is that it's solid and it's easy to read the BPM - don't know the Oxi One at all - maybe you can clock that from Pams - altough vice versa is probably fine too

That should be okay:

looks cool - hope you get on well with it - I'll have to find a review...

And anyway, if I link them up, both will show the same clock. Or should at least No fun memories of trying to get a BSP to work with a Korg SQ-1 as central clock. In the end it was quickly done, of course, but it required a computer to reconfigure the BSP, which I didn't have with me at that time...

yeah only issue with bsp... always carry a macbook pro is the answer...

I have 2 filters in there now - Squawk and the Lo-Fusion. Lo-Fusion isn't very dense but I've grown to like its raw sound. Perhaps Steve's MS-22 is similar and more in less HP, because both are based on the MS-20. We'll see.

It's easy to miss the odd module - especially if it's not a common one... but if you ask me the more the merrier - I've got at least 6 in the rack and a few external ones...

I'm definitely happy I added the squawk. The always-present HPF and the flexibility are just so handy. I've used both my filters in everything I've done since the squawk arrived.

I have an old Frostwave Resonator - which is a pedal format(ish) MS20 filter... more filters is always better than more vcos - mostly vcos are vcos - filters are where the character is 90% of the time

Matrix mixer - yes, I've been thinking about that. I saw DivKid's video on the Instruo Lion and it's an interesting non-standard approach to a matrix. Doepfer is of course a good standard. I'll need to look into matrix mixers more deeply, because there are so many different possibilities (attenuverters, ...)

I saw that video too - but I think a standard one is much easier to work with and no special loopback plugs to loose!!!

That's a good point. And the Lion is TRS, too, which I understand for send/return, but that means it requires dedicated cables. Something standard has its advantages.

yeah and it's trs to dual ts cables you need and no control other than where you plug the cables in...

Adding stuff is nice, but I'm running out of space. Add a tetrapad and all 3U is full. I feel like I'll need to just do it and decide what I will keep in the rack based on what actually works.

obviously time for another case then...

Gateway drug! Escalating addiction!
-- Arrandan

tell me about it - 8 cases... 1800hp-ish... cupboard full of effects pedals... etc etc... down to 4 guitars and only 1 bass though! so swings and roundabouts...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

• Behringer Brains (as synth voice)
  • Mutable Instruments Peak (LFO / ADSR)
  • Doepfer A-180-e

no need for a buffered mult - only 1 pitch destination - so passive is fine, better yet get some stackcables or headphone splitter type mults

• Z5000 (as multi FX)
  • TipTip Forbidden Planet (Filter)
  • Erica Pico DSP
  • kNob AGNI
  • Bastl Popcorn
  • Quad Quantizer

why do you think you need a quad quantizer - you only have 1 thing that wants pitch? you mention recommendations for a sequencer below - how about one with a quantizer built in - a used metropolis for example would be a great starter sequencer...

• Quad VCA

good - but get a veils whilst you can - 2hp smaller and better features imo!

Hey guys,
I want to build my first rack to accomplish

no you want to 'accompany' - accomplish is something quite different - please check with a dictionary... I don't usually pick on incorrect use of English, as your English is way better than whatever language you speak - but it's the second time I've seen the same mistake in 2 days and, well you know....

DFAM & 0-coast. Something as a little synth for interesting bleeps & bloops for techno & basslines.
Brains is no-brainer for its price & versality.

plaits is still available, buy that instead, it's 2hp smaller and you don't sell your soul to Uli...

Maths looks a bit complicated to me so i decided to pick up Peak instead.

I have both and I find Maths to be significantly easier than Peaks... as it's one function per knob, etc - Peaks I have to look up what each knob is doing in each mode - & if you include split mode and expert mode etc there are about 19 different knob combinations - have you managed to find a peaks - they've been discontinued for a quite a while!

• Curious about filter - is it nice or there are some better alternatives?

no idea - there are always alternatives, it's very personal & the more the merrier - I have 8 or so actual filters in my rack (and a few external ones) - Plaits includes a filter so you could skip initially

• Any interested but not wide & over-complex sequencers?
  • I m planning to build it in Cre8audio Nifty Case so be able to sequence it alternatively with Ableton or AUM.

don't get 2 multi fx modules & wait and get either the new xaoc one or an fx aid xl - should be available again soonish

get a tiptop mantis - more space, that you will need sooner rather than later/better power/manufacturer has good reputation/case has good reputation/seriously better bang for buck all round - and a used beatstep pro... don't worry about unused space in the case - but do at least make some cardboard blind panels & decorate them with doodles or stickers

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Thanks for the advice, which is very useful as always, Jim. A bit deeper into them...

NP

use Pam's as the master clock in the rack - if you want to record, use an audio track with a kick on it every 16th note and run that through the es9 into Pams (set Pams to receive 4ppqn) ...

I would be using an external sequencer. Tomorrow my Oxi One should arrive to replace my BSP. Can't I just send that one's clock into Pam's?

Possibly - the reason to use the Pams as master is that it's solid and it's easy to read the BPM - don't know the Oxi One at all - maybe you can clock that from Pams - altough vice versa is probably fine too

2nd filter/effects module would probably be a good idea - change things up quickly and easily... possibly more mixing... for sub mixes of vco outputs - before hitting filter/effects

possibly replace the doepfer lfo with something like batumi (4 channels) - consider a matrix mixer with big knobs (doepfer) for combining modulation sources to get more interesting modulation

I have 2 filters in there now - Squawk and the Lo-Fusion. Lo-Fusion isn't very dense but I've grown to like its raw sound. Perhaps Steve's MS-22 is similar and more in less HP, because both are based on the MS-20. We'll see.

It's easy to miss the odd module - especially if it's not a common one... but if you ask me the more the merrier - I've got at least 6 in the rack and a few external ones...

LFO - Batumi, understood.

Matrix mixer - yes, I've been thinking about that. I saw DivKid's video on the Instruo Lion and it's an interesting non-standard approach to a matrix. Doepfer is of course a good standard. I'll need to look into matrix mixers more deeply, because there are so many different possibilities (attenuverters, ...)

I saw that video too - but I think a standard one is much easier to work with and no special loopback plugs to loose!!!

consider a control module - harlequins context, tetrapad, mtm control etc - for controlling things better...

A couple of people I know send everything to a Tesseract Sweet Sixteen to keep control in one place. Harlequin - sounds interesting, but I don't really get it immediately. I need to look at it more in-depth. Tetrapad - it's been on my radar for a while now. Looks particularly good for live sets indeed.

This is something I've been considering for a while too... I've built a number of Tesseract modules and the Sweet Sixteen looks great... I've got a TNSM v2 to build at some point - it's back of the pile at the moment though - with 15 or so modules in front!!

Adding stuff is nice, but I'm running out of space. Add a tetrapad and all 3U is full. I feel like I'll need to just do it and decide what I will keep in the rack based on what actually works.
-- Arrandan

obviously time for another case then...

advice:

use Pam's as the master clock in the rack - if you want to record, use an audio track with a kick on it every 16th note and run that through the es9 into Pams (set Pams to receive 4ppqn) ...

2nd filter/effects module would probably be a good idea - change things up quickly and easily... possibly more mixing... for sub mixes of vco outputs - before hitting filter/effects

possibly replace the doepfer lfo with something like batumi (4 channels) - consider a matrix mixer with big knobs (doepfer) for combining modulation sources to get more interesting modulation

consider a control module - harlequins context, tetrapad, mtm control etc - for controlling things better...

Thanks so much for the replies. I really like that TipTop case, although it looks like its sold out everywhere. There look to be a few on Reverb though.

if you can wait new ones turn up in stores from time to time - including a run of black ones due in a few months or so

Lots of research to do on these suggestions. I had not considered floor/expression options or an isolator but both make perfect sense. That Minimix seems cool with the panning options as well... never enough VCA's, right? Great stuff. I'm sure I will have more questions as I research.

yeah not things you think about until someone points them out... more vcas are good... as are more questions!!

I didn't mention in the first post, but I've done quite a bit of DIY building, pedals and amps. I know this is an option in eurorack, and I'm navigating options for retailers. I'm more of a "full kit" than a source parts guy. Seems like Thonk and Synthcube are the big players, Modular Addict... Are there any modules you would recommend staying away from as kits? Pedal kits sometimes get you 90-95% of the way there, but there will be a difference in the sound of an official vs clone. Is this the same in modular? Is this opening a can?
-- cdc3jj

no idea how close the DIY stuff gets to factory built modules, I suspect it's 100% - but then, a lot of the DIY modules are DIY only so it's difficult to compare - so I've never compared any DIY kits I've built to factory built modules - but I have built quite a few... tbh - kits don't save that much money - so if there's a factory built model then I'd tend to buy that, unless you really like building kits - if you want to save money sourcing your own components is the only real way to save money... and then only if you buy for quite a few modules at once and round up for price breaks and free postage and then you spend a lot of time doing all the searching and substituting components

what I have compared is a few MI builds - specifically Veils mk1 and Shades mk1 - mine are close but I think that's down to my smd soldering skills and possibly to some extent part substituting skills (it's been a while - might not have paid attention to capacitor types as much as I should have) and not the BOM or pcbs - all MI modules are open source...

also a guitar player here...
rack brute is ok - but wastes 5hp of your rack with it's rack wart... get a tiptop mantis isnstead - only a little bit more expensive - but no rack wart so over 40hp more rack space - it'll also mean you don't have to go for micro modules - you may still be able to pick up a real rings - much better ergonomics

for guitar input - take a look at the sonicsmith converter ev1 - ears only does amplification to modular level and envelope following - the ev1 adds a vco and the best pitch to cv converter available at the moment...

as a guitarist it's a good idea to be able to have some control with your feet (as you hands will be occupied with the guitar - expression pedals and on/off switches etc - addac are the people for that - or doepfer

if you already have the zoia, why would you want to duplicate it in the rack - especially as it takes up so much space - which is better used for other things - I'd swap the quad vca for a veils (should still be able to get one), 2hp smaller and better features imo

you may or may not need an output module, depending on what you are sending the signal to (most modern mixers and audio interfaces can cope with modular levels perfectly well - so unless you need balanced outputs the most you should need is some passive attenuators...

other than that filters and utilities (think plumbing - a rack without utilities is like a house without plumbing) would be what I would fill the rest of the space up with

I prefer the bottom one, but I'd dump the ladik mixer and the blank panel and add another 4* mono channels or a 4*stereo channels depending on needs...
-- JimHowell1970

Are you referring to the AI Matrix Mixer?
That‘s surprising in the past you were striking me as one of the big proponents of Matrix Mixers Jim.

-- Cangore

Haha no I was confused between the 2 cases - I mistook the AI Matrix mixer for the Ladik m-053 from the upper case...

but anyway I still prefer the bottom one - when you, inevitably, need to expand further then the tex-mix makes much more sense... as you can just add more channels rather than having to buy a whole new mixer!

I prefer the bottom one, but I'd dump the ladik mixer and the blank panel and add another 4* mono channels or a 4*stereo channels depending on needs...

why? - tex-mix is expandable - and eventually you'll probably go past this small 9u rack at which point you can just add more channels modules as you need them - which is what I'm doing: I currently have 2 * 4mono channels and a 4stereo channels - and another mono channels to debug - currently squealing like a pig... and (3hp) douts are very useful!!

Thread: First Rack

looks like a great start - but there's not enough expansion room - get a bigger case to start with - it's a cost saving in the long run - mantises are a great size for a starter case, are reasonably priced, have very good power supplies and are made by a reputable company... buy one...

looks ergonomically deficient to me.... all those 2 and 3hp modules next to each other are potentially unplayable... do yourself a huge favour - get a much bigger case and a much higher proportion of modules with proper knobs and spacing for fingers... or just get fewer modules...

no rings?

looks good though

some utilities would flesh it out nicely... happy nerding 3*MIA perhaps and maybe a second veils... for starters
-- JimHowell1970

Thanks Jim! As I understand it, the "Resonator" side of the Elements module covers a lot of what Rings can do, so I figured I'd leave out the rings (with space as tight as it is I don't think I need the overlap)

iirc there's a ringified elements firmware... but I'm not sure if it has the psuedo-polyphony of rings - I don't have elements, so I'm not sure if you can use it as an effect... I do like my Rings though!

To me it feels like there's a pretty broad range of mixing / attenuverting / VCAs in this system - but I've always worked with semimodular until now, so I may be underestimating the amount of utility needed for fully-modular from-scratch patching...

see my signature for some ideas/hints related to this...

no rings?

looks good though

some utilities would flesh it out nicely... happy nerding 3*MIA perhaps and maybe a second veils... for starters

Or you could just as easily snag one of these nondedicated switch modules that Ladik's got. SIX toggle switches, already drilled and equipped with proper pigtails for connection to most anything. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ladik-p-060-switches-

But it's got six switches! So, yeah...you can easily use the other five for any "hidden functions" that might be on any of your other modules.
-- Lugia

yeah the problem with that, though, is there'd be power headers floating around loose in the back of the case...

take mom out... then you have plenty of room...

have you seen the mylarmelodies video on how to build a small techno system on YouTube???

ok makes sense - sorry don't know anything that can do this elegantly - I'd probably go for either the vpme.de pwr & a 1hp gap (not big enough really for other things to fall through) to thread the ribbon through or a separate power supply with a wall wart, or a separate case (a 4ms pod maybe) or try to find a replacement for the 112 would be my suggestions...

another option might be to find a builder who will build you the switch - you'd only need to be able to switch the +/-ve 12v - so doable on a single dptd toggle switch - ignore the 5v and hardwire the ground... parts are under 10GBP/EUR/USD including a panel (the switch and the panel being by far the most expensive parts) - no need for a pcb - a bit of perfboard would do it... probably someone would build you one for 20 or so... maybe try modwiggler music tech subforum (there's a list of builders in the stickies - you might find one locally) or on r/synthdiy here

tbh the hardest part is the drilling of the panel for the hole to mount the switch!

not sure I've seen anything that'll do this...

which leads to the simple question of why?

if it's because of inrush overload, I'd look for a softstart dongle - iirc wmd make (or made one)

if it's 'power conservation' most single modules don't use that much power... and it won't make a great difference to the cost of running a modular if at all...

The Xaoc one appears to be stereo too!

I may well be!! I'm in one or 2...

ok so given the reliance on Pams I'd get some attenuverters/offsets - if you can find one, a Happy Nerding 3*MIA is definitely worth it!

more vcas (and other utilities in general, for that matter) is never a bad idea...

how are you sequencing?? you may or may not need a quantizer (& you could use up to 2 channels of Pams!)

modulation is probably also a good idea... but you have a decent amount in Pams, so I wouldn't worry for now....

nb on the tex-mix: if you use stereo channels - they lose the vcas, but the A & B sends work as stereo... so you get a stereo send with 2 stereo returns - which means that for mono channels you can have the original signal to one side and the return panned to the other side, or however you want it in the stereo field...

on the other hand - with the fx aid (xl)s you do get a hundred plus algorithms to choose from - including 808/909 emulations etc etc... so a lot more flexibility ++++ at least some algorithms on the fx aid are clockable, which is not at all common with fv-1 based effects modules

Tesseract mixer with Tukra and Happy Nerding fx aid would be a fun combo for small rig and few utilities like VCA, envelopes, LFO and have killer setup.
-- sacguy71

works great for a big rig too... as expandable...

also the mono channels have built in vcas... so maybe not so many needed...

generally you'd want to get 3.5mm to bnc cables - but this oscilloscope doesn't seem to support them - possibly better searching for scopes that are recommended for eurorack users (try searching on modwiggler!)

I'd probably look around based on those (they'll probably be a little bit more expensive though - unless you can find a slightly older module used...

I just use a cheap multimeter for checking my DIY builds...

personally I'd go for a expert sleepers interface (which I have) and use one of the scopes in vcvrack if I needed it - never have though...

Thread: Thoughts?

I'd agree with Lugia on every single point and add - more utility modules...

think of them as plumbing... copying signals (stackcables or hubs are great for non-pitch signals, otherwise buffered mults)... logic, sequential switches, offsets, sub-mixing, matrix mixing (see my post on the matrix mixer thread for why) etc etc etc... possibly the most important modules you can add - and even better they are generally comparatively inexpensive...

and see my signature for a formula to follow, loosely, that gives you the most versatile modular for the least expense... scales well too - from tiny to massive modular synthesizers...

I like the tesseract tex-mix - inexpensive and expandable... I've got 2 stereo and 2 mono modules - with another mono module to build...

there's a tiny bit of bleed, but not a lot (shouldn't be an issue live)

be aware of the sends - if you don't want the channel in the sends then turn the sends down...

for the stereo channels the A & B sends work as L&R so they have stereo send/return - but you do need to be aware of this with the mono channels - ie set the levels the same etc etc

well a couple of points:

the a-138m can be used for both cv and audio

if you want to use one (or I think more) of the channels as DC offsets - then you need to set the jumper on the back... if you then use jumpered channels with inputs then the normalisation of the dc-offset is broken and the input is used...

what can you use matrix mixers for:

taking n signals and getting n different signals out - this is particularly useful for:

1. mixing and routing audio signals to different outputs (ie effects/filters etc) - parallel processing/4 different mixed waveforms from a single vco etc etc

2. combining and routing modulation inputs to produce more complex modulation outputs - possibly including dc-offsets

3. adding send/return to mixers that don't have send/return - for example send stereo input (channels 1 & 2) to effects module and then return that to (channels 3 & 4) and then mix channels 1/3 & 2/4 to get a wet/dry mix on the channel 3 & 4 outputs)

4. take n sequences and mix them together to make n different sequences - basically the same as point 2 - feed into quantizers to keep everything in tune - use the offset perhaps to change octaves or root notes - this will also work with gates

etc etc etc

please post the actual link to your public rack - copy and paste the url!!!

jpgs are next to useless!

get a much bigger case: that way you build in room to expand (you will need it)

if you want to just experiment with modular before buying then try vcvrack

Can you link to the MW thread @JimHowell1970 so others get redirected? I tried to find it but it seems to get lost in the stream of topics there.
-- zuggamasta

here you go:

https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=261524

Hi thanks @jim owell 70.

NP!!!

I got just sometimes some doubts.

-- 202kwam

then ask questions - no such thing as a stupid one - just stupid answers!

don't throw out your turing machine - build some more simple(r) modules - mults, attenuators etc and learn how to use a multimeter to troubleshoot - also might be worth posting high res photos of your boards on a DIY forum/subforum (modwiggler music tech DIY subforum or r/SynthDIY, for instance) someone might see what the problems are - you've probably screwed up some solder joints, or not soldered them, or have bridges somewhere, or put something in the wrong way round (all easy things to do, if you aren't experienced or not concentrating enough...

all the things you say you want are achievable - but possibly not in a 'small' case such as this (it's not that small, but it's not that big either), mainly as you will need support modules to enable you to achieve what you want - see my signature for a hint as how to build a versatile rack for the least cash

magneto is great (and by all accounts so is starlab) but they are very large and expensive - personally I think both the hp and money are better spent in a case this size - a couple of fx aid xls will give you more versatility for less cash and less space - spend saved money and hp on modulation/utilities

I would seriously consider going external for drums (if you can) ie a drum machine - they're significantly less expensive!!!

please check modwiggler - I just explained it there for you - if you have further questions - please ask there...

Thread: "Normalized"

so do the inputs break the chain or the outputs? that's a thing, my brain does not seem to grasp.

if only the inputs break the normalling-chain, then the outputs could be used as multiples.
if the outputs break the chain, then one could use veils as a mixer.

i'm probably too stupid for normalling? :)
-- lauschepper

it's the outputs - think of it like a mixer

attenuate the output of the sample and hold before sending to the oscillator
turn the frequency of the oscillator down (you may want to tune this)
you'll probably want a quantizer

trying to learn modular synthesis on your own, without reading or watching videos or having someone 'mentor' you will make it 1000 times harder... if not verging on the impossible

to add to what @RZRO said - I'd also consider more modulation, a matrix mixer to combine modulation sources (to create more interesting ones) and a trigger/gate combiner - to create more interesting drum patterns

post the url of your public rack and help us help you!!!

Might replace maths with the module you suggested.

download and work your way through the 'maths illustrated supplement' first...it's a great introduction to self patching - think about what's going on and use it as a jumping off point...

I guess I will sell the used modules on ebay or reverb. Thanks again!
-- TheTentacleMonster

I'd try the marketplace here, or when you have enough posts the buy/sell subforum on modwiggler (if you're the same The_Tentacle_Moster - then you need another 97 posts) or facebook groups first - ebay and reverb charge for the privilige and these don't...

Thread: My maybe

start with a bigger case with a better power supply - you'll need it soon enough

start with as few modules as you think you can and learn those inside and out before adding more (and then repeat and repeat and repeat)

the tiptop tg one was afaik limited edition and so probably very difficult to source

if you want some tg goodness see the gristleizer modules from future sound systems

turing machines are often used for pitch - but require quantization

modulation - you'll want more - ochd is a decent start but something that's more controllable - ie triggered from a clock might be a good idea (Pams perhaps as it includes the clock) - as well as envelopes to turn the gate from the sq1 into something more than on/off signals - maybe an adsr module or Maths or Zadar or something similar

I'd also add more utilities - a wide ranging subject - sequential switches, logic, mixers of various sorts, attenuators etc etc - these are what add variety to patching and make patches interesting

see my signature for a philosophy of how to get the most variety from your modular for the least money - utilities tend to be, relatively, inexpensive

hope this helps and have fun

I can't imagine what the cable spread would be with 8 cases...lol

-- jb61264

well the longest cables are 3m... bright pink ones from befaco - mostly the 4 biggest sit together on a dining table and the furthest away is video - and in between sit some video modules and some that I use for both video and audio - so mostly stretching cables between the furthest cases is not that big an issue

Even so, you really needs a lot of modulation sources to make life interesting. Modulation spices up patches and can help filter sound even better!
-- sacguy71

& don't forget the utilities ffs!!!!

utilities = more variation in patching = more interesting patches = less chance of boredom setting in... both in the audio path and for modulation!

get bigger case add modulation add utilities!!!!

If you're a guitarist with lots of pedals, maybe consider something like the Bastl Hendrikson (there are other brands/models) which lets you use a pedal within your modular setup. I have one and just bought the Empress Effects EchoSystem...lots of fun
-- jb61264

I think that's something like what the OP has been doing - and doesn't like - adding a pedal interface isn't going to make any difference - the Hendrikson seems to be a good module, but wasn't it discontinued a couple of years ago?

Personally I like both approaches - as no OCD when it comes to cables or to having everything spread out - 8 cases means cables all over the place - the more the merrier in my book!

now I really must do some hoovering and relocate my digital piano to the living room!

Thread: Arpeggiator?

please explain how you think the polyend poly 2 will route an arpeggio from the keystep to different instruments...

I don't think it will work how you envision it - perhaps something like shifty would work better?

fx aid does way more than a cathedral... there's 100ish algorithms to choose from - remember to save the pdf of what you've chosen and print it or keep it open on your computer/tablet/phone for easy reference... I updated mine and lost the pdf... so flying blind at the moment!

Modulation and utilities...

modulation:
Stages is great - grab one whilst you can (will be discontinued soon)
Batumi/nin & Zadar/poti are very good
Chaos is useful so something like the nonlinear circuits triple sloth
Random is also very useful - there are lots of random/noise sources out there

A great technique is to mix your modulations together - I like a matrix mixer for this... I;ve got a couple of smaller DIY ones, but if I was doing it again I'd go for a doepfer (or 2) and maybe a 4ms vcam... may do this in the future - either upgrade or add

utiltiies:
sequential switches - the cheap doepfer one is great

mixers of all sorts - matrix and various sorts of unity mixer, with or without voltage control, I tend towards dc-coupled ones as they can be used with modulation as well as audio, but something based on the moog cp3 might work well for you with the semis as it can add a bit of grit...

logic: you've already got a bit in maths, but the joranalogue compare 2 adds another interesting take - many more logic functions and works around windows (so you can set the comparable ranges of the signals, which is a useful feature)

rectification: always useful - I used to recommend the mutable instruments kinks module (as it had this and logic and smaple and hold) but it's been discontinued - there may be stock left, used ones available and there is a clone version - really handy

wmd/ssf toolbox is also really handy - lots of utilitiy functions in a small space (again I think discontinued, but available in stores still)

attenuators/attenuverters/offsets - these are so useful for reducing/inverting and shifting modulation signals around - happy nerding 3*mia would be my first choice these days - but happy nerding is based in the ukraine so no idea on availability

vcas - not just for audio - use them for modulation too

precision adders - want to transpose a sequence - use a precision adder - there are multi channel ones available

ok...

so you have 176hp - 5 for the rack wart, 20 for maths and 12 for the quad vca = 139hp spare... plenty of room... for anything...

high end big modules - take a look at the strymon magneto and starlab... magneto also includes a looper and a sampler...

mid priced small modules - happy nerding fx aid (I'd go xl for the extra modulation and slightly better ergonomics) or the newer alm fx module - or the endorphin.es milkyway or the erica pico dsp - most of these are built on the same dsp platform - I'd go for the fx aid myself as its more flexible being updatable - but may be difficult to source due to the war...

lower price modules - there's a few spring reverbs available - frequency central and doepfer come to mind - and a some bbd delays - again doepfer...

personally I think I'd try to stick with the pedals and spend the money on modulation and utilities for the rack... & maybe a different type of filter - wasp or sem (doepfer are decent, especially for the money) or go with (wait for) the fx aid xl...

have fun!

an aversion to cables is not going to be helped by replacing pedals with modules, is it really? - you're just shifting from one set of cables to another and probably more of them as in rack effects want modulating...

but saying that:

what pedals do you wish to replace and how much racks space do you have to house them?

Hmmm

That's my battleship sunk :-(
-- rextable

not really - you just need to rethink a little...

hopefully you weren't intending to buy all of this at once anyway... better to go slowly and learn the modules you have, inside and out, before buying more modules... and then repeating!

so just get a 6u case - start buying modules and as you do put some money aside for the next case...

if you can manage to save ((cost of case/hp) * hp of module) for each module you buy like this - by the time the case is full, the next case is paid for...

you'll probably make a few changes along the way - but that's how it is... and should be... no plan survives contact with the enemy (no matter what the enemy is...

have fun!

Okay

Midi module is gone. Replaced with a mult for the Pam's for clock distro. This should in tern free up Pam's outputs for more creative applications I also dropped the Befaco IO - it was pointless given how this case will be integrated into my studio.

Unless people can point out any glaring issues or omissions, I think I'm there design wise.

Thoughts and/or optimisations anyone?

can you please link to your latest public rack (copy and paste the url)

The total power output of the Doepfer P9 PSU3 Case is as follows:

Output + 12 V (mA): 2000
Output - 12 V (mA): 1200
Output 5 V (mA): 4000

The consumption of this system is: 2164 mA +12V | 1025 mA -12V | 0 mA 5V

Is that +12V rail going to be a problem?
-- rextable

yes almost definitely on the +ve rail and quite likely on the -ve rail as well!

you really need to leave 25-30% headroom on each rail to allow for both inaccurate power consumption figures and inrush spikes...

I'd want at least 2800mA on the +ve rail and 1300mA on the -ve rail...

this is the big failing with the doepfer 9u cases - not quite enough power , as they use the same power as the 8u - where the power is sufficient... either find someway to reduce the power consumption or consider 2 * 6u - which will leave you with some expansion space (which is never a bad idea)

anal-log sounds painful - I'd buy an analog mixer if I were you!!

sub-mixing and attenuation is really useful in the rack - so I'd get some if I were you!

stacked cables should always be kept to a minimum - by chaining them instead of stacking them!

whats the use case for the midi->cv module?
-- JimHowell1970

I am anal-log! :-D

To answer your question: Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, the Keystep Pro's knobs only output midi. The Keystep has a usb midi output and thus I thought the little 2HP midi module was a no-brainer. It's cheap and cheerful and better than nothing. If this is not the case then I can drop the midi module.

I have a more general question for peeps: Is there a way to make CV outputs on the Keystep Pro accessible via Ableton Live?

-- rextable

re:keystep knobs - I'd read the manual - I suspect you'd want both more channels, and a midi->cv converter that works with midi cc - I suspect that the 2hp midi module only works with a single channel of pitch/gate... maybe have a look at the befaco midi thing... but note that midi is stepped 0-127 - whereas a truly analog rotary controller will be continuous within the specified range

the cv outputs should be duplicated in midi - again read the manual

anal-log sounds painful - I'd buy an analog mixer if I were you!!

sub-mixing and attenuation is really useful in the rack - so I'd get some if I were you!

stacked cables should always be kept to a minimum - by chaining them instead of stacking them!

whats the use case for the midi->cv module?

veils for vcas - 4 vcas in 10hp - and actual amplifiers...

matrix mixers - Ive got a couple of DIY ones, but if I was going to get just one now I'd go for the doepfer due to ergonomics - if you want voltage control, then the 4ms VCAM

sequential switch - again the doepfer one is inexpensive and does what it says it does

logic - joranalogue compare2

also can't go wrong with happy nerding 3MIA (or their 3VCA), mutable kinks and links (or clones now they've been discontinued) or the WMD/SSF toolbox (if you can find one, again discontinued)