As I said, I liked it a lot. There is a really good demo on youtube on the e330. The only minus might be that it does not go down super low; but you can still get some nice bass out of it, so that's ok I would say.

+1 for the Synth tech e330, I liked that one a lot.
You might also want to check out the Malekko Osc and Anti-Osc. They make up a fantastic combo and are not too expensive if you find them second hand.

Hi Janvf,
yes, this is a good start, I would say.
It's good to start with a small collection of modules and get to know them before you expand. And of course you will expand sooner or later ... so it is also a good idea to buy a sufficiently sized case now already. The Doepfer-case will be fine for that. With the included PSU you won't need the Uzeus, however.
So -- if you're interested in Rings or Clouds, why not watch one or two youtube-clips to find out what you could do with those? Maybe you'll then decide to swap the uzeus for one of them.
Or you might have a look at all those interesting filters out there... endless possibilities. But you're doing it just right, start with your planned combination and go slow. There's tons of cool stuff you can do with those modules already.
Have fun!

Thread: Patch cables

I have some black market cables and like them a lot. Matttech also sells eowave cables which are similar and also really nice.
And of course stackcables are absolutely great.

Yes, nothing against the Malekko 4hp via; I just meant that you might have trouble finding one.
You can't go wrong with the Intellijel vca. Xaoc Tallin or the Malekko Vca in 6hp should also be nice.
I don't know the 2hp-vca, but this has the advantage to give you two additional vcas of course, which is nice...

This looks like a cool set-up!
I think the Malekko vca is out of production (at least the 4 HP version), so you would have to buy that one used.
An alternative could be to choose another quantizer, for example from Intellijel, Doepfer, or Topobrillo or the Penrose quantizer... lots of possibilities.
This way you could free some HP and then choose another Vca.

Anyways, seems like a cool set-up that will sound absolutely great!

And thanks a lot also to @pixfoil for a Random Source ncom; working perfectly. Thank also for the "special delivery service" to Berlin.

Recently bought a module in perfect condition for a very fair price from the friendly @loopspool. Thanks a bunch. Highly recommended seller!!

Just sold my E-330 VCO to the super-friendly @banalytic. Was a pleasure. Thanks a lot!

Great. You'll have lots of fun!
If you want to use external effects you could also think about getting an external mixer and have the pedals in the aux/send-return there.

Hi!
And welcome, Craig. I think you already got a lot of very specific and detailed feedback from Lugia.
One thing though: if you're new to modular, start slowly!
Don't buy three rows full of stuff at once without knowing what the things do. Get to know your setup. This will also help you to figure out what you really need and want. (And it will save you from selling tons of expensive stuff here again three months later!)
So, I really don't think that it is necessary to start with 7-8 VCOs. Start with two or three to see what they can do and how you want them to sound, which functions you like.
Apart from that, Lugias advise will really help - all the important stuff in there.

Best,
phineas

Great! Looks good to start with and find out about the basics.
Once you've done that you will know much better what suits you and you can still check out more special stuff then.
Have fun!

Oh, and if you have the possibility: go to a local synth store, check out some modules, talk to people, find out what you want and need!

Cool! I would still recommend getting rid of the Doepfer A-138p performance mixer. There are more important modules to start with and if you plan a rather small rack at first (which is absolutely the right way to go!) it is oversized. Plus, your maths and the intellijel vca can mix signals.
So I'd very much advise to get a proper VCO in its place. That is something you really need.

Also a nice filter is a good choice. You had one in there before, right? Doepfer has some good ones, but there is really a ton out there. Same infinity of choices as with VCOs...

And you might check out the disting: It is a slim module with lots of functions; might be helpful if you don't have much rackspace.

Also, try to figure out which modules suit the music you want to make. If you want to play melodies you might consider getting a sequencer. If you want to do droney/ambient stuff that might not be soo important (although still good!).

Most probably you won't need an audio out. If for example you want to record stuff on your computer you can probably go directly from a vca (or whatever) into the interface. Normally interfaces can handle the hot (loud) output of a modular. (But it's best to check that out before hand.)

Generally speaking it is good to start with a few modules and get to know them really well before expanding your system.
It is also the best way to not get frustrated by an overkill of possibilities at the start.

Good luck and... have fun!

Hi Jaysus,

and welcome! You got most of the basics covered - you should get a VCO as the voice of your system, though. The range of choices here is huge (starting with the question of analog/digital...). Intellijel's dixie might be somethingm, or the Tiptop Z3000, or the WMD spectrum, Doepfer has a selection of VCOs as well ...
You might throw out the Performance mixer to clear rackspace for that.
Also, you should get a dedicated VCA. I can really recommend Intellijel's uVCA. It's not too expensive and does not take up too much space.
Finally, I am not sure if you need the multiple really.
Hope that helps you on a bit.
Best,
phineas

Recently bought a 2HP Batumi Expander from the friendly @echox. Thanks a lot for the smooth transaction!

Sold my Pip Slope to the very friendly @ghee hgt. Thank you for the smooth transaction!